PDA

View Full Version : Is there a conference...

carter08
10-29-2009, 09:12 AM
that isn't weak?

sorry, but if the big 12 has maybe 4 good teams, the sec is top heavy, and the pac, acc, big east, and big 10 are all weak, can someone explain how there is a good college football conference?

themsu97
10-29-2009, 09:23 AM
there are great conferences... Big 12, SEC and Pac 10 are great... but they are top heavy...

Texas could compete and play in any conference as could OU... Florida and Alabama as well as could USC...

but each conference also has it patsies... chs18 said in another thread that Tennessee would play in the big 12 championship... that made me laugh...

OSU would give anyone a run if they played each other year in and year out...
I think that is what some of us miss... some of these teams play every year so they know each other well... that always gives a team a leg up until talent takes over...

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
the big xii isn't a conference of 12 it's a conference of 2............the weaker teams in the SEC are better then the weaker ones in the big xii.........the big xii = to pac 10 and a little better than big 10.

Mojado
10-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
the big xii isn't a conference of 12 it's a conference of 2............the weaker teams in the SEC are better then the weaker ones in the big xii.........the big xii = to pac 10 and a little better than big 10.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :iagree:

themsu97
10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
and the SEC has been a conference of 3... LSU, Florida and now Alabama... so what is the difference?

Pac 10 is a conference of 1 by that arguement...

Big 12 is better than the Pac 10... top to bottom... Big 10 is below the Pac 10...

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
and the SEC has been a conference of 3... LSU, Florida and now Alabama... so what is the difference?

Pac 10 is a conference of 1 by that arguement...

Big 12 is better than the Pac 10... top to bottom... Big 10 is below the Pac 10...

IDK if most of you understand a typical saturday game day or game in SEC..........those schools have true passions for the game and a hate for their opponent.......these are old match ups...unlike most in the big xii.....most of those states in the SEC are loyal to one or two teams which intensifies rivalries. Every week if you re the elite or a bottom feeder in the SEC you show up with a passion and hate for you opponent........the coaching at the bottom schools in SEC is good, the talent is good, the fan support is good...they show up winning season or not.......in the true south football is a religion esp...college football.

Now understand this I do believe we have good football in Texas...esp high school football...but that doesn't always translate to make ALL the schools in the conference good........I do believe this and i will put money on it when the time comes......Texas will win the NC.........their road is too easy.........weak division, weak conference championship opponent...almost two months to prep for a one shot title.

rangerjoe33
10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Yep, the PAC 10 has been that for several years now...every once in a while one of the other PAC 10 teams will do well but year in year out USC is the only threat for a NC.

1. SEC - overall better than the Big 12
2. Big 12 - Take away UT and OU, then take away LSU, ALABAMA, and U of F and the rest of the Big 12 is not nearly as strong as the SEC.
3. Big 10 - Easily better than the PAC 10 or ACC but not nearly as strong as Big 12 and SEC top to bottom.
4. ACC
5. PAC 10

If and when the Aggies and Huskers get their programs going again they will bring the Big 12 back up to the level of the SEC.

The ACC has gotten stronger the last few years even with Miami and Florida St. not being what they were in the early part of the decade as well as the 90's. Va Tech, Boston College, (N Carolina of late) and Ga Tech have helped strengthen that conference to a respectable level.

IMO if you put the ACC against the PAC 10 in a round robin the ACC would come out with more wins that the PAC 10...

Bullaholic
10-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by carter08
that isn't weak?

sorry, but if the big 12 has maybe 4 good teams, the sec is top heavy, and the pac, acc, big east, and big 10 are all weak, can someone explain how there is a good college football conference?

Not trying to oversimplify, but good teams have to beat somebody to have a good record. Everybody just can't win all the time. The only way to accomplish what you seek would be to have a lot of schools drop their football programs.

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rangerjoe33
[B]Yep, the PAC 10 has been that for several years now...every once in a while one of the other PAC 10 teams will do well but year in year out USC is the only threat for a NC.

2. Big 12 - Take away UT and OU, then take away LSU, ALABAMA, and U of F and the rest of the Big 12 is not nearly as strong as the SEC.
3. Big 10 - Easily better than the PAC 10 or ACC but not nearly as strong as Big 12 and SEC top to bottom.
4. ACC
5. PAC 10

If and when the Aggies and Huskers

put the big xii against the acc and i think the acc comes out with more wins.

Daddy D 11
10-29-2009, 11:49 AM
IDK if most of you understand a typical saturday game day or game in SEC..........those schools have true passions for the game and a hate for their opponent.......these are old match ups...unlike most in the big xii.....most of those states in the SEC are loyal to one or two teams which intensifies rivalries. Every week if you re the elite or a bottom feeder in the SEC you show up with a passion and hate for you opponent........the coaching at the bottom schools in SEC is good, the talent is good, the fan support is good...they show up winning season or not.......in the true south football is a religion esp...college football.

Now understand this I do believe we have good football in Texas...esp high school football...but that doesn't always translate to make ALL the schools in the conference good........I do believe this and i will put money on it when the time comes......Texas will win the NC.........their road is too easy.........weak division, weak conference championship opponent...almost two months to prep for a one shot title.

OHHHHHH so since the old schools in the south do not like each other it's a harder conference? Oh, okay I got you. That makes perfect sense.

Daddy D 11
10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
4. ACC
5. PAC 10
[/B]

Dude, the big 10 sucks. Win a game against a non conference opponent, or win a bowl game, or beat a ****** team in your conference by more than 3 and maybe then some real progress will be made.

