PDA

View Full Version : Any bowlers here?

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I got a bowling class and I'm ok, but I ain't nothing great. My ball has a lot of curve but I can't control it. Sometimes it curves just right, sometimes too much, and sometimes not enough. :thinking:

I'm making a "c" in bowling at the mid term. :doh:

TheDOCTORdre
10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
what do you usually bowl?

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
what do you usually bowl? 115-120

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
115-120 My worst game was like a 90, best was around 135.

TheDOCTORdre
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
have you tried bowling with your opposite hand? i know it sounds crazy but it works

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 12:03 PM
have you tried bowling with your opposite hand? i know it sounds crazy but it works Uh, no. lol

I'm getting graded on my score, so I don't think I'm just gonna change to lefty.

DU_stud04
10-21-2009, 12:10 PM
i took a bowling class... we weren't allowed to throw a hook. my only advice is get better..hahaha. ive hit over 200 a few times, usually bowl around 160 though, usually depends on the amount of alcohol consumed, it has to be an appropriate amount, any more or any less i don't bowl to my optimal level. :D

BreckTxLonghorn
10-21-2009, 12:10 PM
A better hook & score will truly depend on the type of ball you have and what kind of bowler you are.

If you're a hook bowler and you're bowling with a spare ball, it's going to be much hard to maneuver it the way you want. Either way, since holes are pre-drilled in those, you'll probably want to stop putting your thumb in and stretch it as much as you can and still get a good grip - just leave your fingertips in and 'shake the hand' on your release.

If you have your own ball, holes should be drilled for you to give you the grip you want. Take it to an alley-rat/pro shop and they should be able to make sure that's working for you.

It you're a straight bowler (like me), make sure you don't have a weighted ball, and definitely NEVER line up dead center. You want your ball to collide just to the right or left of center of the head pin.

Also, how heavy is your ball? A lb or two can substantially affect your pin action.

Handicap League Champs in 2007 :)

TheDOCTORdre
10-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i took a bowling class... we weren't allowed to throw a hook. my only advice is get better..hahaha. ive hit over 200 a few times, usually bowl around 160 though, usually depends on the amount of alcohol consumed, it has to be an appropriate amount, any more or any less i don't bowl to my optimal level. :D

you were good that one night we played a couple of pithcers in

TheDOCTORdre
10-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Uh, no. lol

I'm getting graded on my score, so I don't think I'm just gonna change to lefty.

it works at least for me it does, my left arm is weaker than my right by far but my mind does a scary correction job by compensating form y left arm weakness in accuracy

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
haha. This is "beginners bowling."

I definitely don't have my own ball.I use a 14 lb "large" grip but not like XL, it's not a weighted ball.

I throw a hook, but it's kinda sporadic. I only have to avg a 145 to make an "A." I'm looking for some tips to get me up about 20-25 points. I don't know much. I was a "straight" bowler until middle of last week. :D

Maybe just a bit more practice throwing the hook, but I'm horribly inconsistent with it now. I throw a strike/spare and then I'll only get like 2 the next frame. :doh:

Bullaholic
10-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Bowling was dear to my heart when I was young. The first job I ever had at 15, was behind the desk at the bowling alley. I got into the youth leagues, eventually ended up bowling anchor for the house team in the travelling scratch league. A couple of those guys ended up in the PBA--the best one was a lefty named Bobby Jacks. Later on, I bowled in leagues 5 nights of the week. I had 3 balls, all custom-drilled and fitted with full-fingertip grip. I was what they call a 'big bender' and hooked the ball a lot---but when it hit the pocket the pins fought each other to get down. Lots of fond memories bowling---now I couldn't shoot 150. :D

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
now I couldn't shoot 150. :D Me either. :D

I'm a "big bender" so you could say....:eek: ..... BUT, I'm an uncontrolled big bender at that!

crzyjournalist03
10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
I once bowled 5 strikes in a row on my way to shooting a 187. I pretty much average about 110, but I haven't bowled in a while, so I'd probably be 10-15 points below that right now.

TheDOCTORdre
10-21-2009, 12:43 PM
oh ya the best I ever bowled, was the summer before my 7th grade at a church all nighter, it was about my fifth game in and I was gradually getting better throughout the night. At that time time I hadnt yet began playing football and my body figure could best be described as butterball lol. well anyways I ended up bowling a 217 that game, it was amazing many people dont beleive me when I tell them because I basically suck now, but for one night I was a magical tubby teen

Bullaholic
10-21-2009, 12:45 PM
oh ya the best I ever bowled, was the summer before my 7th grade at a church all nighter, it was about my fifth game in and I was gradually getting better throughout the night. At that time time I hadnt yet began playing football and my body figure could best be described as butterball lol. well anyways I ended up bowling a 217 that game, it was amazing many people dont beleive me when I tell them because I basically suck now, but for one night I was a magical tubby teen

Back in the day I rolled several 300's in practice, but the best I ever shot in a league was 279. The best I ever averaged for a season was 188.

Halestorm
10-21-2009, 12:47 PM
First and foremost, use a ball that is comfortable. once you have that the rest is easy. Consistancy is key, and only change one thin,g at a time when adjusting. for hbolding tghe ball, several tips...index finger out give s less hook, finger in towards the hole gives more. pinkie finger is the brake.... in for speed, out for slower. sorry about grammer, im at work and using the cell phone. I carry a 193 avg with a 13lb ball.

BreckTxLonghorn
10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
haha. This is "beginners bowling."

Maybe just a bit more practice throwing the hook, but I'm horribly inconsistent with it now. I throw a strike/spare and then I'll only get like 2 the next frame. :doh:

The fact that it's beginners bowling makes the grading off of scoring BS. If anything it should be teaching you the form, scoring, handicap scoring, lane oils, etc.

I can understand scoring on intermediate or expert, but beginner should make you want to bowl by understanding, not have to for fear of grades.

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
The fact that it's beginners bowling makes the grading off of scoring BS. If anything it should be teaching you the form, scoring, handicap scoring, lane oils, etc.

I can understand scoring on intermediate or expert, but beginner should make you want to bowl by understanding, not have to for fear of grades. I gotta avg 145 to make an A.

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
A better hook & score will truly depend on the type of ball you have and what kind of bowler you are.

If you're a hook bowler and you're bowling with a spare ball, it's going to be much hard to maneuver it the way you want. Either way, since holes are pre-drilled in those, you'll probably want to stop putting your thumb in and stretch it as much as you can and still get a good grip - just leave your fingertips in and 'shake the hand' on your release.

If you have your own ball, holes should be drilled for you to give you the grip you want. Take it to an alley-rat/pro shop and they should be able to make sure that's working for you.

It you're a straight bowler (like me), make sure you don't have a weighted ball, and definitely NEVER line up dead center. You want your ball to collide just to the right or left of center of the head pin.

Also, how heavy is your ball? A lb or two can substantially affect your pin action.

Handicap League Champs in 2007 :) Not to mention.....what kinda composite the ball is made out of....urethane maybe? Then theres the matter of ...are the lanes wood or synthetic...and lastly....how are they oiled? Where is it heavy...where is it light? It pays just as well to know your lanes as it does anything else.

I used to carry about a 175-180 average w/ a high game of 246 when I was a teenager.

:)

DU_stud04
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I gotta avg 145 to make an A. that sucks....we had to take a test on how to score by hand, bowling techniques, rules, and stuff like that.... that was 50% of our grade. 25% was attendance and the other 25 was just improving throughout the semester. there are some people who just cant bowl, shouldnt be given a bad mark for improving.

DU_stud04
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
you were good that one night we played a couple of pithcers in was that the "thumbs up" night? hahahaha. those girls loved my jimmy neutron ball. id like to say we were more than a few pitchers in hahahaha, good times.

crzyjournalist03
10-21-2009, 01:07 PM
I honestly didn't know until about two years ago that you're supposed to bowl with your second and third fingers. I always used my thumb, index, and third fingers in the holes. It worked well for me, but my doctor told me it wasn't good for me and that I needed to stop.

TheDOCTORdre
10-21-2009, 01:07 PM
was that the "thumbs up" night? hahahaha. those girls loved my jimmy neutron ball. id like to say we were more than a few pitchers in hahahaha, good times.

the fonz:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...that girl was into the thumbs up no doubt

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 01:09 PM
that sucks....we had to take a test on how to score by hand, bowling techniques, rules, and stuff like that.... that was 50% of our grade. 25% was attendance and the other 25 was just improving throughout the semester. there are some people who just cant bowl, shouldnt be given a bad mark for improving. We had a paper test (25%), we have technique evaluation (15%), Attendance (10%), and our score Avg(50%). Essentially, you have to score well if you want to do well.

crzyjournalist03
10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
We had a paper test (25%), we have technique evaluation (15%), Attendance (10%), and our score Avg(50%). Essentially, you have to score well if you want to do well.

What are the score ranges for each letter grade?

Emerson1
10-21-2009, 01:21 PM

That is what I do. I don't use the thumb hole. I usually use a 12 lb ball so I can really get it going right to left.

My high is 168. I have a big problem hitting just one pin especially if it's the 7 or 10. I played every week for like a month and finally bought some shoes, been since summer since I played though.

My avg is around 140.

No way I could pass a bowling class because I do it my way and it looks really really bad. I use my entire arm to get the balling spinning so it's being thrown wildly into the air.

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
What are the score ranges for each letter grade? EDIT: The breakdown is 25/15/60. We don't get that 10 for attendance.

100-119 = C

120-134 = B

135-144 = A

145+ for full credit (60 points of your final grade)

Bullaholic
10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Here is the guy, Bobby Jacks, I bowled in the travelling league with in New Orleans during the latter 60's. He had the same beautiful, natural left-handed hook at 17 as he does in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FprJ7GAWH4Q

See what happens when you give an old guy a chance to talk about the 'old days'? :D

pirate4state
10-21-2009, 01:39 PM
this thread makes me giggle :evillol:

crzyjournalist03
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
EDIT: The breakdown is 25/15/60. We don't get that 10 for attendance.

100-119 = C

120-134 = B

135-144 = A

145+ for full credit (60 points of your final grade)

man, that is pretty messed up...60% of your grade is based upon score? It's therefore impossible to make an A in the class unless you bowl over 135 for the semester. How are the rest of the students in the class doing? I'd imagine that the teacher will eventually have to lower the scores for each grade to avoid having almost all of the class having Cs and Ds.

PPHSfan
10-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Rule of Thumb.

Your golf score should be lower than your bowling score.

When you can bowl three times your golf score for 18 holes, you are doing both well.

Bullaholic
10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
this thread makes me giggle :evillol:

Well, I'm sure glad....you've been running around acting like a Super Mean Girl causing a lot of these guys to get their feelings hurt. :D

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
man, that is pretty messed up...60% of your grade is based upon score? It's therefore impossible to make an A in the class unless you bowl over 135 for the semester. How are the rest of the students in the class doing? I'd imagine that the teacher will eventually have to lower the scores for each grade to avoid having almost all of the class having Cs and Ds. Yea, there a few guys who bowl in the 160-180 range. The girls get a 20 point handicap. In other words, they onyl have to get a 125 to get full credit.

And I made a 72 on the paper exam.... :doh:

pirate4state
10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Well, I'm sure glad....you've been running around acting like a Super Mean Girl causing a lot of these guys to get their feelings hurt. :D It's not my fault they're all a bunch of sissies! :eek: :devil: :D

crzyjournalist03
10-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Yea, there a few guys who bowl in the 160-180 range. The girls get a 20 point handicap. In other words, they onyl have to get a 125 to get full credit.

And I made a 72 on the paper exam.... :doh:

20-point handicap? I think you could have a lawsuit on your hands for sexism. I mean, who says that just because someone is a girl, they deserve an opportunity to do less work (score less) and get the same score?

Tiger Turtle
10-21-2009, 03:10 PM
If you really intend to develop some consistency, you have to learn to "spot" bowl. That means you stand with your feet lined up on two particular spots on the approach and try to roll the ball over one of the "ranges" (arrow heads) out on the lane. Start out with your left foot one spot to the right of the big center spot. Then walk directly toward the 3rd arrow from the right and roll the ball directly over it if you can. The ball should end up between the 1 (head) and 3 pins just to the right of center. If it consistently goes too far right, move your feet a couple of boards right. If it goes left, move them to the left. Once you get that spot figured out, you can move half a spot left or right for spares, depending on whether the remaining pins are left or right of the head pin. As long as you keep your target the same, just adjust left to move the impact right and right to move the impact point left. A couple of lessons from the guy who runs the house you are bowling in will be a big help. Also, get your own ball and get it fitted. (I carried a 205+ average for ten+ years and bowled in lots of tournaments, but now I probably couldn't break 150 either.)

LH_Tuff
10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I took a bowling class. The grading was based on if you bought a round for the instructor and bowled at least 2 games each class. Needless to say, we all got an A. :thumbsup:

TheDOCTORdre
10-21-2009, 03:17 PM
20-point handicap? I think you could have a lawsuit on your hands for sexism. I mean, who says that just because someone is a girl, they deserve an opportunity to do less work (score less) and get the same score?

I've had my butt handed to me by girls in bowling

DaHop72
10-21-2009, 03:20 PM
My wife was a good bowler when we were dating, then she took it as a class while finishing college, now she's terrible.:D

LH_Tuff
10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I've had my butt handed to me by girls in bowling

Showing you how to hold the ball?:confused:

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Let's go bowling sometime.

STANG RED
10-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I got a bowling class and I'm ok, but I ain't nothing great. My ball has a lot of curve but I can't control it. Sometimes it curves just right, sometimes too much, and sometimes not enough. :thinking:

I'm making a "c" in bowling at the mid term. :doh:

You'll only get so good using a house ball. Get one drilled for your hand.

I was a high 230 ave. bowler back in the 80s, but seldom ever bowl any more. But in those days, I could take most any average bowler and have them scoring regularly in the 160-180s in just a few lessons, IF they had a ball correctly drilled for them. No need to buy an expensive ball at this point, just get one 14-16 lbs and have it drilled right. A 16 wont seem nearly that heavy, if it fits you right, and it'll score better.
My best league sanctioned game was 299, and a 780 series. I just missed winning the 800 diamond ring and watch by 20 pins.:mad: Had two open frames in that 3 game series.:mad:
But I do have a nice 299 ring, that no longer fits my fat fingers.:D

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
Showing you how to hold the ball?:confused: Dude. I got beat by a girl today. I think it's bs that they get a 20 point handicap. Supposedly they get less "pin action."

TheDOCTORdre
10-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Dude. I got beat by a girl today. I think it's bs that they get a 20 point handicap. Supposedly they get less "pin action."

Be a man and show her some pin action

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Be a man and show her some pin action :cool:

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Let's go bowling sometime. Talking to me?

skins4life
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Tiger Turtle
If you really intend to develop some consistency, you have to learn to "spot" bowl. That means you stand with your feet lined up on two particular spots on the approach and try to roll the ball over one of the "ranges" (arrow heads) out on the lane. Start out with your left foot one spot to the right of the big center spot. Then walk directly toward the 3rd arrow from the right and roll the ball directly over it if you can. The ball should end up between the 1 (head) and 3 pins just to the right of center. If it consistently goes too far right, move your feet a couple of boards right. If it goes left, move them to the left. Once you get that spot figured out, you can move half a spot left or right for spares, depending on whether the remaining pins are left or right of the head pin. As long as you keep your target the same, just adjust left to move the impact right and right to move the impact point left. A couple of lessons from the guy who runs the house you are bowling in will be a big help. Also, get your own ball and get it fitted. (I carried a 205+ average for ten+ years and bowled in lots of tournaments, but now I probably couldn't break 150 either.)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

skins4life
10-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
You'll only get so good using a house ball. Get one drilled for your hand.

I was a high 230 ave. bowler back in the 80s, but seldom ever bowl any more. But in those days, I could take most any average bowler and have them scoring regularly in the 160-180s in just a few lessons, IF they had a ball correctly drilled for them. No need to buy an expensive ball at this point, just get one 14-16 lbs and have it drilled right. A 16 wont seem nearly that heavy, if it fits you right, and it'll score better.
My best league sanctioned game was 299, and a 780 series. I just missed winning the 800 diamond ring and watch by 20 pins.:mad: Had two open frames in that 3 game series.:mad:
But I do have a nice 299 ring, that no longer fits my fat fingers.:D

It was probably the "Blocked" lanes
:D :D there at "Sweetwater Bowl". I knew a few of the hands that bowled there in the '80's and carried 200 or better avg. I talked them into joining a league over here and they couldn't carry the big avg. in the Snyder house. Too slick one night and too dry the next. I thought I was doing good to carry a 180 when I was bowling at the time. 278 is the best I ever did during league play.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
10-21-2009, 06:34 PM
:cool:

haha u must be in college... last night it was chemistry homework and now its a bowling class:) sounds like fun

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
haha u must be in college... last night it was chemistry homework and now its a bowling class:) sounds like fun I love college.

:clap: :D

Move The Chains
10-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Bowled a 150 today. :clap: My score is getting better.

BwdLion_80
10-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I bowl in a league once a week. My average is 205. Last week I bowled a 710 series, 244, 233, 233.

Move The Chains
10-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
I bowl in a league once a week. My average is 205. Last week I bowled a 710 series, 244, 233, 233. wow. Some tips?

My best is 150. Avg around 115 or 120.

Emerson1
10-24-2009, 09:41 PM
wow. Some tips?

My best is 150. Avg around 115 or 120.
Get good at getting the spare.

That is my big problem. I'll get 9 pins down and miss the 1 left which screws you over big time.

Find a routine. Think the scene in Malcolm in the Middle when Hal is going for 300.

