PDA

View Full Version : What I learned this weekend

crabman
11-01-2009, 11:52 PM
I went to the Cedar Hill (#1 in 5A) vs. Grand Prairie football game at the Grand Prairie Gopher/Warrior Bowl. I learned a few things.

1. In 5A games in Dallas the teams do not enter the field or leave the field at the same time. There are referees and police there to make sure this happens.
2. Cuero has more people travel three hours to a football game than Cedar Hill has travel 20 minutes to an away game.
3. The reserved seating for Grand Prairie has 1,180 seats. (I counted them) There were exactly 88 people sitting in those 1,180 seats. (I counted them). There were fewer than 400 total people sitting on the home side in a stadium that holds 4,000 on the home side. What the heck?
4. The referees in 5A are much better than they are in 3A.
5. The sidelines at the Gopher/Warrior Bowl are 12-14 feet from the wall surrounding the field. There is almost nowhere to stand. People get run into the wall with great frequency. It feels like Arena Football.
6. 5A bands are superior to 3A bands.
7. On a band note, the band from Allen High School has more members than we have students in our high school. 630 in the band and flag corps versus 592 in our entire school. Allen, supposedly, has the largest band in the state.
8. Cedar Hill is good.
9. Cedar Hill has five D1 commits already with more to come.
10. Tyler Arndt is better than either the Cedar Hill quarterback or the Grand Prairie quarterback. Neither one was impressive.
11. A really good 5A team has five outstanding offensive linemen and five outstanding defensive linemen. All huge. All fast. Backs and receivers are not that much different than what you can see in 3A.
12. Cedar Hill is good.
13. The cheerleaders at a 97% black school are very good and very entertaining.
14. Athletes are allowed to wear whatever they want on their lettermens jacket. I was sitting behind MR. CAN"T BE TOUCHED. Very funny.
15. 5A schools have very lax dress codes as far as hair and facial hair.
16. Their fans did not walk through the gate until exactly 7:30.
17. There was not the least little bit of electricity in the air on either side of the stadium. Quite boring.
18. Neither side had a Herb Spencer (Go Mean Green Guy)
19. Cedar Hill is good.

DDBooger
11-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by crabman

14. Athletes are allowed to wear whatever they want on their lettermens jacket. I was sitting behind MR. CAN"T BE TOUCHED. Very funny.
:clap: awesome :D

Pendragon13
11-02-2009, 12:22 AM
So..is Cedar Hill any good? You forgot to tell us that part.:D

But yeah, I grew up in the Metroplex area and the 5A schools don't get the kind of fan support some smaller schools do...until the playoffs that is.

Trashman
11-02-2009, 07:13 AM
The metro-plex schools don't get much following in the playoffs either. lol

Looking4number8
11-02-2009, 08:07 AM

4. The referees in 5A are much better than they are in 3A.

This is the one thing I have noticed in the two years we have been in 3A, Even in 4A the refs seem to bee much better than the guys that are allowed to ref 3A games. There are always gonna be some bad calls but sometimes it seems they pick this guys up at a 'day labor' house on the way to a game. Sometimes our refs now seem to be very one-sidded also, sometimes for us, sometimes against us

LH_Tuff
11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Sometimes our refs now seem to be very one-sidded also, sometimes for us, sometimes against us

Depending on the score? :devil: ;)

AAA87
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I coached in the metroplex, at a 5A school for 2 seasons...hated it....too much going on, on friday nights to go to a hs football game....not much fan support at all at the games we played.....in small schools...3A and under, if you are in athletics you usually are in the cool crowd....not 5A...too many kids....your cool if you are in ROTC....it was ok if you were not in athletics.....the district i was in,,,kids drove nicer cars than coaches....and the principal and associate principal and asst. principal for each grade level....way too many chiefs!!!! we had our own office for our campus police....two story school with elevators....i didnt know many teachers, only the ones in the history wing, we ate at the history wing lounge....way too big....cameras everywhere except the stair wells....so guess where fights took place????? It was nice having a turf field and a turf indoor practice field and being able to eat or do anything within five miles of your house...the only problem is it took 25 minutes to go those 5 miles!!

Pendragon13
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
The metro-plex schools don't get much following in the playoffs either. lol Depends on how far they go and how far away the games are. if a 5A school gets to the semi's then you have alumni and supporters appearing out of thin air. It also depends on the school...some of the burb schools like Southlake Carroll get more support than most of the interior schools. Even Cedar Hill used to be much different when they were simply a small town playing 3A/4A back in the day...now they are simply "far south Dallas";)

StangEm
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
You should go to a Cedar Hill basketball game. It gets muy muy packed in that gym. Especially when they are playing DeSoto. Football isn't really the "big thing" at CHHS (even thought they recently won it all) but I agree, they are good.

CHS_Grad '85
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
16. Their fans did not walk through the gate until exactly 7:30.
17. There was not the least little bit of electricity in the air on either side of the stadium. Quite boring.
As a new comer to 5A, I have seen the same thing...

gordo
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
This is the one thing I have noticed in the two years we have been in 3A, Even in 4A the refs seem to bee much better than the guys that are allowed to ref 3A games. There are always gonna be some bad calls but sometimes it seems they pick this guys up at a 'day labor' house on the way to a game. Sometimes our refs now seem to be very one-sidded also, sometimes for us, sometimes against us

5A schools get to choose the refs for their games first then 4A then 3A then 2A then 1A

garciap77
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
5A Sucks!:D

;)

rojosgirl
11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Interesting observations Crabman. I think I'll stick with Cuero and class 3A! ;)

BwdLion73
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by gordo
5A schools get to choose the refs for their games first then 4A then 3A then 2A then 1A

That should make for an interesting night at a 6 man game.;)

3afan
11-03-2009, 11:12 AM

11. ........ Backs and receivers are not that much different than what you can see in 3A.

uhhmm, no way ... yes some 3A programs have "special" skill players now and then but year in and year out there is no comparison ...

crabman
11-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I forgot. Grand Prairie had a guy in the drill team, a guy cheerleader, and a guy in the flag corps.

The one in the drill team was a little creepy. He wore the sombrero with the little dingle balls on it.

44INAROW
11-05-2009, 09:53 AM
little dingle balls on it.

:D he said Dingle Balls :D :D