The PAC 10 has USC and Oregon. Who would both run right through the big 10. Georgia Tech, Miami, and Virginia Tech would all run right through the big 10 too.

Keith7
10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I hate to admit it but the Sun Belt is pretty weak this year.. :(

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Dude, the big 10 sucks. Win a game against a non conference opponent, or win a bowl game, or beat a ****** team in your conference by more than 3 and maybe then some real progress will be made.

The PAC 10 has USC and Oregon. Who would both run right through the big 10. Georgia Tech, Miami, and Virginia Tech would all run right through the big 10 too.

I agree

Daddy D 11
10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
I hate to admit it but the Sun Belt is pretty weak this year.. :(

IDK, they have Troy:D

Old Tiger
10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
In the FCS the Colonial conference is the best in the NCAA

Team/Conference Record/Overall Record

New Hampshire 3-1 6-1
Richmond 5-0 7-0
Villanova 4-1 7-1
William & Mary 3-1 6-1
Delaware 3-2 5-2

Massachusetts 2-2 4-3
Maine 2-2 3-4
Hofstra 2-3 4-4
Northeastern 1-3 1-6
Rhode Island 0-4 1-6
Towson 1-3 2-5
James Madison 0-4 2-5

big daddy russ
10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Two things I'd like to add then I'm out...

1. Too many people nowadays get riled up over UT, Florida, or USC having close games and throw around the word "overrated" far too much. Back in 1995, one of the greatest college teams of all-time struggled to put away 3-8 Washington State. 1998 Florida State struggled with a Clemson squad that, IIRC, went 4-7. 2001 Miami struggled with both Boston College and VaTech. The last team that I can think of who was truly dominant over everyone except the elite was '87 Miami. Their two close games were against top-five Florida State and top-ranked OU. Those games were supposed to be close, and UM didn't struggle against anyone else all season and that 'Canes team goes down as possibly the greatest team of the 80's. Even so, most people think their '86 team with Testaverde was actually a better team.

2. The days of OU, Texas, Nebraska, Notre Dame, USC, 'Bama, and a couple of other elite teams loading up on all the best talent are long gone. To use an analogy, it's kind of like living in a polygamist world. The best-looking guys who have the best jobs have their choice of anyone they want. So they pick their 60 wives, all of whom are smokin' hot. So all the "tens," "nines," and most of the "eights" are now taken. Go down to the next tier, the guys who have the great jobs and make good money, but maybe they're not as good-looking as the kings of the hill. They load up with about 30 each, various "eights," "sevens," and "sixes" with an occassional 9 or 10 in there. The next step down are the good-looking guys who don't have the money to support 30 wives, so they marry one or two that they can support. Both of those wives are always better than a 6. Now we get down to the average joe. Maybe good, but not great-looking. Has a middle-class job that can comfortably support one family, but can in no way support two. You know, guys like me who marry "up" and find a girl who can see past the rough (or soft, whichever it may be) exterior to our heart of gold. That doesn't happen in this world. So that 8 that your buddy married is replaced by a 3 in this world.

Yeah, that was college football 30 years ago. Almost every blue- and red-chip prospect went to a major program. Texas would hand out extra scholarships just to make sure A&M, Tech, Houston, etc didn't get those players. So all the eights, nines, and tens were married to those programs, along with a few fives and sixes. All the fours, fives, and sixes were married to the second-tier programs (like A&M), along with a few twos and threes to keep away from the TCUs and SMUs. Which, incidentally, is why programs like SMU were more likely to pay big recruits to play for them. The risk/reward factor wasn't as big back then. But anyways, back to the point, the third- and fourth-tier teams like Vandy, Baylor, etc never snuck up on a first-tier team like Bama. Until now. Parity is here. Bama starts plenty of three-star recruits, just like Mississippi State.

So every conference is a lot more average than it used to be. Sure, conferences like the Pac-10, SEC, Big Ten, ACC, and Big XII South have an advantage of the Big XII North, Big Easts and mid-majors because they still have the fertile recruiting grounds. BUT, that only gives them a slight edge nowadays. Boise State can go to Cali and pluck a four-star player away from USC on the promise of immediate playing time for a nationally-recognized program. Houston can go to... well, they can stay at home and pluck a four-star player away from Texas on the promise of immediate playing time close to home for a solid program. Mississippi State can go to northern Miss and do the same against Bama based on staying in-state, PT, and traditions. Basically, the "smaller" schools are getting some big talent and they circle those dates with the big boys. That all leads to upsets and tight games.

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
OHHHHHH so since the old schools in the south do not like each other it's a harder conference? Oh, okay I got you. That makes perfect sense.

no i feel it is one of the factors that makes for good play in that conference...if i sight other reasons...such as talent and coaching thats a whole another arguement...and feelings will get hurt..I was trying to enlighten some as to why the lower end schools in the SEC play up when they match up against the elite....let see if i can put into an example...baylor doesn't really have a rival...but if you go back into history..there is a dislike for a&m...many times a&m has had the better team and maybe even the better coaching but baylor gives them all they want...right.....rivalry is old ...i think there was even a fight...in the 20's or 30's that is still talked about in college station in which a student was killed...that history and the prox of the two campuses adds to that game...no big deal outside of texas but its' a battle....sort of understand...thats the way most of those games are every week in the SEC....it makes the games interesting......maybe you could relate with LH/Wim....that's a grudge match right...imagine that game played four to five times a year....the intensity.