Move The Chains
10-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

That is my big problem. I'll get 9 pins down and miss the 1 left which screws you over big time.

Find a routine. Think the scene in Malcolm in the Middle when Hal is going for 300. Yea, on the game I got 150, I had 4 spares and 2 strikes. I left 4 frames open. Pissed me off.

BwdLion_80
10-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Good hand eye coordination is a must. Use the arrows as your target, slow down and keep your eyes on the arrow you want to roll the ball over. Much like hitting a baseball, keep your eye on the arrow!

Remember the lanes change throughout the game(s). If you are using a "house" ball, it most likely is a plastic ball. If so, they will not hook much on oily lanes. If you can make the ball hook, you always want the ball to hit the pocket at some kind of an angle, that is where you get the better pin action and you won't leave the 5, 8 or 9 pin as much. Also, a heavier ball will drive through the rack better. As for the 7 and 10 pins, I don't have much of an answer for you. On spares, you are better off going cross lane to pick them up. I use 15 and 16 pound balls only, with 2 of them being "reactive" cover balls. These balls are made for oily lanes. My 3rd ball is a urethane ball and I use it mostly for spares or when the lanes are pretty dry. When the lanes get dry, the reactive cover balls are harder to control because they will hook sooner, so when I have drier lanes, I will use the urethane ball. Also, if you really want to get better, practice as much as possible.
Hope this helps!

Move The Chains
10-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Good hand eye coordination is a must. Use the arrows as your target, slow down and keep your eyes on the arrow you want to roll the ball over. Much like hitting a baseball, keep your eye on the arrow!

Remember the lanes change throughout the game(s). If you are using a "house" ball, it most likely is a plastic ball. If so, they will not hook much on oily lanes. If you can make the ball hook, you always want the ball to hit the pocket at some kind of an angle, that is where you get the better pin action and you won't leave the 5, 8 or 9 pin as much. Also, a heavier ball will drive through the rack better. As for the 7 and 10 pins, I don't have much of an answer for you. On spares, you are better off going cross lane to pick them up. I use 15 and 16 pound balls only, with 2 of them being "reactive" cover balls. These balls are made for oily lanes. My 3rd ball is a urethane ball and I use it mostly for spares or when the lanes are pretty dry. When the lanes get dry, the reactive cover balls are harder to control because they will hook sooner, so when I have drier lanes, I will use the urethane ball. Also, if you really want to get better, practice as much as possible.
Hope this helps! Yeah, my ball curves too much most of the time. I have a hard tie keeping the ball on the right side of the strike pocket. I often hit the back side of the 1 pin.

BwdLion_80
10-25-2009, 07:09 AM
When you balls goes to far to the left, move you feet 2 or 3 boards to the left and roll the ball over the same arrow. This will bring the ball back to the right hand side. Try and be as consistant with the ball speed as possible as a slower ball will hook earlier and further.

Bull's-eye
10-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Years ago, I got a patch for bowling an all spare game. This is probably more uncommon than bowling a 300 game, though I would rather have the perfect score.

BwdLion_80
10-25-2009, 10:17 PM
In league tonight I bowled a 614 series, then bowled a 3 game tournament and won it with a 720 series.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
10-25-2009, 10:28 PM
In league tonight I bowled a 614 series, then bowled a 3 game tournament and won it with a 720 series.

nice :clap:

STANG RED
10-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
It was probably the "Blocked" lanes
:D :D there at "Sweetwater Bowl". I knew a few of the hands that bowled there in the '80's and carried 200 or better avg. I talked them into joining a league over here and they couldn't carry the big avg. in the Snyder house. Too slick one night and too dry the next. I thought I was doing good to carry a 180 when I was bowling at the time. 278 is the best I ever did during league play.

I lived in Abilene in most of the 80s, and bowled at both Triangle, and Abilene Bowl. But I did have that 780 at Sweetwater in 80. We had an excellent manager that kept the lanes in perfect condition for sure. I've bowled in plenty of houses with inconsistante lanes though. It's very hard to maintain a high average on lanes that arent cared for properly. Lanes have to be striped and reconditioned at least twice a year, and a good machine needs to be ran over them daily.
The worst lanes I ever bowled on was in Vernon. But I managed to win that tournament with only a 179 ave. throughout the tournament. I saw some very good 200+ bowlers with games in the 130s and 140s. No two lanes in the house were even close to the same.
I dont think I've bowled in Snyder since the late 70s.

SHSBulldog00
10-26-2009, 11:32 PM
No