PDA

View Full Version : Navasota vs. Madisonville

rattler<>10
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
What happens this week? Who goes to playoffs?

HEMOTOXIC
11-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Navasota is the more talented of the two. But, which Navasota team will show up?

martwayne
11-02-2009, 09:34 PM
i believe the navasota team that played belleville will show up this week in madisonville. if that team shows up, navasota will be fine. i do know that we should not take them lightly, and that who ever does the play calling needs to open the play book up completly. dont hold back anything, go for the win early and never let up until the final whistle is blown. lets go rattlers you win and your in then we can play ball.

navasota 42
madisonville 21

p.s. to much rattler D for the mustangs also is key in this win

Yoe_09
11-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by martwayne
i believe the navasota team that played belleville will show up this week in madisonville. if that team shows up, navasota will be fine. i do know that we should not take them lightly, and that who ever does the play calling needs to open the play book up completly. dont hold back anything, go for the win early and never let up until the final whistle is blown. lets go rattlers you win and your in then we can play ball.

navasota 42
madisonville 21

p.s. to much rattler D for the mustangs also is key in this win
Yeah I would open up the play book if I were you. I watched Navasota in 2 games this year and it seems like they run the qb too much. They should either try some more designed run plays or just pass more.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
what happens with playoffs in this district based on this week?

navscanmaster
11-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
Yeah I would open up the play book if I were you. I watched Navasota in 2 games this year and it seems like they run the qb too much. They should either try some more designed run plays or just pass more.

Wierd, they didn't hardly even run him against Cameron. They either passed an entire series, or ran an entire series. Either way it was with 5 blockers trying to block 7 or 8 defenders. Not exactly a profile of an offensive genius, but what do I know?:crazy1:

Yoe_09
11-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Wierd, they didn't hardly even run him against Cameron. They either passed an entire series, or ran an entire series. Either way it was with 5 blockers trying to block 7 or 8 defenders. Not exactly a profile of an offensive genius, but what do I know?:crazy1:

You have the players to get some major points of the board, I would just run some more unique offensive plays. I do personally like the slants you were running.

navscanmaster
11-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
You have the players to get some major points of the board, I would just run some more unique offensive plays. I do personally like the slants you were running.

The slants are always there. But with the pressure Caldwell and Cameron brought, they would have been more effective at 5-7 yards instead of 10-15. Fedora knows what he is facing this week. Navasota controls its own destiny. With a win, they are still second in district and the division I representative. With a loss, they have a few days off to get ready for Brookshire Royal in the thump-thump opener.

Old Tiger
11-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Win and your in game...go Rattlers! The Madisonville runningback is FAST

navscanmaster
11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Win and your in game...go Rattlers! The Madisonville runningback is FAST

Brock is very fast. So is the Rattler defense. I think we match up well with their skill positions on defense. I am worried about our run game being effective, and the Mustang secondary is ridiculously adept at intercepting even good passes. Howard Harris is a ball hawk on the defensive side. That said, if Navasota can run the ball for first downs, the Mustang D may wear down.

trojandad
11-03-2009, 05:54 PM
All of you that have seen and know Navasota well please tell me, should they lose to Madisonville (God forbid, lol), where would you rate your Rattlers......?? Just curious for opinions....

navscanmaster
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
All of you that have seen and know Navasota well please tell me, should they lose to Madisonville (God forbid, lol), where would you rate your Rattlers......?? Just curious for opinions....

Let's see, 28 districts in 3A, three playoff teams from each district. A loss by Navasota puts them out of the playoffs. So #85 would be right, huh?

j/k, I know that they would still beat plenty of playoff teams, but it wouldn't matter what their ranking would be, since they wouldn't be playing anymore.

trojandad
11-03-2009, 06:15 PM
ok, I could read they would still be in the playoffs, and understand it wouldn't matter, was just asking people that have seen them how much it would sway how far somone thought a team could go that was rated as high as one of the four best teams in the state earlier in the year....would have to have some kind of effect on that estimate.......

