PDA

View Full Version : My National Title Game

ssgmp5150
10-25-2009, 08:41 AM
I know this will never happen, but after watching college football this weekend, I have seen enough. The State of Texas wins out! Here is my theory and you can tell me I am smoking crack all you want, but here it is.

1. Flordia-overrated. The SEC is a killer conference, but it is not like Flordia dominated Miss St...Move Flordia to # 3.
2. Alabama-overrated. Again, the SEC is a tough conference and Alabama's defense is good, but they literally lucked out in their home win against Tennessee. Move Alabama to # 4.
3. Texas should move up to # 1
4. Boise St-have not played anyone yet. Cupcake schedule compared to some of the other team. Move them way down the list and out of the top 10!
5. Cincinnati-same as Boise St, move them out of the top ten
6. Iowa-Big Ten is not as good of a conference and they have snuck out a lot of close wins. Move them to # 5.
7. USC-way overrated with one loss! Keep them where they are
8. TCU-here is my favorite underdog! Move these guys all the way to # 2.

So here is my version of the top 5!
1. Texas
2. TCU
3. Florida
4. Alabama
5. Iowa

So, my one vs two matchup for the national championship should be Texas vs TCU for all the marbles! Let's play it at Jerry World! I think it is awesome! However, I know this will never happen, but does say a lot about the talent coming out of Texas high schools. I am just wishful thinking but let me know what you think...Just fyi...this was done with a sense of humor and a bit of sarcasm in case anyone gets totally offended...

Looking4number8
10-25-2009, 08:57 AM
would be great but no way TCU ever moves up to #2.. it would be sweet but will never happen...

On a side note, where is the national title game this year. If Texas is in it, I can go with one of the players tickets, just not sure I can afford the whole plane ride, $300 dollar hotel and all right after first Christmas with the grandbaby!

TheDOCTORdre
10-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
would be great but no way TCU ever moves up to #2.. it would be sweet but will never happen...

On a side note, where is the national title game this year. If Texas is in it, I can go with one of the players tickets, just not sure I can afford the whole plane ride, $300 dollar hotel and all right after first Christmas with the grandbaby!

its in Pasadena...the same place the Horns won it last time

ssgmp5150
10-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I know it would never happen, but wouldn't it be great. Two Texas teams playing for the national title and have it at Jerry World in Arlington! That would be awesome. Realistically, Alabama and Florida play for the SEC title and the loser drops underneath Texas and Texas will play the winner for the title. Sure would like to see TCU get there! TCU has got to get out of that conference. Perhaps TCU and Baylor could switch places! If TCU were in the Big 12, I think they would do very well and eventually get their shot at a national title! Coach Patterson is really building that school and team into an elite program!

big daddy russ
10-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't mean to laugh at you ssgmp, but I can't help it. Texas has squeezed out just as many tight games as UF and Bama.

1. Bama (and that's tough for me to say as an Auburn fan)
2. Florida
3. Texas (though, for the first time this season, I feel like they belong in the conversation with Bama and UF)
4. Cincy
5. TCU (one of my favorite teams, too)

NastySlot
10-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Florida and Bama are about as over rated as Texas........at least those two get to conference and play people......Texas out side of the OU game hasn't played anyone.........and now this week we will have to listen to how Ok. State will be a big game........The SEC is a week in week out big game conference............ever been to an SEC....game.........they are almost like watching Texas/Ou game every weekend.

Texas is very good team and showed it last night when they click they will be hard to beat.............in a title game I would go with the horns in a one game shot.........put the horns in the SEC and they lose two a year and Muschamp and Brown are just two more good coaches in a conference full good coaches.

NastySlot
10-25-2009, 10:43 AM
wow in rereading the original post.....you could sub in Texas for any of the teams you made up reason's for not being ranked where they are

look at what you posted.........bama got lucky?.....a bobbled snap or a missed fg by tenn. would have made bama lucky.

weak conference schedules....haven't played anybody.

ssgmp5150
10-25-2009, 10:55 AM
I knew I would stir up a hornets....lol I am just saying, "what if" that's all. Just my fantasy/homer title game. I do agree that the SEC is brutal and every weekend is like the Texas/OU weekend in conference play. Texas would more than likely drop at least one or two a year in that conference, but I do like their chances in a one game winner takes all championship. So, Texas is in the same class as the Alabama's and Florida's, etc...It is just hard to get up every week for a big game I think. However, I think TCU is not far behind as an "elite" program and if they could get into the Big 12, that would further their cause greatly. Again, I was just throwing this out for debate...lol Nothing too serious behind it other than to stir the pot.

big daddy russ
10-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
wow in rereading the original post.....you could sub in Texas for any of the teams you made up reason's for not being ranked where they are

look at what you posted.........bama got lucky?.....a bobbled snap or a missed fg by tenn. would have made bama lucky.

weak conference schedules....haven't played anybody.
Like I said earlier, I never thought the 'Horns belonged in the conversation with the two SEC teams until this weekend. Until these consecutive wins over OU (which, admittedly, surprised me a bit) and Mizzou (which, considering their dominance compared to their play early on, surprised me a lot), I thought UT was an afterthought in the title race and that the real National Championship would be played in Atlanta the first weekend of December.

NastySlot
10-25-2009, 10:59 AM
i think might agree...here........texas, alabama florida and usc are elite teams......best programs right in the country .......and boise state and tcu....wow are only a few steps behind.

ssgmp5150
10-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I just thought it would be funny to debate a Texas vs TCU national title game...Texas is one of the "elite" programs along with Alabama, Florida, USC, etc....However, TCU is getting there!

big daddy russ
10-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by ssgmp5150
I just thought it would be funny to debate a Texas vs TCU national title game...Texas is one of the "elite" programs along with Alabama, Florida, USC, etc....However, TCU is getting there!
I'd agree with you on all the above. I think both TCU and Boise have carved out some fantastic programs out of less-than-ideal circumstances, and TCU looks amazing this year.

Keith7
10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Here's mine:

Texas: Overrated - move them to #5
Florida: Underrated, have looked average against the SEC but any "big" 12 team wouldn't have a win in that conference. Move them to #2
Alabama: Best team in the country - move them to #1
TCU: been pretty impressive this season - move them to #4
USC: had one slip up in Washington but freshman QB has come on as of late and they have the most talent in the country, move them to #3

so we got

1. Alabama
2. Florida
3. USC
4. TCU
5. Texass

carter08
10-25-2009, 12:22 PM
are we forgetting that TCU barely beat a 4-4 Air Force team?

and that they still have to play Utah which is far from a gimme game.

BYU isn't THAT good. They got lucky against OU because Bradford got hurt. They were blown out by Florida State. They can out up 40 on weak teams, great.

ssgmp5150
10-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I still say TCU in the big 12 is better than having a Baylor in the Big 12. Those schools need to switch. Give TCU a few years in the big 12 and they would be battling for a national title every year I think. I still argue that if TCU goes undefeated on the year, then they should get an at large bid over Cincinatti or Boise State for a BCS Bowl Game.

carter08
10-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I still say TCU in the big 12 is better than having a Baylor in the Big 12. Those schools need to switch. Give TCU a few years in the big 12 and they would be battling for a national title every year I think. I still argue that if TCU goes undefeated on the year, then they should get an at large bid over Cincinatti or Boise State for a BCS Bowl Game.

UH and TCU need to go Big 12. OR, UH and Boise need to go MWC and MWC needs an automatic bid.

also, Cincy is Big East. Automatic bid.

JasperDog94
10-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
any "big" 12 team wouldn't have a win in that conference. This made me laugh...thanks Keith. :D

big daddy russ
10-25-2009, 03:27 PM
In football definitely, but Baylor has a stronger athletic program overall. Solid men's hoops team, championship baseball and women's hoops teams, etc, etc.

NastySlot
10-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Baylor isn't that bad to have in the conference because their other athletic programs are strong.........TCU would do ok...but to say they would challange for a National Title .....come on there are only two teams in the Big XII that challange for a title ....Texas and OU............the rest don't have much of a chance..........because Texas is so good it hurts the other schools and really the overall strength of the conference

Daddy D 11
10-25-2009, 04:21 PM
I've said FOREVER they need to kick ISU out and bring in TCU.

TCU would make the conference a great one every year and Iowa State is weak and would fit in perfectly in the big ten with all the other weak teams.

TheDOCTORdre
10-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Here's mine:

Texas: Overrated - move them to #5
Florida: Underrated, have looked average against the SEC but any "big" 12 team wouldn't have a win in that conference. Move them to #2
Alabama: Best team in the country - move them to #1
TCU: been pretty impressive this season - move them to #4
USC: had one slip up in Washington but freshman QB has come on as of late and they have the most talent in the country, move them to #3

so we got

1. Alabama
2. Florida
3. USC
4. TCU
5. Texass

Keith do you even watch the games or do you just wait until you see what is posted on the downlow and then goes contrary to it? IMO, and I am a Texas fan, Bama should be #1 i know they struggled against Tenn, but that D is gonna slow anyone down that comes in contact with them, Florida is what USC was 3 years ago in the eyes of the media, they are in love with Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow I love Meyer as a coach. As far as Tebow goes he is the exact same as all the rest of the college quarterbacks, except last year after the loss to Ole Miss, he said the speech that most QBs give to their team in a team meeting/practice setting and opened it up to the media, and they ate it up. Texas, I've said it from the beginning of the year but if they werent ranked #2 to start the year they wouldnt be there right now based on how they are playing but last night we got a taste of Texas on all cylinders. USC is a joke the PAC 10 is weak I dont care what anyone says, most PAC 10 coaches will even admit that the PAC 10 should be called USC and the 8 dwarves, and they alternate one dwarf that annually gets up for USC and beats them. I could keep going but I wont here are my standings as I see them.

1.Bama
2.TCU
3.Texas
4.Florida
5. Boise State
6.Cincinatti
7.USC
8. Iowa
9.LSU
10. Oregon

gambler1606
10-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Good Job!! My pick is Alabama and Texas in BCS game. Texas beat Oklahoma and can beat anybody in the Big 12. They shouldn't even play the Big 12 title game, because no other team in the Big 12 North can compete with the South, in this conference. Now!! Alabama is not overrated by any means, I think they will beat FloTebo in the SEC Title game, and then meet Texas(who I hate, but I give them thier dues) in the BCS game.
My early prediction is Bama 27 Texas 17...

ssgmp5150
10-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Good point!

Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I've said FOREVER they need to kick ISU out and bring in TCU.

TCU would make the conference a great one every year and Iowa State is weak and would fit in perfectly in the big ten with all the other weak teams.

SWMustang
10-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by gambler1606
Good Job!! My pick is Alabama and Texas in BCS game. Texas beat Oklahoma and can beat anybody in the Big 12. They shouldn't even play the Big 12 title game, because no other team in the Big 12 North can compete with the South, in this conference. Now!! Alabama is not overrated by any means, I think they will beat FloTebo in the SEC Title game, and then meet Texas(who I hate, but I give them thier dues) in the BCS game.
My early prediction is Bama 27 Texas 17...

Are you saying this same Bama offense that has managed 1 touchdown in the previous 2 games is going to score 27 on the Horn D? I think it's more likely Texas could scratch out 17 on Bama, but I doubt Bama could score 17 on Texas.

SintonPirateFan
10-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Keith7, i think you have a little Nobel Peace Prize fever.

you are moving USC up to #3 because "they have the most talent in the country". that is moving someone up because they have potential, and ignoring their performance. they lost against WASHINGTON, whether or not it was a "slip up", they lost. and with every Washington loss, it makes that "slip up" more costly.

Alabama is "the best team in the country". really? TENNESSEE took them down to the wire. tennessee, who lost to Auburn and UCLA. and this game was IN Tuscaloosa. what would have happened if it had been in Knoxville? but, in your thinking, i guess this was just a "slip up".

You call Florida "underrated" but still drop them down to #2. if they are underrated, why would you drop them from #1 to 2???