PDA

View Full Version : Why Umps So Bad In Postseason?

Bullaholic
10-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Why do the umps seem to be 'blowing' so many calls in the postseason?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/tom_verducci/10/21/five.cuts/index.html?bcnn=yes#

Daddy D 11
10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Well Tim Mclelland has long been the worst umpire in the bigs. The man is an idiot.

But there's definetley been some very odd scenarios that you don't see very often. On about half of the calls, I'll give them a little lee way only because they've been so bizarre.

But the call on the double play in game 2 of the Yanks/Angels series with Aybar and the Napoli play last night were both HORRIBLE calls. Damn idiots.

zebrablue2
10-21-2009, 07:30 PM
if i were the 2ed and 3rd base umps from last night, I would retire. if the eyes are gone, let in some youth, that have good eyes of course:D

Yoe_09
10-21-2009, 07:34 PM
I dont know how the guy missed that call on 3rd last night. Both of the guys were obvioulsy off the bag and he tags them both. How much simpler can it get? I dont know what makes me more sick the umps or the refs throwing flags on every GOOD HIT.

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Well Tim Mclelland has long been the worst umpire in the bigs. The man is an idiot.

But there's definetley been some very odd scenarios that you don't see very often. On about half of the calls, I'll give them a little lee way only because they've been so bizarre.

But the call on the double play in game 2 of the Yanks/Angels series with Aybar and the Napoli play last night were both HORRIBLE calls. Damn idiots.

Tim is one of the most respected umps in the game as far as the players and mangers

Astrosdawg07
10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Tim is one of the most respected umps in the game as far as the players and mangers

I hear that! I would give anything to learn from him.

BaseballUmp
10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Well they are obviously the best of the best to be calling the LCS

GetRDoneStangs
10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Charles Gibson and ABC made a big deal of it on the evening news......calling for instant replay on all plays .....

not just HR's and fouls

Sittin & Fishin
10-21-2009, 11:15 PM
The umpiring has been very poor. However, I wonder if it is being magnified by all of the super-slow motion replays that are now available. We tend to forget that the umpire has to make a split decision reaction in high stress situations. That being said, there have been some very poor calls on some obvious plays.

The two tag outs at third base last night in the Yankee-Angel game was awful. ABSOLUTELY AWFUL BASERUNNING FUNDAMENTALS BY THE YANKEES, and awful umpiring. I kept waiting for the third base umpire to consult with the other umpires for help. Maybe I just don't know the proper umpiring protocol.

GrTigers6
10-22-2009, 06:04 AM
In my opinion, the umps seem to get a little more edgy in the playoffs and try to hard to make the right call. i think if they would just relax and call the game like it was just a regular game then you wouldnt see as
any missed calls. Question is how do you do that though? :thinking:

Daddy D 11
10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

And you know this how? I'm close friends with the 3rd base coach for the Mets. He was with the Phillies of late, and then won a world series title with the White Sox a few years back. He's been in Major League baseball for 36 years. Not to mention a very, very close friend of mine is best friends with Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins. Played with them in the minors for years. Still lived with them in the off season as of 2 years ago and all of the above mentioned people say that it's well known from everyone McLelland is weak.

But I'll take your opinion over those people.

Old Tiger
10-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Cause professional playoffs are rigged except football.

Daddy D 11
10-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Cause professional playoffs are rigged except football.

Still dunno about baseball, but the NBA sure as hell is.

Txbroadcaster
10-22-2009, 01:21 PM
And you know this how? I'm close friends with the 3rd base coach for the Mets. He was with the Phillies of late, and then won a world series title with the White Sox a few years back. He's been in Major League baseball for 36 years. Not to mention a very, very close friend of mine is best friends with Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins. Played with them in the minors for years. Still lived with them in the off season as of 2 years ago and all of the above mentioned people say that it's well known from everyone McLelland is weak.

But I'll take your opinion over those people.

well I guess because those three said it then he is weak..even though in 06 the players in a poll rated him best and most respected umpire

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/06/20/poll.0620/

and i will take the opinion of a group of players over three

Daddy D 11
10-22-2009, 01:24 PM
2006?:thinking:

Daddy D 11
10-22-2009, 01:25 PM
But I'll just take some advice from your signature and let this one go under the bridge. It'll just turn into a never ending battle, with you pulling stuff out from 1997...

Txbroadcaster
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
But I'll just take some advice from your signature and let this one go under the bridge. It'll just turn into a never ending battle, with you pulling stuff out from 1997...

my sig is a joke but honestly 06 is the last time players were asked. It is not like 06 is so long ago their opinions dont still matter.

In fact almost EVERY articler about the calls would state him as one of the most respected umpires in the game.

ziggy29
10-22-2009, 01:29 PM
McClelland quote after that horrible call against Swisher, saying he didn't tag up when he clearly did:

"As far as the two calls that I had at third base. The first one with Swisher leaving too soon. In my heart I thought he left too soon."

"In my heart?" If I was an umpire and I called a game "in my heart," the Yankees would be 0-162 every year.

Daddy D 11
10-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Articles aren't written by players.

I've spent the past 3 summers with Razor Shines, who like I said has been in professional baseball for 36 years. Last summer I stayed with him, Kyle Drabek and Joe Savery in Clearwater, Florida. Both guys, along with Razor worked us out for a week in between tournaments in Miami and Atlanta. Being around Razor is the coolest thing ever, he's respected by damn near every superstar in the game, the man's a phenomenal coach and I ALWAYS pick his brain on the ins and outs. One of the conversations one night at dinner was about umpires and he had nothing but great respect for all of them, but when I told him how I'd heard grumblings about McLelland he said those were absolutely true.

Obviously the media is in everyones business and knows alot, but there's somethings they don't know. Only players and coaches would have a valid opinion.

But, your 2006 article was an eyebrow raiser. I'll give you that.

Daddy D 11
10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/sports/baseball/24mets.html (http://)

Pretty neat article on Razor.

BaseballUmp
10-22-2009, 11:00 PM
:blahblah:

not hatin man but seriously if he wasnt a well respected and highly talented umpire then why would he be calling in the playoffs year after year after year?

"McClelland will be working his 18th postseason series and ninth LCS"

And sir you obviously have never called a game of that caliber so I would hold your remarks about the "...heart" quote.

He thought he was making the right calls. You can not name 1 umpire that has never missed a call in a game. Yes this is at the highest level but under that pressure many would do that exact same.

And I do agree that in the playoffs nerves go way up. It is hard to control them even with that much experience. Ask any and I mean any umpire that has been calling over 15-20 years and they will tell you that they still get nervous.

So before passing judgement on him, take a second to think.