PDA

View Full Version : Orangefield... District21AAAChamps?

HOSSDADDY
09-09-2002, 10:43 PM
What does everyone think about orangefields chances this year? I know it is early but they sure looked sharp against PNG. Do you think this might be their breakout year?

Birdman
09-09-2002, 11:35 PM
Orangefield did look good Friday night and will be a force to be dealt with. The Bobcats will definately be in the hunt for a playoff position this year. Not taking anything away from OF, you can't believe how slow and bad PN-G looked. They took their 3A opponent lightly and got their tails kicked. OF wore down in the 4th with most kids going both ways on a wet field. Those zebras had purple and white stripes on in the 4th quarter.

BigRed01
09-10-2002, 03:00 AM
That's great they played PNG a good game, but I think BC will beat OF by at least 2 touchdowns. The cardinals just have too many weapons that they can throw at you. You also have to take in to account, when is the last time an OF team beat a BC team? It had to be at least in the 1970's.(probably in the 60's) I really don't know the answer to this question. I just know it was long before I played at BC in the 80's, and to my knowledge they have not beaten them any in the 90's to present. Orangefield will always put up a good fight against BC, but I think this is definetly the wrong year to be touting a district championship against BC. But who knows stranger things have happened.
Good luck.

bccards
09-10-2002, 10:25 AM
the last time that Orangefield had even played Bridge City prior to BC getting in 3A in 2000 was on Sept. 2, 1983.

Sept. 7, 1956 Orangefield Won 0 - 20
Sept. 7, 1957 Orangefield Won 0 - 19
Sept. 12. 1958 Orangefield Won 0 - 8
Sept. 11, 1959 BC Won 22 - 6
Sept. 9, 1960 Orangefield Won 10 - 14
Sept. 8, 1961 BC Won 2 - 0
Sept. 4, 1982 BC Won 34 - 0
Sept. 2, 1983 BC Won 14 - 8

Records:
Orangefield 4
Bridge City 4 (6 Now)

(Tied Series up until 2000)

Scores courtesy of trianglefootball.net

Old Cardinal
09-10-2002, 11:17 AM
I enjoyed the summation by BC CARDS...I played in some of those games, so did my son and son-in-law and a lot of friends from both towns. It's interesting, in that the two greatest teams that OF has had just happened to face two of BC's better teams. In 1959, OF was highly touted as having the biggest team in Texas HS football. A tough team from BC, led by BC's Big QB, Wayne Brint, left them in the dust with sweep after sweep, till they were exhausted. Again, in 1982, OF's unit was touted to be the best team in OF history and were predicted to win big. Bridge City, was more than they could handle, it turned out 34-0, that night. This OF team is good and will be a playoff team, but I believe that BC will prevail, because they are no slouches either. To HossDaddy, I think your post would be equilavent to predicting that Diboll will be the Champions over Jasper and Newton. Possible but not very likely.

JKLL
09-10-2002, 07:06 PM
There definately seems to be a renewed enthusiasm in Bobcat country. Played PNG very tough, only to be beaten by the zebras and the timekeeper in the end. Barring injuries and continued improvement anything can happen. BC is only one injury away from falling back to the pack. Not wishing any bad luck but ya'll know what I mean. Without M. P. ya'll probably struggle to win District.

Old Cardinal
09-10-2002, 09:46 PM
JkLL, You have always been real hard on BC, through the years. Last year, Matt had a concussion, shoulder separation and several other substancial injuries. They can win without him, as you should know. Yes, its easier to win with him. That is why BC is playing so many players, thus far, Tell me have you seen them play this year? Matt only carried 16 times in their last game. Yes they can win again this year without him, if they have to.

JKLL
09-11-2002, 06:24 AM
Yes, Old Card BC has a very good team. Only Peebles is the "very". Without him ya'll are still good, but I have heard that overall team speed is down by as much as 60%. And as you know speed and quickness dominate in high school football. I did see the LCM game. Peebles did have 3 td's and over 200 yds, take that out of the mix and a really not that good LCM team hangs in there. You will probably first notice the loss of team speed when Newton comes to town. Good Luck!

Old Cardinal
09-11-2002, 03:55 PM
I hate to say it, but that statement that speed is down 60% over last year, is probably the dumbist statement I have ever heard made on this message site! How do you measure that, take 4.8 team average and extrapolate the team speed out at, 8.0 seconds on the forty meter? You have shown a lot of sanity before, why not spend some time trying to recover it!

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 11, 2002).]

duckbutter
09-11-2002, 04:18 PM
"extrapolate".......boy I must have gone to the wrong college.

JKLL
09-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Sorry, I'll explain. What I am talking about is the number of 40 times under 5 flat. Seems that total is far below last years team. Surely you know that team speed is meaureable. Hope this explanation gets me out of the asylum.

Old Cardinal
09-11-2002, 09:06 PM
No you probably received a degree in P. E. instead of Science or Engineering.

