PDA

View Full Version : 3ADL Week 10 Top 25

big daddy russ
11-02-2009, 03:38 AM
RANK (PVS) TEAM/RECORD—PTS (First-place votes)

1. (1) Gilmer (9-0)—300 (12)
2. (3) Carthage (9-0)—284
3. (4) Sealy (9-0)—268
4. (5) Cuero (9-0)—261
5. (6) Argyle (9-0)—247
6. (2) Abilene Wylie (7-1)—244
7. (7) Monahans (9-0)—215
8. (10) Prosper (8-1)—210
9. (8)Giddings (8-1)—209
10. (12) Caldwell (7-1)—177
11. (11) La Grange (8-1)—172
12. (17) Graham (8-1)—166
13. (14) Brownwood (7-2)—136
14. (13) Kennedale (8-1)—119
15. (9) Navasota (7-2)—118
16. (16) West Orange-Stark (7-2)—118
17. (18) Jasper (7-2)—111
18. (19) Celina (6-3)—103
19. (20) Sweeny (7-2)—101
20. (21) Ingleside (8-1)—86
21. (22) Pittsburg (8-1)—74
22. (15) Sinton (8-1)—62
23. (23) Lyford (9-0)—41
24. (24) Silsbee (5-4)—24
25t. (NR) Cleveland—12
25t. (25) Glen Rose (6-3)—12

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 7; China Spring 6; Cameron Yoe 4; Wimberley 4; Center 3; La Vernia 3; Lucas Lovejoy 1

FELL OUT: None

big daddy russ
11-02-2009, 03:38 AM
1. GILMER (9-0)
LAST WEEK: Beat Gladewater 67-12
UP NEXT: Tatum
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: As impressive as they’ve been, they’re still ranked ahead of the impressive, undefeated, reigning state champs…

2. CARTHAGE (9-0)
LAST WEEK: beat Diboll 54-25
UP NEXT: Huntington
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: They’re the reigning champs. They’re undefeated. They have wins over three possible playoff-bound 4A’s along with the 17th-ranked 3A.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: Sure, they’ve beat a few quality teams. But that doesn’t mean they’ve looked unbeatable doing it. They were pushed by 4-5 district rival Rusk and barely eeked it out against Henderson and Jacksonville.

3. SEALY (9-0)
LAST WEEK: beat Bellville 45-34
UP NEXT: #11 La Grange
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: Another week, another power program down. Bellville makes three teams who've been ranked in the top ten at some point this season to fall to the Tigers. Sealy's undefeated playing in the toughest district in the state. In addition to district rivals Bellville, Giddings, Columbus, and Smithville (all of whom could make the playoffs in most districts), they own wins over 2A #4 Rice Consolidated, TAPPS Large School #5 St. Pius, second-place 26-3A Brookshire-Royal, and the most heavily-recruited QB in Texas.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: As impressive as all those wins were, the Tigers were lucky to get out of a few. They were outgained by Rice Consolidated and Giddings. Are they really that much better than Cuero, Monahans, or for that matter a one-loss Abilene Wylie squad?

4. CUERO (9-0)
LAST WEEK: beat Gonzales
UP NEXT: Edna
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: Except for a small hiccup against Yoakum, the Gobblers have been nothing but impressive. They blew out then-19th-ranked La Vernia and 4A Bay City, have a QB who’ll be playing for a top-25 college a year from now, and the offense leans on a young, stud RB who may be just as much of a player.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: That win at Yoakum was ugly with a capital “U.” The Gobblers were behind 23-13 halfway through the fourth and would’ve lost if not for a furious late rally spurred on by Tyler Arndt and Ryan Barrientez. Sure, Yoakum’s a rivalry. And yeah, you can throw all the records out the window. But still, isn’t the fourth-best team in the state supposed to be able to blow out a 4-5 team?

5. ARGYLE (9-0)
LAST WEEK: beat Gainesville 38-0
UP NEXT: #18 Celina
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: They just keep rolling, with an offense that averages roughly 400 yards per game and a defense that holds opponents to around 200 yards per game. They destroyed #8 Prosper...
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: ...except on the scoreboard. As much as the boxscore says the Eagles dominated that game against Prosper, the scoreboard says otherwise. Which brings up several interesting questions about Argyle. They outgained Prosper 2-to-1, won the turnover battle, and still only won by a field goal. Do they get most of their yards between the 20’s? Do they struggle in the red zone? Does their offense stall in the moments that matter? Are the special teams the weak link? Most importantly, why did they struggle putting up points when the yards were so easy to come by? Iowa Park doesn’t look as good as they did to start the season and Argyle won that game by the skin of their teeth.

