PDA

View Full Version : Region I Gotw: Snyder (5-4)(2-2) @ Brownood (7-2)(3-1)

Pages : 1 [2]

STANG RED
11-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Scholar
Got something against Underwoods?

It wasnt bad the first couple hundred times I had it. Since I discovered Humphrey Pete's several years ago, I havent stepped foot back inside Underwoods. I do miss their cobbler though.

Looking4number8
11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey Stang and Sweetwater Red, try the Jalapeno Pork Chops at Petes tomorrow... you wont regret it... One of the best things on the menu and makes the cold beer just a little bit better!

STANG RED
11-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Hey Stang and Sweetwater Red, try the Jalapeno Pork Chops at Petes tomorrow... you wont regret it... One of the best things on the menu and makes the cold beer just a little bit better!

MMmmmmmm, I love me some porkchops! I'll have to try that for sure.

Rustler
11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Me and Sweetwater Red will be at Humphrey Pete's somewhere between 5:30 and 6, if anybody wants to join us. Unless I missed it, it appears no M&G has been set up.

Oh, and by the way, we'll be the ones in RED :D :thinking: I thought the Mustangs were playing at Wylie:thinking: Is there a Humphrey Pete's in Abilene?:D

hollywood
11-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

The grilled salmon is good too.

TigerPride
11-06-2009, 09:37 AM
TIGERS 24

lions 21

GO TIGERS!!!(the best 5-4 team in the state)

ccmom
11-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Brownwood in ship shape with WR Jaxon
By Evan Ren
www.reporternews.com

BROWNWOOD — After a heartstopping 28-27 win over Graham in a district game two weeks ago, one may have expected Brownwood junior wide receiver Jaxon Shipley to spend the rest of his evening celebrating with family and teammates.

In actuality, he was nowhere to be found within the Brownwood city limits.

Instead, he was in perhaps the most unlikely place one could have expected to find him — in the home of Graham head football coach Brad McCoy.

The son of first-year Brownwood coach Bob Shipley and the brother of University of Texas wide receiver Jordan Shipley, Jaxon followed the Graham team bus in a pickup with Steers quarterback Case McCoy — the younger brother of UT quarterback Colt McCoy.

As it turned out, Jaxon elected to hang out with Case, a long-time friend, for the weekend while their parents flew to watch UT’s game at Missouri.

And while obvious Jaxon/Case, Colt/Jordan parallels are getting media attention, the comparisons between Jaxon and his older sibling are perhaps an even bigger distraction.

“He’s a great kid,” said coach McCoy, who roomed with Bob Shipley during his college days at ACU. “Our families are really close and those kids have grown up around us.

“They’re very humble, strong-character kids and Jaxon is just another one in that family who has been raised right by good parents.”

Catching footballs and scoring touchdowns are some other traits common to the Shipley gene pool.

While Jordan has hauled in 64 catches for 777 yards and five scores at the University of Texas this year, Jaxon is averaging 6.4 catches and 118 yards per game after missing four games with a broken clavicle.

Jaxon burned Graham with nine catches for 285 yards and two touchdowns, and last week, he caught five passes for 72 yards and one score in a 42-0 win over Sweetwater.

Already blessed with 4.5 speed, Jaxon is expected to follow in his brother’s footsteps and become a Longhorns player, joining Case McCoy on the roster in 2011.

Courtesy of the media, he’s been getting a taste of what life in UT goldfish bowl is like, but a knowledgeable set of Brownwood fans have made life easier.

“Brownwood is more my kind of town,” said Jaxon, who caught 63 passes for 919 yards and eight scores at 5A Coppell last season as a sophomore. “It’s a small town, the people are friendly, they’ve got a passion for the game of football and I think I fit in really well here.”

Fitting in was never a problem, though one may have expected it to be.

Playing in a football-obsessed town with his father as the head coach and his older brother already starring at UT, animosity could have easily developed. Coach Shipley, however, quickly took steps to eliminate that possibility by being tougher on his own son than any other player — so much so that some of Jaxon’s teammates have actually felt badly for him.

“There’s no doubt that Jaxon is held to a higher standard than anyone else on the team,” coach Shipley said. “One of my greatest fears is that someone might think that I’m treating him differently or requiring less of him than anyone else.

“How in the world can I expect any kid on the team to maintain a certain standard if I don’t hold my own son to the same standard? He doesn’t always like it but he understands it and accepts it.”

Accepting the injury was another issue.

Seemingly poised for a breakout season at the Class 3A level, Jaxon suffered the broken clavicle in a preseason scrimmage and didn’t return to the Lions until Oct. 2 at Manor. He returned as a full-time offensive weapon for a Week 6 date with Wylie, and has been a major weapon since.

“He’s just driven to be the best he can possibly be and he’s driven to play at another level,” coach Shipley said. “He works incredibly hard, and that’s what made it devastating when he got hurt.