Birdman
09-12-2002, 12:00 AM
JKLL,
"Peebles did have 3 td's and over 200 yds, take that out of the mix and a really not that good LCM team hangs in there." ????? Using that reasoning, let's take Sauceda out of last Friday's mix and Orangefield barely moves the ball and is probably shutout. I think you see the absurdity of both statements.

Birdman
09-12-2002, 12:07 AM
Old Cardinal,
You should be in heaven this year as Coach Tarver's degree is in Engineering and not P.E. You sure take shots at P.E. degrees every chance you get. Do remember that every joke about P.E. degrees can be matched by those of engineers with no common sense! Just pickin' at ya!! See you Friday night!

Old Cardinal
09-12-2002, 08:37 AM
TO Birdman, Yes their are some very smart Coaches out there; however, many P.E. Degrees are now being given out to people with as low an IQ as 85. I think it would important to campaign to get some upgrades in this degree plan. There are College grads, that are P.E. majors, that make too low to be hired by any progressive industrial jobs in the area. When they put some teeth in your Degree plan, then you will not be the academically laughing stock of any College campus. Clean up your Profession, as you call it, and I think our kids across America will have better skilled teachers. Yes, I have no problem with Coach Tarver. He seems to be a lot smarter than some of those that hired him!

classof 85
09-12-2002, 10:33 AM
You referred to LC-M not being real good. I've got news for you PN-G is worse and will finnish last in 20-4a. I think Orangefield will be much improved but won't beat the Cards this year.I do think they will have a shot next year though - just a shot though. Also If you want to take out our T.B. Due to injury I think Hypothetically you have to take Orangefields out and if I recall correctly He's the only reason you guys had a shot against PN-G. I'LL take M.G. as a tailback anyday if M.P. goes down(Hopefully none of them will)but you never know. Good luck bobcats do the district proud.

JKLL
09-12-2002, 04:13 PM
Birdman, I am sure Mr. Sauceda would take it as a compliment but to compare him to Peebles, now that's absurd. But you are right without Sauceda's speed OF's offense struggles against png. Hey you ain't gonna take that off Old Card are you? To Classof 85 M.G. is an exceptional young man with a lot of heart, but he ain't no M.P. I agree let's hope none go down with injury. I should not have brought it up and for that I apologize.

Birdman
09-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Old Card, My profession???? I assure you I am smarter than some coaches and quite of few engineers too! LOL. I do hope you are not one of those deluded into thinking that coaches need a degree in P.E. There is not a required field of study to be a coach other than having a teaching certificate. Where have you acquired your data concerning the I.Q. of some P.E. major?? As an engineer you know firsthand that you are only as good as your information. Since that information is usually private, I can only assume you either found someone bragging about their 85 IQ, or may be privy to private records, or heard "someone" say what they heard which is hearsay and gossip.
Now I must say that I do not know the specifics of what a P.E. major entail. It has been a few years since I was in college and I didn't run around with many P.E. majors. You may have a valid point, but let's not besmirch an entire field of study without dealing with some specifics as to how you would "beef up" the degree. Besides some of those guys are pretty big and might figure out who we are!!LOL

Old Cardinal
09-12-2002, 06:07 PM
Birdman,There are many many studies that are public records out there...One easy to find study, is found on the search engine GOOGLE under "Education Decline". It gives the range of IQ's for 20 groupings of College Degrees and Kin.Degrees rank at the bottom. In the same study,it groups the, I think Graduate Records Exam, of Degrees into 20 groupings, and again Kin. majors come in last. There are plenty of Public records out there available and they all say the same thing. My point is that, teachers should not be allowed to sail through America's Colleges on fluff"education" A's, as the lowest strata of Grads and then teach our children. I think that teacher's educational status should be upgraded, with corresponding RAISES to more living salaries. Beginning and ending yearly "Achievement Test" of their children, under their care, would soon winnow out the ones that a just milking the taxpayer and wasting the kids time in public schools. I can assure you, Birdman, folks in industry are tested on a regular basis for competancy, and production goals, patent disclosures, and many other things, related to ongoing training education. That alone is the reason they command more money in the job market place. I am a strong proponent of Public Education, I think it is a tragedy to see good College Grad folks pulling their kids out to "home school"; or have to send them to private school. Hey, this is America, they have a right to demand a higher level of training skills. Please don't take this personal, there are still some very dedicated teachers out there that need the public support. It's just that learning is in a crisis and everyone including you and me, that are concerned, are searching for an answer. Turning out P. E. grads that don't measure up to the standards of all other grads sure ruins it for the other P. E. grads that don't fall into that catagory. Again I say clean up your Profession and it will quickly be recognized and appreciated as a viable Profession.

Birdman
09-12-2002, 06:31 PM
Wow, Old Cardinal just made me a Coach!! Now maybe the real coaches will listen to me!!