OldBison75
11-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I still think that based on talent alone, this is a top 20 Rattler team. The problem they have is that they sometimes come out flat and when they do they have trouble turning on the switch. It seems that any team can indeed lose at any given time, and I hope the Rattlers have had thier "off" nights already this season. I look for a Rattler win in a tough game against Madisonville, followed by a good playoff run. If the focused team goes on the field, they are as good as anyone in 3A.

navscanmaster
11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I still think that based on talent alone, this is a top 20 Rattler team. The problem they have is that they sometimes come out flat and when they do they have trouble turning on the switch. It seems that any team can indeed lose at any given time, and I hope the Rattlers have had thier "off" nights already this season. I look for a Rattler win in a tough game against Madisonville, followed by a good playoff run. If the focused team goes on the field, they are as good as anyone in 3A.

Trojandad, OldBison75 is basically right. I know it is all a matter of perception and opinion, but I am sure if you asked Bellville, Rockdale, Palestine, Hearne, Henderson, Taylor and Rudder, they would all say that the Rattlers they faced were pretty salty. Ask Cameron and Caldwell about the Rattler defense, since the offense didn't impress in those games. The defense has been the only consistency on the team this year. They have given the offense more than enough support. On average, the defense has only given up 10.2 points per game. The Cameron kickoff strip to start the game was the only non-defensive TD given up all year long. I don't think any of us are under the illusion that they are top 5 or top 10 anymore. But if I were a playoff team, I wouldn't want to line up against the Rattlers.

ProudHornetMom
11-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Trojandad, OldBison75 is basically right. I know it is all a matter of perception and opinion, but I am sure if you asked Bellville, Rockdale, Palestine, Hearne, Henderson, Taylor and Rudder, they would all say that the Rattlers they faced were pretty salty. Ask Cameron and Caldwell about the Rattler defense, since the offense didn't impress in those games. The defense has been the only consistency on the team this year. They have given the offense more than enough support. On average, the defense has only given up 10.2 points per game. The Cameron kickoff strip to start the game was the only non-defensive TD given up all year long. I don't think any of us are under the illusion that they are top 5 or top 10 anymore. But if I were a playoff team, I wouldn't want to line up against the Rattlers.

:iagree:

IHStangFan
11-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I expect the Rattlers to show up and take care of business.

HEMOTOXIC
11-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I sure hope that the Rattlers come out ready to play. Coming off the loss to Caldwell, the Rattlers came out ready to play against Rockdale. Hopefully the snakes will play solid the entire 4 quarters like we know that they can. It will be a shame for a team as good as Navasota to not make the playoffs.

I will probably miss this game. Hopefully, not too many people will decide to visit the er on Friday so that I can listen to the game on the internet. :(

Go Blue! (Rattler Blue that is!)

trojandad
11-03-2009, 11:14 PM
i guess it shows how little i've been paying attention, but i had no idea navasota wouldn't go to the playoffs if they lost to madisonville........if that happened, who would go from your district?

HEMOTOXIC
11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
i guess it shows how little i've been paying attention, but i had no idea navasota wouldn't go to the playoffs if they lost to madisonville........if that happened, who would go from your district?

There is a 4 way tie for 2nd/3rd with Rockdale, Navasota, Madisonville, and Cameron all sitting at 3-2 in district.

Rockale @ Taylor.
Navasota @ Madisonville.
Caldwell @ Cameron.

I believe Cameron gets in if Rockdale loses to Taylor, they beat Caldwell, and Madisonville loses.

The winner of Navasota/Madisonville is in.

Rockdale is in with a win.

I may be wrong, but, Im sure that someone will correct me.

Yoefan11
11-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
There is a 4 way tie for 2nd/3rd with Rockdale, Navasota, Madisonville, and Cameron all sitting at 3-2 in district.

Rockale @ Taylor.
Navasota @ Madisonville.
Caldwell @ Cameron.

I believe Cameron gets in if Rockdale loses to Taylor, they beat Caldwell, and Madisonville loses.

The winner of Navasota/Madisonville is in.

Rockdale is in with a win.

I may be wrong, but, Im sure that someone will correct me.

I Think your just about right, but I'm pretty sure the outcome of this game doesnt affect Cameron's playoff hopes, other than that your right on I believe...

