PDA

View Full Version : Playoff tie breakers

Keith7
11-03-2009, 05:18 PM
What are the tie breakers if two teams are tied going into the playoffs?? I always thought head-to-head would be the first thing to break up a tie but someone was trying to say there is a point system too.. Does anyone know anything about that?

ziggy29
11-03-2009, 05:21 PM
It can vary by district, but it would seem very unusual not to use head-to-head for a two-way tie.

Keith7
11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok I just figured out where the point sytem might come into play.. what if there is a three way tie where all the teams beat eachother

ccmom
11-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
What are the tie breakers if two teams are tied at the end of the playoffs?? I always thought head-to-head would be the first thing to break up a tie but someone was trying to say there is a point system too.. Does anyone know anything about that?

How can two teams be tied at the end of the playoffs? :doh: ;)

Keith7
11-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
How can two teams be tied at the end of the playoffs? :doh: ;)

dang it, you got me on that one :doh: :doh:

Ranger Mom
11-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Ok I just figured out where the point sytem might come into play.. what if there is a three way tie where all the teams beat eachother

That happened to us one year....everyone in the top 3 had a win over one of the other 2.

Keith7
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That happened to us one year....everyone in the top 3 had a win over one of the other 2.

So what happened?

XtremeCouture
11-03-2009, 06:04 PM
margin of victory/loss and whoever has the highest wins. or friday night lights, flip a coin

Keith7
11-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
margin of victory/loss

If this were the tiebreaker does that mean in games between the three teams or for the entire season??

PhiI C
11-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I remember one year they didn't have a three way tie breaker system when Taft, Refugio and Aransas Pass were in the same district. I'm not sure of the scores but it was something like Taft over Aransas Pass 12-8, Aransas Pass over Refugio 15 - 7 and Refugio over Taft 21 - 7.

By Points differences it was

1. Refugio +6 (14 points over Taft less 8 points lost to Aransas Pass)
2. Aransas Pass +4 (8 points over Refugio less 4 points lost to Taft)
3. Taft -10 (4 points over Aransas Pass less 14 point loss to Refugio)

At that time only 2 teams could advance. Unfortunately or fotunately depending on your point of view this system was not agreed to before the the season started so they had to do the coin flip and Refugion won outright the coin flip so they won it by both systems and Taft beat out Aransas Pass in the coin flip and advanced.

Ranger Mom
11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
So what happened?

I couldn't remember...it was back in 2004, I think.

Here is the answer I was given back then when I asked about that scenario:

Originally posted by GWOOD
As far as the trophy goes, it is a co-championship, unless they have changed something recently, like in the last two years. Tie breakers such as head to head, point system, and coin toss come into play only when determining playoff seeding.