6. ABILENE WYLIE (7-1)
LAST WEEK: lost to #17 Graham 10-13
UP NEXT: Sweetwater
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: The ability’s there. The Bulldogs are easily one of the five most talented teams in the state and have taken out six powerhouse schools to date. Even with the loss, they’re still one of the odds-on favorites to make it to the title game…
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: They just got beat by a Graham team that was blown out by Brownwood and only dropped four spots. Prosper’s loss (by three to #5 Argyle) was far more impressive and there’s a whale of an undefeated that’s ranked a spot below Wylie.

7. MONAHANS (9-0)
LAST WEEK: beat Brownfield 47-0
UP NEXT: Midland Greenwood
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: No competition to date. Not even a little. They’re beating people by 37 points and look as good as anyone in Region I, maybe even the state.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: No competition to date. The toughest team the Loboes have played is 6-3 Fort Stockton, a playoff team but hardly a state power. They also lost their starting QB for the season and get another marginal test this week against Midland Greenwood. But the question isn’t whether or not they stack up against Greenwood, it’s whether or not they stack up against Prosper or Giddings or Caldwell or La Grange or Graham or Brownwood…………

8. PROSPER (8-1)
LAST WEEK: beat Sanger 41-21
UP NEXT: Gainesville
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: The defending champs’ lone loss was by three points to fifth-ranked Argyle. No shame in that. Meanwhile, they handled #18 Celina and 13-3A champs Farmersville.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: Sure, they only lost by three to Argyle, but Argyle moved the ball how they wanted when they wanted without impunity. The Prosper offense couldn’t get anything going, either, managing a mere 158 yards while the defense gave up 361. Giddings somehow fell below Prosper even though they’ve proven that they can beat top ten teams.

9. GIDDINGS (8-1)
LAST WEEK: beat Smithville 55-14
UP NEXT: Columbus
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: They beat Smithville (who’s just as good or better than most of the teams on this list) by 41 and still drop below Prosper. I just don’t get it. The Buffs now have wins over four top-25 teams, one top ten, and outgained #3 Sealy even though they lost the game.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: The heart attack kids keep scraping together wins against “great” teams, but they don’t pull away from some of the “good” teams like you’d expect them. They clawed and scratched their way to an impressive win over seventh-ranked La Grange two weeks ago. Meanwhile, they allowed 5-4 Bellville stay in the game despite the fact that Giddings outgained them 311-188. Sealy beat Giddings even though the Buffs also won that yardage battle, 311-248. Same story with La Vernia... 344-273 edge in yards, only a seven-point win. Giddings finds a way to turn dominant performances into close games. They won the turnover battle against Sealy, but committed eight penalties for 60 yards. They only had two penalties to Bellville’s five, had a 4-2 edge in turnovers, and dominated the yardage battle, but was still only up by six with three minutes to play. The final thing about Giddings’ top ten ranking that I have is something that I rarely use, comparative scores. They snuck out of the La Vernia game (a home game for the Buffs) by seven. Meanwhile, Cuero took La Vernia behind the woodshed in a 41-16 romp. Isn’t that supposed to be what a top-ten team does?

10. CALDWELL (7-1)
LAST WEEK: beat Taylor 47-0
UP NEXT: Cameron Yoe
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: One two-point loss against then-tenth-ranked Bellville in the season opener and nothing but a cloud of dust ever since. Huge wins over then-fifth-ranked Navasota, then-17th Rockdale, and underrated Madisonville.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: Bellville may have been ranked tenth to start the season, but they’re now a 5-4 team that won’t make the playoffs. Haven’t seen much evidence that their offense can pass the ball when necessary or that anyone other than RB Kysan Woolverton can carry the offense.

11. LA GRANGE (8-1)
LAST WEEK: beat Columbus 28-7
UP NEXT: #3 Sealy
LOSSES: #9 Giddings
KEY WINS: Bellville, Needville, Smithville

12. GRAHAM (8-1)
LAST WEEK: beat #2 Abilene Wylie 13-10
UP NEXT: Breckenridge
LOSSES: #13 Brownwood
KEY WINS: #25 Glen Rose, #6 Abilene Wylie

13. BROWNWOOD (7-2)
LAST WEEK: beat Sweetwater 42-0
UP NEXT: Snyder
LOSSES: 4A Stephenville, #6 Abilene Wylie
KEY WINS: Burnet, Waco LaVega, Liberty Hill, #12 Graham

14. KENNEDALE (8-1)
LAST WEEK: lost to Ferris 12-13
UP NEXT: Crandall
LOSSES: Ferris
KEY WINS: Dallas Madison, Alvarado

15. NAVASOTA (7-2)
LAST WEEK: lost to Cameron Yoe 22-24
UP NEXT: Madisonville
LOSSES: #10 Caldwell, Cameron Yoe
KEY WINS: then-#8 Bellville, 4A Henderson, Palestine, then-#9 Rockdale

16. WEST ORANGE-STARK (7-2)
LAST WEEK: beat Hardin-Jefferson 29-10
UP NEXT: Orangefield
LOSSES: #24 Silsbee, #17 Jasper
KEY WINS: 2A #4 Kirbyville, 4A Little Cypress-Mauriceville, Brookshire-Royal, Bridge City

17. JASPER (7-2)
LAST WEEK: beat Rusk 45-21
UP NEXT: Center
LOSSES: #1 Gilmer, #2 Carthage
KEY WINS: 2A #4 Kirbyville, #16 West Orange-Stark, #24 Silsbee

18. CELINA (6-3)
LAST WEEK: beat Whitesboro 38-10
UP NEXT: #5 Argyle
LOSSES: TAPPS Trinity Christian, 2A #1 Daingerfield, #8 Prosper
KEY WINS: Ferris, Sanger

19. SWEENY (7-2)
LAST WEEK: beat Brookshire-Royal 21-16
UP NEXT: Wharton
LOSSES: 4A Brazosport, 4A Bay City
KEY WINS: 4A Houston Sterling, Needville, Brookshire-Royal

20. INGLESIDE (8-1)
LAST WEEK: beat #15 Sinton 35-28
UP NEXT: Robstown
LOSSES: Mathis
KEY WINS: #22 Sinton, 4A Rockport-Fulton, Rio Hondo

21. PITTSBURG (8-1)
LAST WEEK: beat Mount Vernon 45-17
UP NEXT: Texarkana Pleasant Grove
LOSSES: 4A Lindale
KEY WINS: 2A Jefferson, Texarkana Liberty-Eylau, New Boston

22. SINTON (8-1)
LAST WEEK: lost to #21 Ingleside
UP NEXT: CC West Oso
LOSSES: #20 Ingleside
KEY WINS: Mathis, Robstown

23. LYFORD (9-0)
LAST WEEK: beat Rio Hondo 21-14
UP NEXT: Raymondville
LOSSES: None
KEY WINS: Zapata, Rio Hondo, La Feria

24. SILSBEE (5-4)
LAST WEEK: beat Hamshire-Fannett
UP NEXT: Sour Lake Hardin-Jefferson
LOSSES: Diboll, 4A Lumberton, 3A #6 newton, #17 Jasper
KEY WINS: #16 West Orange-Stark, Bridge City, Orangefield

25t. CLEVELAND (8-1)
LAST WEEK: beat Coldspring-Oakhurst 14-12
UP NEXT: Splendora
LOSSES: 4A Little Cypress-Mauriceville
KEY WINS: Coldspring-Oakhurst

25t. GLEN ROSE (6-3)
LAST WEEK: lost to China Spring 44-47
UP NEXT: Hillsboro
LOSSES: China Spring, #12 Graham, 4A Mineral Wells
KEY WINS: then-#20 West, Gatesville

DaHop72
11-02-2009, 11:51 AM
[i]

6. ABILENE WYLIE (7-1)
LAST WEEK: lost to #17 Graham 10-13
UP NEXT: Sweetwater
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: The ability’s there. The Bulldogs are easily one of the five most talented teams in the state and have taken out six powerhouse schools to date. Even with the loss, they’re still one of the odds-on favorites to make it to the title game…
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: They just got beat by a Graham team that was blown out by Brownwood and only dropped four spots. Prosper’s loss (by three to #5 Argyle) was far more impressive and there’s a whale of an undefeated that’s ranked a spot below Wylie.

