PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GOTW Edna 7-1 (4-0) vs Cuero 9-0 (4-0)

R4Editor
10-31-2009, 09:57 AM
One thing I’ve learned about GOTW is no matter what game I pick, someone is going to be upset. So I thought I’d take a moment to explain my choice. The games I considered:

La Vernia vs. Luling.
Everyone knows the story of Luling losing their coach. Here you have a team that was winless last year, they finally win a game, and the next week their coach, Robert Dean, passes away. Since then Luling has won every game they’ve played and clinched a playoff spot. This week they have La Vernia, a heavy favorite, but if the Luling Eagles win, they take the District Championship.

Sealy @ La Grange.
We’ve covered D25 a lot and there is almost always something about this district on the 1st page of the message board. Both of these teams are title contenders, maybe not favorites when you plug in Gilmer, Carthage, and other notable teams, but contenders none the less. The probable 2nd round match-up between Cuero and Sealy is already penciled in as GOTW, and we would not be surprised at all if La Grange ends up playing Giddings again. We will get these teams some serious ink in the coming weeks.

Cuero-Edna just had too many story lines for us to ignore. For the first time in years Cuero has a legitimate challenger in D28. On the coaching staff at Cuero is Rob Schoenfeld, the AD/HC at Edna in ’07 when the Cowboys were last in the playoffs. It’s Coach Schoenfeld who helped to develop Edna QB Kam Jones, and just watch his eyes light up when he talks about Kam. On the Edna staff, Defensive Coordinator Wade Birchum and O-line Coach Dustin Nessel are former Gobbler players. Is it any wonder that two of the strengths of this Edna team are its O-line play and defense? A generation ago, Cuero’s Head Coach Mark Reeve coached Ervin Yates, an outstanding RB who held most of the rushing records in Victoria. Ervin Yates Jr is the star RB for the Cowboys. In Dave Campbell’s Texas Top 300, 4 players are from Region IV, 3A. Two of those four are the QBs in this game, Cuero’s Tyler Arndt and Edna’s Kam Jones. It’s going to standing room only for the 82nd meeting (46-30-5 in Cuero’s favor) between the Edna Cowboys and Cuero Gobblers.

Johnny Utah
10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Gobblers vs. Cowboys will be a good game. 2nd round of the playoffs....look out for the black and gold.

Lake Pirate
10-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Mathis v Falfurrias
Just Kidding:D . you're doing an awesome job picking, keep it up

44INAROW
10-31-2009, 10:21 AM
my apologies to CueroDad08 - I was trying to merge your poll with the GOTW and honestly don't know what happened to your post/Poll so I made a new one. Can you please repost what you posted?

Gobbla2001
10-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Dustin Nessel's most memorable game, to me, was his senior year when he sat in a chair on the sideline with a rattlesnake bite...

just kiddin', played with Nessel, good guy, fierce competitor, has probably rubbed off on his players... Congrats!

R4Editor
10-31-2009, 10:57 AM
http://www.myvictoriaonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3092:edna-keeps-perfect-district-mark-&catid=47:friday-football-fever&Itemid=88

A few Edna highlights from the Victoria TV station. A nice run by Yates Jr.

CueroDad08
10-31-2009, 11:14 AM
I for one am very glad there is a 2nd team in 28-AAA to look out for when the playoffs do get underway. I know alot of people agree that the Cowboys are good and have made many think they can come into Cuero and knock off the Gobblers. But this could also be just what the Gobblers need. All the kids know and read what others think. And for the first time in many years they get a distric game that will have so much on the line. So I can promiss you that Cuero will be ready to roll. I just dont see the Cowboys stopping Cuero when the Gobblers have the ball. They will see a very balanced team that will move the ball up and down the field. I do see the Cowboys being able to move the ball as well and score points. But The Gobblers D will adjust and get a few stops and outscore the Cowboys when it is all over.

XtremeCouture
10-31-2009, 11:39 AM
this one won't be close

Gobbla2001
10-31-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking a barn burner, both teams 'round the 30s/40s... maybe even a Wharton/Cuero '04 thing going on with both teams in the 50s... hell 70s maybe...

IHStangFan
10-31-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking it's business as usual w/ Cuero. Sure....Edna has had a nice season....but this one won't even be the close, nail biter that everyone seems to think it's gonna be. Up until now Cuero has been on cruise control.....they will mash the gas pedal against Edna and remind everyone they are the big cheese in D28.

Cuero by at 17-25 points.

Cowboy_Up
10-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'm thinking it's business as usual w/ Cuero. Sure....Edna has had a nice season....but this one won't even be the close, nail biter that everyone seems to think it's gonna be. Up until now Cuero has been on cruise control.....they will mash the gas pedal against Edna and remind everyone they are the big cheese in D28.

Cuero by at 17-25 points.

The only people who think it might be close or a nail biter are those who have seen Edna play.
Those who haven't seen Edna, or both teams, will assume it will be like it's been the last 7 years, a Cuero blowout. Ask people who have seen or played against both teams if they think Edna can stay on the field with Cuero.

Green Bling
10-31-2009, 04:56 PM
All of you fans of the offense, this could be the game for you. You have big scoring power on both teams, lots of interesting side stories, great potential for thought provoking 3ADL posts, and a good challenge for both teams going into the playoffs. It just don't get no better'n this. Great pick for GOTW!! :D

SintonFan_inAustin
10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Refugio is no Cuero but as close as you can get around Victoria area and Edna hang tough with them. Cuero will or should pull away late in the game but i think Edna shows they can play with the big boys.

Footballhudini
10-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm taking edna by 9

1st and goal
10-31-2009, 09:44 PM
This will probably be a great game. I have not seen either team play. With Cuero having home field advantage, I would be surprised if Edna wins on the road. Nothing 'gainst Edner, I bought a truck from there once....

Cowboy Up, it looks like it's going to be about 830 posters against you.:D If anyone can handle it tho', you can...:cool:

12thMan
10-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow! I am so excited to see a game with so much on the line for Cuero before the playoffs. We normally don't see this kind of comp. till the playoffs. This will be a great game for both teams. It will be close in the first half, then Cuero will show Edna why their the defending Region IV champs. Can't wait!!

IHStangFan
10-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
The only people who think it might be close or a nail biter are those who have seen Edna play.
Those who haven't seen Edna, or both teams, will assume it will be like it's been the last 7 years, a Cuero blowout. Ask people who have seen or played against both teams if they think Edna can stay on the field with Cuero. I guess we'll find out, but I don't expect a close game.....just my opinion. No harm or ill feelings towards Edna, I wish them the best but.....I just think Cuero will step it up a notch next Friday.

29-3aFAN
10-31-2009, 11:49 PM
I've seen both teams play. All I can say is the last team with the ball will win. Cuero is explosive with Jackson and Edna is big and physical, with the X factor in Kam Jones.

SHSBulldog00
10-31-2009, 11:51 PM
I've seen Kam Jones; he is explosive but I have also seen Cuero's Defense and the Gobbler's will Gobble up the Cowboy's Offense.

Mean Green Fan
11-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Yes I also think Cuero's defense will hold Edna in check enough to win.
I think Edna will have problems trying to contain Jackson,Ardnt and the rest of Cuero's offense.

I think Edna has had a great season and I hope they go far in the playoffs:)

rhp85
11-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 29-3aFAN
I've seen both teams play. All I can say is the last team with the ball will win. Cuero is explosive with Jackson and Edna is big and physical, with the X factor in Kam Jones.

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Green Bling
great potential for thought provoking 3ADL posts
LOL! That cracks me up for some reason. :D

XtremeCouture
11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah Edna is a decent team. It's just a bad matchup for them. They won't beat cuero with speed. The teams that give cuero trouble are the big physical teams. Edna will lose by 20+

Green Bling
11-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
LOL! That cracks me up for some reason. :D

My mission in life - to provide a chuckle from time to time!:D :D

Cowboy_Up
11-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
Yeah Edna is a decent team. It's just a bad matchup for them. They won't beat cuero with speed. The teams that give cuero trouble are the big physical teams. Edna will lose by 20+
You obviously haven't seen Edna.
FYI across the O-line
280, 270, 215, 260, 240, TE 6, 3" 240
Edna can run wide and straight at you.
Don't get me wrong, I don't know for sure that we can over power the Gobbler front 7, but we've knocked most everyone else off the ball.
I actually think we match up well.
Our D puts tremendous pressure on the opposing QB as our LBs are very fast...big question on D is can we stop Jackson. I like our chances if we get Cuero into down and distance situations that favor us. Jackson runs wild, we're done.

On O, I look for us to run some ball control. I know you all gave up a lot of yards to Yoakum's Hights, and I think you'll be surprised at how fast, and how tough, Yates runs. Cuero flies to the ball on D and you'll need to as not many tackle Yates one on one. Oh, and if you blitz, make sure you contain, or you'll be chasing.

pirate4state
11-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I like that Edna was able to hang with Refugio. They might be able to hang with Cuero a few quarters, but in the end, I think Cuero is just too strong. They know how to win & finish games and will not lose on their home field. If this game was in Edna, I'd pick Edna.

Best of luck to both teams. You are both in the playoffs and that's a good thing! :thumbsup:

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
edna?.....NO! cuero rolls.... big

Gobbla2001
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
probably the best offense Cuero's played against all year...

gunna come down to a stop or two...

CueroDad08
11-01-2009, 08:29 PM
You obviously haven't seen Edna.
FYI across the O-line
280, 270, 215, 260, 240, TE 6, 3" 240
Edna can run wide and straight at you.
Don't get me wrong, I don't know for sure that we can over power the Gobbler front 7, but we've knocked most everyone else off the ball.
I actually think we match up well.
Our D puts tremendous pressure on the opposing QB as our LBs are very fast...big question on D is can we stop Jackson. I like our chances if we get Cuero into down and distance situations that favor us. Jackson runs wild, we're done.

On O, I look for us to run some ball control. I know you all gave up a lot of yards to Yoakum's Hights, and I think you'll be surprised at how fast, and how tough, Yates runs. Cuero flies to the ball on D and you'll need to as not many tackle Yates one on one. Oh, and if you blitz, make sure you contain, or you'll be chasing.

Cuero is well aware of the speed Edna has. They played them last year and this summer in 7 on 7. Cuero will keep Yates and Jones contained. Edna will need someone other than those two to step up to keep this close. Looking at the numbers for the season, Stop those two and you stop the Cowboys.

Passing
Name Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Kam Jones 42 74 56.76 659 4 2
Jeremy Jarrett 0 1 0 0 0 0

Rushing
Name Att Yds Yds/Att TD
Erwin Yates 80 626 7.83 12
Kam Jones 51 349 6.84 4
Brandon Callis 35 124 3.54 1
Adam Boston 13 35 2.69 0
Keith Jahn 3 7 2.33 0
Kam Runnels 1 5 5 0
Jeremy Jarrett 1 5 5 0
Matt Brzozowski 1 -1 -1 0

Receiving
Name Rec Yds Yds/Catch TD
Colten Clay 14 216 15 1
Deion Barnes 10 152 15 2
Erwin Yates 3 120 40 1
Kam Runnels 7 84 12 1
Milton Ekins 2 28 14 0
Milton Jenkins 1 25 25 0

Cowboy_Up
11-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure where you got your stats, but they are incorrect, I know for sure...and old, I think... but mainly just plain wrong. But you are correct in that Yates and Jones are Edna's biggest threats. And yes, stop them and you'll win easily. Simple plan.

I don't know that Edna has more speed than Cuero, it was one of your fans that wrote about how you will contain our speed. My point was we can pound the ball. Like most everyone here, you'll have to see for yourself.

CueroDad08
11-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure where you got your stats, but they are incorrect, I know for sure...and old, I think... but mainly just plain wrong. But you are correct in that Yates and Jones are Edna's biggest threats. And yes, stop them and you'll win easily. Simple plan.

I don't know that Edna has more speed than Cuero, it was one of your fans that wrote about how you will contain our speed. My point was we can pound the ball. Like most everyone here, you'll have to see for yourself.

Yes from the size of your line,that would be the best game plan for Edna. But if you fall behind 14-21 early, you then would have to go try and do something you have not done much of this year.

Cowboy_Up
11-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I just found where your getting your stats...off of Gobbler sports?
Anyhow, if you check the box scores you'll see your missing 3 games worth of stats. Just an FYI if you care to post with accuracy.

If we fall behind by 14-21 early I'd agree that we may be in for a long night.

Really though, the only point I'm trying to make to the Gobbler faithful is we're better than you think...and it's not all measured in stats. Guess we'll see soon enough...gonna be a long week.

CueroDad08
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I just found where your getting your stats...off of Gobbler sports?
Anyhow, if you check the box scores you'll see your missing 3 games worth of stats. Just an FYI if you care to post with accuracy.

If we fall behind by 14-21 early I'd agree that we may be in for a long night.

Really though, the only point I'm trying to make to the Gobbler faithful is we're better than you think...and it's not all measured in stats. Guess we'll see soon enough...gonna be a long week.

Most from Cuero know's how good Edna is. They have most of what every high school team would love to have.(Speed,Size,and a great QB) All I am saying is, Keep the game close and you can do what you do best, Fall behind 14-21 early. And you are forced to do something your not used to doing.

Mean Green Fan
11-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I think Cuero fans are aware that Edna has a good ball club.
Im NOT so sure Edna fans realize just how good Cuero is:thinking:

12thMan
11-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Everyone I have talked to here in Cuero knows Edna is a good football team. I think cuero has to many weapons and will make enough stops on defense to take the district championship. Also, Cuero is playing at home. We are tuff to beat at home. I don't see Edna winning on our field.

LaVernia is a big physical team also. Ask them how hard it is to win in Gobbler land. I see Tyler having a 200+ passing game. He'll lead this team to victory.

29-3aFAN
11-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by 12thMan
I see Tyler having a 200+ passing game. He'll lead this team to victory.

As long as he stays upright. When I watched Edna play Yoakum, their D-line was blowing people off the ball and on the QB play after play. Should be a good game. Can't wait.

pirate4state
11-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Mean Green Fan

Im NOT so sure Edna fans realize just how good Cuero is:thinking:

HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG are you serious with this post???? LMAO. :doh:

gordo
11-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Edna is muched better coached than Cuero. I think this will make a huge difference in the game. Cowboys 28 Gobblers 21

44INAROW
11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by gordo
Edna is muched better coached than Cuero. I think this will make a huge difference in the game. Cowboys 28 Gobblers 21

Whoa.. that's a big statement!

Cowboy_Up
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
now Gordo
quit :stirpot:

Cuero's got very good coaching, no doubt about that.

as for Edna, I hope we keep Coach Pierce and his present staff around for a lot more years.

