PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville defeats Burnet for state championship

jdawg85
12-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Is anyone surprised by the outcome of the Burnet vs. Gainesville game?

SINTON81
12-14-2003, 01:13 AM
jdawg85:
Is anyone surprised by the outcome of the Burnet vs. Gainesville game?Not me. I had a feeling Gainesville was going to do it.

jdawg85
12-14-2003, 01:16 AM
Sinton81, have you seen Burnet or Gainesville play this year?

JaSpErBuLLdOgDrUmMeRGaL06
12-14-2003, 01:24 AM
I really hadn't seen or heard much of anything about how good of a team Gainesville had this year or how they played. Burnet seemed like a great team when we played them, which was a VERY close game, and I figured Burnet would have won because that's the main team I always heard about this season. Obviously, Gainesville came through though and proved what they were there for & what they wanted...good job to both teams & congrats Gainesville. Good luck next year! :)

pakrat
12-14-2003, 01:25 AM
When someone complained about the holding by Burnet's offensive line against Jasper, a Burnet parent said he had the players over to his house and one of them said Jasper's coaches needed to teach them how to hold like Burnet. I did not see the game tonight, but after watching the game at Kyle Field, I am not surprised. Last week Jasper might just as easily have won except for a streak of bad luck at the end of the game.

SINTON81
12-14-2003, 01:28 AM
jdawg85, Yes; I saw Burnet when thay played against Sinton. From what I saw at that game I knew that Burnet could be run on. I felt that if a team had a good running game, they would beat Burnet, or at the very least it would be a close game.

SINTON81
12-14-2003, 01:34 AM
pakrat:
When someone complained about the holding by Burnet's offensive line against Jasper, a Burnet parent said he had the players over to his house and one of them said Jasper's coaches needed to teach them how to hold like Burnet. I did not see the game tonight, but after watching the game at Kyle Field, I am not surprised. Last week Jasper might just as easily have won except for a streak of bad luck at the end of the game.According to some of the Sinton players and fans, Burnet did a lot of holding agianst Sinton. It can be seen on the game film.

<small>[ December 14, 2003, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: SINTON81 ]</small>

jdawg85
12-14-2003, 01:36 AM
Another shoulda, coulda, woulda......but I'll say it anyway. If only Marlon Cook COULDA been healthy enough to play against Burnet last week then I think Jasper WOULDA won that game.

JaSpErBuLLdOgDrUmMeRGaL06
12-14-2003, 01:43 AM
ditto that jdawg85, and check your message things!

jdawg85
12-14-2003, 01:45 AM
SINTON81:

pakrat:
When someone complained about the holding by Burnet's offensive line against Jasper, a Burnet parent said he had the players over to his house and one of them said Jasper's coaches needed to teach them how to hold like Burnet. I did not see the game tonight, but after watching the game at Kyle Field, I am not surprised. Last week Jasper might just as easily have won except for a streak of bad luck at the end of the game.According to some of the Sinton players and fans, Burnet did a lot of holding agianst Sinton.
It can be seen on the game film.DITTO to that on the Jasper film also. Burnet players can talk about being taught to hold so they won't get flagged, but when the fans in the stands can see it being done by one player in particular, there's no way the refs. don't see it. When Jasper was up 14 to 7 early in the fourth and had forced Burnet to punt Jasper had a big gain to Burnet's end of the field called back for holding. The game film is a witness that there was no holding on that play. The tide turned Burnet's way and they took advantage of it. By the way, is it true that the home team secures the refs.?

3afan2K3
12-14-2003, 01:49 AM
I guess early morning pancakes aren't sounding to good for Burnet anymore

SINTON81
12-14-2003, 01:54 AM
jdawg85:

SINTON81:

pakrat:
When someone complained about the holding by Burnet's offensive line against Jasper, a Burnet parent said he had the players over to his house and one of them said Jasper's coaches needed to teach them how to hold like Burnet. I did not see the game tonight, but after watching the game at Kyle Field, I am not surprised. Last week Jasper might just as easily have won except for a streak of bad luck at the end of the game.According to some of the Sinton players and fans, Burnet did a lot of holding agianst Sinton.
It can be seen on the game film.DITTO to that on the Jasper film also. Burnet players can talk about being taught to hold so they won't get flagged, but when the fans in the stands can see it being done by one player in particular, there's no way the refs. don't see it. When Jasper was up 14 to 7 early in the fourth and had forced Burnet to punt Jasper had a big gain to Burnet's end of the field called back for holding. The game film is a witness that there was no holding on that play. The tide turned Burnet's way and they took advantage of it. By the way, is it true that the home team secures the refs.?I don't think so, I think someone on this board said the refs have to be agreed on by both teams.

<small>[ December 14, 2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: SINTON81 ]</small>

jdawg85
12-14-2003, 01:56 AM
We all have to eat sometimes!!

3afan2K3
12-14-2003, 01:57 AM
SINTON81:

jdawg85:

SINTON81:

pakrat:
It can be seen on the game film.DITTO to that on the Jasper film also. Burnet players can talk about being taught to hold so they won't get flagged, but when the fans in the stands can see it being done by one player in particular, there's no way the refs. don't see it. When Jasper was up 14 to 7 early in the fourth and had forced Burnet to punt Jasper had a big gain to Burnet's end of the field called back for holding. The game film is a witness that there was no holding on that play. The tide turned Burnet's way and they took advantage of it. By the way, is it true that the home team secures the refs.?I don't think so, I think someone on this board said the refs have to be agread on by both teams.They do. Do you know how bad refs would be if the coach got to pick his hunting buddy as the ref????

jdawg85
12-14-2003, 01:58 AM
Sinton81, thanks for the info. I had heard this at one of the earlier play-off games and didn't really know if it was true or not.

<small>[ December 14, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: jdawg85 ]</small>

j_dog
12-14-2003, 02:39 AM
jdawg85:
Another shoulda, coulda, woulda......but I'll say it anyway. If only Marlon Cook COULDA been healthy enough to play against Burnet last week then I think Jasper WOULDA won that game.Well, it certainly wouldn't have hurt Jasper's chances. Anyone who saw him in action would realize how he took Jasper's game to a couple levels higher.

But, no need to re-hash all this. We didn't cry about it on game day, no need to now. :)

jdawg85
12-14-2003, 02:51 AM
My motto.....if you're thinking it you had might as well say it. I'm not rehashing anything. Marlon's a great athlete, and as a senior I would have liked for him to have been able to contribute in the game at Kyle Field.

Bandera YaYa
12-14-2003, 03:33 AM
3afan2K3:
I guess early morning pancakes aren't sounding to good for Burnet anymore...now, now....let's be nice..... :D

lotus67
12-14-2003, 05:27 AM
3afan2k3 you got a smart mouth and id like to invite you to a good old fashion bust you in the mouth party as a guest of honor :mad:

3afan
12-14-2003, 08:06 AM
chill lotus ... no need to get worked up

Old Cardinal
12-14-2003, 11:09 AM
I was really surprised by Gainesville winning..I would never had guessed that Burnet would turn the ball over enough to allow a win like that....

TXMike
12-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Home team is responsible for ensuring there are refs but the visitors can approve or disapprove of who is selected (chapter and even specific refs). If teams cannot agree, they go to UIL and UIL identifies a Chapter to work the game.

We have discussed "holding" at length on this board. #1 - what many fans, coaches, and players think is "holding" is not what refs will rule is holding. # 2 - some "holding" that is not affecting the play will not be flagged. # 3 - there are teams that do a much "better" job of pushing the envelope on allowable "holding" than others.

Keith7
12-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Who woulda thought this would happen before the season started, besides me??? This was an amazing year, I'm glad i was able to witness every bit of it.. Congradulations to all of Burnet, Your team had a ton of talent, but we just took advantage of the turn overs.. GO GAINESVILLE!!!!!!! 2003 STATE CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poncho
12-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Bandera YaYa:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3afan2K3:
[qb]I guess early morning pancakes aren't sounding to good for Burnet anymore...now, now....let's be nice.....

<small>[ December 14, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: poncho ]</small>

spaniard
12-14-2003, 03:48 PM
ok, the deal with holding, we did do a lot of holding, from what i saw. but the refs didnt call a lot of personal foul stuff on either team for the jawing and stuff like that. both teams had a lot of guys mouthing off and making a show out of it. hehe, oh and lets just measure it to make sure the ball is in the right spot wink i have never seen so many calls for measurements for first downs in my life :D

great job gainesville, and great job burnet!

lotus67
12-14-2003, 04:42 PM
NO

spaniard
12-14-2003, 04:44 PM
no what? :D

Bulldog Fan
12-14-2003, 06:05 PM
jdawg85:
Another shoulda, coulda, woulda......but I'll say it anyway. If only Marlon Cook COULDA been healthy enough to play against Burnet last week then I think Jasper WOULDA won that game.I agree with you jdawg85, however, I'm not sure we could have gone on to beat Gainesville. I was at the game on Saturday and they were REALLY good.

HotDawg89
12-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Well, I will just say what everyone else hasn't said yet... Gainesville just whipped up on Burnet. They totally kicked out butts. The score may not reflect it- but Gainesville had us beat all over the field. We matched up well as teams, but Gainesville had an edge in just about every aspect. What a tremendous amount of talent. I am so impressed. Gainesville played a clean game- no one can accuse them of anything less. Burnet did do an excetional amount of holding, and still got beat by a very deserving team.

I had made an earlier comment to a Marlin person on this board who said that Burnet could not beat a healthy Marlin team (referring to the loss of Tank Smith during our matchup) I said whhhhaaaaa and gave him a hard time about it- but I have to say that he may have been right.

Burnet could do NOTHING to shut down the run of Purvey. That kid is a spectular RB.

In my opinion, Burnet struggled to keep up with Gainesville. Early on in the game, I told my husband that this game was going to come down to two things- costly mistakes and how much time was left on the clock, and who had possession last. Boy did I call it. Who would have ever thought that our two most costly mistakes would come from the two most touted players on our team? Both fumbles resulted in a TD for Gainesville. And the last play of the game was a sack on our QB.

Very good match-up, excellent team, and the best team certainly won. I had a great time at the game.

When I left last night, I did not have the heavy heart I had last year in leaving. I am just so thankful that no one was hurt this year, and that the game didn't come down to..."If the refs had been fair, or if so and so had been healthy." No excuses, no reason except the fact that Gainesville had a better team.

My bulldogs deserve MUCH respect. They did not ask for the huge amount of publicity they received this year- and they handled themselves with dignity, and played a great season and a great game.

starQB
12-14-2003, 06:40 PM
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!

olddawggreen
12-14-2003, 06:44 PM
starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!And when did your team lose to Burnet?

HotDawg89
12-14-2003, 06:45 PM
starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!You are an a$$- and if that gets me kicked off this board for saying so- then so be it. That is uncalled for. And for your first post too. Welcome to the board.

<small>[ December 14, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

olddawggreen
12-14-2003, 06:47 PM
HotDawg89:
Well, I will just say what everyone else hasn't said yet... Gainesville just whipped up on Burnet. They totally kicked out butts. The score may not reflect it- but Gainesville had us beat all over the field. We matched up well as teams, but Gainesville had an edge in just about every aspect. What a tremendous amount of talent. I am so impressed. Gainesville played a clean game- no one can accuse them of anything less. Burnet did do an excetional amount of holding, and still got beat by a very deserving team.

I had made an earlier comment to a Marlin person on this board who said that Burnet could not beat a healthy Marlin team (referring to the loss of Tank Smith during our matchup) I said whhhhaaaaa and gave him a hard time about it- but I have to say that he may have been right.

Burnet could do NOTHING to shut down the run of Purvey. That kid is a spectular RB.

In my opinion, Burnet struggled to keep up with Gainesville. Early on in the game, I told my husband that this game was going to come down to two things- costly mistakes and how much time was left on the clock, and who had possession last. Boy did I call it. Who would have ever thought that our two most costly mistakes would come from the two most touted players on our team? Both fumbles resulted in a TD for Gainesville. And the last play of the game was a sack on our QB.

Very good match-up, excellent team, and the best team certainly won. I had a great time at the game.

When I left last night, I did not have the heavy heart I had last year in leaving. I am just so thankful that no one was hurt this year, and that the game didn't come down to..."If the refs had been fair, or if so and so had been healthy." No excuses, no reason except the fact that Gainesville had a better team.

My bulldogs deserve MUCH respect. They did not ask for the huge amount of publicity they received this year- and they handled themselves with dignity, and played a great season and a great game.Very well said Hotdawg89, while I did see some Burnet Posters on this site that could be considered cockey, I never saw that in the community as a whole or with any of the boys on the team. The Burnet Coaches did a great job of keeping the team focused on the next game when many around them were trying to jump ahead to another game. It was a great year and a heck of a ride. I am very impressed how the boys handled themselves, they are to be commended!

<small>[ December 14, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: olddawggreen ]</small>

weatherag07
12-14-2003, 08:23 PM
starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!You're the loser for acting so classless. Grow up. Burnet isn't making any excuses about the game. The best team won, and that's that.

bulldogvet85
12-14-2003, 09:05 PM
i was real surprised with the outcome. All i can say is turnovers will get you every single time. but hey you know what crap happens and nothing you can do about it. congrats gainesville on the win!!! Burnet congrats on the Season. It was a Great game!!

bulldogvet85
12-14-2003, 09:07 PM
starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!WOW!! well starQB something like that aint gonna make you a star on here. chances are you'll get sacked for stuff like that. When did your team beat burnet? what team are you apart of? i'm waiting to hear from you StarScrub

starQB
12-14-2003, 09:53 PM
bulldogvet85:

starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!WOW!! well starQB something like that aint gonna make you a star on here. chances are you'll get sacked for stuff like that. When did your team beat burnet? what team are you apart of? i'm waiting to hear from you StarScrubWell Burnet doesn't play my team and maybe if they would stop trying to make Mcgee and shipley's stats look good on "ABC News" and play the games they would won one of thier 2 state games. please, burnet has never won anything so you keep worrying about yourself and not this STAR! and bulldogvet85 c'mon if your really a bulldog from 85, get a life and stop jawing with high schoolers

starQB
12-14-2003, 09:55 PM
olddawggreen:

starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!And when did your team lose to Burnet?hey my team didnt lose to burnet and never would so quit asking!

3afan2K3
12-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Who are you a "star" QB for???

starQB
12-14-2003, 09:57 PM
HotDawg89:

starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!You are an a$$- and if that gets me kicked off this board for saying so- then so be it. That is uncalled for. And for your first post too. Welcome to the board.hey thanks for the welcome, and just because all of your burnet people have been talking trash the whole season dont get mad when yall choke and somebody does it right back! what goes aroung comes around!

starQB
12-14-2003, 10:18 PM
weatherag07:

starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!You're the loser for acting so classless. Grow up. Burnet isn't making any excuses about the game. The best team won, and that's that.seriuosly dont tell me to grow up, 07? that makes you about 13 right?

bulldogvet85
12-14-2003, 10:26 PM
starQB:

bulldogvet85:

starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!WOW!! well starQB something like that aint gonna make you a star on here. chances are you'll get sacked for stuff like that. When did your team beat burnet? what team are you apart of? i'm waiting to hear from you StarScrubWell Burnet doesn't play my team and maybe if they would stop trying to make Mcgee and shipley's stats look good on "ABC News" and play the games they would won one of thier 2 state games. please, burnet has never won anything so you keep worrying about yourself and not this STAR! and bulldogvet85 c'mon if your really a bulldog from 85, get a life and stop jawing with high schoolersI dont think they called "ABC" and told them to come film them. I think all the stuff the had accomplished is what got them the publicity. They havent ever won anything?? I dont believe you said that hmmm they have won all season they did win district. Shipley did break records yeah sounds to me they didnt win anything. What does it matter if I graduated in 85? Are you affraid to get told by some one older than you? Or are you affraid that my knowledge of the game is better than yours? SO how do you know when I graduated? Oh by the way NEWS FLASH not only high schoolers are on here!!!!! better check your self before you start flapping your mouth. SO by the way I'm asking the question again What school do you claim to be the STARQB from?

statguru83
12-14-2003, 10:29 PM
this is for gainesville fans, how big is Terrius Pervey, and secondly, is McBath going to play anywhere in college, I heard he was a really good basketball player is this true

starQB
12-14-2003, 10:31 PM
3afan2K3:
Who are you a "star" QB for???i know by those quotations your not impling that im not a star right? just playin, my team was pretty good this year. i would say my where I reside but some crazed burnet fan might come for me. haha

3afan2K3
12-14-2003, 10:32 PM
starQB:

3afan2K3:
Who are you a "star" QB for???i know by those quotations your not impling that im not a star right? just playin, my team was pretty good this year. i would say my where I reside but some crazed burnet fan might come for me. hahaIf your team was good then you would tell us where you are from

starQB
12-14-2003, 10:37 PM
bulldogvet85:

starQB:

bulldogvet85:

starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!WOW!! well starQB something like that aint gonna make you a star on here. chances are you'll get sacked for stuff like that. When did your team beat burnet? what team are you apart of? i'm waiting to hear from you StarScrubWell Burnet doesn't play my team and maybe if they would stop trying to make Mcgee and shipley's stats look good on "ABC News" and play the games they would won one of thier 2 state games. please, burnet has never won anything so you keep worrying about yourself and not this STAR! and bulldogvet85 c'mon if your really a bulldog from 85, get a life and stop jawing with high schoolersI dont think they called "ABC" and told them to come film them. I think all the stuff the had accomplished is what got them the publicity. They havent ever won anything?? I dont believe you said that hmmm they have won all season they did win district. Shipley did break records yeah sounds to me they didnt win anything. What does it matter if I graduated in 85? Are you affraid to get told by some one older than you? Or are you affraid that my knowledge of the game is better than yours? SO how do you know when I graduated? Oh by the way NEWS FLASH not only high schoolers are on here!!!!! better check your self before you start flapping your mouth. SO by the way I'm asking the question again What school do you claim to be the STARQB from?settle down now, you might break your hip! last time i checked records dont go under the win column, mr. knowledge of the game! and tell me what comp. they had in district? i also have a real tough time believing that abc news found yall, when they could have gotten a state champ like gainesville.

starQB
12-14-2003, 10:39 PM
3afan2K3:

starQB:

3afan2K3:
Who are you a "star" QB for???i know by those quotations your not impling that im not a star right? just playin, my team was pretty good this year. i would say my where I reside but some crazed burnet fan might come for me. hahaIf your team was good then you would tell us where you are fromwell actually ive retired from the game of football

bulldogvet85
12-14-2003, 10:41 PM
starQB:

3afan2K3:
Who are you a "star" QB for???i know by those quotations your not impling that im not a star right? just playin, my team was pretty good this year. i would say my where I reside but some crazed burnet fan might come for me. hahaI doubt anyone would waste time to come get you. If your team was pretty good this year then you wouldnt have a problem saying who your team is. problem is you arent with a team anymore. you werent even really a QB.

Hottogo
12-14-2003, 10:50 PM
bulldogvet85:

starQB:

3afan2K3:
Who are you a "star" QB for???i know by those quotations your not impling that im not a star right? just playin, my team was pretty good this year. i would say my where I reside but some crazed burnet fan might come for me. hahaI doubt anyone would waste time to come get you. If your team was pretty good this year then you wouldnt have a problem saying who your team is. problem is you arent with a team anymore. you werent even really a QB.I bet he wanted to be though, and now hes a star and a QB, wow big man around campus.

weatherag07
12-14-2003, 11:44 PM
starQB:

weatherag07:

starQB:
I dont know what was better yesterday: suddam being captured or the cockiest football team in texas losing!! Whats your excuse this year Losers?? haha Burnet!!You're the loser for acting so classless. Grow up. Burnet isn't making any excuses about the game. The best team won, and that's that.seriuosly dont tell me to grow up, 07? that makes you about 13 right?Um, no. That puts me in college, actually. :rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
12-15-2003, 12:16 AM
Well, let's see....he'll be number...what's the ROM total up to now?????

I love it when these little people get on here, new ones to boot, and they start shooting themselves in the foot.....they don't know who they are messing with, do they??? eek!

dawgdad
12-15-2003, 03:56 AM
#71 Eddie Rollmann is saying goodbye to Burnet this year. Gainesville beat us fair and square. I'm saying goodbye to 3adownlow because of all the trash. If you'd seen the game you'd know.

bulldogvet85
12-15-2003, 09:49 PM
dawgdad:
#71 Eddie Rollmann is saying goodbye to Burnet this year. Gainesville beat us fair and square. I'm saying goodbye to 3adownlow because of all the trash. If you'd seen the game you'd know.I'm kinda confused by this reply. is eddie your son? maybe you can explain this post ot me please.

MonkeyJoe
12-16-2003, 12:12 AM
bulldogvet85:

dawgdad:
#71 Eddie Rollmann is saying goodbye to Burnet this year. Gainesville beat us fair and square. I'm saying goodbye to 3adownlow because of all the trash. If you'd seen the game you'd know.I'm kinda confused by this reply. is eddie your son? maybe you can explain this post ot me please.I think the man said goodbye!

bulldogvet85
12-16-2003, 12:19 AM
MonkeyJoe:

bulldogvet85:

dawgdad:
#71 Eddie Rollmann is saying goodbye to Burnet this year. Gainesville beat us fair and square. I'm saying goodbye to 3adownlow because of all the trash. If you'd seen the game you'd know.I'm kinda confused by this reply. is eddie your son? maybe you can explain this post ot me please.I think the man said goodbye!you do know how to state the obvious!!! anything else you can explain?