PDA

View Full Version : Is the Big XII even the 2nd-best Conference???

big daddy russ
11-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Discuss. Has the Big Ten, Pac-10, and/or ACC surpassed the Big XII in quality?

IHStangFan
11-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Nope...the Pac10 is over-rated and the Big10 is a joke. Hell...gimme the top of the WAC and the Mountain West and I'd put them up against any Pac10 or Big10 team and give them a good chance at coming away w/ a win. ;)

lostaussie
11-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Discuss. Has the Big Ten, Pac-10, and/or ACC surpassed the Big XII in quality? you have been watching too much ESPN. quit drinking the kool-aid. its still the big12 and the sec.

Mojado
11-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Nope...the Pac10 is over-rated and the Big10 is a joke.

Totally agree!!! I do think the ACC would make for some kinda exciting games...but they suck also!!!

It's still the SEC and big 12...

WylieBulldog92
11-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Pac-10

NastySlot
11-02-2009, 09:26 AM
jmo....but the acc and big xii are about even only difference is the big xii top two teams( texas and ou) are good period..

two teams don't make a conference the second best in the nation.

or i guess the mwc would be up there.

Third
11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Big XII and SEC. Texas, OU and OSU are the cream of the crop. Don't let the 41-14 fool you, OSU is still a heck of a lot better team than a lot of other schools.

Pac 10 is weak other than Oregon and USC. Oregon St. seems to want to make a run but just don't win consistently enough.

nationalpastime
11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
I say it goes SEC then Big 12. I don't think the ACC teams can win the ones that they need to, the PAC 10 only has a few "elite" teams and the big dog in the Big 10 is Ohio State, but they don't seem to know who they are offensively so I think that would hold them back against most SEC and the Big 12 elites.

Third
11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by nationalpastime
I say it goes SEC then Big 12. I don't think the ACC teams can win the ones that they need to, the PAC 10 only has a few "elite" teams and the big dog in the Big 10 is Ohio State, but they don't seem to know who they are offensively so I think that would hold them back against most SEC and the Big 12 elites.

I wouldn't be so quick to annoit them the best. Other than Florida you don't have a really complete team. Alabama and LSU are strong defensively but their offenses are liabilities. Bama by all accounts should have lost to Tennessee and LSU should have lost to Mississippi St. The top two, Bama and Florida have also gotten the benefit of some favorable officiating in close victories.

NastySlot
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Third
I wouldn't be so quick to annoit them the best. Other than Florida you don't have a really complete team. Alabama and LSU are strong defensively but their offenses are liabilities. Bama by all accounts should have lost to Tennessee and LSU should have lost to Mississippi St. The top two, Bama and Florida have also gotten the benefit of some favorable officiating in close victories.

and texas has gotten the benefit of being in a weak conference...each week texas takes the field and there is doubt they win.....even the ou game this year....that s why people were shocked at the close score.

LionKing
11-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
and texas has gotten the benefit of being in a weak conference...each week texas takes the field and there is doubt they win.....even the ou game this year....that s why people were shocked at the close score. Nastyslot, we know you don't like Texas, but you gotta like that Texas defense, it's pretty much a SEC defense, with a coach that came from the SEC, and you being a SEC homer/lover, you should really get in to that.

NastySlot
11-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by LionKing
Nastyslot, we know you don't like Texas, but you gotta like that Texas defense, it's pretty much a SEC defense, with a coach that came from the SEC, and you being a SEC homer/lover, you should really get in to that.

oh you're not right...i appreciate good football teams and coaching texas has both....i loved to jump on the big xii bandwagon...but i just feel the conference is over rated.........im not a texas fan..was when i was little had uncles and relatives that attended and graduated from there.....i chose A&M..........Texas is good very good and imo should win the national title....but im not going to boast on them too much because of the weak schedule they play....many posters on here like to give that sob story texas gets no respect and love...usc was loved by the media........i don't buy it.

i used the anology once with a friend........hey i love good baseball..good teams and fundys....l like to watch the Cuban national team play .......and think they're really good...but im not going to go out say communism is the greatest form of govt...just cause i like to watch a communist baseball team.\

Texas is a great team and program...but the conference is weak.

