PDA

View Full Version : Football team wears pink....GREAT CAUSE!

Buckeye1980
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1001714

Great read ....brought tears to my eyes...but could never happen in Texas....thanks UIL!

From UIL Website

CHARITABLE CAUSE GUIDLINES

Schools may host a contest in recognition of a charitable cause under the following conditions:

The contest or competition may be held during any one week, to be determined by each individual school, of the designated sport season.
1. A commemorative ribbon of non-school color may be worn on the jersey or school-issued uniform. No jerseys or uniforms will be allowed that do not represent the school colors.
2. Team members may be allowed to wear headbands or wristbands of non-school colors.
3. Officials may be allowed to use a colored whistle.
4. Colored game balls will not be allowed, however they may be used during any warm-up period prior to the contest.

Gobbla2001
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I may piss some people off here but when have I ever given a crap?

I like breasts as much as anyone, but has anyone ever suited up for prostate cancer? do most people even know the color of that ribbon? I bet the majority of people would say "pink" is the color for breast cancer but wouldn't know the color of prostate cancer... it is blue, sharing the color with about 10 other causes while breast cancer is alone being represented by pink...

1-8 women get breast cancer, around 40k die a year...

1-6 men get prostate cancer, with around 30k dying a year...

I understand people wanting to do great things, but sometimes I think people just want to have people think how wonderful and caring they are, kinda stroke their ego, so they hop on popular causes...

not saying the people aren't wonderful and caring, I believe all of them are and it's awesome they do anything... but pay more attention to everything, not just one cause...

kaorder1999
10-26-2009, 01:21 PM
In Crandall, pink is in tonight

10:47 PM CDT on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - Dallas Morning News

Tonight's game between Crandall and Venus at Pirate Stadium will feature a football field painted pink as a tribute to women battling breast cancer.

Crandall's players will also wear pink jerseys, and the staff will wear pink shirts. The Crandall booster club has sold more than 1,700 pink T-shirts with proceeds going toward the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation.

"We didn't want to halfway do it," Crandall coach and athletic director Brian Barnett said. "It was a great opportunity to make a statement for our community that there are things much more important than football."

Buckeye1980
10-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I may piss some people off here but when have I ever given a crap?

I like breasts as much as anyone, but has anyone ever suited up for prostate cancer? do most people even know the color of that ribbon? I bet the majority of people would say "pink" is the color for breast cancer but wouldn't know the color of prostate cancer... it is blue, sharing the color with about 10 other causes while breast cancer is alone being represented by pink...

1-8 women get breast cancer, around 40k die a year...

1-6 men get prostate cancer, with around 30k dying a year...

I understand people wanting to do great things, but sometimes I think people just want to have people think how wonderful and caring they are, kinda stroke their ego, so they hop on popular causes...

not saying the people aren't wonderful and caring, I believe all of them are and it's awesome they do anything... but pay more attention to everything, not just one cause...

If you read the article , the was done for all cancer awareness

Pendragon13
10-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Wylie players have been wearing pink wrist/armbands since district started.

NastySlot
10-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1001714

Great read ....brought tears to my eyes...but could never happen in Texas....thanks UIL!

From UIL Website

CHARITABLE CAUSE GUIDLINES

Schools may host a contest in recognition of a charitable cause under the following conditions:

The contest or competition may be held during any one week, to be determined by each individual school, of the designated sport season.
1. A commemorative ribbon of non-school color may be worn on the jersey or school-issued uniform. No jerseys or uniforms will be allowed that do not represent the school colors.
2. Team members may be allowed to wear headbands or wristbands of non-school colors.
3. Officials may be allowed to use a colored whistle.
4. Colored game balls will not be allowed, however they may be used during any warm-up period prior to the contest.

is this for all sports...cause i've seen pictures of volleyball teams playing in pink uniforms in games that have been designated for cancer awareness........our volleyball coach had a picture of two schools from the dallas area.

kaorder1999
10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
is this for all sports...cause i've seen pictures of volleyball teams playing in pink uniforms in games that have been designated for cancer awareness........our volleyball coach had a picture of two schools from the dallas area.

i believe this is a new rule...

Emerson1
10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Crandall made a national story

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/news/story?id=4579561

any pics of this floating around? I think it was just the endzones so I assume it looked like Sweetwaters old endzones?

Gobbla2001
10-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
If you read the article , the was done for all cancer awareness

I read it, I understand that... that's awesome... but when people see a team or players wearing pink I'd suspect they think of breast cancer...

I mean how about pancreatic cancer? Over 42k people are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year... and over 35k die from it a year... only 5% of those diagnosed with pancreatic cancer are alive 5 years after being diagnosed...

Just saying, let's make people more aware of these others cancers/diseases that are just as deadly...

Breast cancer awareness just seems like the pc thing to plug... just just something that has always bugged me...

One day I want to get very popular or just get the word out to make some things happen... I want to have a boat donated to me in the name of a certain cancer/group of cancers... I want to take a 7-day straight fishing trip from Sabine Lake all the way to Port Isabel, fish every damn bay system along our section of the gulf-coast and blog about it with pictures of the fish I catch, or pictures of the water where the fish are that I'm not catching... betting it'd be the last one ;)

I'd like to get some badass Texas Musicians together excluding Kevin Fowler (unless I can't get anyone else) to play a show in PI the night I get back with all of the proceeds going to the cancer-deal of my choice... I then want to auction off the boat and give that money to the cancer-deal... I think that deep-pocketed people in the fishing community, esspecially the coastal fishing community, would like to have a boat that just fished every bay system from the LA/TX border all of the way down to the US/Mex border in 7 days without ever leaving the water...

or I may just be nuts...:D

it's just always been a dream of mind to do that (the texas bay system in 7 or so days)... then in a discussion with a friend I jokingly mentioned how cool it would be if someone were to donate me a badass boat to do it with... they'd be more willing to donate the boat to me if it were for a good cause...

WildTexan972
10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
wearing ribbons or blowin pink whistles has contributed just about absolutely NOTHING to folks getting cancer.....let's be real - we all know folks get cancer so none of us "think more about it" by seeing some pink around.....and almost nobody gives any extra money to the cause by seein pink.....

and besides - those breast cancer folks already raise so much money they live off the extra for makin ladies run in those races....

pink armbands have so far saved not 1 life since they passed that rule.....

Gobbla2001
10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
wearing ribbons or blowin pink whistles has contributed just about absolutely NOTHING to folks getting cancer.....let's be real - we all know folks get cancer so none of us "think more about it" by seeing some pink around.....and almost nobody gives any extra money to the cause by seein pink.....

and besides - those breast cancer folks already raise so much money they live off the extra for makin ladies run in those races....

pink armbands have so far saved not 1 life since they passed that rule.....

I will say I have seen people get together under the pink banner and raise money to cover medical expenses for breast cancer victims...

I will also say that if I am walking around NOT thinking about cancer and I see a Livestrong bracelet or a pink ribbon I will then think about cancer...

If I were in a giving mood one day, and I saw two people in the distance asking for money and one had a pink-ribbon by them and the other nothing by them I'd most-likely go to the pink-ribbon area because without even asking I knew about that cause...

Since all of these campaigns have begun and people were made more aware the death rate of women diagnosed with breast cancer has dropped a small percentage... I'd be willing to bet more women are going to the doctors for check-ups more often to get ahead of this thing, and I'm a lot of them go because they've been made more aware...

it would be unwise for businesses to stop advertising because advertising works... it only makes sense that the pink-ribbon deal/Livestrong has worked...

lulu
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
AWARENESS that's what it's all about;) And you just did your part.

SHSBulldog00
10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Last week we wore pink shoe laces.

catgut
10-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Wylie players have been wearing pink wrist/armbands since district started.
Paris has done the same thing.