PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

DDBooger
10-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Anyone running it yet?

DU_stud04
10-23-2009, 01:59 PM
love it. been running it for a few months now with the rc version. its everything and more vista should have been.

DDBooger
10-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
love it. been running it for a few months now with the rc version. its everything and more vista should have been.
sweet, getting it today, what version do you have?

DU_stud04
10-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
sweet, getting it today, what version do you have? Ultimate

Keith7
10-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Seems like they are trying too hard to be Macs now.. I guess maybe that's a good strategy considering how much better apple is than microsoft

Daddy D 11
10-23-2009, 04:58 PM
How's it similar to a mac? My roommate is thinking about buying it.

Keith7
10-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
How's it similar to a mac? My roommate is thinking about buying it.

Their ad campaign screams that they want to be like Mac.. "It's simple, less clicks, they listen to us, it's easy to use, less crashes, yada yada yada.." Mac wannabes

Daddy D 11
10-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Their ad campaign screams that they want to be like Mac.. "It's simple, less clicks, they listen to us, it's easy to use, less crashes, yada yada yada.." Mac wannabes

Yeah. I have a make so I don't care lol I was just wondering

big daddy russ
10-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Macs suck. Worst computers ever.

turbostud
10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Macs suck. Worst computers ever.

:D

Move The Chains
10-24-2009, 07:39 PM
I saw a tutorial of Windows 7 because I was thinking about getting it, BUT the tutorial was very unimpressive. I saw nothing that my vista doesn't already do. Can someone explain to me what's so great about 7?

CHS_CG
10-24-2009, 08:22 PM
ok i have a question... in July I got a new laptop that came with a free upgrade to windows 7. I called best buy (since thats where I got it from) and one guy said, go on the website, and it will give you instructions to upgrade. I couldnt find the link when I got home so I called back and another guy told me best buy doesnt handle that, I'd have to mail my proof of purchase and the form I got with the computer to Microsoft and they would send me the cd (well I didnt get a form with the computer.) Then when I finally found the stuff on bestbuy.com it says for 39.99 I can bring my computer in and have a geek squad professional take care of the upgrade... so I am totally confused now and REALLY REALLY wanna get ride of vista... anybody know what I am supposed to do?:confused:

big daddy russ
10-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
ok i have a question... in July I got a new laptop that came with a free upgrade to windows 7. I called best buy (since thats where I got it from) and one guy said, go on the website, and it will give you instructions to upgrade. I couldnt find the link when I got home so I called back and another guy told me best buy doesnt handle that, I'd have to mail my proof of purchase and the form I got with the computer to Microsoft and they would send me the cd (well I didnt get a form with the computer.) Then when I finally found the stuff on bestbuy.com it says for 39.99 I can bring my computer in and have a geek squad professional take care of the upgrade... so I am totally confused now and REALLY REALLY wanna get ride of vista... anybody know what I am supposed to do?:confused:
That's a good question. Although I can't tell you what to do, a good idea would be to take your receipt and the original box to Best Buy and talk to their geek squad.

If they can't help you, ask to talk to a manager, show that you have all the original documentation, and find out what you should do from there. According to the Microsoft website, the retailers are the ones who are supposed to take care of this upgrade, NOT Microsoft.

link (http://www.microsoft.com/malaysia/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx)

And if the store manager can't help you out, just ask for the regional or district manager's phone number. Etc, etc.

SHSBulldog00
10-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Waiting for $$$$$!

IHStangFan
10-26-2009, 11:57 PM
I've had the beta and the release candidate for over 6 months now. Vista minus some of the garbage, and designed to manage resources a little better.....like a Mac. That was Vista's downfall.....resource hog.

I've had a Mac Book Pro for about 6 months now. I'll never buy another Windows based machine.....EVER.

slpybear the bullfan
10-27-2009, 11:04 AM
My wife was issued a Mac Book for work. I think the touch pad is really cool. Other than that? It really doesn't do anything different than my laptop.

I am a professional business user. And I love to play awesome games. Haven't seen anything other than the touchpad that would make me want to jump ship, (and I am sure that I will have a knock off of that by the time I get my next PC).

Anyone have any other concrete factors that might sway my opinion? Pretty cases, simple desktops, and the touchpad ain't doing it so far.

slpybear the bullfan
10-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh... sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

W7... I am not going to upgrade the home PC. It is running XPSP3 and don't really need to drop any $$$ as I plan on replacing it next year.

My company laptop is not going to be upgraded, so I will wait to see.

From what I have seen so far, it looks like a slick evolution of XP. I didn't mind Vista, but haven't had to be a daily user of it.

Looking forward to it.

IHStangFan
10-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
My wife was issued a Mac Book for work. I think the touch pad is really cool. Other than that? It really doesn't do anything different than my laptop.

I am a professional business user. And I love to play awesome games. Haven't seen anything other than the touchpad that would make me want to jump ship, (and I am sure that I will have a knock off of that by the time I get my next PC).

Anyone have any other concrete factors that might sway my opinion? Pretty cases, simple desktops, and the touchpad ain't doing it so far. Hey there slpy.....yeah...this is the standard response from Windows users when they first encounter a Mac......they want to know what the machine is doing different and while it DOES do some things different the user can SEE.....it's the things it's doing that the user CAN'T see that set it apart.....i.e. MUCH better resource allocation.....which equates to a much faster, smoother running machine. That's just one instance.

(ETA a better description of the above statement)......

Okay...the way I've read an understood it is....say with Vista...you are running a program that calls for 512M of RAM to use.....Vista will allocate 512M to it no matter WHAT it is doing....even if the program is sitting idle....it's using up 512M of RAM.....

Mac/OS-X on the other hand.....will initially allocate the 512M to the program that it calls for....but then depending on what the program is doing.....it will dial it down to whatever the program is actually needing to perform a certain function. It can also allocate RAM from other areas of the machine if needed.....basically reroute video RAM, etc. depending on where it might be needed.

On a side note.....when you gonna throw up some hunting pics?!?!? :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I have a laptop that is almost 4 years old and I'm running Windows 7 on it more smoothly than XP ever ran on it. Considering the hardware that I have on it and how well it runs, that's saying a lot.

big daddy russ
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I've had the beta and the release candidate for over 6 months now. Vista minus some of the garbage, and designed to manage resources a little better.....like a Mac. That was Vista's downfall.....resource hog.

I've had a Mac Book Pro for about 6 months now. I'll never buy another Windows based machine.....EVER.
I see you've finally come over to the dark side.

I used to be a Mac hater until I took the job at the newspaper. After that, I wanted to make the switch but just couldn't afford a Mac. The thing that makes them appear so overpriced is what you see on paper.

PC---$820
2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor
6 GB DDR3 RAM
750 GB SATA Hard Drive
HP w/HP's top-of-the-line Intel chipset motherboard

MAC---$948
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 DUAL-Core Processor
4 GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB SATA Hard Drive
Stock mobo

When you look at the specs of the PC, you get a Quad Core (instead of dual core) processor that just happens to be faster than the Mac, enabling the PC to compute twice as many functions faster than the Mac. You also get more memory, more storage, and a top-of-the-line mother board to filter it all. And all for $130 cheaper. (PS: These are two actual computers.)

What those pieces of paper will never tell you is that it's kind of like lining up a 6.0L 360-HP Suburban against 2.2L 118-HP Lotus Elise in the quarter mile. The Elise doesn't have the engine the Suburban does, but it doesn't need it.

Same thing with the Mac. And on top of it all, it's more stable than my hand-built AMD Opteron-based desktop that runs Linux. That's supposed to be about the most stable desktop you can get.

I'm not a PC hater. If you don't have the $$$ to throw down on a Mac, by all means, get into a PC. But if you have the money, there's no reason not to go with a Mac.

slpybear the bullfan
10-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
On a side note.....when you gonna throw up some hunting pics?!?!? :D

Prolly this weekend... I pulled my camera a couple of weeks ago due to a LCD that died on me. I had ordered a replacement LCD and went through and changed it. I dropped it off by the feeder again last Saturday so I am waiting a week before I go pick it up again.

Blackcat1954
11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
XP at home

Mac on computer at work and on laptop I Book G4