PDA

View Full Version : 6 Divisions?

Brahma73
11-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Anybody heard anything about 6 divisions for HS football next year - i.e., 1A through 6A. Think it would be great to get rid of Big/Small fiasco so we could really find out who's tops in each division. Personally, I'd like to see the play-offs limited to top 2 teams again. 3rd's are generally gettin' hammered and I might be wrong, but I don't think a 3 has ever made it to the top. I guess the rule is OK if you happen to be a 3rd place team!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-13-2002, 11:32 PM
I heard the same thing about 6 divisions. That would be much better than this DI and DII business. Oklahoma uses 6 classifications. But I disagree with you regarding 3 teams going to the playoffs. I played at Arlington Martin '88 which is a 5A school, but back then only 2 teams went to the playoffs. There were 9 teams in our district and only the top two went. I think that year Trinity was 8-2 and didn't make it. Haltom went 10-0 and Arlington Lamar went 8-2 but beat out Trinity wend to head. That has to suck for Trinity to go 8-2 and not make the playoffs.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-13-2002, 11:34 PM
Hey Brahma 73, I also heard the same thing, but it would not happen next year because the UIL re-aligns the districts every two years, so it would happen after next season if they do so.
I think you are right, have 6 divisions and one champ in each. On the issue of 3 teams you have some districts that only have one good team but there are districts that have 3 or maybe even 4, good teams, example of that, like our district, 23-3A. There you have a 7-3 team, sitting at home, and there are 3-7 teams in the playoffs.
Good Luck to the Brahmas, Win State!!!!

Brahma73
11-13-2002, 11:43 PM
Both of you make excellent points (but has a 3 ever won it all or even gotten really close... just curious). Guess you're right about some large districts (8+ teams) having several good teams. Honestly though in 23AAA, I really don't believe anybody but Bellville is formidable (maybe not even them for more than 2 rounds). Teams 2 through 4 realistically aren't going anywhere no matter who they ended up being. Sucked for Sealy to have to stay home, though.

I do firmly loathe the D1 / D2 thing, though. I'll bet you every D2 champion this year will swear they could be the D1's. Sad thing is they're could easily be right. Let's put 'em all back in the same pot!

War BHS!!

sinton66
11-14-2002, 12:14 AM
Well, believe it or not, the UIL is considering sending 4 teams from each district, 2 for div.1 and 2 for div.2.

Brahma73
11-14-2002, 12:25 AM
Hey S66, isn't that just freakin' great?! UIL is in it for the money. If you don't know, ask your AD how much of each gate $$$ goes straight to UIL.
What do we do to stop this mess. I played '69-'73. (No we didn't wear leather helmets!!!) Then only 1 team went to play-offs. Bottom line: It shouldn't take til Christmas to find out who state champ is. Bottomer line: If you sucked during the regular season, you'll probably suck bigger in the play-offs. Are we trying to be the NBA?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-14-2002, 12:34 AM
Hey Sinton 66, would'nt that water it down, if they do that they might as well have a division for the rest of the teams that were left, and call it the bottom of the barrel division. I can see three, and the way it is now, but please no more than three!!
Hey were you at the game last year were we played yall, and what a game it was! Yall had a good team. Good luck in D1.
One more thing do you think you could get the Alaniz kid to go to play for the AGGIES?

Old Dog
11-14-2002, 12:37 AM
I said it before, soon they will just hand out participation trophies so everybody will "feel good" about themselves. The UIL is typical of so many pseudo agencies. They sit around and make up control regulations to mystify the masses. I best hush or next I'll be concerned that the U.N. will get involved.

Brahma73
11-14-2002, 12:49 AM
Hey Dog, it's the money. Sure the kids may all feel warm & fuzzy if daddy rents the charter and his 2-4 powerhouse can ride down the road to get spanked. But the UIL execs really feel good when those extra gate receipts pad some fat salaries. It's damn ridiculous.

By the way S99, I'd be good with Adrian in Maroon & White too!!!!!! I guess the 'horns will be hot for a replacement for Christina though. Maybe Mac will let him answer his own questions!!!!

Bulldog92
11-14-2002, 02:11 AM
I spent my senior year in the Denver area and if you think the UIL is screwed up, you ought to see what they're doing. They put almost every team in the playoffs, even if they had a 2-8 or 1-9 season. They do that in every sport, so be thankful that Texas hasn't gone that far...

sinton66
11-14-2002, 08:03 AM
I wasn't aware that the UIL got a portion of the gate receipts. I had never heard that, and I've been on friendly terms with a number of coaches.
It is good for the schools, because it helps them make more money for athletics, but yes, I believe it does water it down somewhat. We already have some 3-7 teams in the mix.
As for Alaniz, he signed a national letter of intent yesterday to go to UT on a baseball scholarship. Baylor offered both baseball and football. He also visited A&M, LSU, and Arizona. He liked UT's baseball program better than the rest. He has a very good shot at going pro in baseball. He doesn't think he could in football. There is a story on it at www.caller.com (http://www.caller.com) .
Yes, I was at the regional championship last year, and it was a great game. You guys also had a good team. That was probably the best game we had all year (excluding the final). I will probably be at Tomball Friday night wearing my Sinton Pirate cap. Sinton plays Saturday afternoon, so gives me a chance to catch another game. I'm only 9-10 miles north of there. Best of luck against Giddings, and we'll see yall Friday nite.

<small>[ November 14, 2002, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Hey 66 are you going to sit on the Bellville side? We will look for you, have your Sinton stuff on, And I will be in Red and white, see if you can find me!!

sinton66
11-14-2002, 07:10 PM
Hmmmm, I'll bet you won't be the only one wearing red and white. I will be wearing my maroon Pirate cap, and will try to be on the Bellville side. Good luck to the Brahmas.

VWG
11-14-2002, 11:09 PM
I know that the UIL is considering 6 classifications and are currently doing a study on it. One of the major obstacles if they add a 6A is travel costs. Take a look at East Texas and their 5A teams that might go 6A. Not many.... maybe one or two at the most. Same thing for West Texas. Maybe one or two from El Paso, one from Amarillo, two from Midland/Odessa, etc... What district would be formed for a 6A class in these areas? That is the biggest stumbling block.

Brahma73
11-14-2002, 11:27 PM
VWG:
I know that the UIL is considering 6 classifications and are currently doing a study on it. One of the major obstacles if they add a 6A is travel costs. Take a look at East Texas and their 5A teams that might go 6A. Not many.... maybe one or two at the most. Same thing for West Texas. Maybe one or two from El Paso, one from Amarillo, two from Midland/Odessa, etc... What district would be formed for a 6A class in these areas? That is the biggest stumbling block.You make an excellent point. My wife is a school administrator and she assures me that this is a real problem. I'm still not one who is convinced that we need D1 & D2. I just don't believe that year after year the 1's are always superior to the 2's. If this is true (and that's my opinion), why the 2 divisions????? 5 classes w/ 2 teams from each would probably give us the same state champs. As I said before, the 5 D2 winners this year will all be confident they can play with the D1 winners, and many of them will be right. WHY????????!!!!!!!!

ElMeroMero
11-15-2002, 12:10 AM
I think it was Matthew who said 7 divisions would work out even better.

pegleg
11-15-2002, 10:12 AM
The UIL has rejected the 6 classification idea and instead is going to restructure the way they break down the classifications so there is not so wide an attendence spread, particullarly in 3A.

Also, the idea is to increase the number of teams in 5A and send 4 team to the playoffs in 5A only.