PDA

View Full Version : Jasper fans...

whatusay2
09-01-2003, 06:54 PM
After what I saw Friday night, it might be a long season. I do believe that there is talent. However, it was very unpolished. There were lots of good individual efforts. But, they played terribly as a team. I'm hoping that I'm wrong and that by district, the coaches will have worked more with them and they will have "jelled as a team". If not, we'll be lucky to even get out of district.

Bulldog92
09-01-2003, 07:22 PM
You're probably right. It always takes a few games to get to know each other and mesh as a team. Who's starting at QB this week?

bearkatdad
09-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Yikes!! Both the offense and defense looked weak. Sure hope they can do something against Silsbee. Looks like this may be a re-building year for the Dogs. But, I've been wrong before. :)

JasperDog94
09-01-2003, 09:46 PM
From what I heard, Jasper looked pretty good in the 2nd half. But that was too little too late. I'm willing to cut 'em a little slack. Maybe PNG has a really good team this year, maybe not. Only time will tell. One thing is for sure: PNG has twice the students Jasper has. Don't forget that. They will play better as the season goes on. I'm sure that when Cook gets back, things will look a lot different. Relax, it's just the first game. :p

whatusay2
09-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Jordan started at QB. But, was injured in the third quarter. Bobby Brown took over. He's pretty good. I don't know if they'll be sticking w/ the spread offense. The only thing that seemed to work in the second half was the run.

Chris Hart
09-01-2003, 10:22 PM
I think you guys can relax, Jasper apparently had some first game jitters, being a young team and all. But they played a good 2nd half against PNG, who had previously beaten Beaumont Westbrook and Baytown Sterling both by scores of 5-1 in scrimmages. I think Jasper will be just fine. Good Luck from Burnet! :)

xlr8tor
09-02-2003, 06:58 AM
After re-evaluating the Jasper-PNG game, I think Jasper will be fine by District. Their speed is great. I believe when their QB gets healthy, along with their star back, they should do fine. They did have trouble with PNG, but it is just the first game. The passing game needs to pick up a little, but should be the same ol same ol, come district; between them and Newton. Just my take.

southern_thunder
09-02-2003, 08:09 AM
The thing with Jasper is not that they are young, it is that they are inexperienced. Jasper has a lot of seniors that have never played on Friday nights before and it will take some game time to get them ready. One highlight of the game though was that the Jasper kids showed heart, they never gave up and played much better in the second half and it was still against PN-G's starters. I predict a much improved Jasper team against Silsbee.

j_dog
09-02-2003, 11:04 AM
I concur with you who think it is far too soon to write off Jasper for this year. I don't have the advantage of seeing the game, but I did listen to the PNG broadcast. Their announcers surely did change their tune in the second half. It was their words that the Jasper D was really taking the game to PNG. And they seemed to be astounded with the Jasper offensive speed. I think it is clear that Jasper still has a fair amount of speed, size and ability. Jitters, yes, but experience can overcome jitters.

Even if they lose all their 4a and 5a games, they still are eligible to compete in district. It is way too soon to write off the Dogs.

JasperDog94
09-02-2003, 12:47 PM
I don't think anyone is writing off the dogs this year. I think that a lot of people were surprised by the halftime score, myself included. But you're right about the PNG announcers. I listened to part of the 2nd half and they had a lot of good things to say about the Jasper squad. Oh well, on to next week.

bearkatdad
09-02-2003, 08:23 PM
It's not as though Jasper needed additionl problems, but I see where the starting quarterback, Patton, is hurt and will miss at least a week.
I'm sure Brown will do a good job filling in...but he'll have his hands full. Sure would be nice to get a win under our belt.

Billy Boy
09-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Jasper's going to be alright. Bobby Brown is a good QB. They just need to work on getting the ball to the QB. I think they have a center problem right now.

j_dog
09-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Billy Boy:
Jasper's going to be alright. Bobby Brown is a good QB. They just need to work on getting the ball to the QB. I think they have a center problem right now.Now that you mention it, there did seem to be several balls sailing over the QB's head. And, that definitely affected Jasper's offensive play, especially in the first half. The good news is that is something specific that can be worked on. Marlon Cook had to take over the kicking last year, in addition to RB. Maybe he can also hike the ball, then jump back into the backfield!
:D wink