Superbacker 00'
11-04-2009, 08:31 AM
The Rattlers are a great football team...at times so unless they change their attack week to week I think we may have 3 games left this season at the most. Everybody knows the trick to beat Navasota thats is to spy #12 and make the Rattlers beat you with his arm and the other ten players on the field. One more thing the O line has the biggest D1 prospect joke (#79 Calhoon)I've ever seen I have been watching him for three yrs. and I am more impressed with the back up centers play since Mcduffy went out then the entire history of #79.......... the Biggest Non impact player in Rattler history @ 6'7 300lbs:mad:

HEMOTOXIC
11-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Superbacker 00'
The Rattlers are a great football team...at times so unless they change their attack week to week I think we may have 3 games left this season at the most. Everybody knows the trick to beat Navasota thats is to spy #12 and make the Rattlers beat you with his arm and the other ten players on the field. One more thing the O line has the biggest D1 prospect joke (#79 Calhoon)I've ever seen I have been watching him for three yrs. and I am more impressed with the back up centers play since Mcduffy went out then the entire history of #79.......... the Biggest Non impact player in Rattler history @ 6'7 300lbs:mad:

:wave: :stirpot:

navscanmaster
11-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Careful with your choice of words on this board. It is borderline as far as attacking a player. While I agree somewhat that Calhoun is not playing to his potential, when he does turn it on, he is a beast.

Yoe_09
11-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Im not sure about the prospects on this team and how good they actually are, but I do feel they could try to open things up a bit. They do try to run the QB a little too much and or the read play. If they can open things up against the Madisonville team i think they could expose them if the field is dry.

trojandad
11-04-2009, 08:36 PM
why is their so much talk this year about doing well "if the field is dry"? you guys don't really see navasota as a team hampered more by water than the other team, are you?

navscanmaster
11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
why is their so much talk this year about doing well "if the field is dry"? you guys don't really see navasota as a team hampered more by water than the other team, are you?

No, but apparently others do. We beat Hearne at their place 27-0 and ran up 400 yards of offense on a muddy field in the pouring rain. There was no excuse for the effort they showed offensively against Caldwell or Cameron. There were some calls that weren't made correctly in the Cameron game, but if we were as good as we were billed, those few calls wouldn't have made a difference. I'll say it again, I still think we have one of the top defenses in the state, and the Massey ratings seem to agree. They will always give our offense plenty of opportunities to pull out the win.

Yoe_09
11-04-2009, 10:40 PM

I just feel it will just give Madisonville a much bigger advantage because they run most of the game. I think that the spread anyway you cut it is affected more by the field conditions. I still think that Navasota can and should get the win this Friday.

trojandad
11-05-2009, 12:19 AM
i was at the hearne game and i think you guys looked great on a wet field......but i think you guys would have been that much better than them on a dry field, too.....

Superbacker 00'
11-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Scannmaster Your right I should not call a player by name and that is a rookie mistake. I will reframe from doing so in the future.

HEMOTOXIC
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Ok Peeps, one more day till game time. It hasn't rained in almost a week. And, none is expected. So, the field "Should" be dry. I repeat, SHOULD be dry. LOL.

Go Snakes!

Yoe_09
11-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Ok Peeps, one more day till game time. It hasn't rained in almost a week. And, none is expected. So, the field "Should" be dry. I repeat, SHOULD be dry. LOL.

Go Snakes!

Should be is the key. I know that they might have a few water hoses or firetrucks that might find leeks...we will have to see how it goes.

trojandad
11-05-2009, 02:34 PM
i'm not the only one that thinks this will be one of the more interesting games of the night, for sure........

HEMOTOXIC
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
i'm not the only one that thinks this will be one of the more interesting games of the night, for sure........

NO you aren't. I will be listening from work.

trojandad
11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
from what i've seen, the rattler supporters sell them short with the wet field stuff....but, God forbid, they do lose, that might be the fastest fall from #4 in the state to out of the playoffs i've ever heard of, without an injury of a major player, that is......

navscanmaster
11-05-2009, 05:25 PM
from what i've seen, the rattler supporters sell them short with the wet field stuff....but, God forbid, they do lose, that might be the fastest fall from #4 in the state to out of the playoffs i've ever heard of, without an injury of a major player, that is......

A certain team dropped from 4A, came in ranked #3 last year, and went 3-7. Can you guess which team that would be???

