PDA

View Full Version : Correct Pronunciation of Player's Names

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 02:17 PM
This will fall under the nit-picking category, but I wonder how much trouble it would be for each team to write out the phonetic pronunciation of hard to pronounce names on their roster sheet prior to kickoff and submit to the pressbox? Most game announcers do a pretty good job with difficult names, but I have heard some announcers just absolutely butcher some names. People are proud of their family name, and like to hear it pronunced correctly in public, and this seems like such an easy thing for each team to do prior to each game.

For example: Huerta (WHERE-ta)

Maroon87
10-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
This will fall under the nit-picking category, but I wonder how much trouble it would be for each team to write out the phonetic pronunciation of hard to pronounce names on their roster sheet prior to kickoff and submit to the pressbox? Most game announcers do a pretty good job with difficult names, but I have heard some announcers just absolutely butcher some names. People are proud of their family name, and like to hear it pronunced correctly in public, and this seems like such an easy thing for each team to do prior to each game.

When I was announcing games, I used to speak to the coaches from either team beforehand and make sure I had the pronounciations correct for the ones that looked difficult. I was pretty certain that nobody was gonna do it for me so I just did it on my own...

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
When I was announcing games, I used to speak to the coaches from either team beforehand and make sure I had the pronounciations correct for the ones that looked difficult. I was pretty certain that nobody was gonna do it for me so I just did it on my own...

:clap: :thumbsup:
You, sir, obviously care about doing a job well.

poisoned10
10-20-2009, 02:25 PM
My last name is Yazell, pronounced Yuh-zell.

My senior year, we played a double-header playoff game at NTCC in Mt. Pleasant and my name we pronounced different every time I came up to bat.

I always found it funny and looked forward to how it would be pronounced next.

Maroon87
10-20-2009, 02:27 PM
:clap: :thumbsup:
You, sir, obviously care about doing a job well.

That I do...plus, I didn't like to make an ass of myself on the radio.;)

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
My last name is Yazell, pronounced Yuh-zell.

My senior year, we played a double-header playoff game at NTCC in Mt. Pleasant and my name we pronounced different every time I came up to bat.

I always found it funny and looked forward to how it would be pronounced next.

It is good that you found it humorous---How many times did you hear Yazzle or YAY-zell? :D

bowleghorses
10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
We have some real doozies here in louisiana. Here are a few: Thibodeaux, Boudreaux ,Meaux, Fontenot, Suire,Comeaux, Breaux,Benoit. They sound like Tibudo,Boodro,Mo,Fontino,Sweer,Como,Bro, Benwo.:D :D :D

poisoned10
10-20-2009, 02:35 PM
It is good that you found it humorous---How many times did you hear Yazzle or YAY-zell? :D

Several. During school, I always looked forward to hearing the professor saying my name for the 1st time, just to see how they would say it. It's very rare for someone to pronounce it right the 1st time.

BullsFan
10-20-2009, 02:45 PM

And Schuett, which is pronounced SHOOT, but which we usually hear as SHOO-it when we're out of town. When we were in Burk and the announcer kept mispronouncing it, I finally yelled out "SHOOT" in frustration. The 5 or so rows in front of me turned around in shock; I guess they didn't realize I was just correcting the announcer.

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
And Schuett, which is pronounced SHOOT, but which we usually hear as SHOO-it when we're out of town. When we were in Burk and the announcer kept mispronouncing it, I finally yelled out "SHOOT" in frustration. The 5 or so rows in front of me turned around in shock; I guess they didn't realize I was just correcting the announcer.

LOL. Remember that little Vietnamese player we had in the 90's, I think, ---I can't begin to spell his last name correctly, I just know it was pronounced BOO-Chan-te-ra. He was all of 132lbs. and hit like a sidewinder missle. Announcers usually just paused and said his no.

'Elvis Pressley' had to be one of our all-time favorite player names, Bulls Fan---remember the announcer who couldn't help himself and said "Elvis has left the field".? :D

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 02:50 PM
During our academic awards ceremony... our principal just gave me the complete wrong last name. Not even close to my real name.

Maybe he's blind? :confused:

pirate4state
10-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Gaitan (Guy-tan) was pronunced Gay-shun by the Orange Grove announcer. It was funny. :D

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Gaitan (Guy-tan) was pronunced Gay-shun by the Orange Grove announcer. It was funny. :D In 08, our HOME announcer was pronouncing OUR player's name wrong. :doh:

Old Tiger
10-20-2009, 03:02 PM
If you are an announcer and you get the chance to announce a Cameron Yoe freshmen game you better make sure you prounouce the runningback for Cameron last name properly or you'll be receiving a rude visit by an angry Cameron parent who isn't the parent of the student.

Pendragon13
10-20-2009, 03:28 PM
With Spanish last names becoming common in Texas HS football the last 20 years or so...the UIL should encourage coaches to provide pronunciation for player names....all last names. (as already mentioned, it's not just spanish surnames)

RedWhiteBlue
10-20-2009, 03:31 PM
I totally agree!!! I think it is just your job. If you are willing to step off and take that job- then you should go to the effort of making sure you know how to pronounce all the names correctly. Thats just a form of respect IMO.:D

yoe64
10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
If you are an announcer and you get the chance to announce a Cameron Yoe freshmen game you better make sure you prounouce the runningback for Cameron last name properly or you'll be receiving a rude visit by an angry Cameron parent who isn't the parent of the student.

whats his name?

TexDad
10-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Went to school with a kid that had a last name of Fuch. Pronounced Fox.......people really butchered that one.

Old Tiger
10-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by yoe64
whats his name? I don't know how to spell it but he's the starting runningback and plays really good.

yoe64
10-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Riola?

Old Tiger
10-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Riola? denaio?

yoe64
10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
ohhh denio
as in Denio furniture on highway 77

Ex-Tiger2005
10-20-2009, 04:28 PM
my poor brother gets his name butchered everywhere too! its funny cuz all the parents always go and correct the announcers but we always just kick back because we are so used to it!

ma2_85
10-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
With Spanish last names becoming common in Texas HS football the last 20 years or so...the UIL should encourage coaches to provide pronunciation for player names....all last names. (as already mentioned, it's not just spanish surnames)

My family has had our last name butchered for years. My little brother is the last of us to graduate and playing his last year of varsity sports. It's always interesting to see how announcers are going to say Arguellez... (Od-Way-Iz)

sinton66
10-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by TexDad
Went to school with a kid that had a last name of Fuch. Pronounced Fox.......people really butchered that one.

Dunno about "Fuch", but Fuchs is German and it's pronounced fooks, like books. I know this because my wife's brother was married to one.

yoe64
10-20-2009, 08:13 PM
there's a family in Cameron named fuchs (fox) but there's also a family in Rosebud where fuchs is pronounced fooks.

sinton66
10-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I suupose the families can pronounce it however, just my brother in laws in laws were the only ones I ever knew.;)

Old Tiger
10-20-2009, 08:46 PM
there's a family in Cameron named fuchs (fox) but there's also a family in Rosebud where fuchs is pronounced fooks. The Fuchs in Rosebud had a son who was amazing at baseball.

Ranger Mom
10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
We had a kid a couple of years ago whose last name was Caver...(Kay Vur)....we played one team and they called him "Cadaver" the entire game...it was hilarious!!!

PHOP
10-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Music to my ears

yoe64
10-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
The Fuchs in Rosebud had a son who was amazing at baseball.
Yes his name was Evan, had a younger brother i believe too. Evan went to Cameron for a year too. but then went back to cougar country

BullsFan
10-21-2009, 08:46 AM
'Elvis Pressley' had to be one of our all-time favorite player names, Bulls Fan---remember the announcer who couldn't help himself and said "Elvis has left the field".? :D

I remember both of those kids. And I also remember the entire stands getting a big laugh out of Elvis leaving the field. Good times. LOL.