PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer vs. Carthage rematch possible in first round

easttexas3a
10-24-2009, 04:59 AM
With Jasper losing to Carthage, and not playing there best ball in district so far, Jasper will face Center and Rusk in their final two games.

This could lead to a first round matchup between Gilmer and Carthage.

LE Dad
10-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
With Jasper losing to Carthage, and not playing there best ball in district so far, Jasper will face Center and Rusk in their final two games.

This could lead to a first round matchup between Gilmer and Carthage. Wow!! What needs to happen for that to occur ? :confused:

poisoned10
10-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Wow!! What needs to happen for that to occur ? :confused:

Jasper needs to miss out on the playoffs and Gilmer - Carthage will play in round 1.

If Jasper does make the playoffs, it will be a Gilmer - Jasper rematch in round 1.

poisoned10
10-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Anybody know the story on Vance Green?

I never saw him go back in the game after he came out with that injury in the 1st half.

MN95
10-24-2009, 08:50 AM
would this matchup be D1 or D2?

poisoned10
10-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by MN95
would this matchup be D1 or D2?

D1.

Chapel Hill, District 17-3A's largest school, lost to Tatum last night, 14-7, moving them to 0-3 in the district and out of playoff contention.

Gilmer is the district's 2nd largest.

poisoned10
10-24-2009, 09:18 AM
After looking at possible scenarios for 17-3A, Chapel Hill still has a slight, outside chance of making the playoffs.

- Gilmer beats Gladewater and Tatum to make them 5-0.

- Tatum beats Spring Hill and loses to Gilmer to make them 4-1.

- Chapel Hill beats Bullard and Gladewater to make them 2-3.

- Gladewater loses to Gilmer and Chapel Hill to make them 2-3.

- Spring Hill loses to Tatum and beats Bullard to make them 2-3.

- Bullard loses to Chapel Hill and Spring Hill to make them 0-5.

That would have the district looking like this:

Gilmer (5-0)
Tatum (4-1)
Gladewater (2-3)
Spring Hill (2-3)
Chapel Hill (2-3)
Bullard (0-5)

I believe head-to-head is the 1st tie-breaker.

- Gladewater would be 1-1 against Spring Hill and Chapel Hill.

- Spring Hill would 1-1 against Gladewater and Chapel Hill.

- Chapel Hill would be 1-1 against Gladewater and Spring Hill.

So then, the teams would go to a points system, I believe. I'm not sure exactly what it states, but that opens the door for Chapel Hill to knock out either Gladewater or Spring Hill and send Gilmer to Div. II.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

poisoned10
10-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Again, that is just a possible scenario and not my thoughts or expectations.

Honestly, I expect Gladewater to beat Chapel Hill in week 10 and not even have to worry about a 3-way tie for 3rd.

WOS1
10-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
After looking at possible scenarios for 17-3A, Chapel Hill still has a slight, outside chance of making the playoffs.

- Gilmer beats Gladewater and Tatum to make them 5-0.

- Tatum beats Spring Hill and loses to Gilmer to make them 4-1.

- Chapel Hill beats Bullard and Gladewater to make them 2-3.

- Gladewater loses to Gilmer and Chapel Hill to make them 2-3.

- Spring Hill loses to Tatum and beats Bullard to make them 2-3.

- Bullard loses to Chapel Hill and Spring Hill to make them 0-5.

That would have the district looking like this:

Gilmer (5-0)
Tatum (4-1)
Gladewater (2-3)
Spring Hill (2-3)
Chapel Hill (2-3)
Bullard (0-5)

I believe head-to-head is the 1st tie-breaker.

- Gladewater would be 1-1 against Spring Hill and Chapel Hill.

- Spring Hill would 1-1 against Gladewater and Chapel Hill.

- Chapel Hill would be 1-1 against Gladewater and Spring Hill.

So then, the teams would go to a points system, I believe. I'm not sure exactly what it states, but that opens the door for Chapel Hill to knock out either Gladewater or Spring Hill and send Gilmer to Div. II.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, I posted that yesterday when everyone was saying that if CH lost they were out. CH just no longer controls their own destiny, but still not out of it.

Daddy D 11
10-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Where would Gilmer and Carthage play?

Aesculus gilmus
10-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Where would Gilmer and Carthage play?

SFA, I would think. Longview Lobo Stadium is centrally located, but not thought playoff-worthy anymore, as I understand it.

I don't think this is going to happen. It amazes me how much effort the Buckeye Nation goes through trying to envision rematches with opponents they have lost to the year before.

I've seen the same phenomenon play out in the past with Daingerfield in 2003 and Liberty-Eylau in 2007.

As for "Code Red" and all that, I'm sure there'll be some teams we play who have red as a color in D1. Heck, Jasper is close to being red.

WO-S 89
10-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Something wrong with the playoff system if you have the #1 vs. #2 in the first round of the playoffs. Just my opinion.

eagles_victory
10-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Ev will be there to watch either matchup.

Daddy D 11
10-24-2009, 11:27 AM
I definitely want to come to this one, that way I see Gilmer play before they get upset on their way to the title game:D

easttexas3a
10-24-2009, 03:19 PM
As far as vance green is concerned I heard at the game last night that it was just a minor sprain, something he might miss a couple of practices over but nothing major.

What has to happen is Jasper has to lose to rusk and center, both of those teams are pretty good too so it could happen.

WOS1
10-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Never going to happen. Jasper will win both handily.

WOS87
10-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Never going to happen. Jasper will win both handily.

Rusk played Carthage a LOT closer than Jasper did and Center beat Rusk last night... I'm not saying I predict it to happen but it's a definite possibility

JasperDog94
10-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Never going to happen. Jasper will win both handily. I would have to agree. I could be wrong but I just don't see those games being very close. Jasper should cruise into the playoffs.

Could they lose? Sure...anything is possible, it would be highly unlikely.

j_dog
10-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Rusk played Carthage a LOT closer than Jasper did and Center beat Rusk last night... I'm not saying I predict it to happen but it's a definite possibility
Not sure that is a valid comparison. I could be wrong here. But I think I read that Rusk scored its points against the Carthage second string. I never saw anything that looked like "second string" last night against Jasper. But the only way I could tell was that I did not see any clean uniforms late in the game. Maybe they brought dirty uniforms for the reserves. :confused:

WOS87
10-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Not sure that is a valid comparison. I could be wrong here. But I think I read that Rusk scored its points against the Carthage second string. I never saw anything that looked like "second string" last night against Jasper. But the only way I could tell was that I did not see any clean uniforms late in the game. Maybe they brought dirty uniforms for the reserves. :confused:

Either way, it's not a pretty picture for Jasper
Scenario 1 - Lose to Rusk and Center and not make the playoffs at all
Scenario 2 - Play Gilmer in Bi-District

waterboy
10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I definitely want to come to this one, that way I see Gilmer play before they get upset on their way to the title game:D
Haha.......all I know is that Carthage will NOT beat Gilmer in a rematch. You can take that to the bank! Too bad we will not get to meet LH.......:D

Superbacker 00'
10-26-2009, 11:42 AM
would love for them to meet up this would knock off a seasoned champ which is always good for everbody else