[/B] "They just got beat by a Graham team that was blown out by Brownwood"

Might want to fix this bdr, Brownwood won 28-27 over Graham.

big daddy russ
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
"They just got beat by a Graham team that was blown out by Brownwood"

Might want to fix this bdr, Brownwood won 28-27 over Graham.
My bad. I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't check it... thought the final in that one was 41-21. Thanks for the heads up.

oldtownag
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
2. CARTHAGE (9-0)
LAST WEEK: beat Diboll 54-25
UP NEXT: Huntington
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: They’re the reigning champs. They’re undefeated. They have wins over three possible playoff-bound 4A’s along with the 17th-ranked 3A.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: Sure, they’ve beat a few quality teams. But that doesn’t mean they’ve looked unbeatable doing it. They were pushed by 4-5 district rival Rusk and barely eeked it out against Henderson and Jacksonville.

Carthage was not pushed by Rusk! However, #2 is ok if Gilmer goes DII. Otherwise we are #1 until beaten.

gtownfan
11-02-2009, 05:09 PM
9. GIDDINGS (8-1)
LAST WEEK: beat Smithville 55-14
UP NEXT: Columbus
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER: They beat Smithville (who’s just as good or better than most of the teams on this list) by 41 and still drop below Prosper. I just don’t get it. The Buffs now have wins over four top-25 teams, one top ten, and outgained #3 Sealy even though they lost the game.
WHY THEY SHOULD BE RANKED LOWER: The heart attack kids keep scraping together wins against “great” teams, but they don’t pull away from some of the “good” teams like you’d expect them. They clawed and scratched their way to an impressive win over seventh-ranked La Grange two weeks ago. Meanwhile, they allowed 5-4 Bellville stay in the game despite the fact that Giddings outgained them 311-188. Sealy beat Giddings even though the Buffs also won that yardage battle, 311-248. Same story with La Vernia... 344-273 edge in yards, only a seven-point win. Giddings finds a way to turn dominant performances into close games. They won the turnover battle against Sealy, but committed eight penalties for 60 yards. They only had two penalties to Bellville’s five, had a 4-2 edge in turnovers, and dominated the yardage battle, but was still only up by six with three minutes to play. The final thing about Giddings’ top ten ranking that I have is something that I rarely use, comparative scores. They snuck out of the La Vernia game (a home game for the Buffs) by seven. Meanwhile, Cuero took La Vernia behind the woodshed in a 41-16 romp. Isn’t that supposed to be what a top-ten team does?

Not sure the La Vernia game is a true indication. The game was tied at half and then Giddings came out in the 3rd and scored 2 TD's, starting to dominate the game. Then a 45 minutes lightning delay gave La Vernia a break and they came out refreshed.

Granted, we have no way of knowing how this would have turned out without Mother Nature steppiing in, but things were starting to roll the Buff's way.

Also keep in mind, Giddings is still going through growing pains with their passing game. A passing game is not something that Giddings has had since Coach Fitz was around. So everyone is adapting, coaches and players, as to how to deal with it. Based on last weeks, 8 for 8 270 yards and 4 touchdowns, things are starting to come around.

9 is about right!

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
nice work russ..:clap:

Gobbla2001
11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by gtownfan
Then a 45 minutes lightning delay gave La Vernia a break and they came out refreshed.

guess the refs made Giddings run wind-sprints during the delay...

Gobbla2001
11-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
these guys complained about the wheather when they played us.... they are a run option team.... we run the spread...:rolleyes:

I can see where it'd screw up a run option to the outside, lotta slippin' trying to make that cut, and that cut's around/behind the LOS...

Old Tiger
11-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Interesting that Rockdale's only two losses of the season have come to the hands of Navasota/Caldwell and we aren't ranked.

Pendragon13
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
My bad. I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't check it... thought the final in that one was 41-21. Thanks for the heads up. 41-21 was the score when Wylie beat Brownwood...a blocked field goal was the difference in the Brownwwod win over Graham.

SintonFan
11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the work bdr!http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6387/dancingfo.gif (http://img44.imageshack.us/i/dancingfo.gif/)

easttexas3a
11-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Would liek to get others thoughts......

So Gilmer has beat a top power 2a in Daingerfield

A very good Jasper team.

A playoff bound 4a in Kilgore

And a road win vs. LE who the last few years just tends to give them fits.

But ever since the daingerfield win, Gilmer has played a very weak district which has offered no one to make it a game. Chapel Hill being the closest game so far, and that was 35-0 at halftime. Now of course Tatum is a lil bit better then the rest, and will prolly make it to the second round of the playoffs, but I expect gilmer to win that game big as well at home.

So the question is the early success enough to justify Gilmer being number one? I know I believe we are very good, and improved from last year, but I just hate that our district hasn't allowed us to really show what we can do.

