PDA

View Full Version : Better by subtraction.....

trojandad
11-03-2009, 05:46 PM
The entire time our LB and RB James Scott was coming up through school, I was always curious just how good our team would be. He was such a load. But by last year's end we were just a one game and out playoff team....

This year we have no real star, about six different running backs with similar skills and yet Coach Barbay has them playing MUCH better team ball....

While I can still see such things as clock management and end of game play calling that can use help, our team is playing with a real confidence I haven't seen since our 90's teams. Should Tarkington lose and we play WO-S the first round, this will be a much better game than last year.....

Anyone else have a better team this year after losing a real stud?

Pendragon13
11-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Sometimes I think it's better to not have any real "star" players on your team. Players that stand out too much give opposing coaches something to concentrate on and neutralize. And if your team is the one with the star players...what happens if one or more gets hurt or the opposing teams figures out how to make them a non-factor? Things can go bad very quickly. I'm a Abilene Wylie fan, and they rarely have any true star players on any team...a deep bench usually takes care of that. When you have four good running backs, a slew of sure handed receivers and numerous defensive players that can play...it sort of shuts the door on any one player standing out too much.

lostaussie
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I got one but I would rather not bring it up :D

BwdLion73
11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Sometimes I think it's better to not have any real "star" players on your team. Players that stand out too much give opposing coaches something to concentrate on and neutralize. And if your team is the one with the star players...what happens if one or more gets hurt or the opposing teams figures out how to make them a non-factor? Things can go bad very quickly. I'm a Abilene Wylie fan, and they rarely have any true star players on any team...a deep bench usually takes care of that. When you have four good running backs, a slew of sure handed receivers and numerous defensive players that can play...it sort of shuts the door on any one player standing out too much.

I agree Pendragon13, 'Warning Old timer report'....I recall in the book "Sprit" by Carlton Stowers G. Wood said that one of his most talented teams he ever coached was his 1973 team. His comment was...I could never get them to play together...
That team coached by that man did not even win district that year.

crabman
11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm a Abilene Wylie fan, and they rarely have any true star players on any team

Case Keenum is not exactly chopped liver. He did a number on us.

Pendragon13
11-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Case Keenum is not exactly chopped liver. He did a number on us. He is the "rare" part. I believe Wylie has only put one player in the NFL (back in the early 90's) and Keenum is the biggest college star yet.

IHStangFan
11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Needville is playing MUCH better team ball this year than in recent years in my opinion. There are no real standout "stars" per say, but all contribute and all do a damn good job.

We've got 2 RBs w/ over 500yds rushing, one w/ over 300 and one w/ over 150...w/ 3 more w/ about 50 yds.

We've got two guys w/ over 200yds receiving & two more w/ over 100yds.

Most of these kids play both ways w/ 7 INTs among them on D. Our QB also plays Safety and has 2 of those INTs.