Mean Green Fan...I don't think Edna has beaten Cuero for a couple of decades and most of those games have been ugly...we know all too well how good Cuero can play.

I think you'll find that the kids and the coaches are well aware of how good each team is, it's the fans that think because it's always been, it'll always be...maybe so, maybe not.

gordo
11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Cuero will not be ready for the cowboys. They have become complacent.

44INAROW
11-02-2009, 11:58 AM

as for Edna, I hope we keep Coach Pierce and his present staff around for a lot more years.

That's a good point. Hopefully the coaching staff is able to stay in place a few years and the Freshman can go all 4 years with the same "game plan" It's got to be hard on the players when new coaching plans come into play on a two year rotation (not saying that's what's happening in Edna I have no idea how long the coach has been there) but just saying in general.

44INAROW
11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Cuero will not be ready for the cowboys. They have become complacent.
:D well, if they HAD become complacent- I can guarantee after your last 2 posts, they won't be. Guess where I just sent an email too ;) Thanks for the Locker Room Weekly Banner material :p :p

Cowboy_Up
11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
yeah, and who wants to bet Gordo is from Cuero:)

ps...I think the intensity of this game isn't going to change due to little quotes off an internet message board;)

gordo
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
:D well, if they HAD - I can guarantee after your last 2 posts, they won't be. Guess where I just sent an email too ;) Thanks for the Locker Room Weekly Banner material :p :p

Your welcome.
Edna finally has some coaches getting them boys to work and play hard!

You know I think they will shut Cuero out.

rojosgirl
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, it will be a long week. Lots of "stuff" to get stirred up out there. It will be nice to have a big game within the district. Cuero and Edna both have good teams, fans, and coaches.That, plus some interesting storylines to go along with it, and this has all the makings of a classic Friday night lights clash. Things will be rockin' at Gobbler Stadium. Good luck and safe travels to all!

GO-MEAN GREEN! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ruserious
11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 29-3aFAN
As long as he stays upright. When I watched Edna play Yoakum, their D-line was blowing people off the ball and on the QB play after play. Should be a good game. Can't wait. ;) :ditto:

Ruserious
11-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Hope we have a good clean game that gets us both ready for the playoffs. Edna wins in a close one due to 4 quarters of tough football.

StangEm
11-02-2009, 01:43 PM
My prediction:

Cuero 28
Edna 6

Not much chance for Edna to do big things in this one.

fumanchu
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
35-21 Cuero but not as close as the score indicates...

GreenMachine
11-02-2009, 05:08 PM
This game will not be a blowout either way. I respect what the coaches have done in Edna and I think that it is good that we have two explosive teams in our district. Whoever said the coaches in Edna are better... I would hate to make a living off of that statement. The Gobblers record over the last six or so seasons shows what a great coaching staff we have. Like I said, no blowouts either way, just hopefully a hardnosed, clean football game that gets us both ready for the playoffs. By the way, since the game is in Cuero, I will take the Gobblers by a td.

Mean Green Fan
11-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Here are my reasons why Cuero will win!

(1) The game is in Cuero....Its a home game and Cuero fans will pack the stadium. History shows Cuero is almost impossible to beat at home.

(2) IHStang said it best..."Up until now Cuero has been on cruise control.....they will mash the gas pedal against Edna and remind everyone they are the big cheese in D28."

(3) This game is a tune-up for the playoffs for both teams. Look for Cuero to open the play book more and play the starters more.

(4) Cuero has faced teams that are big and physical and won.
La Vernia,Devine,Yoakum and all these teams will most likely make the playoffs.

(5) The common test was Yoakumwith Cuero having to play Yoakum at home where all season long they have played their best.

(6) Edna could not stop Refugio's offense or running game.I dont see them stopping Cuero's balanced attack.

(7) Cuero's defense when they need too can step up and stop physical teams.Devine,La Vernia,Yoakum.

(8)Cuero's Pre district schedule shows they are battle tested and they can come from behind and win the big games.

(9) I think its Edna's QB who will do a lot of running on friday or be on his back.

Go Mean Green:cheerl: :cheerl:

44INAROW
11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Is it Friday yet? It is so much fun this game to get hyped up for. I can't wait for Friday night ;)

Gobbla2001
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Everyone I have talked to here in Cuero knows Edna is a good football team.

I see Tyler having a 200+ passing game. He'll lead this team to victory.

1. Oh, they're damn good...

2. You're crazy... Jackson is stealing more and more yards from Arndt each week... can't pass the ball when you're kicking off...

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
11-02-2009, 09:02 PM
why has edna only played 8 games? was that something with the swine flu i vaguely remember?

Gobbla2001
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
why has edna only played 8 games? was that something with the swine flu i vaguely remember?

well, that's what they say it was... knowin' them Edna folk, someone's cows may have gotten out and they needed a little manpower...

Gobbler Fan
11-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

If he was refering to Sinton then it would be easier to answer that question ...4 shutouts in a row blah blah blah ect. ect. ;)

Should be a good game but I think Cuero is too much for the Cowboy's at home .

Gobblers by 21

IHStangFan
11-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Whoa.. that's a big statement! exactly what I was thinking....because coaching has played absolutely no part in the success Cuero has had over the past several years. ;)

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
11-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
well, that's what they say it was... knowin' them Edna folk, someone's cows may have gotten out and they needed a little manpower...

haha :eek: :D

Mean Green Fan
11-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Im very serious:D

Its funny...There is someone I work with who is from Edna and a big Fan.
When someone asked this person about the game friday. This was the response..."Cuero is going to destroy Edna. Edna cant stop Cuero's offense"

Cowboy_Up
11-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Here are my reasons why Cuero will win!

(1) The game is in Cuero....Its a home game and Cuero fans will pack the stadium. History shows Cuero is almost impossible to beat at home.

(2) IHStang said it best..."Up until now Cuero has been on cruise control.....they will mash the gas pedal against Edna and remind everyone they are the big cheese in D28."

(3) This game is a tune-up for the playoffs for both teams. Look for Cuero to open the play book more and play the starters more.

(4) Cuero has faced teams that are big and physical and won.
La Vernia,Devine,Yoakum and all these teams will most likely make the playoffs.

(5) The common test was Yoakumwith Cuero having to play Yoakum at home where all season long they have played their best.

(6) Edna could not stop Refugio's offense or running game.I dont see them stopping Cuero's balanced attack.

(7) Cuero's defense when they need too can step up and stop physical teams.Devine,La Vernia,Yoakum.

(8)Cuero's Pre district schedule shows they are battle tested and they can come from behind and win the big games.

(9) I think its Edna's QB who will do a lot of running on friday or be on his back.

Go Mean Green:cheerl: :cheerl:

1. Agree, Cuero is very hard to beat anywhere and even tougher at home.

2. Cruise control? If your going to beat us so easily and we are such a poor team, why shift gears now? Is that what good teams do, play good whenever they need to? It must be great to have a team that can turn it on and off at will. Why didn't Cuero turn it on last year vs. La Vega or the year before vs. China Spring?

3. That is interesting. I was actually thinking they may do the opposite. Both teaams are assured of their playoff spots regardless of outcome. Interesting that you'd open up in a game that has no bearing on the playoffs.

4. La vernia has no passing game, and Yoakum's is not great. Edna can run or throw and is big, fast, and skilled. If you can be objective after you see us play, I'd be very interested to see how you compare us to the teams you mentioned.

