PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Gobbler Concerns?

SpursFan
10-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I have been to almost every game this year.

Is anyone else concerned over the slow starts the Gobblers have had over the last few weeks?? I know they have not lost a game this season but it does concern me!

Coming close to playoffs you can not spot the other team 7 or 14 points!

carter08
10-24-2009, 09:46 PM
overrated, yeah?

=D

gobbler grad
10-24-2009, 10:14 PM
What can you do? Just hope once the playoffs come around we are playing solid for 4 qtrs.... by the 3 rd round, you spot anyone 14 points, well that would be hard to overcome...but it could happen...anyway SpursFan, i imagine many have thought about that...hope the best for the Gobblers throughout the rest of the season...

GO MEAN GREEN

wtfootball
10-25-2009, 06:09 AM
When they play Monahahans, they could wake up and be down by 4 TD's. I think Cuero is one of the best in the state and am not doing my normal, talking trash. But at the high school level hard to turn it on and off against quality teams. Can't wait to see Cuero in post season.

Gobbla2001
10-25-2009, 10:03 PM
8-0 sounds good to me...

every team has concerns...

Honestly I think they're just not interested in district play... you get used to beating everyone's ass in district every year you get a tad complacent...

They can't do this chit against Edna or they'll get their butts kicked...

swineflu
10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Plenty of concerns I'm sure but will be fixed for Sealy.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
10-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by swineflu
Plenty of concerns I'm sure but will be fixed for Sealy.

they better be:D haha just kidding

29-3aFAN
10-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
8-0 sounds good to me...

Honestly I think they're just not interested in district play... you get used to beating everyone's ass in district every year you get a tad complacent...

That will be a hell of a game!

Cowboy_Up
10-26-2009, 07:16 AM
I think the Gobblers are just fine. They've blown out thier last two opponents...so what if Palacios kicked a field goal after a Cuero fumble or if Goliad put one drive together before you all hung 42 on 'em. You know your not playing against air, there are actually 11 guys on the other side who are giving it a go. Pretty sad when you get a couple of easy wins and you ask what the problem is.

And if anything I'd think you all would be proud of the way your team fought back at Yoakum. Don't disrespect those kids from Yoakum, they've got grit and they wanted it, but Cuero found a way and that will serve them well.

As far as Edna goes, we just hope we can give you all a game.

headhunter
10-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I disagree Cowboy up, I do think their are a few concerns in Gobbler country. Scores do not always dictate how well a team is playing. The main concern in my opinion is the defense. It seems that they just don't have a high intensity level. I'm still looking to find those guys that are not afraid to stick their head in the pile a hit someone hard. Defense wins championships and the Gobblers just look soft.

Special teams is a huge concern as well. We can't make but half of our xtra points and we have no ability to kick field goals. That is what makes the difference in the playoffs when teams are evenly matched.

I will add that I have been impressed with how the district has played Cuero, Goliad was not that bad of team, Palacios put together a few good plays and the clock just ran in the second half so 47 was all we scored, and Yoakum is still a wonder how they have lost 5 games. I still think Cuero has not played their best game this year.

If Cuero wants to be a state championship team then they need to find that next level quick, they have two weeks to get the kinks ironed out. After that, if you can't bring a high intensity level then you won't play very long in the playoffs.

Pendragon13
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Ugly or pretty...a win is a win and I think anyone will take an ugly win over a pretty loss. Just keep on mind that not all past state champs have looked great in every game leading up to the title....remember that the 04 State champs Abilene Wylie (with Case Keenum) actually lost 3 games in the regular season including a blowout loss to Decatur that year!

rojosgirl
10-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I have some concerns as well. Seems like the intensity level has dropped off some. Hopefully, that can be addressed soon. I know it's hard to stay pumped way up for such a long time, but the Gobblers need to be hitting full stride soon. Good luck!

GO-MEAN-GREEN! :cheerl:

CHSVARSITYDAD
10-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Two problems I know of .1)one player on defense and offense that doesnt look like he cares to be out there,wont hit on def and wont go all out on pass plays.My boy says their gonna have a sit down with him tonight and find out whats up.2)Coach wont allow certain stuff on 1st defensive series ,he wants to sit back and see what opponent has,this has more than upset a few players and they have decided to risk the butt chewing and do what they do.But they are kids so come friday it might just be same as usual.

Txbroadcaster
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CHSVARSITYDAD
2)Coach wont allow certain stuff on 1st defensive series ,he wants to sit back and see what opponent has,this has more than upset a few players and they have decided to risk the butt chewing and do what they do.But they are kids so come friday it might just be same as usual.

Why would this upset players?

WOS1
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
8-0 sounds good to me...

Honestly, I think this is a major problem. Not just for cuero, but for many teams. If you notice, most of your title winners come from pretty competitive districts. WOS has had the same problem, we play well in pre-season and beat really good teams. Then we hit district and get complacent and lose that edge. Then you get in the playoffs and the first couple of rounds are like your district, then you get to that third round quality opponent and we just never can seem to ge that edge back when we need it. We've lost, over the last several years, to teams in the playoffs that were no better than teams we had already beat earlier in the season. I am not referring to gilmer last year, they were just better than we were, but the years before that...

pirate4state
10-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Honestly, I think this is a major problem. Not just for cuero, but for many teams. If you notice, most of your title winners come from pretty competitive districts. WOS has had the same problem, we play well in pre-season and beat really good teams. Then we hit district and get complacent and lose that edge. Then you get in the playoffs and the first couple of rounds are like your district, then you get to that third round quality opponent and we just never can seem to ge that edge back when we need it. We've lost, over the last several years, to teams in the playoffs that were no better than teams we had already beat earlier in the season. I am not referring to gilmer last year, they were just better than we were, but the years before that... :thinking: :D ;)

I'm glad that for the most part our district has been competitive this year. Our boys haven't had time to get complacent! Granted we are in lowly Region IV and south of San Antonio, blah, blah, but we line up just like everybody else and play the game and so far, haven't lost!

I think Cuero will be just fine.

Mojado
10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:thinking: :D ;)

I'm glad that for the most part our district has been competitive this year. Our boys haven't had time to get complacent! Granted we are in lowly Region IV and south of San Antonio, blah, blah, but we line up just like everybody else and play the game and so far, haven't lost!

That's what the UT Longhorns are saying!!! :D :D :D

Sorry, just a joke, I had to throw that in, I know nothing about yalls dist.... Good luck to you guys!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
10-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Mojado
That's what the UT Longhorns are saying!!! :D :D :D

Sorry, just a joke, I had to throw that in, I know nothing about yalls dist.... Good luck to you guys!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :confused: I don't get it. :( :D

CHSVARSITYDAD
10-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why would this upset players?
At Cuero if a player sees something and makes a great play he can get his butt chewed out for not being where the coach said to be.You know the what if they would have done this you would have been out of position,which I understand but sometimes you have got to show a little trust,just saying.

Cowboy_Up
10-26-2009, 03:01 PM
At Cuero if a player sees something and makes a great play he can get his butt chewed out for not being where the coach said to be.You know the what if they would have done this you would have been out of position,which I understand but sometimes you have got to show a little trust,just saying.

I think the Cuero coach's record speaks for itself. Good coaches know what it takes to win big games against good teams and they also know you can sometimes get away with poor decision making against mediocre teams. For instance, against a so-so team an LB or DB may make an incorrect read (based on what defense the coaches want) and make what looks to be a great play. Good coaches know that against championship level opponents, you make that same bad read and your a$$ is toast. Good coaches, like the ones at Cuero aren't developing schemes to beat Palacios or Goliad, there looking at the Sealys and Gilmers of the world and developing schemes to compete against that level of competition. If my kid was playing in a program like that, or any program with coaches that know what they’re doing, I’d be encouraging my son to trust in the coach.

GreenMachine
10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
My take is this. Cuero misses and greatly needs a hard nosed player like Jake Rangnow was. They need somebody to pick up the intensity. Until Cuero finds that person, I think you consider Cuero somewhat "soft".

Gobbler Fan
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
I think the Cuero coach's record speaks for itself. Good coaches know what it takes to win big games against good teams and they also know you can sometimes get away with poor decision making against mediocre teams. For instance, against a so-so team an LB or DB may make an incorrect read (based on what defense the coaches want) and make what looks to be a great play. Good coaches know that against championship level opponents, you make that same bad read and your a$$ is toast. Good coaches, like the ones at Cuero aren't developing schemes to beat Palacios or Goliad, there looking at the Sealys and Gilmers of the world and developing schemes to compete against that level of competition. If my kid was playing in a program like that, or any program with coaches that know what they’re doing, I’d be encouraging my son to trust in the coach.

Not taking anything away from the coaches but you have to give some credit to the talent that has gone through Cuero since Reeve has been here . Would another Coach have done the same as far as wins , who's to say but the talent was here for a coach to step in and do great when Coach Reeve got here . I know what im saying might ruffle a few feathers but it's the truth Cuero has had the talent to win at least one State Title over the last 5-6 years . Now as far as this years team it's wait and see from one week to the next ... Coaching will tell the tale of this years team thats for sure .

1stnurseryman
10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
What year do you think Cuero should have won?

OldBison75
10-26-2009, 08:38 PM
This whole thread is shocking to me and I guess it is because I'm an outsider looking in. Cuero is consistently one of the best coached teams in the state and it seems that there are always a couple of great players in that lineup. What has separated Cuero over the years is the ability of the coaching staff to take those other 20 above average and average athletes and mold them into a team that can depend on each other and be confident that somebody always has thier backs. Yes, maybe Cuero has not achieved waht the fans expected at times, but there are very few teams that live up to the fans expectations.

Many of you felt that Cuero was a solid top ten team at the start of the year and I have seen nothing to change that position. They have the star players to compare with most any team, they have plenty of above average athletes to overcome most programs. They have the tradition of winning and the experience in tough games to know what it takes to be a winner. These young men will be winners whether they get the trophy or not. They compete hard and give thier all each and every week.

I think that this concern for the lack of focus might be a valid concern at this stage of the season, but I also can assure you that from what I have seen, Cuero can turn on the switch very fast and score alot of points very fast. Remember, there are very seldon wire to wire leaders in any race and the smart money is on the athlete or team that can respond to the situation and step up. I think Cuero might be one of those type teams for several playoff games.

Gobbler Fan
10-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 1stnurseryman
What year do you think Cuero should have won?

I'm not going to get into specifics . I dont want to take away from any of the teams from the playoff runs Cuero has had under Coach Reeve . I'll stick to my guns though and say once again Reeve stepped into a Coach's dream with the players that were in Cuero High school at the time he was hired and the ones that were on the way up from the 7th and 8th grade teams . I'm not saying that he has done bad certainly not if thats what you are getting at . I think we are one of the best coached teams in the state but at times lack the killer instinct needed to win the big game. Maybe we are trying to hard to not hurt feelings or step on toes during our pre district and district schedule ... I say let them play all out it's the other teams responsibility to stop us . You dont see Gilmer or LH or any other of the top teams let off the gas it was go for the throat all the time , maybe thats whats lacking .

My opinion of course ;)

sTx
10-26-2009, 10:10 PM
i dont think cuero has anything to worry abour til the second round :) Cuero v.s. Sealy= B.A. lol

XtremeCouture
10-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
I'm not going to get into specifics . I dont want to take away from any of the teams from the playoff runs Cuero has had under Coach Reeve . I'll stick to my guns though and say once again Reeve stepped into a Coach's dream with the players that were in Cuero High school at the time he was hired and the ones that were on the way up from the 7th and 8th grade teams . I'm not saying that he has done bad certainly not if thats what you are getting at . I think we are one of the best coached teams in the state but at times lack the killer instinct needed to win the big game. Maybe we are trying to hard to not hurt feelings or step on toes during our pre district and district schedule ... I say let them play all out it's the other teams responsibility to stop us . You dont see Gilmer or LH or any other of the top teams let off the gas it was go for the throat all the time , maybe thats whats lacking .

My opinion of course ;)

i will say this. i experienced the coaching before reeve and some with reeve. the talent really is about the same. i will say honestly the team that graduated with cody wallace would have most definitely won a state title with reeve coaching them for 4 years.

what reeve brought to the athletic program is a commitment from the athletes. he encourages everyone to lift weights after school and participate in track. these were things coach L ignored altogether. the discipline reeve brought also can not be overlooked. reeve got as much talent to work with as anyone else. he's just done more with it because he has the ability to get players to work as hard as they can and play as hard as they can unlike coach L

Footballhudini
10-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Cuero will be bouncing balls come thxgiving

wtfootball
10-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
Cuero will be bouncing balls come thxgiving

From what I have read here, agreed.

1stnurseryman
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
I grew up in Cuero and with out a doubt Reeve is in the top two best coaches of all time. The 2 best chances Cuero had to win a championship was against Wylie and Hutto onlt have 2 things to say Keenum & Curley look whay they are doing at D1 level.
Who on those teams do we have playing D1 ball? What Reeve has done with this team this year is remarkable. As for as the round ball comments we wll just have to wait and see ya never know.

rojosgirl
10-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Boys basketball in Cuero?
:eek:

Old Green
10-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by 1stnurseryman
I grew up in Cuero and with out a doubt Reeve is in the top two best coaches of all time. The 2 best chances Cuero had to win a championship was against Wylie and Hutto onlt have 2 things to say Keenum & Curley look whay they are doing at D1 level.
Who on those teams do we have playing D1 ball? What Reeve has done with this team this year is remarkable. As for as the round ball comments we wll just have to wait and see ya never know. :iagree:

Footballhudini
10-27-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.aa.psu.edu/sports/mbasketball/images/bball.jpg

12thMan
10-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't agree with everything on here. Coach Reeve does a fine job coaching the kids. Yes, he has a lot of talent and that does win you ball games. But you have to know how to use that talent and manage it on the field. We will always question some of the decisions that are made during the course of a game, but that's why i'm sitting at home typing this, I'm not the coach.

I challenge the players to stay focused and play hard no matter who their playing. During the Goliad game, there were a handfull of players on both sides of the ball that seem like they were just going through the motions. I challenge them to play every game like it's their last. Quit playing "just good enough" to get the job done.

One more thing, I challenge the fans of Cuero to step it up also. We expect our coaches and players to step up, well I think it's time to do our part and get excited and get loud. After Gonzales, we have a huge game v.Edna. That's for all the marbles in our district. Let's be the 12th man for the Gobblers.

MamaBull
10-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by wtfootball
When they play Monahahans, they could wake up and be down by 4 TD's. I think Cuero is one of the best in the state and am not doing my normal, talking trash. But at the high school level hard to turn it on and off against quality teams. Can't wait to see Cuero in post season. GO BULLS!!:D

sinton66
10-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Ain't nothing wrong in Cuero. Sometimes new kids take a little longer to "get it" than prior ones. It's not the beginning or the middle that counts, it's how you FINISH. Reeves has proved more than once he can finish pretty dang strong.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I honestly believe they've played down to their competition a little... there's no way you hang with La Vernia in the first half and trash 'em in the second without being a pretty dang good team...

sinton66
10-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I honestly believe they've played down to their competition a little... there's no way you hang with La Vernia in the first half and trash 'em in the second without being a pretty dang good team...

That does happen more often than some realize.

dawg4life
10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
the main concern is they will have to play bandera in the regional final :p

gobbler grad
10-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by sTx
i dont think cuero has anything to worry abour til the second round :) Cuero v.s. Sealy= B.A. lol

don't play anybody good till the 3rd round...:eek:

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
10-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
don't play anybody good till the 3rd round...:eek:

what are you saying??

sTx
10-27-2009, 08:54 PM
all i gotta say is 8-0;) sealy is horrible LMAO

LH Panther Mom
10-27-2009, 08:54 PM
2)Coach wont allow certain stuff on 1st defensive series ,he wants to sit back and see what opponent has,this has more than upset a few players and they have decided to risk the butt chewing and do what they do.But they are kids so come friday it might just be same as usual.
So the kids think they know better and they plan on doing what they want? :doh: :doh: I'm not sure I'd want him knowing that ahead of time, if I were one of those kids. Just saying.....

rojosgirl
10-28-2009, 09:33 AM
It's easy to sit back and criticize what's going on. We on the outside don't know everything there is to know about varoius team issues. What comes home from "my boy" is just that. Some details may get left out or altered. This is a game we all love, played by young boys who are doing the best they can. Let's go out and support them and their coaches. Be good fans or just stay home. GO GOBBLERS! :D

CueroDad08
10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by sTx

I for one do think Cuero will be just fine. They will take care of what they need to. These kids do know each year is not the same as the year before. If we do happen to meet sealy in second round they will go into the game just like last year,(ready to win). From what I do remeamber last year was predicted to be one hell of a tuff game. 56-24 is what happen. So I do think the Gobblers will be just fine.Lets just hope if they do meet it ends up just a little closer.

rojosgirl
10-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Good luck to the Gobblers against Gonzales, Edna and whoever comes next. GO-MEAN-GREEN!