“It was probably tougher on me, in fact, I thought he took it better than I did.”

In an odd way, Jaxon’s injury actually may have been beneficial. Forced to develop other weapons in his absence, the Lions had become a team with multiple options by the time he returned in Week 5.

They are 7-2 overall and 3-1 in District 2-3A, with a chance to clinch a playoff spot if they beat Snyder (5-4, 2-2) tonight.

“It was a bit of a relief to get him back,” offensive coordinator Jeff Merket said. “But his injury actually allowed us to develop three more really good receivers, so it helped us in the long run.”

He could potentially help UT in the long run as well.

Though he hasn’t officially signed yet, he is already on a first-name basis with several of the Longhorns players and worked out with some of them last summer.

“We’ve seen the type of friendship our brothers have and how it’s (helped) them,” said Case McCoy, a senior who will join the Longhorns roster next fall. “Jaxon and I want to work together in the same way.”

In the meantime, the spotlight can only be expected to grow more intense. But with a sibling who is already living it, Jaxon’s path is easier than one may expect.

“It’s actually pretty cool,” Jaxon said. “Jordan gives me a lot of advice when I need it and it’s neat to have him there for me. Anytime I need something I can call him.

“The fans here all know I don’t have to live up to what Jordan has done. I just have to give it everything I’ve got.”

STANG RED
11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Rustler
:thinking: I thought the Mustangs were playing at Wylie:thinking: Is there a Humphrey Pete's in Abilene?:D

I seriously wish my Mustangs all the best, but I'm a realist as to what will probably happen. But even if the Mustangs somehow pull off the upset, it isnt going to make a bit of difference in the district race. But this game gives me a chance to see a real playoff game. And it's a week before the playoffs even start. Cant pass up an opportunity like that. Come real playoff time, I may be half way across the country. So I better get while the gettens good.

hollywood
11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Inmateboss
11-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Brownwood in ship shape with WR Jaxon
By Evan Ren
www.reporternews.com

BROWNWOOD — After a heartstopping 28-27 win over Graham in a district game two weeks ago, one may have expected Brownwood junior wide receiver Jaxon Shipley to spend the rest of his evening celebrating with family and teammates.

In actuality, he was nowhere to be found within the Brownwood city limits.

Instead, he was in perhaps the most unlikely place one could have expected to find him — in the home of Graham head football coach Brad McCoy.

The son of first-year Brownwood coach Bob Shipley and the brother of University of Texas wide receiver Jordan Shipley, Jaxon followed the Graham team bus in a pickup with Steers quarterback Case McCoy — the younger brother of UT quarterback Colt McCoy.

As it turned out, Jaxon elected to hang out with Case, a long-time friend, for the weekend while their parents flew to watch UT’s game at Missouri.

And while obvious Jaxon/Case, Colt/Jordan parallels are getting media attention, the comparisons between Jaxon and his older sibling are perhaps an even bigger distraction.

“He’s a great kid,” said coach McCoy, who roomed with Bob Shipley during his college days at ACU. “Our families are really close and those kids have grown up around us.

“They’re very humble, strong-character kids and Jaxon is just another one in that family who has been raised right by good parents.”

Catching footballs and scoring touchdowns are some other traits common to the Shipley gene pool.

While Jordan has hauled in 64 catches for 777 yards and five scores at the University of Texas this year, Jaxon is averaging 6.4 catches and 118 yards per game after missing four games with a broken clavicle.

Jaxon burned Graham with nine catches for 285 yards and two touchdowns, and last week, he caught five passes for 72 yards and one score in a 42-0 win over Sweetwater.

Already blessed with 4.5 speed, Jaxon is expected to follow in his brother’s footsteps and become a Longhorns player, joining Case McCoy on the roster in 2011.

Courtesy of the media, he’s been getting a taste of what life in UT goldfish bowl is like, but a knowledgeable set of Brownwood fans have made life easier.

“Brownwood is more my kind of town,” said Jaxon, who caught 63 passes for 919 yards and eight scores at 5A Coppell last season as a sophomore. “It’s a small town, the people are friendly, they’ve got a passion for the game of football and I think I fit in really well here.”

Fitting in was never a problem, though one may have expected it to be.

Playing in a football-obsessed town with his father as the head coach and his older brother already starring at UT, animosity could have easily developed. Coach Shipley, however, quickly took steps to eliminate that possibility by being tougher on his own son than any other player — so much so that some of Jaxon’s teammates have actually felt badly for him.

“There’s no doubt that Jaxon is held to a higher standard than anyone else on the team,” coach Shipley said. “One of my greatest fears is that someone might think that I’m treating him differently or requiring less of him than anyone else.

“How in the world can I expect any kid on the team to maintain a certain standard if I don’t hold my own son to the same standard? He doesn’t always like it but he understands it and accepts it.”

