PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys Stadium - Class A-5A State Championship Game Location

Milk That Cow
10-27-2009, 11:17 AM
My Prediction...

BreckTxLonghorn
10-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Astrodome.

jason
10-27-2009, 11:22 AM
hope its not san antonio - the alamo dome sucks....

Maroon87
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Astrodome.

Doubtful...the Dome is in disrepair at this point.:(

Daddy D 11
10-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Darrell K. Royal in Austin.

Daddy D 11
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Every other state tournament is there. Why wouldn't football? It's close to as central as you can get, besides maybe Baylor. Either way I'm golden, I'll be able to see all the games:)

coach
10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Eagle Field in Fairfield is my prediction

Pendragon13
10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
As cool as that would be (still haven't been inside Cowboys stadium) I vastly prefer smaller stadiums for high school ball. Even large 5A schools won't come close to filling the place up....just imagine lower classifications trying to make noise in there. Some of the best games ever are where the stands are packed shoulder to shoulder and the overflow surrounds the endzones..

edit- yes, I know they are counting on fans for all teams watching all the games that day...but it ain't gonna happen.

Emerson1
10-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Every other state tournament is there. Why wouldn't football? It's close to as central as you can get, besides maybe Baylor. Either way I'm golden, I'll be able to see all the games:)
Because the games are played in mid-december. To big of a risk that the weather will be bad, then you are forcing every team to either A. Play in bad weather. Or it's so bad, that B. the games have to be delayed.

Daddy D 11
10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Because the games are played in mid-december. To big of a risk that the weather will be bad, then you are forcing every team to either A. Play in bad weather. Or it's so bad, that B. the games have to be delayed.

It's still mid-december no matter where you play. Just as good of a chance of bad weather in one location as another. Yes, if they're all in one location you get more delays than if they are spread around the state but that's the gamble you take.

SHSBulldog00
10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Astrodome.

Why not Reliant Stadium?

Pendragon13
10-27-2009, 01:54 PM
No matter where they choose to play the games...certain teams will get screwed with long drives while others can practically walk there. Texas is too big for it to be any other way...which is why I don't like this idea much.

NastySlot
10-27-2009, 02:00 PM
wow........new cowboy stadium.......so everyone can pay and arm and a leg to watch whats going to be on tv........so then attendence is down and we have maybe maybe 25,000 in stadium that seats almost 100,000...............DKR is over rated...but logical choice.......Relant would be good but not good for travel for west texas teams..........who said the alamodome is awful is way off......not a bad seat anywhere....what are you looking for when you say the alamodome sucks

my plan and maybe not the best........5A/4A DKR
3A Round Rock 2A San Marcos or Georgetown 1A House Park.

ASID has upgrade their facilities so burger and nelson wouldn't bad either.

Matthew328
10-27-2009, 02:00 PM
It's still mid-december no matter where you play. Just as good of a chance of bad weather in one location as another. Yes, if they're all in one location you get more delays than if they are spread around the state but that's the gamble you take.

Thats why you play the games in Reliant, Cowboys Stadium or Alamodome where its climate controlled.

LE Dad
10-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Why not Reliant Stadium? Works great except for Panhandle and West Texas. The drive is a lot better than Austin or San Antonio. I wish they would use a list of sites that the teams could choose from. Could see something like Region 1 team going to Houston to play Navasota, or say Region 4 team going to Dallas to play Celina.

BOCEPHUS
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
HERE IS SUM BY GAWD 'OBVIOUS' CHOICES U LEAV'EN OUT.

JONES STADIUM- LUBBOCK, JUST SWING BY WAL MART AND PICK U UP SUM LONG UNDIES AND SOME CAMO HUNT' N GEAR, IT BE ON SALE BY THEN, THE FAKE GORTEX STUFF

SHOTWELL- ABILENE TOWN, NO TRAFFIC PROBLEMS , HOLD ALL THE PEOPLE U CAN STUFF IN THERE, AND GET A GOOD STEAK OR BAR-B-Q AFTER GAME.

RATLIFF--- ODESSA---- NEED I SAY MORE

DICK BIVINS-- AMARILLO-- SELL BEST HOT CHOCOLATE IN TEXAS THERE.

