PDA

View Full Version : Big XII vs SEC

TheDOCTORdre
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I keep hearing about how the SEC is head and shoulders above the Big XII so I did some research so we could see how historically they've stacked up against each other. Since 98 until last year the record stands at SEC 20 is 20-17-0. And when you look back the the Big XII's predeccesors the Big 8, the SEC is 43-43-6.

If you look at bowl wins, the SEC is 15-9.

*All these records go through the end of last season

Mojado
10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
This is fixing to get ugly Doc... :D :D :D

Old Tiger
10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Are you using 1998 as the start of the BCS era?

Mojado
10-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Been waiting for you to get here Tiger...:D

BTownVBall3
10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
If anyone really thinks that florida and bama and whoever else in the sec would just wipe the floor with a texas or oklahoma caliber team I think you're sadly mistaken and we'll find out soon. Love when people from and have lived in texas their entire lives yet they are bias of the sec or big 10. You're not in junior high anymore, you're not cool because you support some random school, figure it out. And for those with ties to the out of state team they support, this does not apply to you.

NastySlot
10-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I am one of the posters that post the SEC is a better conference....but my arguement is that week in week out the games in SEC are battle....equal to Texas/OU........those rivalries are old...the passion of the fans is intense and that carries over to the field of play........I believe with a one shot game anybody could play SEC teams tough and maybe even win......Utah last season.............my arguement is that there SEC is no weak conference and the games are a lot tougher and physical....I seen enough SEC games (live) to know the speed and game is different. I think Texas could compete well........but IMO they would average 2-3 losses a season. Cause they would have to go on real road games......no more 25-50 % stadiums full of horn fans on the road........Travel also wears on teams.

The Big XII is weak.......you have Texas and OU and then the rest.
The SEC you battle every week if you survive you have to play in a real conference title game........ Texas is about to walk through the south division and play who Kansas or K-State to get to BCS title game.

Old Tiger
10-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I am one of the posters that post the SEC is a better conference....but my arguement is that week in week out the games in SEC are battle....equal to Texas/OU........those rivalries are old...the passion of the fans is intense and that carries over to the field of play........I believe with a one shot game anybody could play SEC teams tough and maybe even win......Utah last season.............my arguement is that there SEC is no weak conference and the games are a lot tougher and physical....I seen enough SEC games (live) to know the speed and game is different. I think Texas could compete well........but IMO they would average 2-3 losses a season. Cause they would have to go on real road games......no more 25-50 % stadiums full of horn fans on the road........Travel also wears on teams.

The Big XII is weak.......you have Texas and OU and then the rest.
The SEC you battle every week if you survive you have to play in a real conference title game........ Texas is about to walk through the south division and play who Kansas or K-State to get to BCS title game. I understand what you are saying but a team like Florida should not "battle" with a 3-5 Mississippi State team...thats my only argument.

Mojado
10-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BTownVBall3
If anyone really thinks that florida and bama and whoever else in the sec would just wipe the floor with a texas or oklahoma caliber team I think you're sadly mistaken and we'll find out soon. Love when people from and have lived in texas their entire lives yet they are bias of the sec or big 10. You're not in junior high anymore, you're not cool because you support some random school, figure it out. And for those with ties to the out of state team they support, this does not apply to you.

Relax man... I NEVER said that Florida or Bama would wipe the the floor with anyone.

My point is and has been that playing in the SEC week to week is tougher than any other conference and it takes its toll.

I realize I'm not in Jr. High. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes I live in Texas... Grad of Gator Nation '90

If your quote was not intended for me then I apologize. I thought this was friendly banter...

:D :D :D

Mojado
10-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I understand what you are saying but a team like Florida should not "battle" with a 3-5 Mississippi State team...thats my only argument.

Why not???

Because Miss St. is percieved as the Aggies of the SEC???

Every week in the SEC any team can win... Can't say that anywhere else...

Move The Chains
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Mojado

Nice low blow there.

BTownVBall3
10-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Well clearly graduating from there would qualify as having tie to the program. .therefore wasn't talking about you. And ill have to disagree with game speed. I've been to many lsu games in baton rouge along with many games in austin. The elite teams have the speed regardless of the conference. If anything I'd say Texas has way more hybrid type players that posses more speed than the beefy sec lines on both sides of the ball.

Old Tiger
10-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Why not???

Every week in the SEC any team can win... Can't say that anywhere else... That same logic could be said for any conference and not just the SEC.

Why should they not struggle against a 3-5 team you ask? Because its a 3-5 team that ranks 65 in total defense and 63 in total defense while Florida ranks #1 in total defense and #8 in total offense.

No one should get a free pass on any close game where they played like crap.

Mojado
10-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Big 12 is a good conference and will usually play for a nat championship...

This thread will go nowhere...

Nice job Doc!!!

:D :D :D :D

SintonPirateFan
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
the Big XII is better because (place random stats here) and anyone who disagrees with me is a stupidface.

Move The Chains
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
That same logic could be said for any conference and not just the SEC.

Why should they not struggle against a 3-5 team you ask? Because its a 3-5 team that ranks 65 in total defense and 63 in total defense while Florida ranks #1 in total defense and #8 in total offense.

No one should get a free pass on any close game where they played like crap. I think playin "like crap" but still winning is over-emphasized.

You have to realize, when teams play OU, Texas, UF, Bama, USC, LSU, tOSU, etc those teams gave the "tod dogs" everything they've got.

Those teams get to see the best of what every other team has to offer.

I think a W is a W.

I say let the records play it out. This is why we need a playoff.

NastySlot
10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I understand what you are saying but a team like Florida should not "battle" with a 3-5 Mississippi State team...thats my only argument.

yeah I can't make excuses for those teams that barely win games that look like should be blow outs.........but remember Florida, Alabama and teams like Texas and USC bring out the best of players when they get thier shot at them.

All teams struggle.........IMO Texas was and is ten times better then OU but struggled to win with "style points"....but I appreciated the defense by both teams.

I'm not trying to bash the Big XII...but I just believe the SEC isn't just better the BIG XII....I feel the SEC is the best football conference in the country....some conference has to be.

my arguement is no different from the arguements on this board that one region plays better football the others and other stronger teams from other regions would struggle to win.

Mojado
10-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
the Big XII is better because (place random stats here) and anyone who disagrees with me is a stupidface.

This is the best statement of the week!!!!!!!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTownVBall3
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Never was it even remotely said that the big XII is better than the sec. All that is being said is that sec isn't going to have a cakewalk in the national championship regardless to who they're playing.

Old Tiger
10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
yeah I can't make excuses for those teams that barely win games that look like should be blow outs.........but remember Florida, Alabama and teams like Texas and USC bring out the best of players when they get thier shot at them.

All teams struggle.........IMO Texas was and is ten times better then OU but struggled to win with "style points"....but I appreciated the defense by both teams.

I'm not trying to bash the Big XII...but I just believe the SEC isn't just better the BIG XII....I feel the SEC is the best football conference in the country....some conference has to be.

my arguement is no different from the arguements on this board that one region plays better football the others and other stronger teams from other regions would struggle to win. Its like Mack said in a press conference if it was two SEC teams the media would be saying that Texas/OU game was a great defensive struggle but because they are not the media portrays it as struggling.

BTownVBall3
10-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Unless its iowa

SintonPirateFan
10-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Never was it even remotely said that the big XII is better than the sec. All that is being said is that sec isn't going to have a cakewalk in the national championship regardless to who they're playing.

just having a little fun. i only picked the Big XII cus i'm a Horns fan. my wife is a Tennessee Vol fan....she was ready to make their kicker a steer Saturday.

Pendragon13
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
The "best conference in the nation" seems to change hands from year to year. Last year it was the Big12 (even though the wrong team was chosen to represent us in the NC game) and this year it looks to be the SEC. However that doesn't mean that every SEC team is head and shoulders above top teams from other conferences..

BTownVBall3
10-26-2009, 01:47 PM
The kicker was timid with his approach but you can't really place the blame on him. Especially on the 2nd kick.

playnhurt
10-26-2009, 01:49 PM
The Big 12 schools have fewer rivalry games. ex. Texas-OU, Texas-Texas A&M, who else does Texas have that they would consider a rivalry. When they don't play one of those two its almost like a week off, they know they're going to win. You can win in the Big 12 with your "B" game.

The SEC is full of rival games. Everyone hates each other. ex. LSU-Bama, LSU-Ole Miss, LSU-Florida, LSU-Auburn, LSU-Georgia, LSU-Ark, etc. , there are no weeks off when playing another SEC team. If you don't bring your "A" game every week you might get beat.

NastySlot
10-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
The "best conference in the nation" seems to change hands from year to year. Last year it was the Big12 (even though the wrong team was chosen to represent us in the NC game) and this year it looks to be the SEC. However that doesn't mean that every SEC team is head and shoulders above top teams from other conferences..

you think the big xii was the best last season.......you are right the wrong team represented....should have been texas.

ou trashed missouri again in the title game....and if i remember right so did texas..........again you have texas and ou and the rest.

Yoefan11
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM
:iagree: everyone expects Big XII games to be shootouts because of last season, I think the media is failing to realize just how tough the defenses of Texas, and OU really are this season. I think Texas' defense is as good if not better than any defense in the SEC this year.

That being said...SEC is the better conference top to bottom....

Move The Chains
Originally posted by playnhurt
The Big 12 schools have fewer rivalry games. ex. Texas-OU, Texas-Texas A&M, who else does Texas have that they would consider a rivalry. When they don't play one of those two its almost like a week off, they know they're going to win. You can win in the Big 12 with your "B" game.

The SEC is full of rival games. Everyone hates each other. ex. LSU-Bama, LSU-Ole Miss, LSU-Florida, LSU-Auburn, LSU-Georgia, LSU-Ark, etc. , there are no weeks off when playing another SEC team. If you don't bring your "A" game every week you might get beat. Right, because UF played their "a" game and so did Bama.

Sure looked like they played their "c" games and still won.

SintonPirateFan

The SEC is full of rival games. Everyone hates each other. ex. LSU-Bama, LSU-Ole Miss, LSU-Florida, LSU-Auburn, LSU-Georgia, LSU-Ark, etc. , there are no weeks off when playing another SEC team. If you don't bring your "A" game every week you might get beat.

I would say the Big XII South is a lot like the SEC--especially lately with Tech and OSU improving. Only difference is the SEC is conference-wide. Big XII doesn't have much going on in the North.

LE Dad
10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Texas is about to walk through the south division and play who Kansas or K-State to get to BCS title game. :clap: :clap: ALL DAY LONG!! :clap: :clap:

:cool:

Old Tiger
10-26-2009, 02:03 PM

Big 12 Rivalries

Baylor - Texas A&M
Colorado - Nebraska
Iowa State - Missouri
Kansas - Kansas State
Kansas - Missouri
Missouri - Nebraska
Missouri - Oklahoma
Nebraska - Oklahoma
Oklahoma - Oklahoma State
Oklahoma - Texas
Texas A&M - Texas
Texas Tech - Texas
Texas Tech - Texas A&M

Mojado
10-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Big 12 Rivalries

Baylor - Texas A&M
Colorado - Nebraska
Iowa State - Missouri
Kansas - Kansas State
Kansas - Missouri
Missouri - Nebraska
Missouri - Oklahoma
Nebraska - Oklahoma
Oklahoma - Oklahoma State
Oklahoma - Texas
Texas A&M - Texas
Texas Tech - Texas
Texas Tech - Texas A&M

I'll give you TX/OU...TX/Ags...OU/OSU...

All other are laughable... Mizzu/KU cannot compare to, let's say LSU/Auburn

bandera7
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
There are very few who would actually argue that the Big 12 is better this year. However, the main argument is that the SEC is not as much better as many seem to believe it is. The fact is, Miss St. should not have been in that game. Tenn shouldnt have been in the Bama game. Five years ago maybe but not right now. And yet they both were. And for some reason they are not docked points at all for this, yet Texas was for beating OU. The SEC is not that much better that they dont get docked for struggling against a bottom team. That is the argument, not that the Big 12 is better.

Old Tiger
10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Mojado in its time Nebraska/Oklahoma was the premier rivalry in all of college football and they played in a game dubbed "Game of the Century"

I just posted that list of rivalries because someone said that their are not many rivalries in the big 12 which isn't true at all.

Mojado
10-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
There are very few who would actually argue that the Big 12 is better this year. However, the main argument is that the SEC is not as much better as many seem to believe it is. The fact is, Miss St. should not have been in that game. Tenn shouldnt have been in the Bama game. Five years ago maybe but not right now. And yet they both were. And for some reason they are not docked points at all for this, yet Texas was for beating OU. The SEC is not that much better that they dont get docked for struggling against a bottom team. That is the argument, not that the Big 12 is better.

No argument from me... just stating my OPINION that you are wrong and the SEC IS a much better conference.:D

Mojado
10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Mojado in its time Nebraska/Oklahoma was the premier rivalry in all of college football and they played in a game dubbed "Game of the Century"

I just posted that list of rivalries because someone said that their are not many rivalries in the big 12 which isn't true at all.

In it's time ... You are correct Tiger!!!

big daddy russ
10-26-2009, 07:13 PM
And I'd agree. Still think the SEC is better, but not because I think anyone in the SEC could wipe the floor with UT or OU.

And I never got that memo back in junior high. Actually, I don't think any of my friends knew anything about Auburn until later on. Rooting for Auburn wasn't cool 15 years ago. I don't think it's cool now (especially after these last three games). It probably won't be cool in the future. But for some crazy reason, I can't pull myself away.

You told me to figure it out. Will you help me?

sinton66
10-26-2009, 07:30 PM
How soon we all forget. Just a few short years ago, the media was labelling USC "the greatest college football team ever". If you listen to the "media", you're a fool IMO. There's a reason the AP poll isn't a part of the BCS anymore.

TheDOCTORdre
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
SEC's offenses suck and then the defenses get credit for being great:stirpot:

PPHSfan
10-27-2009, 01:33 AM
I'll give you TX/OU...TX/Ags...OU/OSU...

All other are laughable... Mizzu/KU cannot compare to, let's say LSU/Auburn

LOL

Mizzu/KU goes back before the civil war. That is the most hated rivalry in football.
You should read some history.

Mojado
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
LOL

Mizzu/KU goes back before the civil war. That is the most hated rivalry in football.
You should read some history.

Most hated rivalry in football... Agree, because the game sucks and nobody wants to watch it... LOL

We're not talking history douche, we're talking about now...

Maybe I should read some history, but I'd rather stick a knife through my eye...

Tx Challenge
10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
And I'd agree. Still think the SEC is better, but not because I think anyone in the SEC could wipe the floor with UT or OU.

And I never got that memo back in junior high. Actually, I don't think any of my friends knew anything about Auburn until later on. Rooting for Auburn wasn't cool 15 years ago. I don't think it's cool now (especially after these last three games). It probably won't be cool in the future. But for some crazy reason, I can't pull myself away.

You told me to figure it out. Will you help me?

LOL, Since you do such a great job n the 3a top 25 BDR, I find it in my heart to forgive you for being an Auburn fan:D :D :D

I agree the SEC is top to bottom the best conference this year. That is not saying anything negative. Sure other teams might beat the SEC best this year, Still does not change the conference as a whole, or the fact that they have fans here. I will stick with my SEC roots! War Eagle:D :D

LE Dad
10-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I'd rather stick a knife through my eye... or better yet watch LSU struggle against Auburn. You better get 2 knives and turn the volume down.:doh:

:rolleyes:

Tx Challenge
10-27-2009, 10:43 PM
LSU just might give Bama a game

big daddy russ
10-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
LSU just might give Bama a game
LSU has the talent and the speed. Hell, they may be the fastest team I've seen all year.

Is it just me, or are we slowing down as the year goes on? I have the LaTech, MS St., WVU, Tenn, Ark, UK, and LSU games saved on my DVR. I went back and looked and it sure seemed like there was a huge difference from the WVU game to the UK game.

Mojado
10-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
or better yet watch LSU struggle against Auburn. You better get 2 knives and turn the volume down.:doh:

Still beats the hell outa watching Baylor /Colorado... I still don't get your comment but then again...never mind...:rolleyes:

big daddy russ
10-28-2009, 08:18 AM
or better yet watch LSU struggle against Auburn. You better get 2 knives and turn the volume down.:doh:

Trust me when I say that LSU didn't struggle. Not at all.

LE Dad
10-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Trust me when I say that LSU didn't struggle. Not at all. Oh but they will soon. The QB from Sulphur Springs combined with Gus Mahlzans offense is going to be fun to watch LSU deal with, unless your a Tiger fan.:D

Mojado
10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Oh but they will soon. The QB from Sulphur Springs combined with Gus Mahlzans offense is going to be fun to watch LSU deal with, unless your a Tiger fan.:D

LMAO... we're talking about the here and now... The whole conference will have to "deal" with it...Can someone pull the plug on this thread... It's going nowhere... Then again, great entertainment...:D

playnhurt
10-28-2009, 09:27 AM
On any given Saturday there are more matchups between SEC teams than Big 12 that are closer games because of the equality in the SEC. The Big 12's few elite teams usually blow out their conference opponents.

Which will be a better game to watch? The SEC championship or the Big 12 Championship games.

NastySlot
10-28-2009, 09:28 AM
On any given Saturday there are more matchups between SEC teams than Big 12 that are closer games because of the equality in the SEC. The Big 12's few elite teams usually blow out their conference opponents.

Which will be a better game to watch? The SEC championship or the Big 12 Championship games.

hands down the SEC (IMO).

there have only been a few big xii championships worth watching.......the first one may have been the best.........tex/neb....a&m/k-state.......anyone got any others?

JasperDog94
10-28-2009, 09:36 AM

there have only been a few big xii championships worth watching.......the first one may have been the best.........tex/neb....a&m/k-state.......anyone got any others? I would argue that the Red River Rivalry has basically been the Big XII Championship...excluding last year of course. The North just hasn't been very strong for a long time which has caused a somewhat lackluster buildup to the championship game.

NastySlot
10-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I would argue that the Red River Rivalry has basically been the Big XII Championship...excluding last year of course. The North just hasn't been very strong for a long time which has caused a somewhat lackluster buildup to the championship game.

not trying to bash your opinion........but it kind of confirms why I feel the big xii is weaker the SEC.........i've said it for a while the Big XII is Texas OU and then everybody else.

and I not a horn or a sooner fan..........I'm an aggie....but the truth is the truth.........Texas and OU......have no comp. in conference.

BreckTxLonghorn
10-28-2009, 09:58 AM

there have only been a few big xii championships worth watching.......the first one may have been the best.........tex/neb....a&m/k-state.......anyone got any others?

Texas/Colorado 2001. Simms spotted the Buffs more than a few points, Major led the team back. D couldn't hold when necessary, kicker missed a big FG. CU wins - Texas would have gone to the NC had they won....

formercougar18
10-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I would say the conferences have both had superiority since the BCS began.....But i your talking about the past three years then no one on this thread can argue that the SEC has not dominated the rest of the country when it comes to Football. The SEC has won the last three national Championships and it's because their just plain better than any other team you put in front of them. Whether their from the Big 10 or Big 12. If you put miss State,Tennessee, or South Carolina in the big 12 i can almost guarantee you that they go to the Big 12 championship and possibly beat Texas. I had the highest hopes for UT this year, but they just aren't as good as they were last year. Only beating OU by 3 is not impressive at all, OU is not even good this year when their playing lights out, and they played crappy in that game. LSU, Florida, and Alabama wouldn't even be touched by a big 12 team. I do however think that Texas is the team with the best chances to beat a SEC team in the championship. My whole family is from Louisiana so don't even say i dont know what im talking about. THe SEC championship might as well be the National championship, because someone from the SEC will win it again this year, probably against Texas because the big 12 is awful this year. I am not impressed with any teams outside of the SEC. I would rather watch a South Carolina vs. Ole Miss game then even watch a Big 12 game this year, because i have no idea who is going to win. Every game in the SEC is a struggle, and you have no idea who is going to come out on top. I will admit i was entertained in the UT vs OU game, but that was possibly one of the ugliest football games i have ever watched. If somehow Texas win's the national championship then you talk to me about being wrong, but it hasnt happened in the past three years, and i dont expect it to happen this year.

TheDOCTORdre
10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by formercougar18
I would say the conferences have both had superiority since the BCS began.....But i your talking about the past three years then no one on this thread can argue that the SEC has not dominated the rest of the country when it comes to Football. The SEC has won the last three national Championships and it's because their just plain better than any other team you put in front of them. Whether their from the Big 10 or Big 12. If you put miss State,Tennessee, or South Carolina in the big 12 i can almost guarantee you that they go to the Big 12 championship and possibly beat Texas. I had the highest hopes for UT this year, but they just aren't as good as they were last year. Only beating OU by 3 is not impressive at all, OU is not even good this year when their playing lights out, and they played crappy in that game. LSU, Florida, and Alabama wouldn't even be touched by a big 12 team. I do however think that Texas is the team with the best chances to beat a SEC team in the championship. My whole family is from Louisiana so don't even say i dont know what im talking about. THe SEC championship might as well be the National championship, because someone from the SEC will win it again this year, probably against Texas because the big 12 is awful this year. I am not impressed with any teams outside of the SEC. I would rather watch a South Carolina vs. Ole Miss game then even watch a Big 12 game this year, because i have no idea who is going to win. Every game in the SEC is a struggle, and you have no idea who is going to come out on top. I will admit i was entertained in the UT vs OU game, but that was possibly one of the ugliest football games i have ever watched. If somehow Texas win's the national championship then you talk to me about being wrong, but it hasnt happened in the past three years, and i dont expect it to happen this year.

You base what you know on the fact that your family is from Louisians? And that validates your opinion how? The past three years the wrong team has played for the NC, Ohio State???? I think SEC and Big XII teams alike can agree that tOSU teams that have played against ya'll were way overrated. Last year Florida was ten pts better than OU and so was Texas, yet because of a stupid tie breaker OU got into to play Florida, wrong team again. Where as I am not saying that the Big XII is better than the SEC, I am saying that the top of the Big XII (Texas) is better than the top of the SEC whether it be UF, Bama, or LSU. Out of all for of those teams listed Texas is by far he most complete team, I would knowmy whole family is from Texas. UT/OU was the exact same game as Tenn/Bama, yet because it was in the SEC its supposed to be an impressive defensive battle while the Red River shootout is ugly??? I don't get it, and I guarantee you this, OU without Bradford would mop the floor with Tennessee, and yet we should be impressed with Bama, give me a break. Florida probably should be the best team in the lnd hands down, but they've gotten Tebow happy and are running the offense way to much through him, he is gonna wear down by he end of the season if they keep on doing that and any team that meets them are gonna know you stop Tebow then the gameplan is shot. LSU is a mystery to me I think they very well maybe the best team in the SEC if they can play like they should, they perhaps could end up in the NC (run the table and win the SEC championship w/ a lost to Florida isnt a bad resume) SC from top to bottom is better but the SEC isnt gonna have a cake walk in the NC, if you believe that then maybe you should start watching the games:D

eagleqb_14
10-28-2009, 04:42 PM
maybe if OU could win a bowl game we would look better:D :D :D :D

Diocletian
10-28-2009, 08:00 PM
A one loss SEC team plays in the Title game and wins.

A one loss Big 12 team would never get the chance to.

I think it's kind of BS too, the Big 12 has just as much NFL talent as the Pac 10 and the SEC....we just don't have the coaching....and in NCAA that makes a hell of a differnce.

big daddy russ
10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I keep hearing about how the SEC is head and shoulders above the Big XII so I did some research so we could see how historically they've stacked up against each other. Since 98 until last year the record stands at SEC 20 is 20-17-0. And when you look back the the Big XII's predeccesors the Big 8, the SEC is 43-43-6.

If you look at bowl wins, the SEC is 15-9.

*All these records go through the end of last season
Sorry everyone, I forgot to throw this in there. Just to add fuel to the flame.

SEC BOWL TIE-INS

Of course, the past three years, the SEC has sent someone to the National Championship. And each time, they won. So on that note...

BCS Championship
SEC #1 vs. BCS #1/#2 ;)

Sugar Bowl
SEC #1 (in this case, they usually get SEC #2 because #1's in the title game) vs. BCS

Capital One Bowl (Citrus Bowl)
SEC #3 vs. Big Ten #2

Cotton Bowl
SEC Western Conf. (basically #4-5... they just choose from the rest of the SEC West) vs. Big XII #2

Outback Bowl
SEC Eastern Conf. (basically #4-5... they just choose from the rest of the SEC East) vs. Big Ten #3

Chick-Fil-A Bowl (Peach Bowl)
SEC #6 vs. ACC #2

Music City Bowl
SEC #7-8 vs. ACC #5-7

Liberty Bowl
SEC #7-8 vs. C-USA #1

Independence Bowl
SEC #9 vs. Big XII #7

Papajohns.com Bowl
SEC #10 vs. Big East #5

Hmmm. :thinking:

Is it just me, or do the matchups seem a bit lopsided? Somehow, the SEC still has a winning bowl record. Crazy stuff.

formercougar18
10-29-2009, 12:01 AM
So your saying texas is more impressive than LSU, Bama, and Florida? Texas played a sucky OU team, was losing to Colorado at half, was beating wyoming by 3 at half, and had to beat the overrated Ohio state last year within two minutes last year? And texas was even more complete last year. I guess i will have to wait to prove my point at the end of the year, when the SEC wins the National Championship, regardless of who it is, and another SEC wins another BCS bowl game.

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Most hated rivalry in football... Agree, because the game sucks and nobody wants to watch it... LOL

We're not talking history douche, we're talking about now...

Maybe I should read some history, but I'd rather stick a knife through my eye...

LOL, Did you call me a Douche?

That's funny coming from a wet-back.

IHStangFan
10-29-2009, 12:54 AM
LOL, Did you call me a Douche?

That's funny coming from a wet-back. LOL...what's funny is he'll get banned and nobody will say anything to you about your racial slur. I love the DL!! :clap:

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL...what's funny is he'll get banned and nobody will say anything to you about your racial slur. I love the DL!! :clap:

I didn't make a racial slur.

His name is Mojado, which translates in Spanish to Wetback.

Mojado
10-29-2009, 09:09 AM

His name is Mojado, which translates in Spanish to Wetback.

OK, just saw this, It's LULAC time!!!

Nah...no big deal...I did call him a douche...:D

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 09:10 AM

His name is Mojado, which translates in Spanish to Wetback. :eek: :eek: :eek:

SintonPirateFan
10-29-2009, 09:12 AM
actually the literal translation is just "wet".

Mojado
10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL...what's funny is he'll get banned and nobody will say anything to you about your racial slur. I love the DL!! :clap:

???

You love the DL because of racism??? Wow...Is it in full force in here or just in your home town??? I may ban myself...:thinking:

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 09:25 AM
???

You love the DL because of racism??? Wow...Is it in full force in here or just in your home town??? I may ban myself...:thinking: No, no! He was being sarcastic. It was not intended toward you.:)

themsu97
10-29-2009, 09:29 AM
. If you put miss State,Tennessee, or South Carolina in the big 12 i can almost guarantee you that they go to the Big 12 championship and possibly beat Texas. LSU, Florida, and Alabama wouldn't even be touched by a big 12 team. I do however think that Texas is the team with the best chances to beat a SEC team in the championship. My whole family is from Louisiana so don't even say i dont know what im talking about. THe SEC championship might as well be the National championship, because someone from the SEC will win it again this year, probably against Texas because the big 12 is awful this year. I am not impressed with any teams outside of the SEC. I would rather watch a South Carolina vs. Ole Miss game then even watch a Big 12 game this year, because i have no idea who is going to win. Every game in the SEC is a struggle, and you have no idea who is going to come out on top. I will admit i was entertained in the UT vs OU game, but that was possibly one of the ugliest football games i have ever watched. If somehow Texas win's the national championship then you talk to me about being wrong, but it hasnt happened in the past three years, and i dont expect it to happen this year.

how old are you? try taking up a career as a comedian with some of that material, I spewed drink everywhere... some of this is the most entertaining stuff I have ever read... Tennessee in the Big 12 championship? well I guess if they were in the North okay... but they would get wiped by Texas and OU... Tennessee is not very good and they should have beat Alabama...South Carolina is even funnier...
as for the SEC championship... if not for questionable officiating that is what the SEC wanted... Florida escaped Arkansas with help, the same Arkansas team that backed out of playing TExas... forcing Texas to play UL- Monroe, not to mention Wisconsin backing out forcing Texas to play Wyoming... but that is neither here nor there...

bottom line is that Florida or Alabama could very well win the National Title, but they are not head and shoulders above Texas... this years game should be great...

Mojado
10-29-2009, 09:30 AM
No, no! He was being sarcastic. It was not intended toward you.:)

Cool! Dropped, now back to how horrible the Big 12 is compared to the SEC!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Mojado
10-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by themsu97

bottom line is that Florida or Alabama could very well win the National Title, but they are not head and shoulders above Texas... this years game should be great...

When the this thread started we were talking about the conference as a whole. I firmly agree with your statement. But if you put Tenny and SoCar in the Big 12, well then how much better would it be than having Baylor and Colorado???

themsu97
10-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Baylor with Griffin and Briles hopefully will turn the corner... I was hoping that Hawkins would do the same for Colorado but it just has not happened... same with Pellini at Nebraska...

I would love to see TCU and Houston move in but I doubt it...

Vandy, Miss St. and others are bad as well

LE Dad
10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Cool! Dropped, now back to how horrible the Big 12 is compared to the SEC!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Back to Fantasy Land:evilgrin: in other words :dispntd: :dispntd:

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
Baylor with Griffin and Briles hopefully will turn the corner... I was hoping that Hawkins would do the same for Colorado but it just has not happened... same with Pellini at Nebraska...

I would love to see TCU and Houston move in but I doubt it...

Vandy, Miss St. and others are bad as well

yeah maybe tech, texas, a&m and even baylor should bolt from the big xii and add houston and tcu and smu. then texas could win that conference regularly...........we can even call it the LONE STAR (texas) Conference.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 10:56 AM
So your saying texas is more impressive than LSU, Bama, and Florida? Texas played a sucky OU team, was losing to Colorado at half, was beating wyoming by 3 at half, and had to beat the overrated Ohio state last year within two minutes last year? And texas was even more complete last year. I guess i will have to wait to prove my point at the end of the year, when the SEC wins the National Championship, regardless of who it is, and another SEC wins another BCS bowl game.

Florida struggled to beat a team worse than OU in Mississippi State, needed the refs to beat Arkansas (if thats not true why were those refs suspended a week after) it could have something to do with the fact that those same officials helped LSU beat Georgia with a bogus call(a Georgia team that was beaten by one of those inferior defenses of the Big XII in Ok State) And then once again the UT/OU game and Tenn/Bama game is different how? Its the exact same game except that OU is better than Tenn and somehow Bama is praised for beating a sucky team, they perservered, what a joke, and they only beat them by 2...Impressive. Like I said wait and see the SEC is better and more competetive from top to bottom but that may just be because the top isnt as strong as you think

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
OK, just saw this, It's LULAC time!!!

LULAC makes me laugh, i think they're a joke and I'm latino

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Florida struggled to beat a team worse than OU in Mississippi State, needed the refs to beat Arkansas (if thats not true why were those refs suspended a week after) it could have something to do with the fact that those same officials helped LSU beat Georgia with a bogus call(a Georgia team that was beaten by one of those inferior defenses of the Big XII in Ok State) And then once again the UT/OU game and Tenn/Bama game is different how? Its the exact same game except that OU is better than Tenn and somehow Bama is praised for beating a sucky team, they perservered, what a joke, and they only beat them by 2...Impressive. Like I said wait and see the SEC is better and more competetive from top to bottom but that may just be because the top isnt as strong as you think

you have nothing to back the big xii is stronger.....step back take a look..unbias..look...the big xii is weak..........try this if you put texas in the SEC they would do well ...but they would average two-three losses a year.........many factors why.......like taking true road games....having to play the game at a high level week in week out...no rest for the injuried....cause there aren't any easy ones.....Arkansas has done well in the SEC ....and used to be a top two team in SWC......Texas and OU would do well ...the others would struggle......in one game shots anybody could beat anybody....Boise State/OU.....Utah/Bama.....but it's like people always ask would Boise be good in a different conference...would Texas be good....I say yes....would they walk through it no....muschump and brown know the SEC.....and they don't want any part of that week in week out or they would take their service to it.

Old Tiger
10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! HOLLA!

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 11:17 AM
you have nothing to back the big xii is stronger.....step back take a look..unbias..look...the big xii is weak..........try this if you put texas in the SEC they would do well ...but they would average two-three losses a year.........many factors why.......like taking true road games....having to play the game at a high level week in week out...no rest for the injuried....cause there aren't any easy ones.....Arkansas has done well in the SEC ....and used to be a top two team in SWC......Texas and OU would do well ...the others would struggle......in one game shots anybody could beat anybody....Boise State/OU.....Utah/Bama.....but it's like people always ask would Boise be good in a different conference...would Texas be good....I say yes....would they walk through it no....muschump and brown know the SEC.....and they don't want any part of that week in week out or they would take their service to it.

Whoa whoa I never even said in my post or any of my past posts that the Big XII is better did I ? In fact I said that overall the SEC was better annd more competetive. My contension through out this thread has been that Texas is better than the top 3 of the SEC.

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Whoa whoa I never even said in my post or any of my past posts that the Big XII is better did I ? In fact I said that overall the SEC was better annd more competetive. My contension through out this thread has been that Texas is better than the top 3 of the SEC.

Sorry maybe I'm getting confused with all the different post....and I understand what you are saying now....and I respect your opinion....don't agree...but I respect it....sometimes communicating on online is difficult to understand....at least for me.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry maybe I'm getting confused with all the different post....and I understand what you are saying now....and I respect your opinion....don't agree...but I respect it....sometimes communicating on online is difficult to understand....at least for me.

yeah i get what you mean especially if there has been a lot of posts between your last posts, so many different things to respond on a thread it can get crazy

SintonPirateFan
10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
i have the link that settles this argument.

SEC Stinks (http://loserswithsocks.com/2007/08/30/the-story-of-lsu-and-corndogs-reprint/)

Mojado
10-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
i have the link that settles this argument.
SEC Stinks (http://loserswithsocks.com/2007/08/30/the-story-of-lsu-and-corndogs-reprint/)

The argument will not be settled because there are 2 different arguments.

1) SEC IS a better conference from top to bottom... and

2) Texas is better than any 3 top SEC teams...

The first one is true and the second one is completely false!!!

:stirpot:

JasperDog94
10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
try this if you put texas in the SEC they would do well ...but they would average two-three losses a year........ This is complete speculation. You may believe this and you may be right, but the fact is we'll never know. So to use that in your argument is weak.

formercougar18
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
IF you use current performance so far this season, Alabama and Florida are both better. yes they have had close games, but they have been SEC games which if you think that the Big 12 is more competitive than the SEC then you are a complete moron. Regardless of what the referees did, it doesnt matter, a win is a win. Texas if probably better than LSU, but i would have to see them play. But there is nothing i have seen from Texas this year that anyone can say that they can beat Alabama or Florida. Colt McCoy has shown bad decision making, until this past week, which may be a turning point. But theres a reason that 3 BCS computers had texas ranked in double digits and one in the twenties. And that is that they have not performed, and have struggled with sucky teams.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 06:50 PM
IF you use current performance so far this season, Alabama and Florida are both better. yes they have had close games, but they have been SEC games which if you think that the Big 12 is more competitive than the SEC then you are a complete moron. Regardless of what the referees did, it doesnt matter, a win is a win. Texas if probably better than LSU, but i would have to see them play. But there is nothing i have seen from Texas this year that anyone can say that they can beat Alabama or Florida. Colt McCoy has shown bad decision making, until this past week, which may be a turning point. But theres a reason that 3 BCS computers had texas ranked in double digits and one in the twenties. And that is that they have not performed, and have struggled with sucky teams.

Tim Tebow has shown bad decision making too, whats your point about Colt? Tebow threw 2 pick 6s last week. As far as people beng morons, if you think the computer ranking hold water you must be a moron...unless you are willing to admit that Iowa is better than Florida and Bama, since the computers have them higher.

JasperDog94
10-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Regardless of what the referees did, it doesnt matter, a win is a win. Texas if probably better than LSU, but i would have to see them play. But there is nothing i have seen from Texas this year that anyone can say that they can beat Alabama or Florida. Wow. So if the refs blew some calls that cost a team a victory that means nothing to you? Whatever.:hand:

As far as Texas goes they like being the underdog. After all there was nothing anyone saw about Texas 4 years ago that made anyone think they could beat USC...and we know how that one turned out.

forum_guy
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
its funny this is a 4 page debate. It is plain and simple. The SEC is hands down better than the big 12 top to bottom and if you don't think so you are obviously a big 12 homer.

PPHSfan
10-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
its funny this is a 4 page debate. It is plain and simple. The SEC is hands down better than the big 12 top to bottom and if you don't think so you are obviously a big 12 homer.

The SEC is arguably better THIS year. But not every year.

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Wow. So if the refs blew some calls that cost a team a victory that means nothing to you? Whatever.:hand:

As far as Texas goes they like being the underdog. After all there was nothing anyone saw about Texas 4 years ago that made anyone think they could beat USC...and we know how that one turned out.

how did that turn out?????????? last team with the ball right....j/k

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 09:52 PM
This is complete speculation. You may believe this and you may be right, but the fact is we'll never know. So to use that in your argument is weak.

weak? the winner of the SEC is rarely undefeated.....a good texas team in the SEC would probably lose at least one division game and a cross over..........think about this texas had their toughest stretch in a schedule last season for the first time since the begining of the big xii......what was it ou, mizzou, tech and osu and went 3-1...two of those games were at home, one on the road and one neutral..........try playing...lsu, alabama, auburn then a cross over v. one of the following tenn, ga. or florida...heck they would have a hard time changing time zones playing at sc

texas would be good...and they would get better each week and even win the conference every once in a while...but wouldn't walk through it like they do the big xii now.

texas is good...not saying their not as good as florida or bama this year or any other year...but all the back patting and chest thumping the horns fans do now wouldn't happen as easy in a real conference....in the SEC texas would even get the respect from the media that everyone's always belly aching that they don't get now.

but you are right we'll never know how they would do....they chose to join a conference that was known as the big two and little six.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 10:00 PM
weak? the winner of the SEC is rarely undefeated.....a good texas team in the SEC would probably lose at least one division game and a cross over..........think about this texas had their toughest stretch in a schedule last season for the first time since the begining of the big xii......what was it ou, mizzou, tech and osu and went 3-1...two of those games were at home, one on the road and one neutral..........try playing...lsu, alabama, auburn then a cross over v. one of the following tenn, ga. or florida...heck they would have a hard time changing time zones playing at sc

texas would be good...and they would get better each week and even win the conference every once in a while...but wouldn't walk through it like they do the big xii now.

texas is good...not saying their not as good as florida or bama this year or any other year...but all the back patting and chest thumping the horns fans do now wouldn't happen as easy in a real conference....in the SEC texas would even get the respect from the media that everyone's always belly aching that they don't get now.

but you are right we'll never know how they would do....they chose to join a conference that was known as the big two and little six.

your reference to Texas playing a tough four game stretch last year and how it turned out was 3-1 against the #1, 6, 7 and 11 team in the country at the time, tell me when the last time an SEC team faced that stretch of teams who were ranked that high and then well talk, who cares if the are hated rivals, what does that have to do with team quality that they are playing? I in no way shape or form think Texas would run over the SEC but trying to compare UTs stretch to playing an SEC schedule is a stretch unless you can show me a time when an SEC team played a stretch equal to that,

NastySlot
10-29-2009, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
your reference to Texas playing a tough four game stretch last year and how it turned out was 3-1 against the #1, 6, 7 and 11 team in the country at the time, tell me when the last time an SEC team faced that stretch of teams who were ranked that high and then well talk, who cares if the are hated rivals, what does that have to do with team quality that they are playing? I in no way shape or form think Texas would run over the SEC but trying to compare UTs stretch to playing an SEC schedule is a stretch unless you can show me a time when an SEC team played a stretch equal to that, [/QUOTE

i think in the end those teams turned out to be over rated?

look at what those teams did against each other...and what they ended up doing at the end of the year...big xii got too much love in the rankings and in the end it was still texas the only worth a darn and did what got a last team with ball win against what ever one was calling an over rated ohio state...........i think they did that v. michigan one year to............ too many people have no clue about the SEC..

oh yeah a win is win...right...so last team with the ball or not...a win is win.

TheDOCTORdre
10-29-2009, 10:12 PM

i think in the end those teams turned out to be over rated?

look at what those teams did against each other...and what they ended up doing at the end of the year...big xii got too much love in the rankings and in the end it was still texas the only worth a darn and did what got a last team with ball win against what ever one was calling an over rated ohio state...........i think they did that v. michigan one year to............ too many people have no clue about the SEC..

oh yeah a win is win...right...so last team with the ball or not...a win is win. [/B]

I'm still wondering if you can show me where an SEC team went through the same stretch that Texas did and how they came out

NastySlot
10-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm still wondering if you can show me where an SEC team went through the same stretch that Texas did and how they came out

nah....i can't i guess.....so the big xii is better.................you win.

PPHSfan
10-30-2009, 03:17 AM

The winner of ANY division is RARELY undefeated.

Just because Texas managed a perfect season and a MNC a few years ago does not mean they WALK THROUGH the big 12 with ease.

This argument is lame.

NastySlot
10-30-2009, 08:31 AM
The winner of ANY division is RARELY undefeated.

Just because Texas managed a perfect season and a MNC a few years ago does not mean they WALK THROUGH the big 12 with ease.

This argument is lame.

lame cause texas is involved?????......im done with this topic.

Texas didn't walk through it with ease the National Title year?

isn't that the year they scored like a 100 in the big xii title game....or close to it.

who challanged them....was that the year of the bogus pass interference call in Kansas that sent Mangino off?...........Texas 's only challenge came at Columbus.

Texas is good OU is good everybody else average to below

formercougar18
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
ok yea Texas was supposed to lose to USC, but anyone who thinks that USC is ever legit is an idiot. The pac 10 is a girl conference, and they always lose to someone, like washington. No one on here who thinks the Big 12 has been better in the past four years is dumb to, look at the past three national champs, and this years top two teams. And if you think the computer rankings dont matter then your also not thinking. I disagree with this but the computers obviously are everything. They decide who plays in the championship and thats that.

JasperDog94
10-30-2009, 07:51 PM
how did that turn out?????????? last team with the ball right....j/k Actually USC was the last team with the ball. ;)

TheDOCTORdre
10-30-2009, 10:52 PM
And if you think the computer rankings dont matter then your also not thinking. I disagree with this but the computers obviously are everything. They decide who plays in the championship and thats that.

so is Iowa better than Bama and UF?