I mean, if it happened, at least we would be 7-3, not 3-7.

navscanmaster
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Curious, trojandad, did Coldspring pass the ball much against Madisonville? I seem to think that if we lined up a few extra blockers and pounded the ball, our chances would be much better. I have heard that the Mustangs have the best pass defense in the district.

trojandad
11-05-2009, 05:37 PM
in number of plays we were like 60 - 40, run to pass......yardage wise was real close to 50 - 50, over 400 yds total....the pass might have loosened them up but we averaged 7 yds a run, they just couldn't stop the runs at the line, their backers and safeties were doing the bulk of the tackles on the run.....

the big difference i see between now and then is their defense, they were SO pourous against us, i saw them two weeks ago and they looked more like they were running a 5-2 than a 4-3...they stopped runs at the line.....

i know our line play is well improved this year but madisonville has always been a tough draw for us in years past, this year our line really took it to the mustangs (and diboll and cleveland, for that matter, their big DE didn't have a big effect against us)....was just unusual for us to beat them by such a margin....

our pass offense was short passes that broke for long runs.....i don't think we opened them up with the pass, just ponied up with good line play.....

maybe they are just running a different technique now knowing people were planning on running against them....should be a test of lines, and you guys have a good one......(wet or dry)....:clap: :clap: :clap:

ProudHornetMom
11-05-2009, 10:38 PM

I agree. Go Snakes!

HEMOTOXIC
11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
I agree. Go Snakes!

Thanks Mom!

navscanmaster
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Madisonville guys at work are all pumped up, we are getting our work done early so we can all go make it. They were kind of shut mouth about the subvarsity scores last night :D but they still think Madisonville is going to take it to the Rattlers tonight. We'll see! Go Rattlers!

Superbacker 00'
11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
How did the others teams match up with the mustangs yesterday?

Superbacker 00'
11-06-2009, 01:07 PM
nevermind i see we through up goose eggs to them mustangs

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Good Luck Rattlers!

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
http://www.brazossports.com/football/CAMPBELL--Must-win-games-dot-schedule

The television network TNT has popularized the phrase "win or go home" during its coverage of the NBA playoffs.

In three area high school football games Friday, it's basically the same concept, but this time it's "win and get in."

We're not talking about games where one team can advance with a victory, like Rockdale will try to do in Taylor. That's a different dynamic.

No, in these, the winner will play football next week. The loser will turn in the equipment Monday. That tests the ability to handle pressure just as much as the ability to execute the x's and o's.

In District 24-3A, Navasota plays at Madisonville. Navasota is perceived as the favorite, but some of that is based on the Rattlers' success over the last two seasons coupled with state rankings earlier this year.

Madisonville doesn't have those factors on its side, but the Mustangs have a three-game winning streak that has put them back in the race. Their win over Rudder last Thursday, coupled with Navasota's home loss to Cameron, made this week's encounter a true head-to-head showdown for a playoff spot.

The Mustangs have played in bad conditions at home. The field has been a quagmire for past games, but it has not rained this week. Those who think that the field alone is why Madisonville is winning are overlooking the exceptional play of the Mustangs' defense.

The unit has allowed just 183 yards per game. Those were winning totals even before the explosion of high-powered spread offenses. Opponents have rushed for just 94 yards per game and the Mustangs' defense has 24 takeaways -- 13 fumble recoveries and 11 interceptions. District champion Caldwell scored 21 points against the Mustangs in the 24-3A opener, which Madisonville lost by a touchdown.

On the offensive side, Brock Taylor is probably the fastest runner in a district of speedsters. He's up to 1,190 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground.

To counter it all, the Rattlers have a large and talented offensive line that has helped dual-threat quarterback Kye Hildreth thrive. Hildreth has rushed for 907 yards and 14 touchdowns. He has also hit 76 of 117 passes for 1,301 yards with 13 touchdowns and five interceptions.

A good defense may limit one player, but Hildreth has company. Junior back Antoin Burrell is up to 727 rushing yards with seven touchdowns, and he averages a district-best 8.9 yards per carry. Tevin Creeks forces a defense to spread out. He is a big-play receiver who has averaged 22.5 yards on his 27 receptions.

Navasota can play a little defense, too, forcing 17 turnovers while allowing 226 yards per contest.

That's looking like a tremendous game no matter what shape the field is in.