BreckTxLonghorn
10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Why not Reliant Stadium?

Astrodome is running out of reasons to stay constructed. Turning it into a HS sports mecca would help the cause. I'd also support sending the basketball, volleyball, and baseball state championship there. It'd be neat to have a place where so many activities took place IMO.

Daddy D 11
10-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by BOCEPHUS
HERE IS SUM BY GAWD 'OBVIOUS' CHOICES U LEAV'EN OUT.

JONES STADIUM- LUBBOCK, JUST SWING BY WAL MART AND PICK U UP SUM LONG UNDIES AND SOME CAMO HUNT' N GEAR, IT BE ON SALE BY THEN, THE FAKE GORTEX STUFF

SHOTWELL- ABILENE TOWN, NO TRAFFIC PROBLEMS , HOLD ALL THE PEOPLE U CAN STUFF IN THERE, AND GET A GOOD STEAK OR BAR-B-Q AFTER GAME.

RATLIFF--- ODESSA---- NEED I SAY MORE

DICK BIVINS-- AMARILLO-- SELL BEST HOT CHOCOLATE IN TEXAS THERE.

Those are all horrible choices.

HEMOTOXIC
10-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Works great except for Panhandle and West Texas. The drive is a lot better than Austin or San Antonio. I wish they would use a list of sites that the teams could choose from. Could see something like Region 1 team going to Houston to play Navasota, or say Region 4 team going to Dallas to play Celina.

So true. I just hate the idea of having UIL predetermine a site.

The Astrodome would need millions in renovations before hosting such events.

More than likely, it will remain the same as far as location alternating between Reliant Stadium, The Alamodome, and Cowboys Stadium.

sinton66
10-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
No matter where they choose to play the games...certain teams will get screwed with long drives while others can practically walk there. Texas is too big for it to be any other way...which is why I don't like this idea much.

That's not all. Who's to say 1A thru 3A won't get screwed and have to play in the middle of the week like in the baseball tourney? This was BAD idea for the baseball tourney and it will be a worse idea for football. Wonder what they'll do when the participating teams refuse to travel so far? Not have a champ in that division?

Pendragon13
10-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
So true. I just hate the idea of having UIL predetermine a site.

The Astrodome would need millions in renovations before hosting such events.

More than likely, it will remain the same as far as location alternating between Reliant Stadium, The Alamodome, and Cowboys Stadium. Which means that west Texas/panhandle teams will always be faced with a long drive, a really long drive or a ridiculously long drive. If gas prices shoot through the roof again, some smaller schools could find themselves leaving the band at home and having a very small crowd cheering them on to a state championship..

sinton66
10-27-2009, 04:57 PM
If there's money to be made, it's going to be in Centex.

Keith7
10-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
That's not all. Who's to say 1A thru 3A won't get screwed and have to play in the middle of the week like in the baseball tourney? This was BAD idea for the baseball tourney and it will be a worse idea for football. Wonder what they'll do when the participating teams refuse to travel so far? Not have a champ in that division?

Teams won't refuse to play for the state title, that's just ridiculous.. They could have it in El Paso every year and teams would still travel to play.. And I really doubt they will have games in the middle of the week.. They will more than likely have weekend triple and double headers I'm sure, which would make for one pricey but awesome all-day ticket

Daddy D 11
10-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Teams won't refuse to play for the state title, that's just ridiculous.. They could have it in El Paso every year and teams would still travel to play.. And I really doubt they will have games in the middle of the week.. They will more than likely have weekend triple and double headers I'm sure, which would make for one pricey but awesome all-day ticket

I agree. No one in their right mind doesn't travel to a state championship game, come on. And I can see the sites changing every 2 years, kinda like with re-alignment. Between DKR, Reliant, Alamodome and maybe Jerryworld.

sinton66
10-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

TEN championship games at ONE location over TWO days? Triple headers =SIX games max over two days. When do the other four play?

And no, I wasn't serious about teams not travelling. I'm sure the communities would raise the necessary funds one way or another.

Still a BAD idea.

Keith7
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
TEN championship games at ONE location over TWO days? Triple headers =SIX games max over two days. When do the other four play?

Good point, I don't know.. Maybe they push the 4A / 5A games back a week

Matthew328
10-27-2009, 06:06 PM
2A and 1A will be one weekend since they are going to two division format..3A Div. 1 will be that same weekend (Week 15) maybe they do something in one spot there...

both 5A's 4A's and 3A Div II could be in another spot in Week 16...five games per weekend for two weekends....if its all in one spot I'm all for it

HEMOTOXIC
10-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Which means that west Texas/panhandle teams will always be faced with a long drive, a really long drive or a ridiculously long drive. If gas prices shoot through the roof again, some smaller schools could find themselves leaving the band at home and having a very small crowd cheering them on to a state championship..

I'm fully aware of my geography. Thats why I said I don't like the idea.:D

sinton66
10-27-2009, 06:13 PM
I haven't seen the thing yet, so I can't say for sure. This may be the UIL doing away with the choice or coin flip between opposing staffs and preselecting a suitable neutral site as close to halfway between the two teams as possible. IF that's the case, then this is not as stupid as it first seems. They wouldn't, however, know what they're taking on here, it's not as easy as some might think.
There are VAST areas in this state where there are no suitable facilities (suitable to BOTH staffs) halfway between. They will run the gamble that NEITHER staff will be happy with the selection. I see a possibility of some "The UIL cost us a championship" arguments.

Phantom Stang
10-27-2009, 06:14 PM
And I can see the sites changing every 2 years, kinda like with re-alignment. Between DKR, Reliant, Alamodome and maybe Jerryworld. Don't forget the Sun Bowl.:D

sinton66
10-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
2A and 1A will be one weekend since they are going to two division format..3A Div. 1 will be that same weekend (Week 15) maybe they do something in one spot there...

both 5A's 4A's and 3A Div II could be in another spot in Week 16...five games per weekend for two weekends....if its all in one spot I'm all for it

In that case, they will have to ammend another of their current regulations. They say ALL games must be completed by the 15th week of the season so basketball can start. The only logical way to do this is to have more than one spot.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
this is just stupid... in '04 it was perfect for Abilene Wylie and Cuero to play in Waco... they picked Waco because it was almost the exact same distance from both schools (and I'm talking a few miles)...

Say they do pick Dallas one year... and Wimberley were to stay in Region 1... then Yoakum (just not to pick the obvious Cuero) continued to be in Region 4... then say Yoakum and Wimberley make it to the state championship game... these two teams/communities that used to drive about 80 miles to one-anothers' stadiums to play a DISTRICT game just 15 years back now have to drive all of the way up to Dallas to play each other?

moronic...

I'm honestly not that pissed off about it... just don't know why you can't let two coaches from two communities who know more about the situation than the UIL does pick where their team should play... if it was a HUGE problem for the games to NOT be at the same place chosen by the UIL, I'd understand... then again that's probably what it is, the UIL currently does not have its hands on it and feels the need to grab...

sinton66
10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think all they are doing is trying to eliminate the crying debacles like Sinton/Burnet in 04. A UIL decided site would have prevented that.

Pendragon13
10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think all they are doing is trying to eliminate the crying debacles like Sinton/Burnet in 04. A UIL decided site would have prevented that. What happened back then?

sinton66
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Burnet lost the coin flip and had to drive to Corpus Christi for the regional final. They were NOT happy about that.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Burnet lost the coin flip and had to drive to Corpus Christi for the regional final. They were NOT happy about that.

did the teams agree on a home and home?

sinton66
10-27-2009, 07:08 PM
I wasn't involved in the strategy of course, but from all I heard, they couldn't agree on a neutral site for various reasons. Sinton suggested Seguin since we played them in Round Rock the previous year. Seguin wasn't a good quality stadium and didn't have enough room for the vast crowd they would bring or something. Shipley wanted to play in the Alamodome and the Sinton kids wanted somewhere besides San Antonio since they played there the week before(not in the dome). Then I heard Texas Stadium was considered by them and McAllen was considered by Mitchell. Sinton was accused of trying to take their crowd out of the game, and yada yada. Came down to a coin toss and they lost. The Burnet fans on here went dang near berzerk. Guess it didn't hurt so bad after they left with a 42-21 victory in hand.