Pendragon13
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by easttexas3a

A very good Jasper team.

But ever since the daingerfield win, Gilmer has played a very weak district which has offered no one to make it a game. Chapel Hill being the closest game so far, and that was 35-0 at halftime. Now of course Tatum is a lil bit better then the rest, and will prolly make it to the second round of the playoffs, but I expect gilmer to win that game big as well at home.

So the question is the early success enough to justify Gilmer being number one? I know I believe we are very good, and improved from last year, but I just hate that our district hasn't allowed us to really show what we can do. The only ranking that really matters is the one in December....after all the trophies have been handed out.;)

waterboy
11-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by easttexas3a

A very good Jasper team.

So the question is the early success enough to justify Gilmer being number one? I know I believe we are very good, and improved from last year, but I just hate that our district hasn't allowed us to really show what we can do.
I can see the justification for your concerns based on years past, but Gilmer has dominated every opponent they've played this year, if you call 18 or more point wins dominating. The Buckeyes have averaged outscoring opponents by a score of about 57-13 all season long. In years past a weak district would've been more of a cause for concern, but there's one HUGE difference this year with the Buckeyes...........a thing call DEFENSE! The Buckeyes have been an offensive machine for years, but the defense wasn't a strong point for most of those years. The defense started playing better last year, and have improved this year enough to be dominating. If you look at the scores (and yardage) against this year's team you will see that most of the points given up were scored on the second and third string players late in blowouts. I've always said that if the defense ever plays as well as the offense on a consistent basis, the Buckeyes will be a VERY hard team to beat. Anything can happen on any given Friday night, or Saturday in high school football, but the chances of an upset are greatly diminished if the offense executes, doesn't turn the ball over, and the DEFENSE is consistently dominating. Can Gilmer lose? Absolutely! But I feel MUCH better about this Buckeye team's chances at a title than in any year in the past because the pride is back in the "black flag" defense. Will they get it done? Who knows......that's why they play the game.....;) All I know is I will be there, along with the rest of the "Army of Buckeyes", for the ride!:clap:

GO BUCKEYES!

easttexas3a
11-04-2009, 10:11 PM
No doubt the defense has played just about as well as I have ever seen Gilmer play D. I think my concernes are ebcause I have sat through a lot of these games and it just kind of lulls you to sleep. Can't wait for the playoffs to get here.

waterboy
11-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Yep, winning big does kinda lull a person to sleep......:sleeping:

Do like I do and take a "5-hour Energy" drink before the game!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked032.gif

:D

pirate4state
11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
guess the refs made Giddings run wind-sprints during the delay... :spitlol:

FrmSTx
11-07-2009, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Interesting that Rockdale's only two losses of the season have come to the hands of Navasota/Caldwell and we aren't ranked.

What's crazy is that Bellville lost to #'s 3, 9, 11, and 15, while beating #10. Not only are they not on this list, they arent making the playoffs! The UIL needs to break-up this district 25! Its brutal when a team of bellville's caliber doesnt make the playoffs

Pudlugger
11-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by FrmSTx
What's crazy is that Bellville lost to #'s 3, 9, 11, and 15, while beating #10. Not only are they not on this list, they arent making the playoffs! The UIL needs to break-up this district 25! Its brutal when a team of bellville's caliber doesnt make the playoffs

I agree. Bellville, Sealy, La Grange and Giddings all in the same district is nuts. Put Sealy in D26 and Giddings in D24. Put Gonzales and Wharton in D25 along with Bellville, La Grange, Columbus and Smithville.

WOS87
11-07-2009, 06:36 PM
The UIL has already adjusted to allow close to 50% of all 3A teams to qualify for the playoffs (84 out of 177). Just be happy you aren't playing in HISD in 1967 at which time there were TWENTY teams in one district and only ONE team qualified for the playoffs!

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/district/1967/19674a09.gif

SHSBulldog00
11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
I agree. Bellville, Sealy, La Grange and Giddings all in the same district is nuts. Put Sealy in D26 and Giddings in D24. Put Gonzales and Wharton in D25 along with Bellville, La Grange, Columbus and Smithville.

That will make it easy to get 3 wins in D25. But why not add El Campo instead of Gonzales:D

JasperDog94
11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm still confused that every week it seems someone puts WOS 1 spot ahead of Jasper. Jasper beat WOS head to head and beat the other team that beat WOS.:confused: