PDA

View Full Version : City Population vs School population....

trojandad
10-26-2009, 12:05 AM
try this again....

does anyone have reported high school sizes same size or larger than the city population on your city limits sign?

Pendragon13
10-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Huh? Can you word that again...
Wylie isn't really a town but a school district attached to the Southwest outskirts of Abilene.

carter08
10-26-2009, 12:36 AM
are you asking if there are more people at a high school than in the actual city limits?

Uhhh, that seems highly improbable.

Keith7
10-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by carter08
are you asking if there are more people at a high school than in the actual city limits?

Not so fast my friend.. It happens in Montgomery.. Where the town has 489 people but Montgomery high school has 1669 students, go figure..

carter08
10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Not so fast my friend.. It happens in Montgomery.. Where the town has 489 people but Montgomery high school has 1669 students, go figure..

well, that doesn't make a lick of sense.

95mustang
10-26-2009, 12:57 AM
There are alot of factors that figure into this scenario.

1) How many high schools are in the county?
2) Is your high school only for the students in the city limits?
3) What is the population of the county?
4) How large is the ISD (square miles) vs the community it is based in?

I'm sure there are alot more, but its late and I need my beauty rest.

trojandad
10-26-2009, 01:07 AM
our population was always higher in the high school than on our city limits sign until the last census, the town population of 691 is just barely higher than the reported school numbers of of 538....

we cover SO much unoccupied national and state forest area, we have to travel TONS to accumulate this many students.......we took a map of our district once and laid one edge of it on Liberty, one of our 3a opponents, the rest of our district stretched across liberty, dayton (a 4a school), barbers hill (a 4a school) before the other edge landed on baytown lee (a 5a school).....some of our kids have to travel 45 min home each afternoon to parts of our school district with a huntsville zip code......

not only is it really hard for some kids and, in some case, the poorer kids can't afford to participate for that reason, but so much of our area is not taxable land due to the national and state forests and the remainder of privately held land is valued as timber or agriculture excemptions, meaning a state regulated $50/ac, meaning they only pay about $0.75/ac in taxes each yr....makes for a real substantial tax base.....

tax base and commercially, coldspring is more economically kin to west texas 3a teams.....

trojandad
10-26-2009, 01:10 AM
i had no idea the proration for montgomery was so outrageous....i bet the next census has you guys at a couple of thousand people, that community has just taken off.....love that high school there.....

Keith7
10-26-2009, 01:14 AM
I'll tell you how Montgomery does it.. The town of Montgomery is roughly about 6 square miles but Montgomery ISD's district covers nearly 200 square miles including a lot of subdivisions that have gone up around Lake Conroe.. The fact that there are no reasonably sized towns in close proximity to Montgomery allows them to keep a strangle hold on that part of the county and have a huge district when compared to the size of the town.

Now on the other end of the spectrum, you have a school like Gainesville who's town has nearly 20,000 people, one high school, yet they are 3A.. The reason for this is two things.. there are towns surrounding the outskirts of Gainesville so you have a lot of 1A and 2A schools that are sort of suburbs of Gainesville.. and two, a large portion of Gainesville's population is older.. Something like 60% was over 60 not that long ago so obviously those people aren't going to high school

dawg4life
10-26-2009, 01:42 AM
bandera has 700 people and 820 kids. Everyone in a 20 mile radius goes there

sinton66
10-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by carter08

Consider Magnolia. City limit sign shows 1111 population yet they have TWO 4A highschools. (Lots of people living out in that surrounding forest.)

44INAROW
10-26-2009, 08:23 AM
How about La Vernia?

Ranger Mom
10-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Huh? Can you word that again...
Wylie isn't really a town but a school district attached to the Southwest outskirts of Abilene.

That is how Greenwood is too! We are our own School district and not affiliated with the Midland ISD...but our address is Midland.

block&tackle
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM

Now on the other end of the spectrum, you have a school like Gainesville who's town has nearly 20,000 people, one high school, yet they are 3A.. The reason for this is two things.. there are towns surrounding the outskirts of Gainesville so you have a lot of 1A and 2A schools that are sort of suburbs of Gainesville.. and two, a large portion of Gainesville's population is older.. Something like 60% was over 60 not that long ago so obviously those people aren't going to high school
You left out the 3rd reason...Gainesville's Unacceptable academic rating gives its students a free shot to leave for any of the surrounding schools. The last I heard Valley View alone had 50-100 students with Gainesville addresses.

turbostud
10-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Los Fresnos has a town population of 4500 yet is 5a school.

Matthew328
10-26-2009, 09:05 AM
This is true if a school is unacceptable the students can transfer out, now here is my question once those students leave are they allowed to stay once the school is acceptable again or can they stay in the other school as long as they want?

That's a high # at Valley View, anywhere that can be verified?

block&tackle
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
This is true if a school is unacceptable the students can transfer out, now here is my question once those students leave are they allowed to stay once the school is acceptable again or can they stay in the other school as long as they want?

That's a high # at Valley View, anywhere that can be verified?
Anecdotal at best and may very well be high...Gainesville resident/VV parent is where it came from.

turbostud
10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Lindsay doesnt accept transfers so VV is the only school Gainesville kids can transfer to without a long drive. Not sure about Callisburg.

HEMOTOXIC
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll tell you how Montgomery does it.. The town of Montgomery is roughly about 6 square miles but Montgomery ISD's district covers nearly 200 square miles including a lot of subdivisions that have gone up around Lake Conroe.. The fact that there are no reasonably sized towns in close proximity to Montgomery allows them to keep a strangle hold on that part of the county and have a huge district when compared to the size of the town.

Just to add to that. Montgomery ISD along with Waller, Magnolia, and Navasota covers large areas. With Waller, Montgomery, and Magnolia being closer to areas where there is a boom in growth, you see figures like that. With new subdivisions being built between Navasota and Montgomery, its just a matter of time before Navasota will start experiencing that growth. Especially if 249 or Aggie Expressway gets on tract.

Old Tiger
10-26-2009, 11:53 AM
For every 1000 people in Rockdale there are roughly 80-90 kids enrolled in school. Rockdale has a population of around 6000 people.

BwdLion73
10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Last time I looked at an Abilene city limit sign it was 115,000 plus. I guess thats pretty close in line to the actual Wylie enrollment.

:p

trojandad
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
lol@ lion...

i know the feeling, my niece was going to splendora the years they were reporting enrollment in the 800's and she showed me her yearbook and we stopped counting pictures with 1,100....

some schools just know how to get them counted.....we dummies count twice.....:eek: :hairpunk:

IHStangFan
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Not on such a grand scale....but Needville has 2609 people and there is talk of us going to 4A.

Once the kids from Damon reach HS, a lot of them come to Needville for HS, as they only have elementary and middle schools I believe. I think some of them go to West Columbia as well.

navscanmaster
10-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Navasota as a town is estimated at 7800 right now by the USCB. The district has 360 square miles and roughly 3200 students.

Maroon87
10-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Consider Magnolia. City limit sign shows 1111 population yet they have TWO 4A highschools. (Lots of people living out in that surrounding forest.)

That's exactly who I was thinking of...

BaseballUmp
10-26-2009, 06:02 PM
How about bastrop...as of October 26, 2007 there were 2,342 at Bastrop High but in the 2000 census they had a little over 5000 in the town and a 2007 estimate had them at a little over 7000 thats roughly 30% of the population being in the high school alone...seems a bit odd to me. I always wonder that when I got throw bastrop and see the population sign then see how big the town actually is