Accepting the injury was another issue.

Seemingly poised for a breakout season at the Class 3A level, Jaxon suffered the broken clavicle in a preseason scrimmage and didn’t return to the Lions until Oct. 2 at Manor. He returned as a full-time offensive weapon for a Week 6 date with Wylie, and has been a major weapon since.

“He’s just driven to be the best he can possibly be and he’s driven to play at another level,” coach Shipley said. “He works incredibly hard, and that’s what made it devastating when he got hurt.

“It was probably tougher on me, in fact, I thought he took it better than I did.”

In an odd way, Jaxon’s injury actually may have been beneficial. Forced to develop other weapons in his absence, the Lions had become a team with multiple options by the time he returned in Week 5.

They are 7-2 overall and 3-1 in District 2-3A, with a chance to clinch a playoff spot if they beat Snyder (5-4, 2-2) tonight.

“It was a bit of a relief to get him back,” offensive coordinator Jeff Merket said. “But his injury actually allowed us to develop three more really good receivers, so it helped us in the long run.”

He could potentially help UT in the long run as well.

Though he hasn’t officially signed yet, he is already on a first-name basis with several of the Longhorns players and worked out with some of them last summer.

“We’ve seen the type of friendship our brothers have and how it’s (helped) them,” said Case McCoy, a senior who will join the Longhorns roster next fall. “Jaxon and I want to work together in the same way.”

In the meantime, the spotlight can only be expected to grow more intense. But with a sibling who is already living it, Jaxon’s path is easier than one may expect.

“It’s actually pretty cool,” Jaxon said. “Jordan gives me a lot of advice when I need it and it’s neat to have him there for me. Anytime I need something I can call him.

“The fans here all know I don’t have to live up to what Jordan has done. I just have to give it everything I’ve got.”

That is just too cool, a Young man with Jaxon's talent should feel at home in Brownwood, the passion says it all on both sides. He is such a class act, and to see Jaxon and Case sitting together watching their brothers at the UT game was awesome. We are very lucky to have Young men like this to cheer for and as role models for the rest of our teams!

bigwood33
11-06-2009, 05:27 PM
The Lions are better this year.
Lions- 35
Tigers- 21

garciap77
11-06-2009, 05:30 PM

hollywood
11-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

So what do you think Garcia?

What's your prediction score tonight at GW stadium?

Let's hear it...

Pendragon13
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by hollywood

Let's hear it... I'm not GP77 (he probably left for the M&G) but I'll answer for you. I still stand by Brownwood winning at home, but if Snyder has indeed found some offense like I've heard....then that combined with their aggressive defense could make a game of it.

Brownwood 23
Snyder 10

garciap77
11-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by hollywood

Let's hear it...

It's going to be close! Last score I heard was 6 t 0 Bronwood!

slingshot
11-06-2009, 11:11 PM
22-14 Brownwood, final.

Pendragon13
11-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
22-14 Brownwood, final. Dang...my prediction was close!:eek: Is there some sort of prize?:D

Snyder_TigerFan
11-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Dang...my prediction was close!:eek: Is there some sort of prize?:D

A kick to the groin.

Pendragon13
11-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
A kick to the groin. I'll pass..thanks.:) I know it won't make you feel better..but if the Tigers were in any other district but 2-3A they would be in the playoffs...and probably win district in most of them. I've always said that we have four teams that could do damage in the playoffs..

BEAST
11-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Kuddos to the Snyder kids. They played hard and fought to the end. Brownwoods defense was lights out tonight. I thought we played pretty bad after our first drive of the game until halftime. We turned it over 4 times in the half. After that, we settled down and played hard. District 2 is murders row, no doubt.

BEAST

Who-dun-it!!?
11-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Congrats Lions!
Good season for a young Tiger team. Watch out for them next year.

Wylie, Graham, and Brownwood are going kick some A$$ in the playoffs! We'll be cheering for you all and support you in a deep run. All three teams are capable of going all the way. If Graham and Brownwood get a rematch, expect to see lots of Black and Gold in the stands. Neutral of corse. Congrats to the District Co-Champion Bulldogs, Lions and Steers! Tiger fans are behind you the rest of the way!

Looking4number8
11-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Congrats Lions!
Good season for a young Tiger team. Watch out for them next year.

Wylie, Graham, and Brownwood are going kick some A$$ in the playoffs! We'll be cheering for you all and support you in a deep run. All three teams are capable of going all the way. If Graham and Brownwood get a rematch, expect to see lots of Black and Gold in the stands. Neutral of corse. Congrats to the District Co-Champion Bulldogs, Lions and Steers! Tiger fans are behind you the rest of the way!

Classy post, it makes me want to go out and get a speeding ticket..... well maybe it was not that classy, but still awesome post!