PDA

View Full Version : Why Sherman can afford to lose

dawg4life
10-22-2009, 01:25 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/Why_Sherman_can_afford_to_lose.html

Are you kidding me? I dont think he can afford to lose. The A&M boosters will rally up the money if they need to buy out sherman.

Old Tiger
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by dawg4life
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/Why_Sherman_can_afford_to_lose.html

Are you kidding me? I dont think he can afford to lose. The A&M boosters will rally up the money if they need to buy out sherman. In case you didn't know money is tight around A&M these days.

Yoe_09
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
If he loses many more games like he did t K-State he wont be here much loner.

dawg4life
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
whys that?

Old Tiger
10-22-2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.theeagle.com/am/A-amp-amp-M-athletics-reworks-budget-to-pay-loan

dawg4life
10-22-2009, 01:34 PM
yikes. but i still think that if he continues like this, they will find the money

injuredinmelee
10-22-2009, 01:37 PM
not trying to start a fight but have they gotten any better at anything since he took over? I got sick of hearing after their first 3 games about hopw they led the Big 12 in offense yadda yadda yadda... well they were playing total crap teams.

Pendragon13
10-22-2009, 01:38 PM
yikes. but i still think that if he continues like this, they will find the money Only if losing ( lack of bowl games/national exposure/tv deals) costs them more than keeping him around. A couple years ago before the stock market crash they would have already raised buyout money.

coach
10-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
In case you didn't know money is tight around A&M these days.

maybe they are getting a loan to buy out his contract..

dawg4life
10-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
not trying to start a fight but have they gotten any better at anything since he took over? I got sick of hearing after their first 3 games about hopw they led the Big 12 in offense yadda yadda yadda... well they were playing total crap teams.

they were better. we barely beat UNM last year and we won 49-7. But last year was rediculous. But after KSU, that "little" improvement meant nothing. it really doesnt. They have players to make plays, but they arnt even a top 50 team.

injuredinmelee
10-22-2009, 02:28 PM
the thing i see that seperates aggies from the good teams is speed. They dont seem to have much of it. Sure there are a few guys that can run but I mean seriously look at it next time you see them. They look slower than everyone else.

SchmidtAggie12
10-22-2009, 02:31 PM
the recruiting he is doing is ALOT better than it has been in years! there is only 4 or 5 starters from the 06 and 07 recruiting classes left. he is starting from scratch..he has four 4 star linemen coming in in 2010...give him another year or two and he will have them competing for the Big 12 championship once again..

Move The Chains
10-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by SchmidtAggie12
the recruiting he is doing is ALOT better than it has been in years! there is only 4 or 5 starters from the 06 and 07 recruiting classes left. he is starting from scratch..he has four 4 star linemen coming in in 2010...give him another year or two and he will have them competing for the Big 12 championship once again.. Still, no reason to lose to KSU like we did.

Pendragon13
10-22-2009, 02:54 PM
the recruiting he is doing is ALOT better than it has been in years! there is only 4 or 5 starters from the 06 and 07 recruiting classes left. he is starting from scratch..he has four 4 star linemen coming in in 2010...give him another year or two and he will have them competing for the Big 12 championship once again.. All the more reason why something else has to be wrong...

dawg4life
10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
All the more reason why something else has to be wrong...

exactly. You have to be both a recuiter and a coach. RC was just a coach. Fran was....who knows. ill take a good coach over a recruiter anyday.

Move The Chains
10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
exactly. You have to be both a recuiter and a coach. RC was just a coach. Fran was....who knows. ill take a good coach over a recruiter anyday. Is it too much to ask for to get someone who can do both?

coach
10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
the thing i see that seperates aggies from the good teams is speed. They dont seem to have much of it. Sure there are a few guys that can run but I mean seriously look at it next time you see them. They look slower than everyone else.

wron...what seperates the ags and good team is how young tey are AND both lines...both are terrrible...honestly the skill positions are prettty dang good but you cant win with no dl or ol

dawg4life
10-22-2009, 03:38 PM
right. von miller has smoked double teams from the A&M OL starters. Granted von miller is good, you shouldnt be able to beat Double teams very often.

Gobbler Fan
10-22-2009, 03:57 PM
the recruiting he is doing is ALOT better than it has been in years! there is only 4 or 5 starters from the 06 and 07 recruiting classes left. he is starting from scratch..he has four 4 star linemen coming in in 2010...give him another year or two and he will have them competing for the Big 12 championship once again..

LMAO ...greatness :clap:

SchmidtAggie12
10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
ur right and i agree we shuldnt have lost that bad to ksu..but both of our lines suck and until we get that fixed jj or any quarterback is gunna be running for his life against any decent team..the defense cant get pressure (besides von miller) but we got some recruits that look good. we will be stacked with good players in 1 or 2 years and once they get a little experience under their belt we shuld be very good..If we cant get it done then we will be stacked with talent that hopefully another coach can put to good use...its hard to turn a team around in 2 years..u can say all u want bout bama or another team doing it but they already had talent waiting for the new coach to utilize..Sherman had to start from scratch with only 5 guys from the 06 and 07 recruiting class starting, there has been over 20 freshman start this year..hes doing a good job with all he has right now. Looks to be a bright future for ATM in my opinion.

BwdLions
10-22-2009, 04:12 PM

Yeah, I thought there should have been a laughing smiley face, or the punch line to the joke after that last sentence. I guess he's serious.

big daddy russ
10-22-2009, 04:37 PM
A&M's consistently had top-ten and top-15 recruiting classes the last decade, they just haven't done anything with it.

New coaches always struggle to find players that fit their system. Look at what Bama did when Saban got there. It wasn't just that Bama was lacking size two years ago, they were lacking strength, just as they did under Shula.

Saban found the players to put in that 3-4 of his, with a front seven bigger than most NFL defenses, and they found their way back into the elite on the back of that defense.

Just down the road in Auburn, the philosophy is completely different. A 4-3 that focuses on how much speed you can get on the field at once. Exactly opposite of Bama, the d-line averages about 270 pounds while the Tide goes somewhere in the 320 range. And when Chizik came back to Auburn, the talent he needed was already there, locked and loaded.

A&M has the talent to compete with anyone in the nation. If West Virginia and Auburn can make runs at National Titles behind two- and three-star recruits, there's no reason A&M shouldn't with all that talent in College Station. It's just finding the right talent to match the system, and so far both the right talent and the right system have been tough to come by.

dawg4life
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
ur right and i agree we shuldnt have lost that bad to ksu..but both of our lines suck and until we get that fixed jj or any quarterback is gunna be running for his life against any decent team..the defense cant get pressure (besides von miller) but we got some recruits that look good. we will be stacked with good players in 1 or 2 years and once they get a little experience under their belt we shuld be very good..If we cant get it done then we will be stacked with talent that hopefully another coach can put to good use...its hard to turn a team around in 2 years..u can say all u want bout bama or another team doing it but they already had talent waiting for the new coach to utilize..Sherman had to start from scratch with only 5 guys from the 06 and 07 recruiting class starting, there has been over 20 freshman start this year..hes doing a good job with all he has right now. Looks to be a bright future for ATM in my opinion.

youd be right if A&M was a POS team when sherman got there. but they competed every year after frans first. we went to the cotton bowl! this WAS a competing program sherman stepped into to, not Baylor. And with that, sherman should not lose to the likes of KSU if its his first game nevertheless mid 2nd season

rancher
10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Sherman has one more year before is hung. Having dinner recently with a former NFL and Aggie player, who has influence on the booster club, he explained it this way. When Bob Stoops was in his second year at OU, National Title. Mack Brown, in three years, UT was back. Nick Saben, in two years, Bama was 12-0. Pete Carroll in three years had SC back. If Texas and OU are a 9 on the scale, TT is a 7, OSU 6-7, Baylor a 5, the Aggies are a 3. With the money being spent, he better win and win big by year 3. If not, hell will start being unleased.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
We're going to win on Saturday. And we're going to play hard and compete the rest of the season. I honestly don't think we will lose another game in conference if we play up to our potential.

rancher
10-22-2009, 07:17 PM
According to Aggie math, Texas Tech will be guns up with 100 points. TT beats KSU by 42, Aggies Lose to KSU by 58 = 100 points will be put up by the Red Raiders in Lubbock. Could happen with this defense.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by rancher
According to Aggie math, Texas Tech will be guns up with 100 points. TT beats KSU by 42, Aggies Lose to KSU by 58 = 100 points will be put up by the Red Raiders in Lubbock. Could happen with this defense.

That's a really stupid thing to say.

Gobbla2001
10-22-2009, 08:16 PM
#1 Sherman's a good coach...

#2 A&M has always had the talent...

I think you have to give Sherman another year... he'll have all of his guys in there, he'll have had three years to get the whole system in there... after next year I think everyone will be able to tell if Sherman is the right fit...

Sherman just strikes me as too much of an NFL and by-the-book type of guy... I think you have to have a different attitude coaching a bunch of college guys... I'm not sure if he has that or not... You see some NFL guys go down to college and do bad, but are just great NFL guys and succeed when they go back... you see some college guys go up to the NFL and do bad, but are just great college guys and do well when they go back...

It's like some NFL coordinators are just great coordinators, not built for getting all of the control at the HC position... when they move back to coordinator they do excellent...

Dunno about Sherman, I don't think you can fully tell this season...

Move The Chains
10-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by rancher
According to Aggie math, Texas Tech will be guns up with 100 points. TT beats KSU by 42, Aggies Lose to KSU by 58 = 100 points will be put up by the Red Raiders in Lubbock. Could happen with this defense. A&M lost 62-14. My math says that's a 48 point loss, not 58.

raider red 2000
10-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
That's a really stupid thing to say.

if TECH smokes the aggies again.

will you sport a TECH shirt for a day?

Move The Chains
10-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

will you sport a TECH shirt for a day? :eek:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-22-2009, 08:31 PM

will you sport a TECH shirt for a day?

No, because I'm not a Tech fan in the very least. I'm proud of the team that I am a member of and we have goals and expectations that we maintain no matter what. I believe we will go out and compete at a high level and will win.

Move The Chains
10-22-2009, 08:31 PM
No, because I'm not a Tech fan in the very least. I'm proud of the team that I am a member of and we have goals and expectations that we maintain no matter what. I believe we will go out and compete at a high level and will win. :clap:

raider red 2000
10-22-2009, 09:04 PM
No, because I'm not a Tech fan in the very least. I'm proud of the team that I am a member of and we have goals and expectations that we maintain no matter what. I believe we will go out and compete at a high level and will win.

how cute.

good luck.

Txbroadcaster
10-22-2009, 09:19 PM
how cute.

good luck.

why would u act like that torwards someone on the team? what is he supposed to do? Give up?

raider red 2000
10-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
why would u act like that torwards someone on the team? what is he supposed to do? Give up?

i am in a jerky mood.

Move The Chains
10-22-2009, 09:38 PM
i am in a jerky mood. lol

slingshot
10-22-2009, 11:25 PM
We're going to win on Saturday... I'm sure you will... now, wait, you didn't mean this Saturday did you? Because Tech's gonna roll ya'll. Hard. Again.

Guns Up! :D

SchmidtAggie12
10-23-2009, 09:06 AM
youd be right if A&M was a POS team when sherman got there. but they competed every year after frans first. we went to the cotton bowl! this WAS a competing program sherman stepped into to, not Baylor. And with that, sherman should not lose to the likes of KSU if its his first game nevertheless mid 2nd season

Fran lead the aggies to there first losing season in 21 years...

2003- 4-8 77-0 loss to OU
2004- 7-5 bowl loss 38-7
2005- 5-6 107th ranked defense
2006- 9-3 bowl loss 45 - 10
2007- 7-5 bowl loss 24-17

he never finished better than third in the big 12 south

They did NOT compete any year except maybe the 06 season...go look at their record and stats from the 1990's...THAT is competing.

we have been horrible in the new decade and its going to take a little bit to turn it around..we are finally getting talent and hopefully will put it to good use..if we cant then i agree we need to find a new coach..sum1 preferably like muschamp of texas that gets his squad fired up and ready to go

but we need to give Sherman a little more time

Old Tiger
10-23-2009, 09:12 AM

In A&M's defense the KSU team was better than the Oklahoma team who beat A&M 77-0 but only because they got to 62 faster...well thats what i read on TexAgs

SchmidtAggie12
10-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Old Tiger do u have a texags handle or are u just a lurker?

SchmidtAggie12
10-23-2009, 09:22 AM
and the ksu team was NOT better than that OU team

Old Tiger
10-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I have one but I only post occasionally over there because I'm not an Aggie Fan at all. I never sais they were Schmidt just paraphrasing what I saw on the internet.

SchmidtAggie12
10-23-2009, 09:30 AM
oh i gotcha..cause i think the sooners were ranked like 3rd or sumthin..

raider red 2000
10-24-2009, 09:41 PM
good job dude

navscanmaster
10-24-2009, 10:40 PM
good job dude

Kind of just like "well, hell, he was right."

:D

wtfootball
10-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Seems to me that he benched his inherited team and beat the hell out of tech with a bunch of freshmen. Sherman will be fine and anyone that doesn't think A&M has deep pockets is crazy. Money is not the problem, if they wanted him gone, he would be gone. He will be there at least 4 years before judgement is made.

wtfootball
10-25-2009, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by slingshot
I'm sure you will... now, wait, you didn't mean this Saturday did you? Because Tech's gonna roll ya'll. Hard. Again.

Guns Up! :D

I"m sorry, did you say something about a gun?????

slingshot
10-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by wtfootball
I"m sorry, did you say something about a gun????? Yep--I did. :doh: Now I'll take my crow well done with a side of humilation... good game Ags :thumbsup: .

SchmidtAggie12
10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
ttt for sherman bouncing back and like i said just give him some time and he will have this team at the top once again!

trojandad
10-27-2009, 05:15 PM
did someone actually say money is tight at a&m? lord have mercy.....

dawg4life
10-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by trojandad

No joke. thats what everyones saying. dont know how or why though

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Bill Byrne and the Athletic Department took out a loan from the University a few years ago when Gates was still President and we haven't paid it back yet.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by wtfootball
Seems to me that he benched his inherited team and beat the hell out of tech with a bunch of freshmen. Sherman will be fine and anyone that doesn't think A&M has deep pockets is crazy. Money is not the problem, if they wanted him gone, he would be gone. He will be there at least 4 years before judgement is made.

Most of the Freshman play on special teams....there aren't that many that really have that huge of an impact. Jackson, EZ, Stewart, Harris, Neely, and Michael are the only ones who really produce a whole lot on either side of the ball. Most of the others just play on Special Teams.

Oh yeah, and I returned to practice the middle of last week, but I doubt I will get to play any this year since I've missed the past 8+ weeks and didn't get to touch a weight until yesterday. But at least I'm finally back and healthy. :)

trojandad
10-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Bill Byrne and the Athletic Department took out a loan from the University a few years ago when Gates was still President and we haven't paid it back yet.

first, nobody except the parties involved know about repayments, loan obligations, numbers bouncing or any internal scenarios, but saying a&m is short of cash reminds me of my wife coming home from the engineering school there and telling me she was listening to these foolish freshmen talking about how a&m was about to privatize and walk away from their $10+ billion endowment, then they proceded to list reason after reason why it was so......she asked them if they checked their brain at northgate and forgot to pick it up.....

some people just have to make up stuff to worry about......i know this is strong talk from me but holy underwear, batman.....:nerd:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
first, nobody except the parties involved know about repayments, loan obligations, numbers bouncing or any internal scenarios, but saying a&m is short of cash reminds me of my wife coming home from the engineering school there and telling me she was listening to these foolish freshmen talking about how a&m was about to privatize and walk away from their $10+ billion endowment, then they proceded to list reason after reason why it was so......she asked them if they checked their brain at northgate and forgot to pick it up.....

some people just have to make up stuff to worry about......i know this is strong talk from me but holy underwear, batman.....:nerd:

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/08/22/0822txamfinances.html

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/08/22/0822finances.html

Here is another.

As a student-athlete here, I've seen how we have been making cuts on spending first hand. No need to make things up that I actually know something about.

navscanmaster
10-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Most of the Freshman play on special teams....there aren't that many that really have that huge of an impact. Jackson, EZ, Stewart, Harris, Neely, and Michael are the only ones who really produce a whole lot on either side of the ball. Most of the others just play on Special Teams.

Oh yeah, and I returned to practice the middle of last week, but I doubt I will get to play any this year since I've missed the past 8+ weeks and didn't get to touch a weight until yesterday. But at least I'm finally back and healthy. :)

Can you get a medical exemption, like Shipley at UT?

trojandad
10-27-2009, 08:47 PM
well you may be as right as rain, but two things:

no student athlete i know of has ever sat in on administrative athletic department meetings and

my grandfather was family friends with the Zachry and my friend, God rest his soul, was one of their advisors, and they can't speak higher of the financial strength of both the engineering AND athletic departments, so you may feel you know, but i'll take my chances on the major backers knowledge of the university, they are strong, my friend.....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Can you get a medical exemption, like Shipley at UT?

Probably, but I don't want one. It will be nice to move on with my life haha. I'll be back next year if my back holds out the rest of this season and give it another go.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
well you may be as right as rain, but two things:

no student athlete i know of has ever sat in on administrative athletic department meetings and

my grandfather was family friends with the Zachry and my friend, God rest his soul, was one of their advisors, and they can't speak higher of the financial strength of both the engineering AND athletic departments, so you may feel you know, but i'll take my chances on the major backers knowledge of the university, they are strong, my friend.....

Dude, there are articles that point out the things you said that "nobody would know about" so I don't see what your argument is?

trojandad
10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
did i not say you might be right? try the same path, son.

SintonFan
10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Probably, but I don't want one. It will be nice to move on with my life haha. I'll be back next year if my back holds out the rest of this season and give it another go.

Great win G-man!
I hope you get an opportunity to showcase your talent before you leave. :cool:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Great win G-man!
I hope you get an opportunity to showcase your talent before you leave. :cool:

Haha I hope so too. I ran scout defense today and had some nice plays. I actually impressed myself with how well I played considering I haven't played in weeks and lost ten pounds of muscle.

SintonFan
10-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Haha I hope so too. I ran scout defense today and had some nice plays. I actually impressed myself with how well I played considering I haven't played in weeks and lost ten pounds of muscle.

I lost 1 pound of muscle from not bike riding 10 miles this week(first time since March!) and can tell. don't tell philc lol
Good luck and concentrate on improving yourself and your teammates. I think you guys will hopefully go on a roll now.:clap:

big daddy russ
10-28-2009, 03:28 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I've lost 20 pounds of muscle and replaced it with 80 pounds of fat in the past six years.