PDA

View Full Version : Question for officials

ccmom
10-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Isn't there a rule against "leaping", or am I making that up? I'm not trying to be scarcastic, FOR ONCE....I really want to know.

To be more specific....during an extra point attempt, is it legal for a defender in the linebacker position to "leap" over the center to block the kick?

Thanks

GrTigers6
10-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm not an official but i know it is legal if the player doesnt use his teammate to propel him over. he has to do it all on his own

FbCoachB40
10-28-2009, 10:38 AM
The rule has always been that no other player can assist you in your jump. It was also a rule that when you leaped in High School that you could not lead with your feet i.e. hurdle another player. But we see that all of the time now. I don;t know if the rule was ever changed, or if we just don't call it anymore.

ccmom
10-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
The rule has always been that no other player can assist you in your jump. It was also a rule that when you leaped in High School that you could not lead with your feet i.e. hurdle another player. But we see that all of the time now. I don;t know if the rule was ever changed, or if we just don't call it anymore.

So, by rule, the player cannot use a player from the opposing team to assist in his leap either, right? Again, I'm just trying to understand the rule. Thanks for any or all comments.

Pendragon13
10-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I heard a story once about a team that used cheerleader lifts (two players boosting another) that prompted the rule change a long time ago. I can't remember the team or the era it happened though. (70's-80's?)

ccmom
10-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I also thought there was something about the "leaping" player having to be a yard from the line of scrimmage at the snap???? Anyone??:confused:

BreckTxLonghorn
10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm no ref but thought there were a few rules in this:

1) Player cannot assist a teammate, be assisted by another teammate, or use the opposing team to help assist in jumping up to block.
2) If at the LOS, player must jump straight up and not into the line - I believe this was done because man when players were trying to jump over, they fell on to a lineman who was planted, and the downward force was causing leg/knee injuries.

BwdLion_80
10-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Here is what the 2008 rules state about leaping.

9.1.2(n)
No defensive player, in an attempt to gain an advantage, may step, jump
or stand on an opponent. No defensive player who runs forward from
beyond the neutral zone and leaps from beyond the neutral zone in an
obvious attempt to block a field goal or try may land on any player(s).
It is not a foul if the leaping player was aligned in a stationary position
within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

GATAPride77
10-28-2009, 11:21 AM
land on any player(s).

Unusual rule in that if a defender runs forward and leaps and lands on his own teamates then it is still a personal foul.

The running forward and leaping part has been on the books for about three years maybe a little longer but it is fairly new addition.

ccmom
10-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
Here is what the 2008 rules state about leaping.

9.1.2(n)
No defensive player, in an attempt to gain an advantage, may step, jump
or stand on an opponent. No defensive player who runs forward from
beyond the neutral zone and leaps from beyond the neutral zone in an
obvious attempt to block a field goal or try may land on any player(s).
It is not a foul if the leaping player was aligned in a stationary position
within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

Thanks for posting the rule.

So, am I correct in saying that if a defender is walking up from the goal line as he is timing the snap, and that same player leaps over the center and blocks the kick, a flag should have been thrown?

BwdLion_80
10-28-2009, 12:12 PM
According to the rule, if the player did not land on another player, it was legal.

Looking4number8
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Isn't there a rule against "leaping", or am I making that up? I'm not trying to be scarcastic, FOR ONCE....I really want to know.

To be more specific....during an extra point attempt, is it legal for a defender in the linebacker position to "leap" over the center to block the kick?

Thanks

I am assuming that some are whining that a flag should have been thrown to keep Brownwood from winning the game. The picture below shows Longoria did not leap over anybody. He crashed thru the Graham defenders to block the kick. It was simply a great effort by a kid who was determined to do his job to make sure his team won. I am sure I would be saying the same thing if I was on the other side of the argument but .... Lions Win!

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/phoca_thumb_l_img_7739b1.jpg

ccmom
10-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I am assuming that some are whining that a flag should have been thrown to keep Brownwood from winning the game. The picture below shows Longoria did not leap over anybody. He crashed thru the Graham defenders to block the kick. It was simply a great effort by a kid who was determined to do his job to make sure his team won. I am sure I would be saying the same thing if I was on the other side of the argument but .... Lions Win!

For the record, I obviously had no "Dawg" in the fight (haha), and I have already congratulated the Lions more than once for an outstanding game and victory. :cheerl: I am truly just trying to understand the rule and where the arguement might come from.

BwdLion_80
10-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Or... stir the pot???:thinking: :thinking:

ccmom
10-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
Or... stir the pot???:thinking: :thinking:

I have been known to do that, but I admit it when I do. :D

Looking4number8
10-28-2009, 12:30 PM
For the record, I obviously had no "Dawg" in the fight (haha), and I have already congratulated the Lions more than once for an outstanding game and victory. :cheerl: I am truly just trying to understand the rule and where the arguement might come from.

I have no problem with people questioning the call or lack of it! Like I said, if I was on the other side of the ball I am sure I would be doing the same thing. We sure had our questions about the officials all night long. Seems that was almost the only play that they did not throw a flag on Brownwood. we were very upset when ther was an obvious roughing the kicker but they only called running into the kicker which did not give us a mcuh need first down (among several other questionable calls by the officials all night long)

I was simply posting a picture trying to prove that a flag should not have been thrown and say.... Lions Win!!!

ccmom
10-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I have no problem with people questioning the call or lack of it! Like I said, if I was on the other side of the ball I am sure I would be doing the same thing. We sure had our questions about the officials all night long. Seems that was almost the only play that they did not throw a flag on Brownwood. we were very upset when ther was an obvious roughing the kicker but they only called running into the kicker which did not give us a mcuh need first down (among several other questionable calls by the officials all night long)

I was simply posting a picture trying to prove that a flag should not have been thrown and say.... Lions Win!!!

So....in the picture, he is in that position because he was jumping forward and that picture does not depict his position as he was coming down from leaping over a defender?

I wasn't there....
I didn't truly understand the rule until today (if I even do now:confused: )
And again, it didn't really matter much to me which team won.

Just saying those things again so that you know I am not trying to imply that the Lions didn't deserve the win, because obviously they did! I'm just a little bored and want to keep picking on you...

So please indulge me L48.....:)

Keith7
10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
So....in the picture, he is in that position because he was jumping forward and that picture does not depict his position as he was coming down from leaping over a defender?

I wasn't there....
I didn't truly understand the rule until today (if I even do now:confused: )
And again, it didn't really matter much to me which team won.

Just saying those things again so that you know I am not trying to imply that the Lions didn't deserve the win, because obviously they did! I'm just a little bored and want to keep picking on you...

So please indulge me L48.....:)

How do you not understand the rule?? The rule clearly states that a player can jump over the line after the ball is snapped as long as his teammates don't help him do so

ccmom
10-28-2009, 12:59 PM
It was the part about the being outside the neutral zone, etc that I wasn't clear on....but I get it.

3afan
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM

this picture does not show that "Longoria did not leap over anybody" ... this only shows his position at that exact moment ... so its inconclusive with respect to the subject being discussed

IMO

BwdLions
10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
You people that are "bored" need to find a hobby (other than coming on here and looking for trouble). It was a great play and it saved the game for the Lions.

Mojado
10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
The only flag I've seen thrown in that situation is if the defender jumps over the center and makes contact... If neither happens, no flag...

pirate4state
10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
You people that are "bored" need to find a hobby (other than coming on here and looking for trouble). It was a great play and it saved the game for the Lions. haha that's funny. ccmom quit looking for/making trouble! :D

ccmom
10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Mojado
The only flag I've seen thrown in that situation is if the defender jumps over the center and makes contact... If neither happens, no flag... That is how I understand it and it does not appear that he made contact...at least not from the picture. Either way....again, great game by both teams and FANTASTIC win by the Lions.

ccmom
10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
haha that's funny. ccmom quit looking for/making trouble! :D ok, ok...

LE Dad
10-28-2009, 02:12 PM
:clap: :clap: Classic :D I love it :p Good lunch time reading :thumbsup:

cookiemonster
10-28-2009, 02:22 PM
You may not leap a player that has both feet on the ground unless you have the ball. You may leave your feet to block a kick only if you are 1 yrd or less from the line of scrimmage and do not land on another player or use another player to go up.