PDA

View Full Version : What's "acceptable"?

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2009, 06:03 AM
How many points is "acceptable" to score on your opponent? And for discussion - what method(s) do you use to keep from scoring more than the acceptable number of points?

Blue42
10-20-2009, 06:39 AM
That is a hard one if you are fortunate enough to be ahead and you have your back ups in they would like to get a little glory for the hard work they put in and I think that if you kneel on the ball and hand it over to the other team what does that do for there pride.I would think run the plays that have yealded the least yards in the past.

Pendragon13
10-20-2009, 06:52 AM
The way I see it...if a coach empties the bench then those players have a right to score if they can. Of course, long bomb passes and blitzing on defense should be avoided when it gets to that point....but actively trying to not score is more insulting to the opposing team than letting the backups/younger guys go out and do their thing.

Looking4number8
10-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
The way I see it...if a coach empties the bench then those players have a right to score if they can. Of course, long bomb passes and blitzing on defense should be avoided when it gets to that point....but actively trying to not score is more insulting to the opposing team than letting the backups/younger guys go out and do their thing.

+1

Old Green
10-20-2009, 07:15 AM
The way I see it...if a coach empties the bench then those players have a right to score if they can. Of course, long bomb passes and blitzing on defense should be avoided when it gets to that point....but actively trying to not score is more insulting to the opposing team than letting the backups/younger guys go out and do their thing. :iagree:

GrTigers6
10-20-2009, 07:26 AM
yeah you can't send kids out there and tell them not to play their best. If you are up by 40 or more then you should use your backups and run your normal plays with , like it was said earlier, no bombs or crazy blitzes. If your still putting it on them, thats beyond your control.

BILLYFRED0000
10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Acceptable is the final score. Football is a game. If you play a game it does not matter. If it is life and death you need to step back and try again. The game cannot be controlled unless you stop playing. For example. You have a team that fumbles in their endzone and your third string end falls on the ball. So what do you do. Tell the ref not to count it. Blocked a punt into the endzone and fall on it. pick up a fumble and run it in. We score 44 points in one quarter once in a PLAYOFF game. First quarter.
Can't hardly tell the boys to stop playin.

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
How many points is "acceptable" to score on your opponent? And for discussion - what method(s) do you use to keep from scoring more than the acceptable number of points? Depends how many the opponent scores.

80-40 is a lot different than 80-0.

DU_stud04
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
i stopped at 80 because thats what i was forced to stop at....if not it would have been higher. gotta be stopped sometime.

jdawg2012
10-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I like the idea that if the backups are in, let them score. But it also depends on how many points your opponent has. If you have 70 points but your opponent also has about 60, keep going. Get some insurance!

pancho villa
10-20-2009, 08:19 AM
It is the defenses job to stop the offense. Not the coachs job to stop themselves!

waterboy
10-20-2009, 08:23 AM
^^^ What he said.:clap:

slpybear the bullfan
10-20-2009, 08:50 AM
1.) Pull your starters and let the backups play their hardest.

2.) Don't call plays that are "not necessary"... This is a bit of a grey area... but I certainly wouldn't throw on first down when up 56-0. And I woudn't blitz on defense. And I wouldn't try to block a punt. Etc... you get the idea.

3.) Whatever the score winds up being if I follow #1 and #2... that is when it is enough.

pirate4state
10-20-2009, 09:17 AM
I say score as much as the other team will let you!

If your still playing with ANY of your 1st teamers and the game is well in hand (let's say 52-0 to start the 3rd), well then your coach is an ass!

I'm not singling any one coach out, just giving my opinion.

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
1.) Pull your starters and let the backups play their hardest.

2.) Don't call plays that are "not necessary"... This is a bit of a grey area... but I certainly wouldn't throw on first down when up 56-0. And I woudn't blitz on defense. And I wouldn't try to block a punt. Etc... you get the idea.

3.) Whatever the score winds up being if I follow #1 and #2... that is when it is enough.

I agree, slpy, I think these actions should be taken wnen a HS or college team gets up by 40+ points or so, but I don't think there are any such limits in the NFL---they are paid big time for what they do and it is their JOB to score every point at every opportunity.

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I agree, slpy, I think these actions should be taken wnen a HS or college team gets up by 40+ points or so, but I don't think there are any such limits in the NFL---they are paid big time for what they do and it is their JOB to score every point at every opportunity. So Belichick should've ran it up worse against the Titans?

carter08
10-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
So Belichick should've ran it up worse against the Titans?

Yes.

jason
10-20-2009, 09:33 AM

yes

they are professionals - if you dont want to be embarrassed then stop somebody on defense....

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by carter08
Yes. two things wrong there.

1) risking injury when not necessary

2) Why not let your 2nd string get some real game action? Will only help you later.

StangEm
10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
70 seemed to be enough for OU to hang on A&M a few years back. 4:35 left in the 3rd quarter.....on the 15 yd line.....VICTORY FORMATION!!

tex_male
10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Play the back ups and let the clock run. When you are up 50 they aren't going to stage a come back.

ziggy29
10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't think you ever ask a team to stop playing until you can run the clock out without another first down. Until then, you always keep trying to move the ball and get first downs. Maybe you do it with your reserves in the second half, but those kids practice and work as hard as the starters and they deserve to be able to really play when there is a situation that allows it. Plus, if a starter goes down at some point, you want the reserves to be able to execute your game plan.

Maybe you shouldn't be running trick plays and fake kicks and maybe you don't blitz or run the long bomb, but other than that, let 'em play. If the defense can't make a tackle on a third string running back on a simple line plunge, I'm not going to tell my player to stop running to avoid "running it up."

I think several teams in District 8 can attest that short of taking a knee and punting in the third quarter, it can be hard NOT to score 60-70 points at times against certain opponents. When you hear one straightforward running play after another with the second and third team turning into a 50 yard TD run... how much can you really avoid such a blowout?

I'd agree with others that there is no moral outrage against "running it up" in the NFL, though I'd think a coach is stupid for risking injury to his starters in a long-since decided game andhe has to remember that there may be payback in the future.

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 09:49 AM

Yes---again, every player on that field is well compensated to do their jobs on every play. Those people in the stands and the broadcast media are paying big bucks to have every fan see every player do their best on every play. If that means beating another team 100 to 0, that is just the way it is and there should be absolutely no crying about running the score up if they are true pros. This is probably a poor analogy, but holding the score down in the NFL would be like asking a pro gunfighter in the old West to just 'wing' the other gunfighter, if possible.

Know_It_All
10-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Well I know that this will not be a popular opinion to some of the posters on here this is what I believe.

It is not the winning teams job to stop themselves. If the backups are in and running the offense and scoring at will then so be it. The way I look at it is they need to practice defense a lot so the winning team is providing them with good practice.

With that said I do not condone doing something like keeping starters in to embaress the opponent.

I have know problem with teams throwing the ball when they are up 50 if they are working of their passing game (not trying to hit the homerun every play).

Anyways I could go on about this forever but I wont....

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Yes---again, every player on that field is well compensated to do their jobs on every play. Those people in the stands and the broadcast media are paying big bucks to have every fan see every player do their best on every play. If that means beating another team 100 to 0, that is just the way it is and there should be absolutely no crying about running the score up if they are true pros. So if the Pats are up 70-0 in the 3rd and Tom Brady blows out his knee..... then it's those same fans are who going to bitch for the next year and half til Brady is healthy. :hand:

wimbo_pro
10-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Dont know if you can put a number on it, depends on the game itself.

Last Friday I was in Phoenix, went to my friends son's game. They got whooped 78-35, but the thing that got me is that they scored on 4 straight offensive plays with a stud running back that no one could touch...he just dodged everyone until there were no more, then waltzed into the end-zone.

