PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater / Snyder Preview Article

Phantom Stang
10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Sweetwater, Snyder badly need a win
Written by Ron Howell
Thursday, 22 October 2009

Sweetwater vs. Snyder. It’s always been a big game between the nearby towns, and it will be no different when their football teams face off again this Friday.
In fact, according to Mustang coach Craig Slaughter, for a non-playoff game, this is as big as it gets.
That’s because Friday’s winner still has a realistic chance of going beyond the regular season and into the postseason, while the loser has a lot of work to do.
Sweetwater is currently 1-1 in district, but still has to face Brownwood (1-1) and No. 3-ranked Wylie (2-0). Snyder lost to Wylie 17-0 this past week after falling to No. 6 Graham, 28-14, in its district opener.
While it’s been a rebuilding year for both teams, each has shown noticeable improvement lately.
Snyder held Wylie to 250 yards — including just 71 rushing — and one offensive touchdown which came on its opening drive, but was unable to score against the Bullldogs’ tough defense. The Tigers were mostly without sophomore quarterback Kennon Ward, who was limited to one play in the game after missing practice earlier in the week due to the flu. That one play was disastrous as Ward was stripped of the ball and Wylie picked it up and returned it for a score.
Ward has a total of 1,438 yards this season, passing for 1,043 yards and 14 TDs plus a team-high 395 yards rushing. Against Graham, he threw a first-quarter TD pass to give Snyder a 7-0 lead before Graham eventually rallied to pull out the win in the fourth quarter.
Despite losing 45-14 this past week, Sweetwater also played Graham a lot tougher than the final score suggests.
The teams were all knotted up, 14-14, when Sweetwater scored in the second quarter on a 51-yard pass to Ken Norman from sophomore QB Taylor Jones, who then threw a two-point conversion pass to Clint Jay. But the Mustangs were unable to score again as Graham scored the last 31 points, including a third-quarter TD that came on a 40-yard fumble return.
Jones has thrown for 505 yards on 33-of-62 passing in just four games this season, while B.J. Walker has rushed for 538 yards. Nor-man scored both touchdowns against Graham.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/172171/122/

Phantom Stang
10-23-2009, 12:39 PM
ttt

Ex-Tiger2005
10-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Where are the good places to eat in S'water? I have not realized til now that I have not been to S'water in forever and I cant remember where the hot spots are!

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
Where are the good places to eat in S'water? I have not realized til now that I have not been to S'water in forever and I cant remember where the hot spots are!

Come meet me and a few Snyder folks that you already know at Ma Allen's.

Ex-Tiger2005
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Come meet me and a few Snyder folks that you already know at Ma Allen's.

What time yall meeting cuz I am driving from Lamesa?!?!

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
What time yall meeting cuz I am driving from Lamesa?!?!

That's right. I wasn't thinking. Plans are to show up about 5:30 which is
probably way too early for you.

Ex-Tiger2005
10-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
That's right. I wasn't thinking. Plans are to show up about 5:30 which is
probably way too early for you.

Prolly becuz I wont leave here til at least 4:45! But that Ma Allens is pretty good? What kind of food is that?

DU_stud04
10-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Prolly becuz I wont leave here til at least 4:45! But that Ma Allens is pretty good? What kind of food is that? fried chicken, family dinner type setting. im not a fan of overcooked chicken, people say its awesome, but i highly doubt what people think. cobbler is good though.

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Prolly becuz I wont leave here til at least 4:45! But that Ma Allens is pretty good? What kind of food is that?

I have honestly never eaten there. This will be my first time. DaHop and Stang Red say
it's awesome.

STANG RED
10-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Ma Allens is the place to be. I'm meeting DaHop and others there at 5:30.
But I'm being fitted for a bullet proof vest first. :D
Should I wear a kevlar hat as well? :thinking: