PDA

View Full Version : Start resting players?

Sittin & Fishin
10-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Do you think teams that have playoff locks should start resting players or keep them going on all cylinders for playoffs? Is the threat of needless injury greater than the threat of possibly losing momentum.

trojan37
10-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Let your starters get the lead, and play the backups. No sense in getting a starter hurt. I would still let them play to get the reps, but don't risk an injury if it isn't necessary.

orange machine
10-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Play the starters through the 3rd qt if you are winning by a good margin then in the 4th start letting others play. You want the starters to stay in game shape plus keep working to get better.

garciap77
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
Play the starters through the 3rd qt if you are winning by a good margin then in the 4th start letting others play. You want the starters to stay in game shape plus keep working to get better.

I have been wondering about this! We have been pulling our player off in some games after the 2nd QTR! I not sure if this will hurt us come playoff time. I'm afraid our staters may get used to only playing 2QTRS. I agree with you orange machine, they should play through the 3QTR. How can your team get better if you only play 2QTRs.

STANG RED
10-27-2009, 09:44 AM
I wouldnt start making wholesale changes till late 3rd or 4th quarter. But I would start mixing in a few backups as early as the 2nd quarter. Let them get a few series in while surrounded by the starters. It'll be good for them, which in turn is good for the team.

Pendragon13
10-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
I have been wondering about this! We have been pulling our player off in some games after the 2nd QTR! I not sure if this will hurt us come playoff time. I'm afraid our staters may get used to only playing 2QTRS. I agree with you orange machine, they should play through the 3QTR. How can your team get better if you only play 2QTRs. You have to remember that with 60+ kids dressed out, a large number of them would spend the entire season on the sidelines (like last year with closer games) and would go in very cold if needed in the playoffs. This way they have experience against starting offenses/defenses. Those boys are in shape and can go 4 quarters in any game..

BwdLion73
10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Its a problem most coachs would like to have.

However I can recall some games in the past...(warning old Brownwood poster)...where we pushed a high flying team that had coasted through the season and watched them fall apart in the 4th. A lot would depend on your teams depth.

TheDOCTORdre
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm hopin Wylie rests their starters for a good part of the game next week againt Sweetwater and allows for Sweetwater to sneek up on them for the win

ccmom
10-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I'm hopin Wylie rests their starters for a good part of the game next week againt Sweetwater and allows for Sweetwater to sneek up on them for the win

Awww...it's nice to have dreams, isn't it!:p