What bothered me is even though they pulled the stud in the late 3rd quarter from the offense, they still put him in to return kick offs and punts. He made a TD everytime he got the ball. I thought it was a bit over the line.

He scored 7 TD's.

trojandad
10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
you need another poll option......as many as possible.....

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Dont know if you can put a number on it, depends on the game itself.

Last Friday I was in Phoenix, went to my friends son's game. They got whooped 78-35, but the thing that got me is that they scored on 4 straight offensive plays with a stud running back that no one could touch...he just dodged everyone until there were no more, then waltzed into the end-zone.

What bothered me is even though they pulled the stud in the late 3rd quarter from the offense, they still put him in to return kick offs and punts. He made a TD everytime he got the ball. I thought it was a bit over the line. 78-35 isn't too bad. Now if it were 71-0 or so and they still had him back there returning kicks.... that'd be different.

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 10:00 AM
So if the Pats are up 70-0 in the 3rd and Tom Brady blows out his knee..... then it's those same fans are who going to bitch for the next year and half til Brady is healthy. :hand:

Got no problem with coaches pulling their stars late in a game that is out of hand, but I would if Bellichick did not let Brady play at all in a game against a weaker opponent. People pay to watch the stars in the NFL and there is risk involved with that---that is part of the modern game.

tex_male
10-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Move The Chains

He just needed more practice........

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Got no problem with coaches pulling their stars late in a game that is out of hand, but I would if Bellichick did not let Brady play at all in a game against a weaker opponent. People pay to watch the stars in the NFL and there is risk involved with that---that is part of the modern game. That's not what you said a minute ago.

I asked if Belichick should have run it up worse than 59-0 in the 3rd and you said yes.

I say put the backups in and let them play Tennessee's starters. Whatever happens, happens form there.

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by tex_male
Move The Chains

He just needed more practice........ Who is he?

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 10:06 AM
That's not what you said a minute ago.

I asked if Belichick should have run it up worse than 59-0 in the 3rd and you said yes.

I say put the backups in and let them play Tennessee's starters. Whatever happens, happens form there.

O.k.---I think we are getting on the same page now. I agree with that, but no limit on the score. Fans understand and accept the wisdom of the protection of starters most of the time, but will howl if they feel it is excessive or done too early.

wimbo_pro
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
78-35 isn't too bad. Now if it were 71-0 or so and they still had him back there returning kicks.... that'd be different.

I agree...but the 35 came in the 4th quarter with the subs. I guess they handled it correctly...it just got a little "over the top" with the kid running back kick offs...i dunno...i guess you're right.

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 10:09 AM
O.k.---I think we are getting on the same page now. I agree with that, but no limit on the score. By "run up the score" I mean leave the starters in and keep trying to score.

I would pull my starters, and call the game as if it were close with my backups in. I'm assuming Tennessee will be able to stop my 2nd string. If they can't, then that's their problem. The score will continue to rise in that case.

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 10:10 AM
I agree...but the 35 came in the 4th quarter with the subs. I guess they handled it correctly...it just got a little "over the top" with the kid running back kick offs...i dunno...i guess you're right. Well, they should have told him to fair catch, or you'd think your coach would stop punting it to the kid. Punt it out of bounds for crying out loud. That's on your coach somewhat.

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 10:11 AM
By "run up the score" I mean leave the starters in and keep trying to score.

I would pull my starters, and call the game as if it were close with my backups in. I'm assuming Tennessee will be able to stop my 2nd string. If they can't, then that's their problem. The score will continue to rise in that case.

Two different issues here---1. Running up the score 2. Playing starters unnecessarily to run up the score.

tex_male
10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Who is he?

Sorry was meant for wimbo pro's post

ziggy29
10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
O.k.---I think we are getting on the same page now. I agree with that, but no limit on the score.
Yep -- I don't really think there's a "magic number" which is and is not acceptable.

If someone is up 14-0 with 30 seconds to play and the winning team calls time out at the opponent's 2 yard line to try to score again, that's bush league. Yet if someone only sees the final score of 21-0, they won't know the winning coach acted like an ass.

