PDA

View Full Version : UIL also votes....

Eagle 1
10-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I heard on the news tonight that starting next year all of the state games, 1a-5a will be played at one predetermined location.
So it looks like the towns way up in the panhandle or way down south wont have a choice.
What's next, are they going to pick the winner of the game? :dispntd:

Z-RO
10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
No next people will gripe about having to travel so far for a championship game with the end result being another vote to make sectional champs instead of state champs just like california does.

Pendragon13
10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
If they alternate between the DFW area and Austin/San Antonio it won't be too bad. It might be rough for a panhandle team to travel to San Antonio..or a valley team traveling to DFW..but I think fans of those teams would prefer that to the alternative of sitting home with all the other eliminated teams.;)

edit- they could alternate between DFW, San Antonio and Lubbock.

SHSBulldog00
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Houston always gets screwed in this situation.:(

Old Dog
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Maney, money, money, that's all it's about..... MONEY!

Eagle 1
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
The problem I see is the smaller schools who are already on a limited budget having to split the cost of a larger stadium in a bigger city.
It just aint right. I believe the schools should still have the choice to meet somewhere in the middle.

TexMike
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
If El Paso offered UIL a deal "they could not refuse" UIL would take it. This is money deal for them, just like taking over officiaitng is a money grab, plain and simple. Let the bidding wars begin!

sinton66
10-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I have a feeling it will be concentrated around Centex. (Round Rock down to San Antonio).

LH Panther Mom
10-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Volleyball, cross country, basketball, baseball, softball, track and I'm guessing golf, are all played at a "predetermined location" every year. I'm not sure I see the difference. :confused:

Johnny Utah
10-27-2009, 07:11 AM
If I made the State Title game I dont think I would mind playing in a big nice venue in a central location with other schools playing before and after to showcase the Texas Talent. Seems to me, a central location with multiple State Championship games can only be a great deal.

3&2count
10-27-2009, 07:52 AM
If you made it to the title game, your school would reschedule anything they had to in order to make the team ready to play. I am sure if they had to travel too far they would go up the day before the game and spend the night.

I remember watching numerous good games when the dome was still hosting playoff games. That was fun to be able to watch high quality games all in one location.

Eagle 1
10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Volleyball, cross country, basketball, baseball, softball, track and I'm guessing golf, are all played at a "predetermined location" every year. I'm not sure I see the difference. :confused:

I think it will actually cut down on the attendance at the state game. I'll explain.
Usually when a team goes to the state finals, the area towns usually have fans there too.
If the game is going to be played clear across the state people who dont usually follow the team are not going to drive that far to see the game.
This has got to be one of the dumbest things the UIL has ever came up with.

pirate4state
10-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
I think it will actually cut down on the attendance at the state game. I'll explain.
Usually when a team goes to the state finals, the area towns usually have fans there too.
If the game is going to be played clear across the state people who dont usually follow the team are not going to drive that far to see the game.
This has got to be one of the dumbest things the UIL has ever came up with. I don't know. I know when Sinton played for state in '01 we had fans from our surrounding area make the trek up to College Station. I know it's only a little over 4 hours, but still. If you are fan of the game and you are able, you'll go. That's just my 0.02 cents.

coachc45
10-27-2009, 11:47 AM
This has got to be one of the dumbest things the UIL has ever came up with.

I disagree.... I think if they have one central site people will come from all over the state to watch your team, not just your little area. The 1A game will have 3 to 4 X the people it ever had. Plus it is a neat rallying cry.... Make it to Austin, make it to SA, make it to Dallas. Sounds alot better than ... lets make it to Gladewater...

Ranger Mom
10-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I honestly don't have a problem with it!!

Makes it much easier to arrange a trip, IMO!

I go to the state track meet in Austin every year. I book my hotel rooms a couple of months in advance.

Old Tiger
10-27-2009, 12:29 PM
You can now play playoff games at DKR so that would be a great venue for the games.

Emerson1
10-27-2009, 01:05 PM
The problem I see is the smaller schools who are already on a limited budget having to split the cost of a larger stadium in a bigger city.
It just aint right. I believe the schools should still have the choice to meet somewhere in the middle.
You're statement is what aint right.

Schools already charge $2,000-$3,000 for use of the stadium. If something like the Alamodome is getting a package deal for 5 games, chances are the schools will be paying about the same if anything at all.

----

Most logical choice is to rotate between Jerry World, Reliant and the Alamodome. Don't see them holding this at DKR since it's outside. They want more fans in the seats, and if it's raining no one will go sit out in the rain if it's on TV.

Eagle 1
10-27-2009, 01:58 PM
There should be no conflict with the bigger classifications because of the split districts starting next realignment the 1a and now 2a state championship games will be held a week earlier than the 4a and 5a games. One less round in the playoffs. Currently takes 5 rounds to crown D1 champ and 6 rounds to crown the D2 champ. With the new system both will have 5 rounds of playoffs. I'm not sure how this will affect 3A and higher, but I would bet that not all the games are on the same day.
There's no way as that would take to much time.

As for the driving. Canadian and Stratford both have made the finals the past few years in 1A.
Both towns are near the top of the Pan Handle.
It would not have made sense for Canadian to play Mart or Stratford to play Cayagu in Houston.
Some small town people just cant afford to drive all the way to Houston to watch the game, and dont really care if the people around Houston come and watch their team in the state championship.
Thats just the way it is.

People who live in Central Texas really dont have a problem with it. The teams in the upper PH and lower South are getting screwed the way I see it.
I live in Central Texas and dont like it.

ILS1
10-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I have a feeling it will be concentrated around Centex. (Round Rock down to San Antonio).

More like Dallas to San Antonio.

:D :D :D

Z-RO
10-27-2009, 04:04 PM
There should be no conflict with the bigger classifications because of the split districts starting next realignment the 1a and now 2a state championship games will be held a week earlier than the 4a and 5a games. One less round in the playoffs. Currently takes 5 rounds to crown D1 champ and 6 rounds to crown the D2 champ. With the new system both will have 5 rounds of playoffs. I'm not sure how this will affect 3A and higher, but I would bet that not all the games are on the same day.
There's no way as that would take to much time.

As for the driving. Canadian and Stratford both have made the finals the past few years in 1A.
Both towns are near the top of the Pan Handle.
It would not have made sense for Canadian to play Mart or Stratford to play Cayagu in Houston.
Some small town people just cant afford to drive all the way to Houston to watch the game, and dont really care if the people around Houston come and watch their team in the state championship.
Thats just the way it is.

People who live in Central Texas really dont have a problem with it. The teams in the upper PH and lower South are getting screwed the way I see it.
I live in Central Texas and dont like it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sinton66
10-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
More like Dallas to San Antonio.

:D :D :D

Think about it a sec. UIL is a function of UT. UT is in the center of the state. Disch-Falk is in the center of the state. Dell Diamond isn't far north of the center of the state. DRK Memorial is in the center of the state. Alamo Dome isn't far south of the center of the state. State Baseball, Basketball, Track Meet, and several others are held in Austin. See a pattern here?