PDA

View Full Version : UIL Press Release 2A Split Decision MERGED

R4Editor
10-26-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6685717.html

It appears the split system, all teams either in a Di or DII district from the start of a season, has been approved by the 2A superintendents. The general consensus seems to be this means the 2A bottom number and top number both raise because now 2A can handle more teams. Does this seem logical?
Why does this mean 2A will have more teams? Aren't they still trying to keep the 2.0 ratio in place from the smallest to largest enrollment?
With some of the large city district not opting up, is it a given that the 3A numbers will change?
I know it's only speculation, since its all super secret until Feb, but what do you think the impact is on 3A with 2A going to a split system?

Blackcat1954
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
AUSTIN, TX— Conference 2A football will be divided into two divisions prior to the start of the season and the state championship football games in Conferences 1A - 4A will be played at pre-determined sites after decisions handed down by the UIL Legislative Council on Monday.

As a result of the referendum ballot, Conference 2A superintendents across the state voted to divide football brackets into two divisions (Division I and Division II) prior to the start of the season. Conference 2A superintendents voted 121-75 in favor of the rule change. The results of the referendum ballot are binding, and will take effect in the 2009-10 school year. Since 2006, Conference 1A 11-man and Conference 1A six-man football have been split into two division.

The council unanimously passed a measure to have the Conference 1A - 4A football state championships at pre-determined sites beginning in the 2010-11 school year. The UIL has determined the site for the Conference 5A state football championships since 2006, and both games are televised. Schools involved in the games will continue to make all decisions regarding the games other than the site and time of game.

In other action, the council approved a rule change to allow seventh and eighth graders to participate in summer strength and conditioning programs conducted by their school coaches. A separate amendment allowing each school or school district the ability to designate a starting and ending date for strength and conditioning programs not to exceed a six-week period during the summer was also passed.

The following items were approved by the Legislative Council on Monday:
Adding one additional contestant in each event to the State Track and Field Meet increasing the number of contestants per event per classification to nine;
Requiring all coaches to complete an annual UIL Rules Compliance Program (RCP) prescribed by the UIL;
Requiring UIL member schools to use officials registered with UIL in all varsity team sport contests.

Council members rejected, tabled or took no action on the following:
Allowing school coaches to coach their teams in the summer;
Adding two additional teams to the playoffs in team tennis;
Adding bowling.

The Commissioner of Education must approve amendments passed by the UIL Legislative Council before they may take effect.

Daddy D 11
10-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I like the pre determined sites. Makes for an "Omaha" type atmosphere to the season.

hollywood
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I like the pre determined sites. Makes for an "Omaha" type atmosphere to the season. Yep, I agree!

Z-RO
10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
I hate the idea

Trashman
10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Gon'na suck if you live anywhere west of the I35 corridor.:(

95mustang
10-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Gon'na suck if you live anywhere west of the I35 corridor.:(

Definitely gonna be some miles on the buses.

VWG
10-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Yep, not fair if a team up in the Panhandle (Bushland, Canadian) has to travel to San Antonio for state title game if they play somebody within 3 to 4 hours of SA.

ctown
10-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Wonder if teams will go out of their way to schedule other playoff games at the State Championship sites to prep for the big game.

ctown
10-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Also, if they split into two divisions, I had heard it was equally split with 16 districts in each?? If so, will there be two teams from each district going to the playoffs---making the state championships end on the same day?? If they take two teams from each district in each division, that would essentially add another opportunity for a school to get in. Right now all districts send 3 but would the new system send a number proportionate to 4 under the current system?? Lots of questions to be answered....but interesting. Not sure if it does alot to 3A.

Twirling Time
10-26-2009, 06:07 PM
When 1A split it cut the number of available playoff berths from 78 to 64. When 2A splits, the reduction should be even greater (96 to 64) because I don't think there are any 2A bye districts.

bigwood33
10-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ctown
Also, if they split into two divisions, I had heard it was equally split with 16 districts in each?? If so, will there be two teams from each district going to the playoffs---making the state championships end on the same day?? If they take two teams from each district in each division, that would essentially add another opportunity for a school to get in. Right now all districts send 3 but would the new system send a number proportionate to 4 under the current system?? Lots of questions to be answered....but interesting. Not sure if it does alot to 3A.
If the UIL fills all 32 districts, 16 Div 1 and 16 Div 2, the total number of playoff teams will increase but if there are empty districts the number will go down. The plan will include 2 teams from each district making the playoffs.

Twirling Time
10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Right now, 32 districts x 3 playoff teams per district = 96 total berths.

When the split happens, 16 Division I districts + 16 Division II districts x 2 playoff teams per district = 64 berths.

And if the UIL increases the number of schools in 2A, playoff slots are going to be even harder to come by. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing -- nobody likes a 2-8 playoff team.

SHSBulldog00
10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I thought this would happen.

bigwood33
10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time

When the split happens, 16 Division I districts + 16 Division II districts x 2 playoff teams per district = 64 berths.

And if the UIL increases the number of schools in 2A, playoff slots are going to be even harder to come by. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing -- nobody likes a 2-8 playoff team.
You're right, sorry.

Antec
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Look for Palacios, Yoakum, Edna and Goliad to possibly move down to 2A

LE Dad
10-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Gon'na suck if you live anywhere west of the I35 corridor.:( North east not gonna fair much better going to SA or Austin. Dallas or Houston OK but I can just see them causing parents to miss a major moment in their kids lives. :dispntd: :dispntd:

Trashman
10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
I thought this would happen.

Sooner or later this will happen all the way up to and including 5A. I like the split myself...don't like the idea of the UIL deciding where the SC game will be played. Going to really suck if your from the Valley or El Paso and the SC game is in DFW.:rolleyes:

SHSBulldog00
10-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I would of like to have seen all the classes do it. Instead we have to wait a few years.

SHSBulldog00
10-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Heard the Bottom 3A number might jump between 460-470. Any possibility?

d0tc0m
10-27-2009, 12:39 AM
This sounds like a terrible idea from the UIL.

Twirling Time
10-27-2009, 08:04 AM
I would of like to have seen all the classes do it. Instead we have to wait a few years.

If any class needs to do it, it's 5A. Anyone seen the Plano numbers?

BILLYFRED0000
10-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time

I like it. it makes it hard to get titles again reducing the number of teams to 2 instead of 3 per district. Makes district more important again. In most districts now the top 3 teams usually have easy times in because the bottom of their districts are weak. Celina Argyle and Prosper are going year in and year out with once in a while scares from the rest of the district. Knocking that to two teams would eliminate prosper and argyle going large while Celina would be in a different alignment all together because we are the smallest school in the district by far. I hope 3a goes that route because it changes the complexion of the teams playing each other so much that we would see teams that we would normally not see. Nice for the change.

bigwood33
10-27-2009, 10:21 AM
I just talked to Mark Cousins of the UIL and he said that the the UIL surveyed 3A, 4A, and 5A superintendents about several things, including their opinion of split divisions. He said that the 3A superintendents were split about 50-50, 4A was against the split divisions by a pretty wide margin and 5A was overwhelmingly against split divisions. I also asked him about the possibility of having 3 teams from each 2A district make the playoffs with the 1st place teams getting a 1st round bye instead of only 2 teams making the playoffs. He said that for this coming alignment that there would only be 2 teams per district but that may be revisited in the following alignment year (2012). He did indicate that some people would like to see more teams in the playoffs but was non-committal.