5. We beat Yoakum...never trailing in the 2nd half and most of the time ahead by 2 scores until they scored with 1 minute left. Your not alone, we beat Yoakum and yet remain behind them in many polls.

6. Refugio scored 23 points on Edna. If you want the real story of the game talk to your coaches that were there scouting.

7. We're better than the teams you listed and more balanced...again you tell me after we play.

8. Which wins are you so proud on from pre-district. Bay city? Beeville? Devine? La Vernis who just lost to Sam Houston? Your normal pre-district games are very tough but this year you ran into teams that are having off years, with the exception of La Vernia. Its not as tough a schedule as you all keep touting.

9. If you put Kam Jones on his back it'll be the first time I've seen it in 4 years.

No one here is going to pick Edna, but we're coming anyhow.

IHStangFan
11-02-2009, 11:08 PM

2. Cruise control? If your going to beat us so easily and we are such a poor team, why shift gears now? Is that what good teams do, play good whenever they need to? It must be great to have a team that can turn it on and off at will. Why didn't Cuero turn it on last year vs. La Vega or the year before vs. China Spring?

3. That is interesting. I was actually thinking they may do the opposite. Both teaams are assured of their playoff spots regardless of outcome. Interesting that you'd open up in a game that has no bearing on the playoffs.

4. La vernia has no passing game, and Yoakum's is not great. Edna can run or throw and is big, fast, and skilled. If you can be objective after you see us play, I'd be very interested to see how you compare us to the teams you mentioned.

5. We beat Yoakum...never trailing in the 2nd half and most of the time ahead by 2 scores until they scored with 1 minute left. Your not alone, we beat Yoakum and yet remain behind them in many polls.

6. Refugio scored 23 points on Edna. If you want the real story of the game talk to your coaches that were there scouting.

7. We're better than the teams you listed and more balanced...again you tell me after we play.

8. Which wins are you so proud on from pre-district. Bay city? Beeville? Devine? La Vernis who just lost to Sam Houston? Your normal pre-district games are very tough but this year you ran into teams that are having off years, with the exception of La Vernia. Its not as tough a schedule as you all keep touting.

9. If you put Kam Jones on his back it'll be the first time I've seen it in 4 years.

No one here is going to pick Edna, but we're coming anyhow. We all see your points, we all understand your dedication to your town/team.....but Cuero's performance over the last several years and current unbeaten steak in district is hard to argue with. So of COURSE they are the favorite.

Yeah...Cuero got beat in the playoffs by a very good team......Cuero was young...and still are at certain positions....but since you wanna throw playoffs out there....how did Edna do in the playoffs last year......oh....wait......

You realize the more you talk......the more crow you're gonna have to eat if Edna DOES get beat like everyone thinks they will. Nobody is disrespecting Edna, nobody that I saw said they were a "poor team".....and I'm sure they'll be fine this year in the playoffs.....but go into Cuero and beat Cuero.....well...it's unlikely.

Good luck and if Edna DOES win, you will earn the respect of many.

Mean Green Fan
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
I would say Cuero's pre district schedule was not shabby.
Was it toughest in the state....NO
Lets look at Edna's pre district schedule. Mostly 2A teams.

Now you tell me your schedule was tougher.....I think NOT

And you think you can hang with a good team like La Vernia,Giddings or La Grange:rolleyes:

I want some of what your smokin
:smoker: :D

Gobbla2001
11-03-2009, 08:06 AM

No one here is going to pick Edna, but we're coming anyhow.

ha, we're gunna reply in 9s...

1. K thanks

2. To answer the first part of number two, sometimes you play down to your competition, it happens...

2. Second part of your question: When... 'cuse me, IF you get THAT deep into the playoffs, then you can come on here and poke fun about how a team got beat... Would be like be poking fun at Edna because Lake Texana was way down this summer... atleast they've got a recreational lake... Cuero probably did have it turned on btw... that is by far the funniest part of the "my team vs. your team" arguments, people who haven't gone anywhere making fun of teams that go somewhere and get beat... lame

3. Hmmm... dunno what to say about your number 3... this is for the district championship, this is for bragging rights... Edna didn't come this far to not open up the book just a tad... I'd be might disapointed if they did... I think what MGF meant (and actually what he said) was open it up "more", not all of the way... meaning don't just run Jackson for 300 yards, don't just let Tyler do what Tyler does and throw a TD when the chance is there, I think he means go out there, whup some butt and have some fun if you can...

4. that's for after the game

5. Yoakum game doesn't really mean a thing...

6. I agree 23 really isn't that many points these days...

7. Are you sure of that? Positive? You seem to have seen everyone Cuero has played... wondering how you've seen Edna so much... I can't say Edna isn't better, matter of fact it's my opinion they probably are... but I can't say for sure...

8. Haha... Edna, don't come here talking to Cuero about pre-district schedules... Refugio's a damn fine team, RCon would have been as well but you guys didn't get to play that one, right? we played nothing but 3a playoff teams and one 4A playoff team... then BC...

9. See, you realllly don't see many Edna games, too busy scouting Cuero, because I know for a fact Kam Jones has gone on his back atleast once the past 4 years...

Edna's a damn fine team, folks, Cuero's gunna have to stop their heads from crawling back up their asses to win this game...

JT44
11-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Edna is good, some good standouts at skill positions with Kam leading the way.

This reminds me of two years ago when Gonzales had a good run and gave Cuero a tough district matchup. Close game, but Cuero put it away in the second half.

It will be an explosive offensive game unless Cuero puts on the run game and wears out Edna. I know Cuero goes both ways alot more than most 3a teams, but I imagine that Edna has even more players going both ways, just a guess.

Cowboy_Up
11-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Gobbla,
What's lame is the "now we're going to step on the gas" type of thinking. Do you really think the kids from Cuero haven't been playing hard? Do you really think they wanted to get behind by 20 to Yoakum to make it interesting? I understand that sometimes young men lack focus, I get that. But the idea that now you turn it on now you don't is absurd. I was making fun of that logic, not your team. If you go back and read my stuff you'll see glowing complements for your kids. I like the way Cuero plays the game. I hate the way Cuero fans diss other teams with the "oh we didn't really care because we're so good we don't have too, but we can play hard when we want too" attitude. It's BS because you don't rack up a record like Cuero's without caring and preparing for everyone. You might not get hyped, but your ready and it's an insult to everyone you play, and your kids and coaches, IMO, to say, OK, now we'll play hard. I've seen Tyler Arndt play 5 games in the last three years and he sure looked like he was playing hard everytime. I watched your LB Jake Rangnow play Edna last year, and even though it was a blow out, he sure looked like he was playing hard. This now we'll step on the gas stuff is crap.
BTW, Edna played a cup cake pre-distrcit schedule outside of Refugio, I never said different. MGF said you guys played a tough pre-drictrict and I'm saying, and sticking with, you caught some teams on a down cycle. Not your fault, just a fact.

JT, Edna starts 22 kids.

JT44
11-03-2009, 10:46 AM

JT, Edna starts 22 kids.

How many go both ways? Doesn't Kam play safety and Clay play DB? I thought #10 played both ways also?

Booter11
11-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Edna by 7!

Ruserious
11-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Im very serious:D

Its funny...There is someone I work with who is from Edna and a big Fan.
When someone asked this person about the game friday. This was the response..."Cuero is going to destroy Edna. Edna cant stop Cuero's offense" And are you serious with this post as well? Here is what i'm wondering since ya'll are so full of answers :
1.Can Tyler Arndt scramble well? If you don't know the answer you will by 7 ;45 PM Friday night!
2.Can your running backs take gang tackling all night? We will see! Good luck Gobblers and Gobbler fans, and MGF I think your Edna buddy set you up!

OldBison75
11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Cuero is very tough to beat anywhere, but at home is nearly, I said NEARLY, unbeatable. Edna has proven that they are one of the better teams in the whole region this year and these kids have all the motivation in the world to prove they belong with the big boys. This game is gonna come down to who can impose thier game plan on the other. If the big O-line from Edna can keep the power running game moving, it will really hamper the Cuero scoring opportunities. It seems that Cuero has had periods of games where the offense was not in a good rhythm and if Edna can control the ball and clock, Cuero might have some trouble. I suspect that Cuero will come out this week with the playbook wide open and try everything, running game+passing game+trick plays+etc. I don't think this will be the high scoring game some predict. I pick Cuero at home, and mainly because it is at home. My score prediction is 24-21.

Ruserious
11-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I think you are right on target Bison.This game will test each teams finishing ability, I like your score prediction too except I think it will be Edna 24 Cuero 21 !

XtremeCouture
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
last year the score was 54-14. how has edna changed so much this year that people think they will win?

Ruserious
11-03-2009, 12:51 PM
That is easy, 2 different years 2 different teams, JMO, but any of our opponents can testify to the fact that we are playing better this year than last year.

tlc84
11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
last year the score was 54-14. how has edna changed so much this year that people think they will win? This logic is crazy just look at the Refugio score from last year to this year. Teams change from year to year and sometimes a few bad apples can run the whole bunch.

Gobbla2001
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Gobbla,
What's lame is the "now we're going to step on the gas" type of thinking. Do you really think the kids from Cuero haven't been playing hard? Do you really think they wanted to get behind by 20 to Yoakum to make it interesting?

They've played hard, maybe not for 4 qts though... there's a reason people call games "trap" games... Yoakum was a "trap" game... I'm sorry you don't see it that way but I've been in that game... after blowing them out every game since you've been in HS and beyond it's easy for you to fall alseep against them and not respect them... sure, you play hard but you take them lightly and have to start playing even harder...

Did Yoakum not play hard/execute in that second half/4th qt mainly? or Did Cuero execute better play harder in that second half/4th qt? I'll bet you it was the last part...

It's just how the game goes... when you run one speed of mediocre- for so many years maybe you forget/never knew what it's like to be a top team and get a big head... but trust me, they had a big head in Yoakum... they usually do turn it up this time of the year after falling to sleep in a weak district, though...

Anyway, they can't have a big-head Friday, aint no way...

12thMan
11-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ruserious
And are you serious with this post as well? Here is what i'm wondering since ya'll are so full of answers :
1.Can Tyler Arndt scramble well? If you don't know the answer you will by 7 ;45 PM Friday night!
2.Can your running backs take gang tackling all night? We will see! Good luck Gobblers and Gobbler fans, and MGF I think your Edna buddy set you up!

1. Just ask Sealy if Tyler can scramble. He's very fast. Throws well on the run also. You might be able to get to him, stoping him is another.

2. Have you seen Trent play? I think the question is can your defense catch our rb's?

44INAROW
11-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Mercy - what are we doing to discusss - Weds, Thursday and Friday? :D Going to be a long week

12thMan
11-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Mercy - what are we doing to discusss - Weds, Thursday and Friday? :D Going to be a long week

Maybe our defenses? That's the x factor for us I think. Our offense will be fine. Can our defense make the stops they need to win.

My guess of course is yes. Edna will be introduced to Tanner H. early and often. Hope their rb's and qb are ready.

dude
11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
last year the score was 54-14. how has edna changed so much this year that people think they will win?

Mean Green Fan
11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I never said Cuero had A tough schedule compared some 3A teams.Compared to Edna...YES.

I also think Cuero was sleeping against Yoakum.And they woke up in the second half.

Cuero will turn it up a notch before the playoffs and they won't take Edna lightly.

I also think Cuero's defense will be a big factor.

I read in the Advocate online that caller from Edna said to all the Cuero fans..."Edna is coming"....Cuero is ready...Bring it:D

44INAROW
11-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by dude

dang, wish I knew what he posted - must have been juicy if he deleted it :D

Gobbla2001
11-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Protect that house, boys! protect that house!
Edna's not screwing around, they mean to take the streak down...

gobbler grad
11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
too much riding on this one...the Gobblers will be ready...:D

The Kracken
11-03-2009, 09:47 PM
figure that this one is going to be more like a track meet as opposed to a football game--not sure that Edna can stick around in this one come the end of the game, but i could be wrong should make for an entertaining game

can only hope that both teams come out of this one injury free and are ready for long playoff runs

gordo
11-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Cuero is over rated they beat up on them slow valley teams, big deal! When they see some speed like Sealy they will be so overmatched. Cowboys 35 Turkeys 14

12thMan
11-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Cuero is over rated they beat up on them slow valley teams, big deal! When they see some speed like Sealy they will be so overmatched. Cowboys 35 Turkeys 14

We'll talk about Sealy when the time comes. I thought we were playing Edna Friday. How can you call us over rated when we have kicked your tails the last few times we have played? Not to mention the butt kickin last year. Show me on the field!!!

Gobbler Fan
11-04-2009, 08:57 AM

And this has what to do with the Cuero - Edna game ?

Sealy got toasted the last time they stepped on the field with this slow Cuero team .

Cuero- Edna should be a good game .....on paper . I just don't think Edna comes to Cuero and win's . Gobbler Stadium is going to be standing room only and loud. The football team feeds off that so make some noise Gobbler fans let Edna know who and where they're playing .

Ill stick to my prediction Cuero by 21+

gordo
11-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Ya'll are looking through rose colored glasses. They don't play real football south of San Anton!

rojosgirl
11-04-2009, 10:09 AM
This is just TOO much! San Anton? Where the hell are you from? Who says that anyway? Some damn yankee? And OMG -- the dreaded "Cuero is overrated" statement. Just give it a rest! If you're gonna diss my team, at least come up with something more original. Come to Cuero to see a great game on Friday. Or do you travel south of San Anton?

GO -MEAN-GREEN!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

12thMan
11-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Ya'll are looking through rose colored glasses. They don't play real football south of San Anton!

I do believe Sealy is north of SA and we spanked you.

Who are some standouts from Edna on defense. All I hear about is the QB and RB.

gordo
11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I would rather mow my neighbors lawn than watch south Texas football!

Ruserious
11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I would rather mow my neighbors lawn than watch south Texas football! Gordo, go back to where you came from, a little friendly football banter is one thing, but these kinds of posts are another.

gordo
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Ruserious
Gordo, go back to where you came from, a little friendly football banter is one thing, but these kinds of posts are another.

Did ya get them feelings hurt?

Gobbler-Buck
11-04-2009, 11:45 AM

gordo, this is a football chat site not a place where small minds have nothing constructive to say.

tlc84
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Edna's defense is led by LB's Barton and Morrow but the one thing I will say is that Edna has not faced the kind of QB and RB they will be facing on Friday. Edna's defense has been a bend but not break kind of defense and they will need to continue this kind of play in order to hold Cuero down.

Gobbler Fan
11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
The guy I work with from Edna say's their defense is pretty solid also says that their Pass defense is the weak point ...one thing to watch is that their QB plays both ways . Not sure if thats a good thing . I expect Edna to try and establish their dominance on the line with their size , but La Vernia was just as big and Cuero wore them out the second half with their quickness . The Yates kid at RB is pretty good but he is not as big as the Heights kid from Yoakum . Make em pass , contain the QB and its lights out for Edna .

Hey Gordo you come back when it's time to eat crow ....medium rare is the way to go *from what I hear*:nerd:

12thMan
11-04-2009, 12:04 PM
The size of Edna up front is why I'm saying Tyler will go 200-250 yds. passing. Not saying we can't run on them, but Tyler being the senior leader, he will lead them to another district title. I say Edna could possibly hold Trent to 125yds. or so rushing. If Trent goes for 200+, it's over.

gordo
11-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
The guy I work with from Edna say's their defense is pretty solid also says that their Pass defense is the weak point ...one thing to watch is that their QB plays both ways . Not sure if thats a good thing . I expect Edna to try and establish their dominance on the line with their size , but La Vernia was just as big and Cuero wore them out the second half with their quickness . The Yates kid at RB is pretty good but he is not as big as the Heights kid from Yoakum . Make em pass , contain the QB and its lights out for Edna .

Hey Gordo you come back when it's time to eat crow ....medium rare is the way to go *from what I hear*:nerd:

Is Crow better than Turkey?

tlc84
11-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan

Hey Gordo you come back when it's time to eat crow ....medium rare is the way to go *from what I hear*:nerd: I would tend to agree with the pass defense but the Edna QB has not gone both ways in a while and do not expect him to Friday unless it becomes necessary. Yates is not as big as Heights but he also more agile than him and hits the hole quick and from what I can tell has great vision. Edna will have to be able to run and pass effectively to beat Cuero without a doubt.

Ruserious
11-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Did ya get them feelings hurt? feelings? R u serious?!

Gobbla2001
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Ya'll are looking through rose colored glasses.

John Connally said he wants his royalties...

Gobbla2001
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Is Crow better than Turkey?

Turkey...

haha... it isn't even thanksgiving yet and you're bringing out the "haha, your mascot is a turkey so I'm going to say something silly about eating turkey or the taste of turkey" "slam"... lame...

What's next? "omg you owe me a new keyboard I just spit water all over mine" after a post makes you laugh?

the anti-original Gordo, everyone.....

Cowboy_Up
11-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Gordo is just having fun, he doesn't have much to do this week.

rojosgirl
11-04-2009, 03:29 PM
OMG! Now the turkey jokes! This lame stuff is SO bad. That, mixed with the "Cuero is overrated" comments are enough to drive true Gobbler fans to the brink. Maybe one day someone will come up with some original material. One can only hope . . . . .

GO-MEAN-GREEN!

headhunter
11-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Gobblers hosting the Cowboys for the District Title!
That has a nice sound, it has been a while since there has been a week 10 game to decide the outright district title. I have read the thread and heard all the opinions about friday night. I will go ahead and make my pregame contributuin to the thread.

The Cuero Gobblers are in a position to go 10-0 in the regular season for the first time since 2006. Many people, including myself, figured this young Gobbler team would probably have a loss or two during this season. I have been impressed with many things this year. I also have seen many things that really concern me when the Gobblers match up against a quality team of equal talent.

The Edna Cowboys have played well all year and have really made themselves a team to lookout for come playoff time. They have a lot of confidence right now and have their teammates, classmates, and all the community behind them. Edna has a strong nucleus of good players and are playing very well together right now.

The Breakdown:
Home field Advantage: Cuero

Battle Tested: Cuero
Yes, both teams have been in close games, but the edge goes to Cuero in this one. Why? Many people forget that just because the Gobblers played a soft schedule means they have not seen good competition. That is not true, when Goliad, LaVernia, Devine, Bay City, Yoakum and whoever else line up on Friday night, they are going to play one of their best games of the year against the Gobblers.

Offense: Again, advantage Cuero
The Gobblers have two D1 atheletes in the backfield. How good are they? They are as good as the coaching staff lets them. They execute very well and have multiple playmakers. The Cowboys match-up well, they have a good size line and will pound the ball if you let them.

Defense: PUSH
Both defenses are very suspect, not much consistency for either one. I would think Edna has the size advantage but Cuero has the speed advantage. When you run between the tackles everyone is the same speed. That is why Yoakum was able to pound th ball on Cuero. When Cuero chose to run outside they made good yardage.

Special Teams: Edna
Giving Edna the advantage is not saying much, Cuero is horrible on special teams. This is a huge dissapointment in my opinion, why a team like Cuero does not take more pride in having more consistency in kicking field goals/extra points and why we never try to block punts when we hardly ever get a chance for a return. I do not know how good Edna's Special teams are but if it came down to a field goal, I wouldn't bet on the Gobblers.

Does Edna have a chance? Yes! Actually they have a better chance of beating the Gobblers this year then any I can remeber. On paper, Cuero is the better team, but we a dealing with 15-18 year old kids. Things can happen, look at the Cuero/Yoakum game, or the LaVernia/SA Sam Houston Game.

However, I do not think the Gobblers will faulter in this one. They have arguablly the best QB in 3A and that is a huge factor. I still think pass defense is one of the hardest things to coach at the high school level, with that said, IF the Gobblers wanted to, I think they could throw all night. Why Coach Reeve does not like to showcase Tyler's skills is mind boggling to me. It seems the only time Tyler throws more then 20 times a game is when Coach Reeve has to abandon the run, and more times then not Tyler leads the team from behing and to a win. I have said this all year, the Gobblers are not built to run first. They must use the pass to open up the run. It will be no different on Friday night. Throw the ball vertically and allow Tyler to move the pocket. If you want Jackson involved then throw to him in open field, as the game progresses you can start to pound the rock, but you have to run off-tackle, you can't pound the ball over and over b/w the tackles. Edna has to look at the Yoakum game as a blue-print of how to beat the Gobblers. Ball control offense, and no turnovers, they will have to create one or two as well. Edna will need everything to go right in order to win this Friday night, probably even a little luck.

The spread: I would put the game line at Cuero -15

There will be a few stops by both defenses, I have a feeling that Cuero will get stopped early in the game but once they figure out what is working they will take over. I also think Edna will put some points up, especially in the 1st half. I think the Gobblers pull away in the 3rd and it will be kind of like the Sealy game of last year. Edn will fall behind by two or three scores. Edna won't quit, but they just won't be able get back in it.

I hope this is a good hard hitting game. I would like to see some blitzing and some timely screen passes called. I hope all three teams make a good run in this years playoffs. I think Edna and Yoakum have a chance to play 3 or 4 rounds in DII. THe Gobblers will go as far as their defense allows them.

Mean Green Fan
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I agree that Cuero's kicking game really needs work. They lack consistency in their kicking game. Cuero did block a punt last week and score.

If Edna trys to stack the box and shut down the run. I look for Tyler to have a big night throwing the ball.

What impresses me most about this Cuero team is when they really need to they can step it up on defense. That plus the fact this bunch plays as a team and they never give up.

Good luck to both teams friday night.

Gobbler Fan
11-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Those Who Have Gone Before You

(What they have done for you, what you owe them!)

Tonight you find yourself surrounded by those who have gone before you. These gentlemen (or ladies) have defined this program and this winning tradition. Their sacrifices have made it possible for you to be here, for this program to exist.

They played the game with heart, passion, and purpose. They played through pain, through adverse conditions, and when they were over-matched. They played when they were hurt, when they were tired, and when others counted them out. They continued the winning tradition that was handed down from those who went before them.

They are here to support you. They know your sacrifice; they know what you are facing tonight. And, they know that you can succeed. They know, because they succeeded before you! You are walking in the same foot steps that they walked in.

You owe it to them to continue this winning tradition! You owe it to them to protect and enhance this winning tradition! Just like them - you know that you can succeed! And you will! Today, the winning tradition continues!

"Tradition" is an inspiring word. The word tradition comes from the Latin word "traditio" which means "to hand down" or "to hand over." You all know how important traditions are in families and in communities. The traditions that get passed down through the generations are the traditions that everyone enjoys. The traditions that have a place in our hearts and we look forward to them each year. That is the way it is with this program's winning tradition! We enjoy it! We look forward to it! Some of us live for it! Like the saying goes... "Tradition never graduates!" Tradition lives within each and every one of you. You are born into it, you continue it, and when the time comes, you hand it down to the next generation!

-Mike Sellers (pregamespeeches.com)

Go Get em Gobblers !

Congratulations to all the Seniors on their final Home game and to all the Parents on Parents night .

:clap:

buff4ever
11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I say cuero wins this one, by 12 points. there you go.

headhunter
11-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I agree that Cuero's kicking game really needs work. They lack consistency in their kicking game. Cuero did block a punt last week and score.

If Edna trys to stack the box and shut down the run. I look for Tyler to have a big night throwing the ball.

What impresses me most about this Cuero team is when they really need to they can step it up on defense. That plus the fact this bunch plays as a team and they never give up.

Good luck to both teams friday night.

I hope you are right about passing if Edna stacks the box. And we didn't have a punt block on, Gonzales just forgot to block anyone.

I don't want to butt heads with you on your other comment about the Gobblers stepping it up when they really have too but I am going to point out my feeling on that, not just to you but many Gobbler fans have made the comment, "The Gobblers can turn it on when they need too"

My opinion is Yoakum and LaVernia both abandoned the run and that played into our favor. Yes we made some big plays but they helped us out greatly. Should they have stuck with pounding the ball then I think we would have been in trouble.

The one thing that really bothers me is when we do not play hard on some series on defense. It seems that we are just going through the motions. I blame the kids and I really blame the coaches for not making it a point to keep up the intensity. I can understand maybe being a little flat on offense but defense? Come on!! That is the best part of the game, if you fly to the football, play with intensity all night, take pride in not letting ANYONE score then you should not have to worry about stepping it up. Sure some teams are going to score, but as a player you should take that personnally make sure they don't do it repeatedly. My biggest problem is that we sit back and let the game come to us, both as players and coaches. Lets see an attack attitude and a killer insticnt. Bring a blitz, stunt the front line, heck just change it up a little. Lets see some old school hard hitting football and get back to what wins games. DEFENSE!!!
That is what got us to state in 93, 98 and 04.

Good teams can step it up and make big plays when needed, but state championship teams can't take a series off, even when they allow points they have better made the other team earn them. Lets see the intensity on defense on friday night, and lets see some of the Gobbler faithful get load and make Gobbler stadium a hard place for opposing teams to play.

Gobbler Fan
11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Tyler throws for over 200 2tds and Trent runs for over 200 yards 2tds :D ...and we win not hard to figure out :rolleyes:

Play Action Passes to Tanner Hoffman or Trent Jackson if their defense is as aggresive as Ive heard , mix in a few bubble screens . Heck lets try the Halfback pass again

;)

Cowboy_Up
11-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
I hope you are right about passing if Edna stacks the box.

Edna doesn't stack the box, Edna sets up the box in your backfield. This is not a bend, don't break D, this is an, attack, attack, attack defense. Maybe you'll beat it, but its a mistake to underestimate the pressure our D brings.

rhp85
11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
I read where Edna is giving up around 12 points a game but does anyone have the yardage stats from the games or where this stat can be found for all teams. The one site I go to only has points and not rushing and passing yardage. Just curious to start looking at defenses that will be in the playoffs.

gordo
11-05-2009, 08:33 AM
It cracks me up how all the band nerds get so riled up when someone calls them the Turkeys. LOL

Cowboys 28
Poults (turkeys) 14

12thMan
11-05-2009, 08:43 AM
It was good to see Cuero come out against Gonzales and never let up. Cuero is ready for this one. I know the Cowboys are too, but their comming to Gobbler land, tuff to win in our house.

12thMan
11-05-2009, 08:47 AM
It cracks me up how all the band nerds get so riled up when someone calls them the Turkeys. LOL

call us what you want, but this a## kicken chicken will be ready for whoever we play.

Watch out.

gordo
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
call us what you want, but this a## kicken chicken will be ready for whoever we play.

Watch out.

Are you the 12th Man cause you don't get to play? Only 11 play. LOL

12thMan
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Are you the 12th Man cause you don't get to play? Only 11 play. LOL

I support the Gobblers and Lady Gobblers as much as I can. Lots of tradition here in Cuero. I'm way past my prime and had my share of football. Anyway...

I'm ready to talk football and not to loosers who don't have a clue to what their saying. Can't wait till Friday.

Speaking of the Lady Gobblers, everybody come and support them in Gonzales starting at 8:00 pm.

44INAROW
11-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Speaking of the Lady Gobblers, everybody come and support them in Gonzales starting at 8:00 pm.

I have it on good authority that gobblersports.com is going to post updates of the volleyball games as they get them.

bleacherbum
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
44 - If i can figure out how to post from my phone, I will post updates on here.

44INAROW
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by bleacherbum
44 - If i can figure out how to post from my phone, I will post updates on here.
cool beans ;)

CHSVARSITYDAD
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Alright sources tell me in Edna that Yates tore his ACL and fractured his knee cap yesterday. If this is true I would like to offer up prayers for this young man!!! Cowboy_up can you help me on this ,this is a good kid and I would hate for this to be true

Gobbla2001
11-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by CHSVARSITYDAD
Alright sources tell me in Edna that Yates tore his ACL and fractured his knee cap yesterday. If this is true I would like to offer up prayers for this young man!!! Cowboy_up can you help me on this ,this is a good kid and I would hate for this to be true

doubt it

Gobbla2001
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Ha, I seriously doubt that any "band nerds" (much less all of them) got so riled up because someone called them Turkeys...

What I do believe is that these "band nerds" got so riled up because another example of how childish, worn-out, tired and unoriginal some people can be when it comes to the Gobbler mascot popped up...

I guess we should be used to it by now, and we are... we just get our hopes up that people might actually try harder to insult us...

BTW, our band nerd fathers could beat up your band nerd fathers... and superman... and I'm rubber...

Green Bling
11-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Gobbla2001, you crack me up. I say it's time to just ignore gordo.

29-3aFAN
11-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I just heard he broke his knee cap in practice from a pretty good source. Tough blow for Edna.

Gobbla2001
11-05-2009, 06:46 PM
still doubting it...

headhunter
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Yates is out frm my sources. Sad to hear I wanted Edna at full strength so they would not have any excuses when the Gobblers take a big win.

Spread jumps to Cuero - 19

SpursFan
11-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Cuero better be ready to PLAY!!

