PDA

View Full Version : I guess the SEC is "tougher" than the Big12... Eye Gouging by Gator's Spikes

slpybear the bullfan
11-02-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/story/1311525.html

"At one point during the game, Spikes, a senior and team captain, appeared to let his emotions get the better of him when he reached into the facemask of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey, in an apparent attempt to gouge Ealey's eyes.

The incident occurred during a pile-up, and though Spikes was not flagged for the behavior, strong video evidence showed Spikes shoving his hand into Ealey's facemask."

And plenty of video out there on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOy-RMIpF0

You SEC guys win... you are the tougher conference!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

44INAROW
11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I didn't watch that game - was a penalty/foul called at the time are was it discovered afterwards?

I've seen that action before (mixed in with dirt) - not gonna mention any teams but it was post-season at Turkey time 2 years ago......... :D

slpybear the bullfan
11-02-2009, 10:45 AM
No penalty. The refs didn't have an angle to see it, (I think).

No word yet on what the SEC will do, (although one would hope that Meyer does something now).

The video clearly shows him going into the mask and jabbing fingers around.

gatordaze
11-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I didn't watch that game - was a penalty/foul called at the time are was it discovered afterwards?

I've seen that action before (mixed in with dirt) - not gonna mention any teams but it was post-season at Turkey time 2 years ago......... :D

Refs did not see it but it was blatant. I never understood the visor or sheilds purpose other than looking cool. Now I think that it should be standard equipment as I am sure that this was not an isolaed incident in a pile up. I was glad that he was not successful as his victim did not require any treatment.

I love my Gators and hate the Noles and Canes but you must recognize that with those three schools you really just love the colors as the players mostly come from the same pot.

It is unfortunate and I know that it was a heated game with actions by both sides that are not part of the game. Eye gouging should be restricted to wrestling and the league should address it.

FbCoachB40
11-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I wonder if he learned that technique by watching a D-lineman from Smithville.

SintonPirateFan
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
"coach" meyer said if he found out it was true, he would "have a serious talk" with spikes. what a joke. he should be suspended for at LEAST one game.

Daddy D 11
11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
This would never happen in the Big 12 because the rivalries aren't as intense:rolleyes: Wow the SEC is just so brutal:rolleyes:

NastySlot
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
This would never happen in the Big 12 because the rivalries aren't as intense:rolleyes: Wow the SEC is just so brutal:rolleyes:

you got that right.

bowleghorses
11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I can't believe that , ****** me off. I'm and SEC follower but they ought to suspend him for the rest of the year.:mad:

gatordaze
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
I can't believe that , ****** me off. I'm and SEC follower but they ought to suspend him for the rest of the year.:mad:

Or at least until your team is elimanted from the SECW? ;)

BreckTxLonghorn
11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4616581

Suspended for first half against Vanderbilt.

lostaussie
11-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
[url]
Suspended for first half against Vanderbilt. heard same thing.............way to go Urban.............thats putting your foot down:doh:

SintonPirateFan
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
oh but it was just retaliation cus somebody did the same thing to him....but magically there isn't video of that one.

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
I never understood the visor or sheilds purpose other than looking cool.

Well, for what it's worth, Barry Sanders wore a darkly tinted visor.
His reason was so that the defensive players couldn't see his
eyes. Like that really mattered. Lol

bowleghorses
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Or at least until your team is elimanted from the SECW? ;)

No, I follow several SEC teams, mostly LSU,and Arkansas . I also like Texas, Houston, and a few others. But what he did was uncalled for. If you can't knock his head off legally,get off the field. That kids eyes could have been damaged and he may not have that big NFL contract coming. If he really wanted to gouge someone's eyes he could have did that to a ref during the arkansas florida game.:D

TheDOCTORdre
11-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Well, for what it's worth, Barry Sanders wore a darkly tinted visor.
His reason was so that the defensive players couldn't see his
eyes. Like that really mattered. Lol

Barry could have had a mapped out route of where he was going to run, hand it to the defense and it still wouldnt have helped

STANG RED
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
LOL, some of you guys are acting like this is something new in football. This sort of things been going on since the leather helmet days. I'm not defending it, but in a way, it's just part of the game. I bet Butkus did it at least once a game.
I know I had it happen to me on a few occasions. I did manage to get a finger in my mouth one time though, and tried my damndest to bite it off. I didnt get the job done, but the guy never tried it again. One ref even told him he got what he deserved, when he went crying about it. :D

bowleghorses
11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
It's not that we think it is new and it's not because he is a florida gator, I don't care who he plays for, he lost my respect for him as a player. What a role model.:hand:

slpybear the bullfan
11-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
It's not that we think it is new and it's not because he is a florida gator, I don't care who he plays for, he lost my respect for him as a player. What a role model.:hand:

Bingo. I posted because I am tired of hearing about how the SEC is invincible... but the truth is that I don't care what player does it, what team he is on, or what provoked it.

It ain't right.

slpybear the bullfan
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
A Half Game suspension? Are you serious?

...and there goes some respect for Coach Meyer.

Sheesh.

TheDOCTORdre
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
half a game suspension is ridiculous...Mike Golic said it best, its like a kid gets in trouble with their parent and the parent tells them you cant go to the party on Saturday night at ten, but you can go at midnight

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
half a game suspension is ridiculous...Mike Golic said it best, its like a kid gets in trouble with their parent and the parent tells them you cant go to the party on Saturday night at ten, but you can go at midnight

i love mike and mike in the morning haha off topic but...