sinton66
10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I take it back, it was San Marcos the year before, not Round Rock.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I wasn't involved in the strategy of course, but from all I heard, they couldn't agree on a neutral site for various reasons. Sinton suggested Seguin since we played them in Round Rock the previous year. Seguin wasn't a good quality stadium and didn't have enough room for the vast crowd they would bring or something. Shipley wanted to play in the Alamodome and the Sinton kids wanted somewhere besides San Antonio since they played there the week before(not in the dome). Then I heard Texas Stadium was considered by them and McAllen was considered by Mitchell. Sinton was accused of trying to take their crowd out of the game, and yada yada. Came down to a coin toss and they lost. The Burnet fans on here went dang near berzerk. Guess it didn't hurt so bad after they left with a 42-21 victory in hand.

after the close-to 100 games played in the 3A playoffs each year, you rarely hear about location conflicts... add to that the other classifications' playoff games and you don't hear many cases of it there either...

this should be an example of not fixing unbroken things...

Matthew328
10-27-2009, 07:16 PM
In that case, they will have to ammend another of their current regulations. They say ALL games must be completed by the 15th week of the season so basketball can start. The only logical way to do this is to have more than one spot.

Teams have played 16 games for a long time now.... Division 1 only plays 15 games in 3A but Division II has always had 16 games. 5A and 4A both Divisions play up to 16 games as does 2A and 1A Division II

Thats why it just might make sense...it's wishful thinking for big schools but I think a Week 15 5 pack for 1A, 2A and 3A Div. 1 would be awesome.

sinton66
10-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Teams have played 16 games for a long time now.... Division 1 only plays 15 games in 3A but Division II has always had 16 games. 5A and 4A both Divisions play up to 16 games as does 2A and 1A Division II

Thats why it just might make sense...it's wishful thinking for big schools but I think a Week 15 5 pack for 1A, 2A and 3A Div. 1 would be awesome.

I would expect MEDIA types to favor it. :D It definitely won't be a GOOD thing for taxpayer bucks though.

sinton66
10-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
this should be an example of not fixing unbroken things...

Since when do they apply logic?

Emerson1
10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think all they are doing is trying to eliminate the crying debacles like Sinton/Burnet in 04. A UIL decided site would have prevented that.
Or like HP vs. Marshall. Now that was chaos.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 07:23 PM
another thing I don't like about it: are they going to put these 3A games in big-ass stadiums such as the Alamadome, Dallas Cowboys, Reliant etc...?

it's cool to get to the big city and do some shopping for the holiday season and all, and a game is a game and I love it, but I just think it screws up the atmosphere a little when you look to the other side of the stadium and see 5k screaming fans barely putting a dent in the seating... I want the venue small and packed... you don't take a shot of wiskey out of a keg, no use 'forcing' high school teams to play in an NFL stadium...

Emerson1
10-27-2009, 07:24 PM
This wasn't a state championship though was it?

sinton66
10-27-2009, 07:26 PM
another thing I don't like about it: are they going to put these 3A games in big-ass stadiums such as the Alamadome, Dallas Cowboys, Reliant etc...?

it's cool to get to the big city and do some shopping for the holiday season and all, and a game is a game and I love it, but I just think it screws up the atmosphere a little when you look to the other side of the stadium and see 5k screaming fans barely putting a dent in the seating... I want the venue small and packed... you don't take a shot of wiskey out of a keg, no use 'forcing' high school teams to play in an NFL stadium...

In absolute agreement here. PLUS, a team that has never played in a dome before could easily be at a disadvantage to a team that has. These are KIDS and they can be awed at times.

Emerson1
10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
In absolute agreement here. PLUS, a team that has never played in a dome before could easily be at a disadvantage to a team that has. These are KIDS and they can be awed at times.
The aw factor should be gone by game time or you are likely lacking a mentally tough team anyways if playing in a dome is just to overwhelming hours after arriving.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't think games should be played in domes period... they should all be outside..

I love my Texans and all, and it's a real nice stadium, but even with the roof open the game feels like it's inside at Reliant...

we all complain about the weather here... Florida has wome weird weather: Stadiums are outside...

It gets freaking cold in Green Bay/Pitt/Philly/Green Bay/NE/GREEN BAY and those men play outside...

If it's gunna be hot, wear little (unless you're eva mendez, wear nothing)... if it's gunna be cold, wear everything you own (unless you're eva mendez, wear nothing)...

sinton66
10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The aw factor should be gone by game time or you are likely lacking a mentally tough team anyways if playing in a dome is just to overwhelming hours after arriving.

Not saying it's the only factor, but I remember one 1999 3A championship when a state finalist got beat 49-0 in the Astrodome. I can assure you, that team was better than that showing. The reason is open to speculation.

And, Gobbla is spot on, Texas High School football BELONGS outdoors.

And the Sinton/Burnet was R4 finals.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 07:38 PM
(unless you're eva mendez, wear nothing)...

please

Matthew328
10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
From a media perspective I really am I hoping that there are multiple games at the same location..I think thats good for the fans...

Pendragon13
10-27-2009, 08:17 PM
From a media perspective I really am I hoping that there are multiple games at the same location..I think thats good for the fans... And how is that exactly? Maybe you missed the previous posts about vast traveling distances...teams that even if every man, woman and child in the town came to the game still would only fill a small section of Reliant/Cowboys/Alamodome...and that's even factoring in fans of other teams watching some of the games. If 5A schools want to play in the huge venues that's fine.....the smaller school people prefer to play outdoors and ideally with packed stands on both sides. Sorry, but convenience for media people isn't a priority for the schools and their fans.;)

cshscougar08
10-27-2009, 08:26 PM
And how is that exactly? Maybe you missed the previous posts about vast traveling distances...teams that even if every man, woman and child in the town came to the game still would only fill a small section of Reliant/Cowboys/Alamodome...and that's even factoring in fans of other teams watching some of the games. If 5A schools want to play in the huge venues that's fine.....the smaller school people prefer to play outdoors and ideally with packed stands on both sides. Sorry, but convenience for media people isn't a priority for the schools and their fans.;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I agree it's cool to be able watch so many games at the same place...

And yes, it is a thumbs up for the most part when talking about the media being able to cover more games... but I don't see every NFL game being played in Bristol ha...

but I'm an outside fan and they're the media... where the two coaches and two groups of kids agree to play is where the game should be played...

Matthew328
10-27-2009, 09:04 PM
And how is that exactly? Maybe you missed the previous posts about vast traveling distances...teams that even if every man, woman and child in the town came to the game still would only fill a small section of Reliant/Cowboys/Alamodome...and that's even factoring in fans of other teams watching some of the games. If 5A schools want to play in the huge venues that's fine.....the smaller school people prefer to play outdoors and ideally with packed stands on both sides. Sorry, but convenience for media people isn't a priority for the schools and their fans.;)

I never said the games had to be in Reliant/Cowboys/Alamodome, I just said I'm in favor of games being in the same place.

I think it makes for a great event to have multiple games in the same location. Have a game Friday night and 3 on Saturday..sounds like a great football weekend to me regardless of location. The state basketball tournament is in a predetermined site and no one has too much of an issue there.

3A title games have been in big stadiums in the past and no one's thrown a fit about it, so whats the difference now? I seem to recall both title games being in Texas Stadium last year and I attended both and the atmosphere was just fine...especially for the Prosper-LaVega game because there was another game after it

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Yah, I thought about the state basketball/baseball tournaments etc... deal hampering my arguement, but you're playing multiple games close together... it's easier to have everyone there already and makes perfect sense for a central, unbiased group to chose the location ahead of time...

I've been to title games in big venues and have enjoyed them, I just like a packed medium-sized house more than a 1/3 or so full huge-sized stadium...

but it shouldn't matter what I want, I just think it should be up to the coaches etc... as I said...

Like my Wimberley/Yoakum scenerio... no need for two teams south of Austin that are a little over 80 or so miles apart to have to play in Waco, Dallas or Houston or wherever unless they really want to...

Matthew328
10-27-2009, 09:16 PM
You'll get that at times (how about 5A boys basketball last year DeSoto and Cedar Hill two schools south of Dallas 8 miles apart played in Austin) but in the end getting everyone in one location makes it more of an event and as a fan of high school football in general if I can see more games I am all for it...in Week 16 last year I only saw two games...(one Fri and one Sat) if I can up that to 3 or four games I say make it happpen...media or not I'd drive to any part of the state to watch the great game

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
in Week 16 last year I only saw two games...(one Fri and one Sat) if I can up that to 3 or four games I say make it happpen...

yah but most of these teams' fans don't care about watching other games, they want to paint their cars, put on their team-spirit clothing, get in then get out...

they're not all HS football nerds like us ...:nerd: :D

Matthew328
10-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Well those teams fans will need to make the best of it because its happening weather they like it or not..I say make lemonade out of lemons and make the most of it..

All the griping about fans traveling is dumb anyway, the RARE times teams from the panhandle advance to state they've got to travel 6 hrs plus anyway (ie Canadian last year) fans who travel six hours are gonna travel 9 hrs also, the dedicated ones will show up the ones who aren't as dedicated will listen on the radio....I doubt some fan from Canadian or other random panhandle school is gonna say "man that title game is in Austin 9 hours is just too far for me, but if it was in Dallas which is just six hours away I'd so be there!!"

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Well we know it's going to happen, doesn't mean it makes sense...

It's those two teams playing for the Championship, I don't see anything wrong or stupid about them deciding where it's played... it's been that way for years... it's a little more organic that way...

If it's harder for every day fans like you and I to see the game then that's tough... it's not our schools and it's not our games...

Matthew328
10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
In a perfect world that would happen, but this will be fine. When they did this in 5A everyone hated it and for the most part it gets great reviews now...so its not the end of the world like some make it out to be

DaHop72
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Works great except for Panhandle and West Texas. The drive is a lot better than Austin or San Antonio. I wish they would use a list of sites that the teams could choose from. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
well I wouldn't say it's the end of the world either... and I'd much rather sit and watch a few state championship/semis games at the same place instead having to travel all over the place to watch those same games or miss one or two of those games...

but what I want shouldn't get in the way of what those teams want is my main point... we forget who's coaching, playing and cheering for family/friends in these games...

OldBison75
10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Why can't they just reserve two or three stadiums , say one in Dallas, one in Austin or San Antonio, and one in Waco (hypothetical locations). Establish game time slots available at each and start with 5A and let the coaches choose a stadium and time. Then 4A and so on. If the two teams playing are closer to San Antonio, the choice may be simple. If they are one north and one south the coaches have to agree or flip for home and home. Same with east to west.

To me, that would work if each stadium was reserved for one Friday night game and three Saturday games. Once a stadium was filled for the four games, it is no longer in the mix and the choice becomes from two.

alaskacat
10-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Which means that west Texas/panhandle teams will always be faced with a long drive, a really long drive or a ridiculously long drive. If gas prices shoot through the roof again, some smaller schools could find themselves leaving the band at home and having a very small crowd cheering them on to a state championship..

You guys don't have a clue about long travel. In Alaska there is more than one regular season game that requires a plane ticket. And two that require a three day journey..just to play on Saturday and return.

The players are responsible for their own travel, and have raffles, carwashes, and many other fundraisers just to play. Some cities come together and help raise the funds , but not all....If you cut Alaska in half Texas would be third largest. Sometimes it is easier to play the alaska State Game in Seattle, but they don't it is always in Anchorage next door to the airport, for obvious reasons. As some have to travel upwards of 800 miles. On Gas Prices, when Ileft last week it was 3.54, last year at playoff time it was 4.79...in barrow it is near 7.00 now.

I drive from Oklah0ma every friday to watch Celina, or playoff games and it don't phase me, minimum is 200 miles and a motel..or 600 miles and a motel...To me it isd all rather ordinary after living in the north country for so long. But them my idea of a traffic jam, is a moose is in the road. Dallas scares the crap out of me!

sinton66
10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Do yall realize that football is the ONLY athletic state championship not played in Austin? If it changes, what are the chances it will be somewhere else? Even multiple sites will be spread out in Centex.