Just heard from a friend driving through Edna saw signs everywhere

"Preorder your District Championship T-Shirt Here"

Sounds like they are pretty confident!
in Edna!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!

gobbler grad
11-05-2009, 09:02 PM
only Cowboy_Up can confirm this...hope this is false info...:thinking:

44INAROW
11-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
only Cowboy_Up can confirm this...hope this is false info...:thinking:

I agree Gobbler Grad - I hate to see any player hurt and especially a season ending injury.. I hope the talk is all just "talk"
I have heard from more than one person that the Cowboy fans are pumped up bigtime (as they should be) the town is decorated in blue everywhere and there will be lots of spirit signs along Hwy 59 onto 87 all the way to Cuero tomorrow.. Should be a packed house with lots of electricity in the air.

Go Mean Green :clap:

Cowboy_Up
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
We're down one Cowboy.
The rest are still planning on taking care of business on Friday night. After listening to the boys tonight at our pep rally I know they respect the difficulty of the task before them, but there is no fear.
They are ready. May the best team win.

Cowboy_Up
11-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
Yates is out frm my sources. Sad to hear I wanted Edna at full strength so they would not have any excuses when the Gobblers take a big win.

Spread jumps to Cuero - 19

Excuses are for losers and crybabies. We still have a team and they still plan on kicking butt. If our Cowboys don't win, it will not be because we didn't give it our all and you'll hear no excuses or gloating no matter the outcome. Excuses...why you starting that BS?

IHStangFan
11-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Excuses are for losers and crybabies. We still have a team and they still plan on kicking butt. If our Cowboys don't win, it will not be because we didn't give it our all and you'll hear no excuses or gloating no matter the outcome. Excuses...why you starting that BS? Because everyone knows if Cuero wins and Edna didn't have Yates in the game....there's gonna be SOMEONE that'll come out w/ "well if Yates would have played..."

Just saying.

gobbler grad
11-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Edna will still bring a great game... :thinking: Kam and others will adjust tomorrow night...makes them play even harder when someone goes down...:thinking: just my opinion...and excuses can go both ways...:thinking:hope and pray for a great game...and remember, both teams are playing for the championship...we both, will represent D28 well in the playoffs...:clap:

R4Editor
11-05-2009, 11:27 PM
I asked a couple of fans to send me the starting line ups and here is what I received. Please understand, especially any Gobbler or Cowboy fans, these lineups came from fans, not the coaches. We don't know for sure who will start and I have no doubt we've left some others off, so please feel free to follow up with any additional info.
Congrats to both teams on great seasons so far and best of luck Friday and in the playoffs.

Cuero Gobblers
Offense
C-Logan Pickett,Sr#61,
T-Garrett Egg,Sr#54,
T-Randy Sierra,So#77,
G-Nick Gamez,Sr#62,
G-Austin Lind,Sr#63,
TE-Tanner Hoffman,JR#32,
QB-Tyler Arndt,SR#12,
FB-Andrew Thibodeaux,JR#29,
RB-Trent Jackson,SO#27,
WR-Mason Blaschke,JR#10,
WR-Ryan Barrientez,SR#11.

Defense
DL-Tommy Longoria,So#60,
DL-Nick Gamez,SR#62,
DL-Jacob Cuellar,SR#74,
DL-Logan Pickett,SR#61,
DE-Adam Hengst,SR#16,
LB-Tanner Hoffman,JR#32,
LB-Jonathan Banda,SR#25,
DE-Andrew Thibodeaux,JR#29,
DB-Mason Blaschke,JR#10,
DB-Ryan Barrientez,SR#11,
DB-Monte Green,JR#3

Edna Cowboys
Defense
DL- Marcos Ramirez, Sr #44
DL- Doug Melton, Jr #66
DL- Cody Hart, Jr #65
DL- Don Dre Robinson, Jr#82
LB- Dennis Barton, Sr, #33
LB- Nick Morrow, Jr #34
LB- Jeremy Jarratt, Jr. #12
DB- Kam Ray Runnels, Jr. #10
DB- Weston Shoemate, Sr. #5
DB- Ross Orsak, Sr. #4
DB- Kameron Craft, Sr. #2

Offense
L t- Mac Long, So. #75
LG- Cody Pemberton, Jr #54
C- Ryan Mahaffey, Jr #55
RG- Phil Palacios, Jr #67
RT- Han New, Sr #78
TE- Trey Young, So #88
QB- Kam Jones, Sr. #7
FB- Matthew Brzozowski, Jr. #40
RB- Brandon Callis, Jr. #20
WR- Colten Clay, Sr. #21
WR- Deion Barnes, Jr. #3

12thMan
11-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear about the young man. My prayers go out to him. What grade is he in?

SintonFan
11-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Wow. Sorry to hear about the young man. My prayers go out to him. What grade is he in?

Ditto.

chubbedup
11-06-2009, 03:42 AM
wow game of the week? 44, how long have i been gone???

dude
11-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Because everyone knows if Cuero wins and Edna didn't have Yates in the game....there's gonna be SOMEONE that'll come out w/ "well if Yates would have played..."

Just saying.

Of course it makes a difference, That's undeniable fact.

44INAROW
11-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by chubbedup
wow game of the week? 44, how long have i been gone???

TOO LONG!!!! Welcome Back.. :)

12thMan
11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
GAME DAY BABY!! This is going to be the longest day ever. I want to wish all the Cowboys and Cowgirls from Edna safe travel tonight.

rojosgirl
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm ready too! It's been a l-o-n-g week. Safe travels to everyone coming to the game. May this be an injury-free game for all.

GO GOBBLERS! :cheerl: :clap: :cheerl: :clap:

tlc84
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I think if you take a 1000 yard rusher out of anyones lineup there will be people saying "what if". No team can lose this type of back and not feel some kind of affect . I just hope both teams come out of this game tonight injury free and ready for the playoffs. It should be a lot of fun with this kind of atmosphere at the game.

tlc84
11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by SpursFan
Cuero better be ready to PLAY!!

Just heard from a friend driving through Edna saw signs everywhere

"Preorder your District Championship T-Shirt Here"

Sounds like they are pretty confident!
in Edna!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure it says Playoff shirts and not District Championship. I do not think anyone in Edna is overconfident going to Cuero and I think the team understands they will have to play some good ball to beat Cuero or they would not be 20+ underdogs.

tlc84
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Wow. Sorry to hear about the young man. My prayers go out to him. What grade is he in? He is a Junior and he tore is ACL. I was told he would be going in for surgery around the 18th of the month.

Ruserious
11-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Gobbler fans , but don't put too much emphasis on this as we have a couple of other running backs who have been scoring touchdowns and breaking long runs for years. I figure the same thing that happened with Matt Anderson going out at Industrial will happen for us, These Edna Cowboys want a District Championship and they intend to win it as was obvious last night at our pep rally. Good luck to all and Lets Go Cowboys!!!!!

GreenMachine
11-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Very sad for the young man at any time, but especially since Edna is so good this year, in a district championship game, and off to the playoffs. I wish him well with his surgery and recovery.

Gobbla2001
11-06-2009, 01:33 PM
figured it'd be in the paper today on the game notes... the injury and all :thinking:

JT44
11-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Sad to hear this young man won't play tonight. He seems to be a rising talent in the area.
His dad is Irvin Yates that played in Victoria for Reeve, right?

Cuero won a few playoff games last year without Trent.

Ruserious
11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
It's Football Time in Texas, the Greatest game in the Lone Star State!!!:D :D :D

rojosgirl
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Edna Cowboy sightings At Gobbler Stadium in Cuero - - - - -
The Blue & White faithful are taligating in the parking lot.

:thinking: