PDA

View Full Version : Greatest 3A Team of All Time

oldtownag
10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
What is your pick? My pick would have to be the 1983 Daingerfield Tigers. Carthage, which was 4A then, was the only team to score any offensive points on them all year.

P.S. Carthage made it to the 4A Semi-final game that same year.

shamu85
10-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag
What is your pick? My pick would have to be the 1983 Daingerfield Tigers. Carthage, which was 4A then, was the only team to score any offensive points on them all year.

P.S. Carthage made it to the 4A Semi-final game that same year.

Actually, they were the only team to score any points on them, I believe, and they weren't offensive points. They came from an interception return for a TD, then D'field promptly blocked the extra point.

Emerson1
10-24-2009, 12:00 PM
I dunno but the #2 team of all time is 2001 Forney.

Daddy D 11
10-24-2009, 12:01 PM
This has been debated too many times, someone go dig up the old thread and post on that.

TheDOCTORdre
10-24-2009, 06:18 PM
this is from a link on the homepage

http://www.3adownlow.com/undefeated.php

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
10-24-2009, 07:02 PM
sealy '94-'97

Move The Chains
10-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
sealy '94-'97 He's talking about the greatest team of all time, not the greatest run.

Now if you think one of those teams was the absolute best ever, then okay.

BossHog09
10-24-2009, 07:20 PM
'08 Prosper. Best offense i've ever seen by far. Fast Recievers, State Mvp Quaterback, nasty o-line

Pendragon13
10-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I can't argue that any team but 83 Daingerfield was the best ever...don't know how anyone could really.

Move The Chains
10-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
I can't argue that any team but 83 Daingerfield was the best ever...don't know how anyone could really. I never saw em, but I can't argue the stats.

That was 7 years before I was even born. LOL

Pendragon13
10-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
I never saw em, but I can't argue the stats.

That was 7 years before I was even born. LOL I was 7 years old and don't remember a thing as well. I'm sure only the old timers here that lived in East Texas would have actually seen them play..

TheDOCTORdre
10-24-2009, 08:04 PM
that stat that always gets me is a 3a team finished 3rd in the national poll... that to me is amazing

Daddy B 12
10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
LH 2007

sinfan75
10-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I dunno but the #2 team of all time is 2001 Forney. Great team, but no!

WOS87
10-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Carroll '92, Pittsburg '80, Friendswood '73 and Denver City '60 were quite impressive as well (2A=3A prior to 1980)

It would have to come from one of the following unless someone can convince me the Greatest 3A Team of All-Time didn't win a state title...

Click Here ---> LINK (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99396)

CueroDad08
10-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
sealy '94-'97

I would say out of "This Run" one of these teams had to be the best of all time agreed....

WOS87
10-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
that stat that always gets me is a 3a team finished 3rd in the national poll... that to me is amazing

Which National poll was that?! The only one I'm aware of that even existed in 1983 was USA Today and Daingerfield was NOT anywhere to be found in their Top 25 poll. WO-S finished 15th in the USA Today Final National Poll in 1987 when they won their 2nd championship in 4A and Lake Travis is the only 4A team from Texas to be ranked higher than that when they finished 4th in the 2008 poll. I've never seen a 3A team ranked anywhere in the top 25 in any national poll.

Click here --->LINK (http://www.hsfdatabase.com/usat8289.htm)

I've posted the same info many times before and looks like I'm doing it again. I firmly believe the 1983 4A Champ Bay City could have taken Daingerfield that year.

Bay City only allowed 65 points that season and beat three 5A teams and twelve 4A teams in the process whereas Daingerfield beat three 4A teams and twelve 3A teams.

Comparative Scores:

Daingerfield 10, Carthage 6
4A Semis - Lubbock Estacado 20, Carthage 16
4A Finals - Bay City 30, Lubbock Estacado 0

TheDOCTORdre
10-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Which National poll was that?! The only one I'm aware of that even existed in 1983 was USA Today and Daingerfield was NOT anywhere to be found in their Top 25 poll. WO-S finished 15th in the USA Today Final National Poll in 1987 when they won their 2nd championship in 4A and to date no 4A Texas team has ranked higher. I've never seen a 3A team ranked anywhere in the top 25 in any national poll.

I dunno thats just what it says here

TheDOCTORdre
10-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Check out this video if you want to see about the 83 Daingerfield team
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9owTM9SyH0

WOS87
10-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I dunno thats just what it says here

Not sure where that came from... I'm a new mod here but I do know that USA Today published the only regularly referenced National High School Football poll from the first year they published one in 1982 until the internet came in to common usage in the late 1990's at which time various other national HS football internet sites started doing the same.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. I suppose SI or some other magazine at the time could have posted a nationwide rankings but I've never heard anything about it.

K-MAC Chuck
10-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Daddy B 12
LH 2007

I certainly can't argue with this vote - but yah, I'm a "little" biased.

Still, I covered the Converse Judson teams of the '90s (and have seen/covered a few state champs), and for what it's worth, that 2007 LH defense was as dominating as any I've seen. The offense, yes, is the Slot-T...but the 2007 Panthers were barely challenged.

If they're not #1 (which I won't argue), they've got to have a lot of consideration for Top 5, or at the VERY least Top 10..

Matthew328
10-24-2009, 10:49 PM
1983 Daingerfield

After that

1980 Pittsburg
One of those Cuero teams from the 70's
92 Southlake Carroll
01 Everman

Pendragon13
10-24-2009, 11:18 PM
that stat that always gets me is a 3a team finished 3rd in the national poll... that to me is amazing After talking to people from other states and seeing some high school ball in a few states other than Texas....I would say this should be the case more often. from what I've heard (especially from the Northeast) there are some large school state champs that would struggle against an average Texas 3A team. No offense to the ladies, but when was the last time you heard of a serious Tx HS program allowing girls on the team?:o

injuredinmelee
10-24-2009, 11:20 PM
1983 Daingerfield
2001 Everman

2007 LH isnt even a pimple on the butt of either of these two teams.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
10-24-2009, 11:21 PM
'78 tigers with erick dickerson... hell of a team... untouchable

IP-HAWKS
10-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Vernon Lions 1990 Was Impressive!!!!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Which National poll was that?! The only one I'm aware of that even existed in 1983 was USA Today and Daingerfield was NOT anywhere to be found in their Top 25 poll. WO-S finished 15th in the USA Today Final National Poll in 1987 when they won their 2nd championship in 4A and Lake Travis is the only 4A team from Texas to be ranked higher than that when they finished 4th in the 2008 poll. I've never seen a 3A team ranked anywhere in the top 25 in any national poll.

Click here --->LINK (http://www.hsfdatabase.com/usat8289.htm)

I've posted the same info many times before and looks like I'm doing it again. I firmly believe the 1983 4A Champ Bay City could have taken Daingerfield that year.

Bay City only allowed 65 points that season and beat three 5A teams and twelve 4A teams in the process whereas Daingerfield beat three 4A teams and twelve 3A teams.

Comparative Scores:

Daingerfield 10, Carthage 6
4A Semis - Lubbock Estacado 20, Carthage 16
4A Finals - Bay City 30, Lubbock Estacado 0

You should know better than anyone that you cannot do the comparing scores from games to assume an outcome..Especially when it is not even DIRECT teams, but by way of a third team

SHSBulldog00
10-25-2009, 02:17 AM
I saw Daingerfield in '83 and that is the best team I have ever seen in any class.

WOS87
10-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
You should know better than anyone that you cannot do the comparing scores from games to assume an outcome..Especially when it is not even DIRECT teams, but by way of a third team

Sorry but Bay City shutting out Lubbock Estacado 30-0 in the 1983 4A State Finals is pretty impressive; more impressive IMO than Daingerfield's 42-0 3A State Final win over Sweeny. I'm all for giving the '83 Daingerfield team props for their record but people tend to go overboard in their touting of how they would rank all-time similar to Dallas Carter '88.

Since 1980: #1 - Daingerfield '83, #2 - Pittsburg '80, #3 - Southlake Carroll '92

coachc45
10-25-2009, 03:29 AM
I love this argument!!! Mainly because it gives me a chance to brag and remember old times.

One thing I do get a kick out of is how the facts get distorted.....

Daingerfield '83 gave up 8 points that year, 2 on a punt snap that went over the punters head and 6 on the defense. Carthage scored on a long pass that was tipped by a defender. The ball should've been picked.

It was a special season and I was lucky enough to be a part of it. I was a sophomore back-up defensive end. Played JV most of that season and was moved up, but I was on the sideline for every game as a manager before I got moved up. I played a whopping 3 plays that year. HAHA, but boy did I have the best seat in the house.
Once things got rolling, you couldn't hardly get a back-up to go into the game we didn't want to be the one who screwed up and cost the team the record.

I've seen alot of football since then, including 18 years as a varsity coach, and NO TEAM ever assembled could touch that group. The O-line averaged about 275 lbs, had 4 backs that reached a 1000 or were within spitting distance. Quarterback played major league baseball. Defense had 8 kids who went on to play college ball. Overall, had 2 future NFL players and probably 20 college scholarship players.

Just an amazing group, not just for 3A, but any classification!

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Sorry but Bay City shutting out Lubbock Estacado 30-0 in the 1983 4A State Finals is pretty impressive; more impressive IMO than Daingerfield's 42-0 3A State Final win over Sweeny. I'm all for giving the '83 Daingerfield team props for their record but people tend to go overboard in their touting of how they would rank all-time similar to Dallas Carter '88.

Since 1980: #1 - Daingerfield '83, #2 - Pittsburg '80, #3 - Southlake Carroll '92

IMO Carter 88 is overrated. It is not like they dominated opponents left and right. I saw them and yes they were very good, but they were not OMG no weakness team that you shuddered in fear from

Also I would put 86 Jefferson team in the top 3.

injuredinmelee
10-25-2009, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by coachc45
I love this argument!!! Mainly because it gives me a chance to brag and remember old times.

Daingerfield '83 gave up 8 points that year, 2 on a punt snap that went over the punters head and 6 on the defense. Carthage scored on a long pass that was tipped by a defender. The ball should've been picked.

It was a special season and I was lucky enough to be a part of it. I was a sophomore back-up defensive end. Played JV most of that season and was moved up, but I was on the sideline for every game as a manager before I got moved up. I played a whopping 3 plays that year. HAHA, but boy did I have the best seat in the house.
Once things got rolling, you couldn't hardly get a back-up to go into the game we didn't want to be the one who screwed up and cost the team the record.

I've seen alot of football since then, including 18 years as a varsity coach, and NO TEAM ever assembled could touch that group. The O-line averaged about 275 lbs, had 4 backs that reached a 1000 or were within spitting distance. Quarterback played major league baseball. Defense had 8 kids who went on to play college ball. Overall, had 2 future NFL players and probably 20 college scholarship players.

IMPRESSIVE!!!

sinton66
10-25-2009, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the post. Our home page has been updated with this information.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
10-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
He's talking about the greatest team of all time, not the greatest run.

Now if you think one of those teams was the absolute best ever, then okay.

sealy went 63-1 in that 4 year run... one of those teams has to be one of the best ever

WOS1
10-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
I can't argue that any team but 83 Daingerfield was the best ever...don't know how anyone could really.

Yeah, there is really no debating this. If you're talking 3A, 83 Daingerfield, no doubt.

This is one of those threads where you should have made a pre-requisite that you could not vote for the team you support because it will become a homer fest. :D

big daddy russ
10-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Thanks for the post. Our home page has been updated with this information.
What do you think about putting a list of all posters who were a member of that team?

oldtownag
10-25-2009, 11:21 AM

Coach,

Thanks, for confiming my memory of the game. My spot on the Carthage team that year was very much the same as yours. I was on the JV during regular season and moved up to Varsity for the playoffs.

FYI, the Bulldogs had no less than 16 players that played college ball, 1 NFL pro bowler, and a world class sprinter on that team.

coachc45
10-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Coach,

Thanks, for confiming my memory of the game. My spot on the Carthage team that year was very much the same as yours. I was on the JV during regular season and moved up to Varsity for the playoffs.

FYI, the Bulldogs had no less than 16 players that played college ball, 1 NFL pro bowler, and a world class sprinter on that team.

Carthage had a special group that year.... especially with Roscoe Tatum in the backfield. If I remember correctly we held the split-back veer to about 36 yards that game.

We have close to the same story... I moved up in week ten. But just having a small part of that team is something I'll always be proud of. I was very fortunate that I got to win a State Championship of my own as a senior.

kobe24
10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by BossHog09
'08 Prosper. Best offense i've ever seen by far. Fast Recievers, State Mvp Quaterback, nasty o-line
Yeah they also had a 1400 yard back too, he was #5..great team i must say!!

BossHog09
10-26-2009, 10:22 AM
ya i know Prosper also did have alot of rushing yards behind that offensive line. I would put that o-line up against anybody. I know for sure that the leading rusher was hunter nix, and juan williams was the premier runningback, they used Byron Murroe as basically a blocking back, not much rushing yards. nix was the power and Williams was the elusiveness. but that o-line is really what made the team great.

Spread It Out
10-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you were a part of that o-line? Lol.

BossHog09
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
nope i live in Gunter,tx. my brother-in-law's son played on the o-line. I loved watching them

Yoefan11
10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
I love this thread...its impossible to choose one IMO...it would be fun to see some of those great Sealy teams go up against the 06 Lib Hill team...So many dream match ups that would just be flat out fun to watch..

kobe24
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
ya i know Prosper also did have alot of rushing yards behind that offensive line. I would put that o-line up against anybody. I know for sure that the leading rusher was hunter nix, and juan williams was the premier runningback, they used Byron Murroe as basically a blocking back, not much rushing yards. nix was the power and Williams was the elusiveness. but that o-line is really what made the team great.
hahaha Bosshog your not even from prosper!!..your from....gunter....and i believe Bryan Monroe was the main back (i would put money on that and i think every one else would agree) he had about 1,500 yards (that does not sound like a blocking back to me even though i have seen him lay out a few people with his blocking ability) and if i remember right nix had about 1,100 to add with 2,000 passing and juan who had a little over 600..all 3 are great runners and are def hard to stop..its hard to game plan around those 3 guys running at you and add in there playmakers at receiver with a senior o line.i think they had one of if not the best offense in the state and one of the best i have ever seen play...oh yeah there defense was not bad either (best in the state in 08) La Vega 10 Prosper 17 :p

Spread It Out
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
nope i live in Gunter,tx. my brother-in-law's son played on the o-line. I loved watching them

Gotcha.

shamu85
10-26-2009, 04:36 PM
There's only one thing I have to say about rating Prosper '08 as one of the greatest 3A teams of all time............

Bridgeport!

old dragon
10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
1983 Daingerfield Tigers,saw them two or three times that year,never have seen another like them.Offensively and defensively,teams not only didn't score they rarely crossed the fifty.Sent some players to pro ranks,those who kept their heads straight.

BossHog09
10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
kobe24 is Bryan Monroe from prosper. wow....

bandera7
10-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Bandera every year....

haha on a serious note, Daingerfield shouldnt count because its been accepted that they are the best 3a. We are more arguing for second now.

kobe24
10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
kobe24 is Bryan Monroe from prosper. wow....
lol i wish i was he's one heck of a RB!! sorry but i live in Bentonville and work at the wal-mart headquarters in Bentonville but thanks i'll take that as a compliment BossHog!

p.s. Stats dont lie!

OldBison75
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
In my book the 83 Daingerfield team has to be the best I have ever seen. Think about how hard it is to play a full state championship season and only give up eight points. I mean that is just one defensive back slipping or making a great deflection that just happens to float into the hands of a receiver. In the course of a full year, it is nearly impossible not to have more than one miss played ball or one slip, but they only had one missed play. And that play happened to be a tipped pass that fell into a receivers arms. AMAZING IN MY BOOK!!!!!

I can guarantee that there have been other teams have super seasons and there might have been a team that could have beat this team in another classification that year, but NOBODY could match the total dominance that they showed all year, especially defensively. Even on thier worst days on the field they were head and shoulders above the competition.

frogbacker09
10-27-2009, 02:22 AM
that prosper team overcame the bridgeport loss to win it all. true mark of champions. one heck of a team.

PPHSfan
10-28-2009, 11:57 PM
After Daingerfield, the 2004 Atlanta team was a Machine.

FmrPirate14
10-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
1983 Daingerfield
2001 Everman

2007 LH isnt even a pimple on the butt of either of these two teams.

Ohh I remember the '01 Everman team, they defeated us in the State Championship that was a heartbreaking game for us. We just couldnt finish the game. "Half-Time Champs" is what we called ourselves.

tigerfan09
10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
1983 Daingerfield
1981 Cameron Yoe
1996 Sealy

shamu85
10-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by frogbacker09
that prosper team overcame the bridgeport loss to win it all. true mark of champions. one heck of a team.

That may be, but IMO there is no way you can consider a team with a loss (to another 3A team at that) as the greatest ever.

coachc45
10-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by shamu85
That may be, but IMO there is no way you can consider a team with a loss (to another 3A team at that) as the greatest ever.

I totally agree..... There is no way Prosper can ever be listed as one of the greatest teams ever.