If someone is up 70-0 in the middle of the 4th quarter and they score another TD with their backups just in the process of trying to get first downs and chew up the clock, there's nothing wrong with that.

So the score itself isn't really a reliable indicator of acceptable or unacceptable sportsmanship.

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Two different issues here---1. Running up the score 2. Playing starters unnecessarily to run up the score. IMO, if you let the backups play when the game gets out of hand... then the "running up the score" issue flys out the window.

In that case, the winning coach is doing what is necesaary to prevent "running up the score."

If the other team can't even stop your backups, or slow them down.... then they've got much bigger problems than you "running up the score."

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Yep -- I don't really think there's a "magic number" which is and is not acceptable.

If someone is up 14-0 with 30 seconds to play and the winning team calls time out at the opponent's 2 yard line to try to score again, that's bush league. Yet if someone only sees the final score of 21-0, they won't know the winning coach acted like an ass.

If someone is up 70-0 in the middle of the 4th quarter and they score another TD with their backups just in the process of trying to get first downs with simple running plays and chew up the clock, there's nothing wrong with that.

So the score itself isn't really a reliable indicator of acceptable or unacceptable sportsmanship. 1 thing I DO like is say team A is up 28-0 with 2 mins left in the 4th and team has has the ball on about the 10 yd line.

Team A isn't really trying to score, but more run the ball and just end the game.

Team B calls a timeout on 3rd down.

I'm all for it when Team A's coach decides to try and score then.

If the other coach is willing to call that timeout to stop the clock... then I say score again.

ziggy29
10-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm all for it when Team A's coach decides to try and score then.

If the other coach is willing to call that timeout to stop the clock... then I say score again.

This I agree with. If the losing team hasn't conceded defeat at that point, why should the winning team assume their lead is safe?

ProudHornetMom
10-20-2009, 10:18 AM
IMO, if you let the backups play when the game gets out of hand... then the "running up the score" issue flys out the window.

In that case, the winning coach is doing what is necesaary to prevent "running up the score."

If the other team can't even stop your backups, or slow them down.... then they've got much bigger problems than you "running up the score."

:iagree:

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
This I agree with. If the losing team hasn't conceded defeat at that point, why should the winning team assume their lead is safe? Exactly.

wimbo_pro
10-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Oh gosh...I dont remember his name...I can find out though. Honestly, he wasnt all that fast or big, just very quick on his feet. I think a lot of it was the poor quality of talent on my friends son's team.

By the way, they were probably equivalent to our 3A (about 200 graduating class), but neither team could hold up to our above average 3A teams, at least from what I saw. I was also surprised to see the lack of enthusiasm and "fire" on both teams...even from the very begininng when the game was 0-0. The crowds were very small too.

TheDOCTORdre
10-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I share what is just my opinion, but I believe when the game is well in hand you pull the starters and you put your backup ins, but I dont believe you slow down your offense or run safe plays tht run out the clock, you continue to play the game with your back ups as you did when your starters started the game...and I know that may be unpopular, but consider this if your starting quarteback gets hurt down the road, doesn't it help to have a backup who has some real game experience running the full offense, know that thats what you have practice for, but practice is aling ways off from real game experience, let them know how the flow of the game feels. True it may look bad, but if you find yourself i that situation and all the plays your back up quarterback has experience running in an actual game is hand off left, hand off right, toss left, toss right, then you do disservice to your team

UPanIN
10-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Need another option.

81 +

StangEm
10-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by StangEm
70 seemed to be enough for OU to hang on A&M a few years back. 4:35 left in the 3rd quarter.....on the 15 yd line.....VICTORY FORMATION!!

Should have said 77....

BuckeyeNut
10-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Whats about the starters that are trying to get in to collage. They need stats, breaking state records looks good to D1 collages.

lulu
10-20-2009, 11:09 AM
This I agree with. If the losing team hasn't conceded defeat at that point, why should the winning team assume their lead is safe?