Pendragon13
10-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
You guys don't have a clue about long travel. In Alaska there is more than one regular season game that requires a plane ticket. And two that require a three day journey..just to play on Saturday and return.

The players are responsible for their own travel, and have raffles, carwashes, and many other fundraisers just to play. Some cities come together and help raise the funds , but not all....If you cut Alaska in half Texas would be third largest. Sometimes it is easier to play the alaska State Game in Seattle, but they don't it is always in Anchorage next door to the airport, for obvious reasons. As some have to travel upwards of 800 miles. On Gas Prices, when Ileft last week it was 3.54, last year at playoff time it was 4.79...in barrow it is near 7.00 now.

I drive from Oklah0ma every friday to watch Celina, or playoff games and it don't phase me, minimum is 200 miles and a motel..or 600 miles and a motel...To me it isd all rather ordinary after living in the north country for so long. But them my idea of a traffic jam, is a moose is in the road. Dallas scares the crap out of me! Alaska is a different animal altogether because there aren't interstates and highways crisscrossing the state. Consider (just for example) Abilene Wylie suits up 75+ players during the playoffs, 17 coaches+ team doctor, 22 student trainers, 11 cheerleaders, around 125 in the band + instruments/equipment...and this is just a 3A school. Of course during the regular season its only about 60 players and some of the coaches are scouting ahead even during the playoffs....but you can see the logistical nightmare that wouldn't even be feasible in Alaska.;)

blowfish
10-28-2009, 12:35 AM
I thought I heard a story on FSN that Dallas Cowboyt Stadium wouldnt be available for High School games this year?

Twirling Time
10-28-2009, 05:52 AM
A place like SMU (30,000 capacity) would be the right size. Big enough to hold everyone and small enough to make the crowd look big. I saw a 4A semifinal there and it was great atmosphere.

playnhurt
10-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Let the coaches decide, UIL might start charging more than than 15%.

And the new Cowboy Stadium would be putting more $$$ into JJ's pocket. I wouldn't want to play there.

NastySlot
10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
A place like SMU (30,000 capacity) would be the right size. Big enough to hold everyone and small enough to make the crowd look big. I saw a 4A semifinal there and it was great atmosphere.

I know at one time it cost more to rent out smu stadium then to play at texas stadium

Matthew328
10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I always heard the city of University Park has a limit on how many non SMU night games can be held there...I wanna say its two per year and they've already had one.

Buckeye1980
10-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I believe from what I have heard ( and I may be wrong) that the UIL will pick predetermined sites, it has not been said that all games will be in one location and has not been said that it will be picked years in the future. It may be that the UIL will pick the sites on the Sunday after the semi finals at a geographic location logical to the the teams involved. I know logical and UIL in same sentence seems weird , but this may be what is planned .

That being said, I have said for years a "Championship Weekend" would be great for Texas, and I know that the UIL has a rule against this(or I have heard ) but it could include games on Thursday night, Friday night , and Saturday and Sunday Afternoon ...I know I will be yellled at for that last one , but I have been yelled at before.

GreenMonster
10-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I think the UIL will keep these games along the I-35 corricor with the exception of Houston. i.e. Cowboys Stadium, Baylor, UT, Alamo Dome, and Reliant. I-35 runs right through the center of the state and therefore keeps the games in a fairly centralized location. Will some teams get the shaft on the drive, absolutely, but in order to draw the larger crowds that the UIL wants for these games they will need to keep the games within driving distance of where the majority of Texans live which is along the I-35 corridor.

Pendragon13
10-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I think the UIL will keep these games along the I-35 corricor with the exception of Houston. i.e. Cowboys Stadium, Baylor, UT, Alamo Dome, and Reliant. I-35 runs right through the center of the state and therefore keeps the games in a fairly centralized location. Will some teams get the shaft on the drive, absolutely, but in order to draw the larger crowds that the UIL wants for these games they will need to keep the games within driving distance of where the majority of Texans live which is along the I-35 corridor. If that is the case then Panhandle/far west Texas schools will be screwed no matter what if they make it to the title game. I guess thats the price for living out in the wild west prairie though.:doh: