PDA

View Full Version : More Emphasis

Phil C
05-05-2003, 01:33 PM
I just noticed that Lorena who won their district championship has to play Lufkin Hudson who won third place in district in Lufkin. That seems unfair for a district champion to have to travel. The third place teams or runner ups at least in the first round should have to be visitors to district champions. They should be greatful that they get to be in the playoffs. It sure cheapens the value of being district champions to a certain extent as far as rewards go. I could go maybe on a coin flip for 2 out of 3 or a one shot but the district winners should be rewarded with home field advantage. Come on UIL get with it! Oh well.

PPHSfan
05-05-2003, 02:00 PM
The district champions are rewarded with a BYE in the first round. That third place team beat a second place team to advance in the playoffs. I don't see anything wrong with it personally.

Phil C
05-05-2003, 02:18 PM
but it still ain't enough. It is like cake without frosting.

BH_146
05-05-2003, 03:12 PM
I have to somewhat agree with Phil C. The reason there is a bye is because that is the only way for the UIL to structure the brackets. A bye for the first place team could be determental. There is the possibility that a 1st place team could go over two weeks before playing their first playoff game if they were unable to get a warm-up game or two. As far as baseball is concerned, I think a bye is more damaging than rewarding. Rarely does a team need time off to heal. It is a greater possibility that a team may lose some intensity or focus because you are not preparing for anyone. Or the opposition may gain confidence or momentum from their success in their first round games. But all my points will be moot next year when there are 4 teams in the playoffs. Or will 1st and 2nd receive byes?

Bandera YaYa
05-07-2003, 01:08 PM
I'M WITH YOU 100%. I WOULD HAVE MUCH RATHER KEPT ON PLAYING, THEN TO HAVE TO WAIT 2 WEEKS TO PLAY, FOR THE REASONS YOU MENTIONED! ALSO, WE PLAY NEEDVILLE (OUTSIDE OF HOUSTON) AND WE ARE PLAYING ABOUT 1 HR FROM THEM, IN WEIMAR, AND OUR TRAVEL TIME IS OVER 2 HRS! WE MUST HAVE LOST A TOSS OR SOMETHING, BUT SEEMS UNFAIR TO HAVE TO TRAVEL SO FAR AS DISTRICT CHAMPS! :mad: :mad:

Green Ranger
05-07-2003, 01:54 PM
I do not see what the big deal is here. In football, everybody has to travel unless you flip, even district champs. If you dont want to flip pick somewhere neutral and the chances are it is going to be closer one way than it is the other. Regardless of the situation, true champions shouldnt let a little traveling get in the way. As far as having a week/two off, schedule some games because nobody is perfect and everybody is beat up where a little time off would be very nice. Just my two cents, let things be determined on the field and dont blame it on where the field is at.