PDA

View Full Version : If we lose, we win.....

trojandad
11-03-2009, 11:26 PM
after several exchanges with wos87, I think we have figured this situation out.....

If we lose to liberty on fri, shepherd goes as our 3rd team, we play bridge city and shepherd plays wo-s.....if we win, we get wo-s for the second year......

aren't ethics great ?!?!? :devil:

HEMOTOXIC
11-03-2009, 11:40 PM
LOL, so, what's the verdict?

trojandad
11-03-2009, 11:44 PM
i don't know, because honestly liberty is having such a poor year this year i don't know if they would win even if we rested the starters and played our B team.....no dig on liberty, most years they play us tough, they just have a rough go of it this year......

its funny, 87 and i neither one knew this option was available until a few minutes ago.......complete shocker.....

Twirling Time
11-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Interesting because Frisco Liberty (in 9-4A) is in the same boat. They can get a better playoff position by losing this Friday.

If they beat McKinney, they go up against Highland Park. If they lose, they get an easier game against Rockwall Heath. HP beat Liberty 42-14 earlier this year.

The trick is not to make it look too obvious.

thepatriot
11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
you guys are kinda late with this one. Huffman people were talking about this last Friday night.

trojandad
11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
we're only a "recognized" school, what do you expect ?!?! :rolleyes: :thumbsup: :crazy:

crzyjournalist03
11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I would absolutely love a team in one of these situations to call their opponent for the week and forfeit. It would bring to a head the silliness that is the football playoff brackets, and maybe force the UIL to examine alternatives.

Among ideas I'd prefer over the current school-size based bracket model:

A championship bracket and consolation bracket. All district champions go to the championship bracket while other qualifiers go to the consolation. Tiebreakers would have to be used to settle some "co-district" championships, but it would definitely add intensity to the district schedules.

A seeded bracket. UIL seeds tournaments for individual sports like tennis, and wouldn't it be fun for them to do the same with football? Imagine how exciting it would be for schools to wait and find out where they're ranked. Even top teams would have to fight it out. "What? We're a three seed? We should be a #1!"

A playoff lottery. Opponents determined by a Texas state lottery in which people can buy tickets predicting playoff matchups. The Texas lottery would support Texas education.

buff4ever
11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I would absolutely love a team in one of these situations to call their opponent for the week and forfeit. It would bring to a head the silliness that is the football playoff brackets, and maybe force the UIL to examine alternatives.

Among ideas I'd prefer over the current school-size based bracket model:

A championship bracket and consolation bracket. All district champions go to the championship bracket while other qualifiers go to the consolation. Tiebreakers would have to be used to settle some "co-district" championships, but it would definitely add intensity to the district schedules.

A seeded bracket. UIL seeds tournaments for individual sports like tennis, and wouldn't it be fun for them to do the same with football? Imagine how exciting it would be for schools to wait and find out where they're ranked. Even top teams would have to fight it out. "What? We're a three seed? We should be a #1!"

A playoff lottery. Opponents determined by a Texas state lottery in which people can buy tickets predicting playoff matchups. The Texas lottery would support Texas education.

won't ever happen, but keep dreaming big

44INAROW
11-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
after several exchanges with wos87, I think we have figured this situation out.....

If we lose to liberty on fri, shepherd goes as our 3rd team, we play bridge city and shepherd plays wo-s.....if we win, we get wo-s for the second year......

aren't ethics great ?!?!? :devil:

you don't think a team would throw a game on purpose for a better seed in the playoffs do you? :doh: :devil: :eek: :D I just can't imagine that :nerd:

DaHop72
11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
you don't think a team would throw a game on purpose for a better seed in the playoffs do you? :doh: :devil: :eek: :D I just can't imagine that :nerd: I''m with you 44, I just can't imagine that ever happening in Texas football. :doh: :doh:

Hasbeen
11-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Imagine that. . . .Might want to give Coach Willie Williams at La Vega a call and let him fill you in on how it is done. Especially if you are not too interested in whether or not it is obvious.

WO-S 89
11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Hasbeen
Imagine that. . . .Might want to give Coach Willie Williams at La Vega a call and let him fill you in on how it is done. Especially if you are not too interested in whether or not it is obvious.

I think its sad to lose a game on purpose but it did help La Vega make it to the title game in DI, because if they would have gone DII than more than likely they would have been beaten in rd. 2 by Gilmer that year.

trojandad
11-04-2009, 08:08 PM
well, personally, i wouldn't throw a game on purpose because years later my players would be old fat guys chatting on a 3a chat board with their smart aleck teen football playing sons calling me the worse coach they had in their lives.......:eek: :eek: :eek:

(yes, i'm overweight......)

seriously, if coldspring were to be behind in the 4th qtr against liberty this friday and use the clock the same way they (mis)used the clock against cleveland this past fri, people would say we were throwing the game whereas that wasn't said against cleveland since the assumption was we wanted to win against the indians......

i don't know, some of you guys know coach barbay from newton better than me, i only know what i hear, but i don't perceive him (or his boys) to be someone who would chunk a game to run from a team....

WOS87
11-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Newton (Curtis Barbay) is 0-6 against WO-S (Dan Hooks) all-time including WO-S giving Newton the one and only loss in their 1998 State Championship season... (not to feed fuel to the fire) although I'm sure it will. I would imagine the Barbay family is totally itching to take another crack at us.

1988 WOS 24, Newton 0
1989 WOS 47, Newton 9
1996 WOS 12, Newton 6
1997 WOS 30, Newton 0
1998 WOS 10, Newton 0
1999 WOS 18, Newton 0

trojandad
11-05-2009, 01:55 AM
one and the same.....i think the other son is at anahuac (correct me if i'm wrong).....the son who is here is just as distant as his dad.....i was over the booster club there when he arrived and he was polite, never mean or rude, but he's just there to do a job.....i don't think he could pick me out of a lineup if he had to, lol.......;) ;) ;)

do you think the newton barbay would toss a game to get a better playoff spot, 87? just curious....

WOS87
11-05-2009, 01:57 AM
one and the same.....i think the other son is at anahuac (correct me if i'm wrong).....the son who is here is just as distant as his dad.....i was over the booster club there when he arrived and he was polite, never mean or rude, but he's just there to do a job.....i don't think he could pick me out of a lineup if he had to, lol.......;) ;) ;)

do you think the newton barbay would toss a game to get a better playoff spot, 87? just curious....

Absolutely not! Read the post I edited above

trojandad
11-05-2009, 02:05 AM
i agree.....i mean if your goal is to get to the second round, then maybe.....don't know any coach that doesn't choose to go after the whole banana.......

WOS87
11-05-2009, 02:14 AM
i agree.....i mean if your goal is to get to the second round, then maybe.....don't know any coach that doesn't choose to go after the whole banana.......

It really did seem like La Vega tanked the game last year (only my opinion) and the consequence was that they moved from D2 to D1 and thus avoided both Gilmer and Carthage (as well as a possible rematch with WO-S) in D2 Region III.

If Coldspring loses this week they may have a supposed weaker opponent in Bi-district (although I'm sure there are a lot of Bridge City fans that would disagree), but on that side of the bracket they'd still run into 24-3A Champ Caldwell in the 2nd rnd (a team that is currently ranked ahead of WO-S in pretty much every poll and ranking I've seen) not to mention having Carthage waiting on the sidelines to likely meet them in the 3rd round.

I don't see the point if the ultimate goal is the State Championship. If the season goal was to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs then I'd say go for it.