PDA

View Full Version : Sould Burnet use different sets now or wait?

PAINTBALL
10-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Obviously the coaching staff will have worked on different offensive sets to counter the blitz everyone defense we have seen the last two weeks. Should Burnet show these new sets now if the game is won without showing them or save them for when they are needed. My opinion is to go ahead and show the sets, but only 1 or 2 plays out of each set. What does everyone else believe?

HotDawg89
10-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Pray for the blitz and double coverages as it opens up holes that Levens is willing to run through. I'd like to see them hold the sets and keep them bottled a little longer.

I love the way our coaches think...

vet93
10-28-2003, 10:25 AM
I agree Paintball...use the sets now but in a limited manner. That will give your opponent that much more to prepare for. They already have enough to prepare for with Burnet's personell, now they have to prepare for a sophisticated offense with multiple formations. A tall order.

super88
10-28-2003, 10:30 AM
I would not show any new set's yet. What I would like to see is McGee quit worrying about stats (inteceptions)and start relying on the routes Shipley, Warner and the others are in and let the receiver make the play's for him. I think the line is doing a pretty good job, you can't expect them to hold the defense for longer than 4 or 5 seconds. He needs get his read and go with it, when you have the best reciever in the state let him make plays for you and quit all that scrambling and losing yards. I would like MeGee to throw the ball away more and quit taking sacks and quit worrying about his stats.

shellman54
10-28-2003, 10:35 AM
I would not show the new sets. I would work on the plays they run regularly now, work on perfecting them, especially against blitzes and different defensive fronts. Wait until the playoffs to bring out the new sets, it will confuse the defense more, then you can go back to your regular plays, and they will be more effective.

BIG19
10-28-2003, 10:59 AM
I would rather keep the new sets out of the offense for now. There is no reason to bring them out, yet. Possibly during the Liberty Hill game, but not in any hurry there either. Keep doing what got you here and believe in yourselves. That is what I feel is needed.

PAINTBALL
10-28-2003, 11:10 AM
We showed one new set with Shipley at tailback and Levens split right last week and only ran the pitch to Shipley play out of that set. I think it went for about 20 yards. It was funny when Shipley appeared out of the blue at tailback. The two guys who were supposed to double him stayed on the left side leaving the sweep open. I would at least like to see them run one of the pass plays that goes with that set and see if they would continue to double Warner when he ran a deep route.

Commerce Fan
10-28-2003, 11:20 AM
PAINTBALL:
Obviously the coaching staff will have worked on different offensive sets to counter the blitz everyone defense we have seen the last two weeks. Should Burnet show these new sets now if the game is won without showing them or save them for when they are needed. My opinion is to go ahead and show the sets, but only 1 or 2 plays out of each set. What does everyone else believe?I think they should get them in now cause they probably want get to use them later ( You want last that long)!!!!

PAINTBALL
10-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Commerce Fan:

PAINTBALL:
Obviously the coaching staff will have worked on different offensive sets to counter the blitz everyone defense we have seen the last two weeks. Should Burnet show these new sets now if the game is won without showing them or save them for when they are needed. My opinion is to go ahead and show the sets, but only 1 or 2 plays out of each set. What does everyone else believe?I think they should get them in now cause they probably want get to use them later ( You want last that long)!!!!O.K. English teachers on here. Isn't won't the correct contraction for will not. I know want isn't correct.

Burnet will use the new sets when they are needed. I'm sure of that. The question is should they use them if they are not needed. Your response seems to miss the entire question of this post.

HotDawg89
10-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Commerce Fan:

PAINTBALL:
Obviously the coaching staff will have worked on different offensive sets to counter the blitz everyone defense we have seen the last two weeks. Should Burnet show these new sets now if the game is won without showing them or save them for when they are needed. My opinion is to go ahead and show the sets, but only 1 or 2 plays out of each set. What does everyone else believe?I think they should get them in now cause they probably want get to use them later ( You want last that long)!!!!Is Burnet likely to play Commerce or is this just another poster for Gobbla and Jason to bring into their fold?

PAINTBALL
10-28-2003, 02:22 PM
PAINTBALL:
We showed one new set with Shipley at tailback and Levens split right last week and only ran the pitch to Shipley play out of that set. I think it went for about 20 yards. It was funny when Shipley appeared out of the blue at tailback. The two guys who were supposed to double him stayed on the left side leaving the sweep open. I would at least like to see them run one of the pass plays that goes with that set and see if they would continue to double Warner when he ran a deep route.I'm replying to my own post, because I wonder who would be responsibe to cover Shipley on the flair or the 15 yard route that has been so successful for Levens when he is at tailback.

Ozzy
10-28-2003, 02:45 PM
I think they should go entirely to the wishbone.

Ozzy
10-28-2003, 02:54 PM
last time I checked, Burnet used some 50+ formations to get the looks they wanted. They have also faced some of the craziest defensive schemes ever run against a high school team. Some Burnet fans were overheard daring people to run a "base" defense against their offense. Are they that scary or dangerous? Just wondering if anyone will ever run a normal defense again?

PPHSfan
10-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Poor Ozzy can't get his picture to show up.
http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/UBLPORTRAITS/overrides/ozzy.jpg

PAINTBALL
10-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Ozzy:
last time I checked, Burnet used some 50+ formations to get the looks they wanted. They have also faced some of the craziest defensive schemes ever run against a high school team. Some Burnet fans were overheard daring people to run a "base" defense against their offense. Are they that scary or dangerous? Just wondering if anyone will ever run a normal defense again?The last 2 weeks, the teams have been double teaming two of our receivers, single coverage on the other 2 and blitzing everyone else when we are in the gun with a single tailback. It has slowed our passing attack but opened the run to the tailback. On one play we moved our Div. 1 prospect receiver, Jordan Shipley, to tailback and put the normal tailback in his position and ran the sweep for about 20 yards. I was just saying I would like to see some more plays out of this set.

PAINTBALL
10-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Ozzy:
I think they should go entirely to the wishbone.Actually our old coach did run the wishbone before Shipley got here and all of our Seniors that were here ran it in the 7th-9th grades and are very familiar with it including our quarterback. It would be funny to line up and run it for 1 series. The boys would probably have fun doing it and it would bring back old memories for the fans. I wish they would for ole time sakes.

<small>[ October 28, 2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

bulldogvet85
10-28-2003, 04:51 PM
super88:
I would not show any new set's yet. What I would like to see is McGee quit worrying about stats (inteceptions)and start relying on the routes Shipley, Warner and the others are in and let the receiver make the play's for him. I think the line is doing a pretty good job, you can't expect them to hold the defense for longer than 4 or 5 seconds. He needs get his read and go with it, when you have the best reciever in the state let him make plays for you and quit all that scrambling and losing yards. I would like MeGee to throw the ball away more and quit taking sacks and quit worrying about his stats.I think I have to somewhat agree with you. I would like to see him get rid of it more now i'mnot goingto complain when it's 3rd and 34 and he scrambles and gets a first down :D but instead of sitting there looking and looking find something and get rid of it. so I dont think I would use the sets yet I wanna see what Mcgee can do with what he has first. I think he would do better if he would make a faster read and get rid of the ball. Dont get me wrong I'm a big McGee fan but I think there arethings he could do better. But I say save the sets for now until you really need them and work with what you have

therealbulldogs
10-28-2003, 05:02 PM
I remember playing against Burnet when they ran the wishbone.

Commerce Fan
10-28-2003, 05:19 PM
HotDawg89:

Commerce Fan:

PAINTBALL:
Obviously the coaching staff will have worked on different offensive sets to counter the blitz everyone defense we have seen the last two weeks. Should Burnet show these new sets now if the game is won without showing them or save them for when they are needed. My opinion is to go ahead and show the sets, but only 1 or 2 plays out of each set. What does everyone else believe?I think they should get them in now cause they probably want get to use them later ( You want last that long)!!!!Is Burnet likely to play Commerce or is this just another poster for Gobbla and Jason to bring into their fold?No, It is unlikely that commerce and burnet will ever meet this year because both will be beat before that can happen! I just hope that burnet makes it long enough to get THRASHED by one of those EAST TEXAS TEAMS from region II.

PAINTBALL
10-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Commerce Fan:

HotDawg89:

Commerce Fan:

PAINTBALL:
Obviously the coaching staff will have worked on different offensive sets to counter the blitz everyone defense we have seen the last two weeks. Should Burnet show these new sets now if the game is won without showing them or save them for when they are needed. My opinion is to go ahead and show the sets, but only 1 or 2 plays out of each set. What does everyone else believe?I think they should get them in now cause they probably want get to use them later ( You want last that long)!!!!Is Burnet likely to play Commerce or is this just another poster for Gobbla and Jason to bring into their fold?No, It is unlikely that commerce and burnet will ever meet this year because both will be beat before that can happen! I just hope that burnet makes it long enough to get THRASHED by one of those EAST TEXAS TEAMS from region II.Hey Gobbla and Jason. I have a new pledge for your club.

Gobbla2001
10-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Ha @ PAINTBALL...

I think Burnet needs to keep their other stuff on the 'Low for now... OBVIOUSLY what they're doing now is working, so why try and fix what aint broken?

Personally, I'd try and practice new stuff and diff. sets etc... for about half of your practice, than work on what you're doing for that team that week... But that's just me...