Pendragon13
11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
My feeling is that the "best conference" tends to change on a yearly basis. Last year it was clearly the Big12, but we sent the wrong team to the title game. If you think about it, most all conferences are top heavy with 2-3 really good teams and the rest being various levels of mediocre.

Third
11-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Doubt amongst who? I guarantee you Texas has been favored every game this year. OU is a rivalry and anything can happen there and its played on a neutral field.

LionFan72
11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
With all the Texas born and raised Quarterbacks starting around the nation and in the Big 12, how can you doubt the validity of the Big 12 as the Stongest in the Nation? Texas, TT, OU, OSU, A&M, Baylor, Mizz, Kansas, bring the best players in the nation together with the Best Coaches. I predict a Big 12 NC this year.

NastySlot
11-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by LionFan72
With all the Texas born and raised Quarterbacks starting around the nation and in the Big 12, how can you doubt the validity of the Big 12 as the Stongest in the Nation? Texas, TT, OU, OSU, A&M, Baylor, Mizz, Kansas, bring the best players in the nation together with the Best Coaches. I predict a Big 12 NC this year.

what?

Third
11-02-2009, 11:13 AM
oh you're not right...i appreciate good football teams and coaching texas has both....i loved to jump on the big xii bandwagon...but i just feel the conference is over rated......
but im not going to boast on them too much because of the weak schedule they play....many posters on here like to give that sob story texas gets no respect and love...

How can the conference be overrated when no one is claiming it to be the best? I think year in and year out, the SEC has the strongest conference because A&M, K-State and Nebraska have been very mediocre lately while Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn and even Arkansas are better.

Texas does have a weak schedule this year but is it any weaker than Florida's?
Charleston Southern 62-3
Troy 56-6 W
Tennessee 23-13
Kentucky 41-7
LSU 13-3
Arkansas 23-20
Mississippi State 29-19
Georgia 41-17

Voters knocked Texas but it's not like Florida has been dominant either. And they had trouble with Tennessee, Arkansas and Miss St. Hardly big rivals or top teams.

NastySlot
11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Third
How can the conference be overrated when no one is claiming it to be the best? I think year in and year out, the SEC has the strongest conference because A&M, K-State and Nebraska have been very mediocre lately while Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn and even Arkansas are better.

Texas does have a weak schedule this year but is it any weaker than Florida's?
Charleston Southern 62-3
Troy 56-6 W
Tennessee 23-13
Kentucky 41-7
LSU 13-3
Arkansas 23-20
Mississippi State 29-19
Georgia 41-17

Voters knocked Texas but it's not like Florida has been dominant either. And they had trouble with Tennessee, Arkansas and Miss St. Hardly big rivals or top teams.

ok both florida and texas have weak non-conference schedules.....but i not even going to get into sec v. big xii........cause i won't convince you or other homers that week in week out every game is the sec could go to the so called weaker of the two teams.

Mojado
11-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Nasty ws talking about your post before that...something about QB's around the nation....IDK, I didn't get what you meant either...

As for your last post??? I don't get it that one either...

I do agree with the SEC style of D that Muschamp is trying too get at Texas...he just needs to get rid of D.A. and get a real secondary coach...

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Mojado
...he just needs to get rid of D.A. and get a real secondary coach...

really? 2 of the last 3 thorpe winners have come from Texas..The Texas secondary this year has been DOMINANT, just look at the ints this past week. Seems to me the secondary coach is doing something right

NastySlot
11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
really? 2 of the last 3 thorpe winners have come from Texas..The Texas secondary this year has been DOMINANT, just look at the ints this past week. Seems to me the secondary coach is doing something right

yeah recruiting....they got that right.

Mojado
11-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Ditto!!!

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2009, 12:18 PM

and why is florida great..alabama? I guess they have all coaching no talent?

NastySlot
11-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
and why is florida great..alabama? I guess they have all coaching no talent?

idk...but that's the reason....texas, ou, usc ohio state, alabama florida and norte dame get all the love from the press and polls...talent.....and recruiting.

never said florida and alabama were great... just that they play in a tougher conference...than texas and ou.....cause i think texas is damn good.

big daddy russ
11-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by LionFan72
This argument makes no sense. You fail.

And we're not arguing SEC vs. Big XII. That boat sailed a few weeks back when Iowa State and K-State took control of the North and teams like Tech were beaten by teams like A&M. Sorry, no Big XII argument holds water until a team outside the big three emerges as a decent team.

Let's go back to the original argument.

bevo
11-02-2009, 02:02 PM
A view of why BIG XII is viewed as secondary to SEC…

The SEC has been the dominate conf for several years now...PAC 10 was for almost 3 years before that. The problem is, is that Stoops (rep Big XII) hasn't represented the Big XII too well in the past National Title games with the exception of 2000, almost 10 years ago.

It really doesn't make any difference who plays UT...Conf or Non Conf...Everyone measures the success of their program by beating Texas or playing them close! That's including PAC-10, Big 10, SEC, etc...
A&M can struggle and play a mediocre Non Conf schedule too...but it's what they do when they get into the conf play that precedes them. Basically choking...but when it comes time for the rivalry week...ask the A&M and UT coaches in the past…if they were fortunate to win, they were extended some decree of a reprieve depending on their mediocrity play up to rivalry week.

But pertaining to the topic, as a team…UT doesn’t play second fiddle to any other conference. They have represented the BIG XII well on their part during the Mack Brown era against the PAC-10, Big 10, SEC, etc… (16-7)
But since 2001 with three years with his recruiting class’s…he’s (13-3) against those BCS Power Conf’s. Listed below:

OU since the Stoops era…well, he’s something like (12-10) against those power conf’s…

’98 Season
W 01-01-1999 38 Mississippi St. 11 Dallas, TX Cotton Bowl
‘99
L 08-28-1999 20 North Carolina St. 23 Austin, TX
W 09-04-1999 69 Stanford (CA) 17 Austin, TX
W 09-11-1999 38 Rutgers (NJ) 21 New Brunswick, NJ
L 01-01-2000 6 Arkansas 27 Dallas, TX Cotton Bowl
‘00
L 09-16-2000 24 Stanford (CA) 27 Stanford, CA
L 12-29-2000 30 Oregon 35 San Diego, CA Holiday Bowl
‘01
W 09-08-2001 44 North Carolina 14 Austin, TX
W 12-28-2001 47 Washington 43 San Diego, CA Holiday Bowl
‘02
W 09-14-2002 52 North Carolina 21 Chapel Hill, NC
W 01-01-2003 35 Louisiana St. 20 Dallas, TX Cotton Bowl
‘03
L 09-13-2003 28 Arkansas 38 Austin, TX
L 12-30-2003 20 Washington St. 28 San Diego, CA Holiday Bowl
‘04
W 09-11-2004 22 Arkansas 20 Fayetteville, AR
W 01-01-2005 38 Michigan 37 Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl
05’
W 09-10-2005 25 Ohio St. 22 Columbus, OH
W 01-04-2006 41 Southern California 38 Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl
06’
L 09-09-2006 7 Ohio St. 24 Austin, TX
W 12-30-2006 26 Iowa 24 San Antonio, TX Alamo Bowl
07’
W 09-08-2007 34 Texas Christian 13 Austin, TX
W 12-27-2007 52 Arizona St. 34 San Diego, CA Holiday Bowl
W 09-15-2007 35 Central Florida 32 Orlando, FL

‘08
W 01-05-2009 24 Ohio St. 21 Glendale, AZ Fiesta Bowl

But as for as the SEC Conf foe...who's to say they could compete with the BIG XII conf if they were in it right now. I can tell you one thing...they definitely wouldn't be a run oriented offense these days. Look at Texas...I can remember when them and OU were primarily run first offenses. But they had to open it up when Tech generated their high octane offenses. So week in and week out...it's hard for even Florida, Alabama and who ever comes out of that conf to hold these offenses in check on a weekly basis.