PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport @ Decatur ("Battle of Big Sandy")

Bullaholic
11-01-2009, 09:56 AM
This week is the 90th annual "Battle of Big Sandy" between the Bridgeport Bulls and the Decatur Eagles. This is one of the oldest and most intense rivalries in Texas High School football.

The Bulls come into this game on a roll, having won all of their district games so far, and have a 5-4 overall record. With a win, the Bulls will lock up their 2nd straight District 5-3A championship and look forward to the DII playoffs.

The Eagles have not faired as well this year and are 2-2 in district and 3-6 overall and will probably be at home for the playoffs this year.

You can throw the records out the window for this one folks---these two teams are old, intense rivals from the helmet to the cleats, including the fans of both towns who will turn out in great numbers. Decatur can literally make their season, despite a less than impressive record, with a win over the Bulls, and the Bulls can earn bragging rights for the 2nd season in a row and lots of sweet revenge, after suffering some huge losses for 6 seasons in a row to the Eagles prior to 2008.

I think the Bulls will come ready to play and take this one by 21+. Bring on them dirty birds....

Go Bulls! WDA!

eagle12
11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Bridgeport will win this one by a lot, played both teams, and bridgeport is way better

statewide
11-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Bridgeport should win this one.

Bullaholic
11-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks, guys, but Decatur will be in 'kamakazi' mode, and as Phil C likes to say, "We must be most careful--scary indeed." :D

OldBison75
11-01-2009, 12:30 PM
The Bulls have had to go through some growing pains this year and have graduated to a pretty good team at the right time of year. It looks like they enter the playoffs with an undefeated record and have the tools to make the playoffs interesting. Bridgeport will win this week and roll into the first round on a high note. A little confidence and this team could be a big spoiler for some in the playoffs. Good Luck Bulls.

Bullaholic
11-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
The Bulls have had to go through some growing pains this year and have graduated to a pretty good team at the right time of year. It looks like they enter the playoffs with an undefeated record and have the tools to make the playoffs interesting. Bridgeport will win this week and roll into the first round on a high note. A little confidence and this team could be a big spoiler for some in the playoffs. Good Luck Bulls.

I GUARANTEE we will go at least 2 deep, OldBison. :D

BLACK ATTACK
11-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Played 'em both......The Bulls roll.....BIG

MamaBull
11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
decatur is the worst team i have ever seen in my life.

bulls-1,000,000
eagles-0

5wide
11-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Ouch thts a def punch in the gut...

slpybear the bullfan
11-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Bulls win big, but...

on a related note, the biggest story about this game will be how much the students of the two communities have come together to remember our fallent student, Leslie Denison.

You kids... I mean Young Adults have restored my faith.

MamaBull
11-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Go Bulls! WDA!

statewide
11-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Bulls win big, but...

on a related note, the biggest story about this game will be how much the students of the two communities have come together to remember our fallent student, Leslie Denison.

You kids... I mean Young Adults have restored my faith.

That is neat and much bigger than any football game.

BullsFan
11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by statewide
That is neat and much bigger than any football game.

Yes, it is. While I hope Bridgeport wins and wins big, I think pretty highly of how the kids and community of Decatur have really tried to help out this year after the tragedy in this community.

And it would be wise to remember that Bridgeport and Decatur are always UP to play each other, and that a less-than-stellar Decatur team could redeem their entire season with a win against Bridgeport at home.

So I'll just pick Bridgeport to win by 2 touchdowns and stay on the conservative side. ;)

Send_the_House
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
We know how intense friday night will be. What about thursday. Anyone know how the subvarsity games will go? Records of both schools? Rivalry games are fun to watch from the top down...

BurkFan
11-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Bridgeport wins this game handily. Although I like rivalvries.

Did not hear story alluded in the post as teams rallying around another student though. What happened?

5wide
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Decaturs starting qb out with a concussion so far but heard they moved a runnig back to qb midway thru the Vernon game

PHOP
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Good kids on both sides of the ball

Best of luck to both teams - I believe Bridgeport will win because they are much more physical.

Best of luck to all

Eaglefan
11-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Decatur JV will win Thursday night with ease, although they have some that have moved up to Varsity, this team has a lot of depth, which will be to their advantage the next two years....Decatur Freshman should win too.

BullsFan
11-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by BurkFan
Did not hear story alluded in the post as teams rallying around another student though. What happened?

I'm sure you've heard that earlier in the year there was an accident involving two of our cheerleaders/cross country runners as they were running one day after school. One girl was killed, the other injured pretty seriously. Decatur did lots of things in honor of our fallen students--tying ribbons, wearing tshirts, that kind of thing. The one that stuck out the most to me was when the entire Decatur girls' cross country team came over and ran with our girls the first time they practiced after the accident, which was a week later. Decatur's cross country team is arguably the best in the state, and they have the state trophies to back it up. But they stayed behind our team the entire run, offering moral support and a real morale boost to our girls. That was outstanding.

Eaglefan
11-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Bridgeport equally supported Decatur last year when one of our volleyball players was killed in a car accident. Goes to show you that we are all part of a bigger team.

BullsFan
11-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Eaglefan
Goes to show you that we are all part of a bigger team.

That's an excellent way to word it. :)

Bullaholic
11-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Decatur will still be wearing their same 'designer' uniforms: :D

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/decaturuni.jpg

slpybear the bullfan
11-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Decatur will still be wearing their same 'designer' uniforms: :D

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/decaturuni.jpg

And with that, the group hugs go on pause for a few days and the rivalry talk settles in... WDA!!!

Bullaholic
11-02-2009, 03:27 PM
And with that, the group hugs go on pause for a few days and the rivalry talk settles in... WDA!!!

Sure hope that things are not so slow that I have to resort to digging up Sportsdude again, slpy. :D Nah, on second thought, things will never get that bad. :D I would like to hear from Natedog again, though. He usually manages to take up for his dirty birds on a post or two every year.

BurkFan
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh wow! Hats off and respect as always to both schools! Great schools!

Bullaholic
11-02-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks, BF, I'm glad your son is going to get to see some playoff action with the 'Dogs. Wish you guys the best and know that you will represent 5-3A well in D1. Best of Luck...

BurkFan
11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks Bullaholic! Good luck to you guys as well!

44INAROW
11-02-2009, 04:33 PM

amen, what a nice story!

Bullaholic
11-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
amen, what a nice story!

We like those Decatur folks 51 weeks a year, 44'. :D

(Both towns have had great kids for a lot of years.)

BullsFan
11-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Sure hope that things are not so slow that I have to resort to digging up Sportsdude again, slpy. :D Nah, on second thought, things will never get that bad. :D

Oh, "Mr. Impartial"? ;) I don't think you could dig him up if you tried, though. Didn't he head off to greener pastures?

5wide
11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Predict the score of the game? By honest opinions...

38 14 bulls

Bullaholic
11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Oh, "Mr. Impartial"? ;) I don't think you could dig him up if you tried, though. Didn't he head off to greener pastures?

Yea, I hear he has gone to seek his fortune elsewhere. I invited him up to the board last year before the Decatur game, hoping for a liitle good-natured smack talking and he proved to be an embarrassment by getting personal with slpybear instead of talking about the game.

MamaBull
11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Yea, I hear he has gone to seek his fortune elsewhere. I invited him up to the board last year before the Decatur game, hoping for a liitle good-natured smack talking and he proved to be an embarrassment by getting personal with slpybear instead of talking about the game. not smart.

BullsFan
11-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Yea, I hear he has gone to seek his fortune elsewhere. I invited him up to the board last year before the Decatur game, hoping for a liitle good-natured smack talking and he proved to be an embarrassment by getting personal with slpybear instead of talking about the game.

I remember him showing up, and remember his obvious bias...something he was a little unwilling to show in other forums. Most notably the local sports board where he always blamed the Bridgeport posters for any animosity...

Yeah, I don't think I miss him. At all.

(Not that he'd show up this year anyway.)

Budman007
11-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Ok, tar and feather me later. But, I actually miss 'ol sportsdude at least a little bit. It was always so easy to push his buttons and then sit back and watch him go into spasms when you disagreed with him. Just to think that sports fans elsewhere are now benefiting from the cheap entertainment associated with his pompous, arrogant, know-it-all, mad-at-the-world attitude.

Bulls win 2009 Battle of Big Sandy 44-10, with or without a continuous clock!

GO BULLS!!!

Bullaholic
11-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Budman007
Ok, tar and feather me later. But, I actually miss 'ol sportsdude at least a little bit. It was always so easy to push his buttons and then sit back and watch him go into spasms when you disagreed with him. Just to think that sports fans elsewhere are now benefiting from the cheap entertainment associated with his pompous, arrogant, know-it-all, mad-at-the-world attitude.

Bulls win 2009 Battle of Big Sandy 44-10, with or without a continuous clock!

GO BULLS!!!

'Bout time you showed up, Budman...:D If you can't 'play' with sportsdude, there's always Rocket on the Brownwood threads. :D

slpybear the bullfan
11-04-2009, 11:15 AM

Ahhh yes... how soon we forget. I remember good ol Robert chiming in on last years game, (and not enjoying the heat he took from several of us on the article he wrote.)

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88745&perpage=15&pagenumber=10

But what I remember most about last year's game was the fireworks show after the game. Superbly done and another round of thanks to those guys who made it happen... a year later and I still get jacked up over that special night!

BullsFan
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Ahhh yes... how soon we forget. I remember good ol Robert chiming in on last years game, (and not enjoying the heat he took from several of us on the article he wrote.)

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88745&perpage=15&pagenumber=10

He sure went after you in a big way, didn't he slpy? Guess he forgot to put on his big boy pants before he starting printing his opinions for all the world...er, Wise County to see.

But what I remember most about last year's game was the fireworks show after the game. Superbly done and another round of thanks to those guys who made it happen... a year later and I still get jacked up over that special night!

A year later and that picture--the scoreboard with the firewords behind it--it still my desktop background.

Eaglefan
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
We know how intense friday night will be. What about thursday. Anyone know how the subvarsity games will go? Records of both schools? Rivalry games are fun to watch from the top down...

All four of Decatur's middle school teams defeated Bridgeport Tuesday night. Now it is time for Decatur's Freshman and JV to do the same thing tonight!!!!

5wide
11-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Do u have the scores?

Eaglefan
11-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 5wide
Do u have the scores?

Decatur 7th A won 34-14
7th B won 20-0
8th A won 38-22
8th B won 30-0

Eaglefan
11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Decatur took care of business tonight and won both the Freshman and JV games!

SOONER09
11-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Wow! Is that what the Decatur folks get excited about now. You won't be excited after Friday night. Good luck in basketball.

LeonJr
11-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Leon says "Sports Dude and Gilbert need to make an apperance on the Down Low"

Eaglefan
11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SOONER09
Wow! Is that what the Decatur folks get excited about now. You won't be excited after Friday night. Good luck in basketball.

We're excited about the future! Oh and also our state ranked girls volleyball team and our state ranked girls and boys cross country teams! And those are in the here and now!!! Go Eagles!!!!!!!!!

Bullaholic
11-06-2009, 10:22 AM
About 10.5 hours from now......

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/pluckchick2.jpg

Go Bulls!