PDA

View Full Version : I'm with 3Aroy - Newton's Got The Talent

Timberwolve
08-27-2001, 12:50 AM
I read the post by 3Aroy posted earlier and his assessment is right on line with reports I received this morning. Unfortunately, I was at the hospital Saturday afternoon and evening with an ill relative, but I requested a retired coach friend of mine to drive up country and check out the TJ and Newton scrimmage. His opinion was very similar to 3Aroy's. The e-mail I received this morning was even more detailed. The Coach I had attend the scrimmage was an OL Coach and sure enough his letter was a bit more detailed concerning the Offensive performance...just in his blood! To shorten up this posting a bit, the following recap is excerpt:

"...Defensively, Newton was dynamic even with several players going O and D. Under the defensive coaching leadership of W.T. Johnston, his group has the early signs of developing into a multi-talented force that few if any 3-A teams will be able to overcome. Last season the pass coverage was sporatic due to injuries and the recruitment of inexperienced freshman and sophomores. The cornerback coverage by Newton in 2000 stumbled as a result. I was amazed at the turnaround performance tonight displayed by Newton's CB's and Safety's deep pass defense, although TJ's quarteback performed with precision accuracy on several deep pass plays. Still, the defensive coverage was tight. Newton's 1st year letterman ML, Tray Bennett performed like a seasoned senior. This athlete will, bar injury, make the All-District ranks this year. Kenyon Scott, an outstanding college prospect I'm told, performed to the level expected. He played TE as well as DT and crashed the line several times as TJ's QB will attest. I wasn't able to get many of the other D players names but I'll assure you that Johnston is working his magic touch and the entire D will be humming within a couple of weeks. I had the pleasure of watching the '98 3A-Div.II State Championship game and I see what this Coach can do with talent. The junior QB, Logan Greer, passed extremely well, kept the ball on a couple of options and raced like a RB and executed his handoffs with precision. Newton's offensive line did have some problems containing DT's and LB's on blitz. The locals I was sitting with in the stands helped me identify several players especially the Offensive Line. I did notice that when Newton rotated to what appeared to be the backup OL players, holes were blown through at will...evidently several backups were 1st year letters and inexperienced, but considering the power and speed by TJ's DL, they worked hard. The boys OL starters Coach Thompson (Newton's State Championship Head Coach in '74)look good. Tackles John Watson and Charlie Morris, both seniors as I was told, worked their assignments and executed plays extremely well, especially given the size and speed of their defensive opponents. A player that really caught my eye was the Center, Max Karpel. I listened to the Newton fans around me and found out that he is barely 16, a junior and a 2nd year starter. He had his hands full with a NG that resembled a tank. Karpel proved his heart and emerging talent as he held off his opponent many more times than not, then sprinted to a MLB or OLB and administered a block or chop just long enough for the RB to make a safe exit. This kid is going places. Bryan Ferguson, a senior Guard played well and probably had a 70 percent Blk. Avg...quick, strong and experienced. The other Guard, I was told a Sophomore and 1st year letter, Cane Smith, was challenged all evening and Blk. Avg should increase if he gains experience and confidence prior to district play"....

3Aroy
08-27-2001, 09:15 PM
Your friend was paying attention well. This week Newton scrimmages LC-M, but I am really ready for the Lincoln game 9-7-01!