PDA

View Full Version : Oregon

TheDOCTORdre
10-28-2009, 09:09 PM
They play USC this week. I've heard some analyst say that Oregon is playing the best and most consistent ball in the countryever since the Boise State game(fiasco) Anyways I heard them say that if Oregon wins this week and can run the table, and either one of the top3(Bama, UT, UF) stumbles, then Oregon may very well be in the drivers seat to play in the NC...if that were to happen dont you think that Boise State, given if they finish undefeated should be given a shot over Oregon?

Emerson1
10-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Without a loss there is no way the human voters would put Oregon in before Boise

TheDOCTORdre
10-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Without a loss there is no way the human voters would put Oregon in before Boise

yeah but in the computers Oregons avg rank is 6 while Boise is 8...and if Oregon beats USC, human and computer voters alike will give Oregon a big boost

Emerson1
10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
yeah but in the computers Oregons avg rank is 6 while Boise is 8...and if Oregon beats USC, human and computer voters alike will give Oregon a big boost
It's the other way around. Boise is 5 and Oregon is 8.83

TheDOCTORdre
10-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It's the other way around. Boise is 5 and Oregon is 8.83

really
maybe im confused
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/10273400_37_1.pdf

Emerson1
10-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh I was looking at last week. Either way, I don't see the media putting in Oregon over Boise.

I wouldn't mind it, because it would be a huge blow to the BCS that a team with one loss gets in over the undefeated team it lost to.

LE Dad
10-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I can't wait to see Oregon play and hopefully beat USC. Oregon is not the same team that lost to BS. They have a back (Liberty Eylau Michael James) is gaining appx 150 yds a game and they are playing very solid ball. I really hope they do well. It is not often you get to see a Texas kid play in the Pac 10. LaMichael is a redshirt Freshman and hopefully he can get the job done.

:clap: :clap:

eagles_victory
10-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I can't wait to see Oregon play and hopefully beat USC. Oregon is not the same team that lost to BS. They have a back (Liberty Eylau Michael James) is gaining appx 150 yds a game and they are playing very solid ball. I really hope they do well. It is not often you get to see a Texas kid play in the Pac 10. LaMichael is a redshirt Freshman and hopefully he can get the job done.

:clap: :clap: Hope you have some kind of package like gameplan or something because I would assume that the Texas Oklahoma State game will be on your local ABC instead of Oregon USC and not to sound like a jerk but a lot of Texas kids play ball in the Pac 10.

DDBooger
10-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Hope you have some kind of package like gameplan or something because I would assume that the Texas Oklahoma State game will be on your local ABC instead of Oregon USC and not to sound like a jerk but a lot of Texas kids play ball in the Pac 10. one will be on ABC the other on ESPN 2 I believe is what the commercial said.

PPHSfan
10-28-2009, 11:51 PM
USC will beat Oregon by three touchdowns and Saturday night everyone on here will be talking about how weak the Pac-10 is and how over-rated USC is.

TheDOCTORdre
10-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
USC will beat Oregon by three touchdowns and Saturday night everyone on here will be talking about how weak the Pac-10 is and how over-rated USC is.

even if Oregon wins, lose or draw, the fact still holds the Pac 10 is weak

PPHSfan
10-28-2009, 11:58 PM
even if Oregon wins, lose or draw, the fact still holds the Pac 10 is weak

I rest my case.

IHStangFan
10-29-2009, 12:01 AM
This is the media pumping up Oregon so IN CASE USC can manage a win....it'll make their case to jump them up in the rankings again.

The Pac-10 IS weak. I don't understand the media's love affair w/ USC. It blows my mind.

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Hope you have some kind of package like gameplan or something because I would assume that the Texas Oklahoma State game will be on your local ABC instead of Oregon USC and not to sound like a jerk but a lot of Texas kids play ball in the Pac 10. Pretty sure it is on because it is being advertised fairly heavily here. Yeah I am sure there are a lot more kids out of Texas than I am aware but La Michael is the only one from this area that I am aware. I think it is great that he is getting to start as a Freshman. :D

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 12:20 AM
even if Oregon wins, lose or draw, the fact still holds the Pac 10 is weak Ha, I have just the wedding present for you! History of the Pac 10 volume 1 & 2, with all of the bonus features. lol :thumbsup: :evilgrin:

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
This is the media pumping up Oregon so IN CASE USC can manage a win....it'll make their case to jump them up in the rankings again.

The Pac-10 IS weak. I don't understand the media's love affair w/ USC. It blows my mind.

So is it fair to say that in 2005 Vince Young managed to show the world how over-rated USC was when he found the endzone on the last play of the game?

Wow. Texas sure whooped up on that over-rated team didn't they?

And those teams that Texas has lost to since then sure have been some dominate teams that finished strong.

How did Ohio State finish in 2006?

Oh yeah. How did the Aggies look in 2007?

And Texas Tech just murdered their bowl opponent last year didn't they?

IHStangFan
10-29-2009, 12:31 AM
So is it fair to say that in 2005 Vince Young managed to show the world how over-rated USC was when he found the endzone on the last play of the game?

Wow. Texas sure whooped up on that over-rated team didn't they?

And those teams that Texas has lost to since then sure have been some dominate teams that finished strong.

How did Ohio State finish in 2006?

Oh yeah. How did the Aggies look in 2007?

And Texas Tech just murdered their bowl opponent last year didn't they? Who's talking about 2005? And for the record...I seem to remember ESPN talking for 2 weeks and comparing that USC team to all of the "All-Time" great college teams/programs and saying they'd of beat all of the Miamis, Notre Dames, etc. of yesteryear and literally called them "the best college team of all time".....and bottom line is they were beaten. So....there goes that idea...

But back to the point....we're not talking about Ohio State (who..by the way...I ALSO think is HUGELY over-rated), or the Aggies....we're talking about USC....in 2009.

Hell....I hope the media DOES find some way to put them in the title game.....so they can be exposed like the fore mentioned Ohio State was 2 years in a row by being HUMILIATED by their SEC opponent. I think it'd be funny.

I'm sorry my opinion offends you....but I stand by it. The Pac-10 and USC are over-hyped and over-rated and the media will stop at nothing to push USC up in the rating regardless of how they perform on the field.

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 12:35 AM
I think you missed my point. And I would still like to know if you think that USC's only losses over the last four years are any worse than say.....UT's losses.

IHStangFan
10-29-2009, 12:40 AM
I think you missed my point. And I would still like to know if you think that USC's only losses over the last four years are any worse than say.....UT's losses. I must HAVE missed the point....sorry. And again....I'm talking about 2009. But yeah...I think USC losing to unranked or very low ranked teams are worse than UT's loses. But again....you keep trying to drag up past years and other teams.

I am talking about USC, and how I think that in 2009, with their loss to Washington and their QB "issues" and whatnot.....that they are not National Champ. material....but it seems regardless of losses or quality of opponent....some such as yourself, and the majority of the mainstream sports media....still...for some reason think they belong.......

I DON'T think they belong. That's all I'm saying.

I'm expressing MY OPINION....and that opinion is ....as we know...I think they are over-rated.

Time will tell though.

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Hell....I hope the media DOES find some way to put them in the title game.....so they can be exposed like the fore mentioned Ohio State was 2 years in a row by being HUMILIATED by their SEC opponent. I think it'd be funny.......

Sorry, but I just have to throw this one out there.

USC under Pete Carroll is undefeated against the SEC. The scores of their recent games are listed below. It's also worth noting that their last game (a 50-14 win over Arkansas in Fayetteville) was against the team that went on to win their division in the SEC that year.

2002: #22 Auburn @ USC: USC 24, Auburn 17

2003: USC @ #5 Auburn: USC 23, Auburn 0

2005: Arkansas @ USC: USC 70, Arkansas 17

2006: USC @ Arkansas: USC 50, Arkansas 14

IHStangFan
10-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Sorry, but I just have to throw this one out there.

USC under Pete Carroll is undefeated against the SEC. The scores of their recent games are listed below. It's also worth noting that their last game (a 50-14 win over Arkansas in Fayetteville) was against the team that went on to win their division in the SEC that year.

2002: #22 Auburn @ USC: USC 24, Auburn 17

2003: USC @ #5 Auburn: USC 23, Auburn 0

2005: Arkansas @ USC: USC 70, Arkansas 17

2006: USC @ Arkansas: USC 50, Arkansas 14 Auburn and Arkansas.....1 top 10 among them? Okay. Arkansas hasn't been relevant on the national scene in years. LOL. Again....this is 2009. But...I'm not gonna argue w/ you. I hope USC DOES make the title game. It'll be entertaining....that's for sure. :clap:

Cowboy_Up
10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
I must HAVE missed the point....sorry. And again....I'm talking about 2009. But yeah...I think USC losing to unranked or very low ranked teams are worse than UT's loses. But again....you keep trying to drag up past years and other teams.

I am talking about USC, and how I think that in 2009, with their loss to Washington and their QB "issues" and whatnot.....that they are not National Champ. material....but it seems regardless of losses or quality of opponent....some such as yourself, and the majority of the mainstream sports media....still...for some reason think they belong.......

I DON'T think they belong. That's all I'm saying.

I'm expressing MY OPINION....and that opinion is ....as we know...I think they are over-rated.

Time will tell though.

The pac-10 and USC will never get any respect in TX, but food for thought for all you Pac-10 and USC haters.
Carroll took over in '01 and went 2-5 in his first 7 games, since then he is 85-10.
Against top-25 ranked teams, SC is 32-7.
Since '02 their bowl record is 6-1, only loss by to a great TX team.
All the other bowl games were basically blow out victories with Michigan in '03 coming the closest and only losing by 14. Anyone remember what they did to OK? Yes, SC has stumbled against Pac-10 teams like Or St. or WA, but does anyone really want to play them when Carrol has time to prepare? The record speaks for itself.
I don't think they are as good this year as years past, but I have no doubt that in the 1st week of Janurary they could beat any team in America.

As far as the comment someone made about TX kids playing in the Pac -10, your kidding right? Just check the roster of Top-25 ranked Arizona for instance...isn't their QB from TX, and their RB, and about 25 more of the players on their roster. Stoops knows where to look for players.

Aesculus gilmus
10-29-2009, 08:04 AM
USC is Hollywood's team. The stars regularly hang out at practices.

You'd see the same saturation coverage phenomenon in NYC if there was a school there which could actually field a decent football team.

Cowboy_Up
10-29-2009, 08:12 AM
And it's not just that SC is Hollywood's team, they are LA's team and that is a huge viewing audience with no NFL team. ESPN and all the other networks know the ratings they can get if they hype SC. Everyone always takes it out on SC, but really like most things you just need to follow the money to realize why they get so much press.

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
As far as the comment someone made about TX kids playing in the Pac -10, your kidding right? Just check the roster of Top-25 ranked Arizona for instance...isn't their QB from TX, and their RB, and about 25 more of the players on their roster. Stoops knows where to look for players. Try reading the whole thread next time :eek: It would really :doh:really :doh: help expand your mind. I understand it doesn't have pictures but give it a little time.

I put a few emotionicons just to keep your attention :clap: :clap:

Cowboy_Up
10-29-2009, 09:33 AM
LE, no problem, I comprehended what you wrote just fine, I think, but you are a clever guy, so I’ll try harder next time.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
First of all no has gotten on here and has any one said that those teams of the past of USC have been overrated on this thread because if they did I must of missed it...regardless of that the PAC 10 is weak, I've heard several of their coaches agree to the fact that it should be USC and the other 9 confrences. Is USC overrated this year I dont think so I think they are right where they belong(5-7 spot) But to pt them in the NC or ranked in the Top 3 would over rate them...USC is a Top ten program but I dont even think they could hang with TCU this year(this year) so lets not bring up the 2005 squad or any of those past teams. Nonetheless this thread was about Oregon and somehow we are on this rabbit trail now

big daddy russ
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
...USC is a Top ten program but I dont even think they could hang with TCU this year(this year) so lets not bring up the 2005 squad or any of those past teams. Nonetheless this thread was about Oregon and somehow we are on this rabbit trail now
I beg to differ. USC could hang with anyone this year. Including Texas, Bama, and UF.

And Oregon's interesting to me. I buy 'em at #10, but not at #9. As of now I'm chalking up the Cal win as the Bears' yearly Pac-10 hiccup. The Utah win was nice, but nothing great. The UCLA game was tough, but the Bruins play everyone tough. If the teams are better, the teams are worse, they're about the same, everyone gets a tough game when Neuheisel's on the other sideline.

I guess we'll see where Oregon ranks this weekend because the only two Pac-10 teams I feel I have a grasp on are USC and Wazzu.

rangerjoe33
10-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I beg to differ. USC could hang with anyone this year. Including Texas, Bama, and UF.

Except Washington...

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
I just want to clarify that I am not basing my opinion of USC on the loss to Washington, I tend to think they are overrated this year based on how they preformed against tOSU.

big daddy russ
10-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
Except Washington...
No, they hung with Washington, too.

rangerjoe33
10-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
No, they hung with Washington, too.

Yes, I know...was just being antagonistic...gotta feed the thread.

PhiI C
10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Auburn and Arkansas.....1 top 10 among them? Okay. Arkansas hasn't been relevant on the national scene in years. LOL. Again....this is 2009. But...I'm not gonna argue w/ you. I hope USC DOES make the title game. It'll be entertaining....that's for sure. :clap:

IHS you have to remember that Arkansas had some top ranked teams in the 1960s and played Texas some close games and who can forget that big shootout of 1969. And we have to remember that Arkansas was 11 - 0 in 1964 and really should have won the National Championship since UT beat Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

And just a few years ago Auburn was perfect but was snubbed by the system for the MNC game.

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I just want to clarify that I am not basing my opinion of USC on the loss to Washington, I tend to think they are overrated this year based on how they preformed against tOSU.

Oh, I guess you are referring to that piss poor performance where they traveled to the Horseshoe with their 18 year old quarterback and won the game.

:doh: I must be an idiot to think that showed some kind of talent.

And I also must be crazy to think that the loss to Washington might have had something to do with the fact that they didn't have their starting QB and that Washington's head coach knows USC's offense better than anyone on the planet.

Or are you not aware that Steve Sarkisian was USC's coordinator for the past few years?

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Oh, I guess you are referring to that piss poor performance where they traveled to the Horseshoe with their 18 year old quarterback and won the game.

:doh: I must be an idiot to think that showed some kind of talent.

And I also must be crazy to think that the loss to Washington might have had something to do with the fact that they didn't have their starting QB and that Washington's head coach knows USC's offense better than anyone on the planet.

Or are you not aware that Steve Sarkisian was USC's coordinator for the past few years?

Referring to the piss poor performance against an Ohio State team that isnt anywhere near the level of competetion that people make them out to be, if you think tOSU is a quality opponent you're kidding yourself.

And I am clearly aware of the fact that Sakisian was USC's offensive coordinator and the fact that Taylor Mays did not play in that game as well (you forgot to mention that), why do you think I said that I was calling USC overrated based on the loss to Washington or were you not aware you should read a post before responding?

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Referring to the piss poor performance against an Ohio State team that isnt anywhere near the level of competetion that people make them out to be, if you think tOSU is a quality opponent you're kidding yourself......

They won the game. Just like Alabama did against Tennessee and Florida did against Mississippi State and Texas did against Colorado.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 08:47 PM
They won the game. Just like Alabama did against Tennessee and Florida did against Mississippi State and Texas did against Colorado.

the thing about those wins is no one is calling them signature wins for their team and USC and their fans are trying to use the tOSU game as reason why they are not overrated. Oh and for the record Texas, Bama and Florida have no signature wins to hang their hat on...actually I take that back Bama has the win over V Tech.

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 08:58 PM
the thing about those wins is no one is calling them signature wins for their team and USC and their fans are trying to use the tOSU game as reason why they are not overrated. Oh and for the record Texas, Bama and Florida have no signature wins to hang their hat on...actually I take that back Bama has the win over V Tech.

As long as USC is not ranked ahead of Alabama, Texas, or Florida right now, I don't feel they are overrated.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 09:00 PM
As long as USC is not ranked ahead of Alabama, Texas, or Florida right now, I don't feel they are overrated.

i can agree with that:thumbsup:

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 10:01 PM
I take that back Bama has the win over V Tech. :D ... And now so does North Carolina :eek: :eek:

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 10:03 PM
:D ... And now so does North Carolina :eek: :eek:

haha

carter08
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
oregon can beat USC.

i don't want it to happen for one reason though. it would make boise look even better. texas loss to ok state, bama and florida winner trips up somewhere or something, cincy and iowa finally lose, and we could end up with boise in the title game against texas or bama or florida or somebody, and that would not be fun.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by carter08
oregon can beat USC.

i don't want it to happen for one reason though. it would make boise look even better. texas loss to ok state, bama and florida winner trips up somewhere or something, cincy and iowa finally lose, and we could end up with boise in the title game against texas or bama or florida or somebody, and that would not be fun.

if all those things happen TCU could be sitting up there...what would the world do if the NC was TCU and Boise St?

carter08
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
if all those things happen TCU could be sitting up there...what would the world do if the NC was TCU and Boise St?

i forgot tcu was undefeated. doh.

no way they let 2 mid majors play for the title ever.

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by carter08
i forgot tcu was undefeated. doh.

no way they let 2 mid majors play for the title ever. You are absolutely right. I don't know how they would stop it, but the AD's and Presidents would come up with something. :confused:

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 10:31 PM
You are absolutely right. I don't know how they would stop it, but the AD's and Presidents would come up with something. :confused:

they wouldnt have to the human voters wouldnt let it happen

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 10:34 PM
they wouldnt have to the human voters wouldnt let it happen True.

IHStangFan
10-31-2009, 10:58 PM
As long as USC is not ranked ahead of Alabama, Texas, or Florida right now, I don't feel they are overrated. you were saying.......??? :D Sorry man...couldn't resist.