One never concedes defeat!!!!!!!! You fight to the ugly end:mad:

You don't tell your team to quit if they are behind. You fight on .

wimbo_pro
10-20-2009, 11:16 AM

His name is Allen Woods, senior, Cactus High School in Phoenix (I think...maybe close). 1,317 yards before this game, he HAD to have 400+ yards total Friday night I would say. Friday night was their 7th game of the year.

lulu
10-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Whats about the starters that are trying to get in to collage. They need stats, breaking state records looks good to D1 collages.

Flag....Stumps got more stats than anyone needs. He has proven how good he is and i hope (if he hasn't yet) he gets his 100 TD against us. I for one will celebrate with ya'll. :)

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by lulu
One never concedes defeat!!!!!!!! You fight to the ugly end:mad:

You don't tell your team to quit if they are behind. You fight on . You can fight without calling timeouts. That's an insult to the team trying to run the clock out to avoid humiliating you more.

Gobbla2001
10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I dunno if I could really put a number on it...

Always thought about this question though, "if I were a HC with a more than capable offense and defense, where would my cut-off point be?"

In the first half, I'm not gunna stop scoring with my first team... I may mix a 2nd stringer or two in so that they can prove themselves etc... but I'm not letting up, your defense needs to stop my offense because my starters need to get some work in...

In the second half I may run my first teamers out one more time just to work on some stuff but that's probably it, done with them (unless there are some starters that still need to prove themselves)...

Now, I may not be calling or allowing my OC to call bombs all second half to try and put points up, but I DO want my second/third/whatever stringers to score... they went through offseason, they were there in two-a-days, they were there in practice all week, they've ran the sprints after practice, they've cramped up at home etc... I want them to score... and however many they score is up to them...

however many points that adds up to is acceptable...

lulu
10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
You can fight without calling timeouts. That's an insult to the team trying to run the clock out to avoid humiliating you more.

Well Chains if the loosing team is really trying to win that is the normal think to do isn't it? I see what you are saying about the team that is winning. But the losing team would be doing what a team would normally do ,,,,,,to try to win. They always use all their timeouts if it can help on a play.

Buckeye1980
10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
If you can't stopp'em, don't play'em!:hand:

waterboy
10-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I feel like if the opponent's coach doesn't allow a running clock, then whatever happens happens. Go ahead and run your offense like you normally would, except a little more conservative, with the 2nd and 3rd string players. I've seen both things already this year.:cool:

Pendragon13
10-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Whats about the starters that are trying to get in to collage. They need stats, breaking state records looks good to D1 collages. Plenty of players with gaudy high school stats have been busts in college for one reason or another....college scouts and coaches know this. When they think of recruiting a player they will watch game film and take many things into account including the strength of the opponent. Seeing a star player still on the field deep into a blowout won't impress anyone..

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Well Chains if the loosing team is really trying to win that is the normal think to do isn't it? I see what you are saying about the team that is winning. But the losing team would be doing what a team would normally do ,,,,,,to try to win. They always use all their timeouts if it can help on a play. Well, then don't complain when the opposing coach keeps the offense in full throttle.

wimbo_pro
10-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, then don't complain when the opposing coach keeps the offense in full throttle.

It's just a matter of class and sportsmanship. It really is that simple.

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
It's just a matter of class and sportsmanship. It really is that simple. I'm just saying if a team is down by 35 or so and they are using their timeouts, etc... then why not keep the pedal to the metal?

Bullaholic
10-20-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm just saying if a team is down by 35 or so and they are using their timeouts, etc... then why not keep the pedal to the metal?

Are you playing 'devil's advocate' today, MTC? Which side of this thing are you on, anyhow? :D

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Are you playing 'devil's advocate' today, MTC? Which side of this thing are you on, anyhow? :D This is my opinion:

If a team is down big and concedes the game to their opponent, then you pull your starters and you let the backups do their. If they score at will too, oh well.

If a team is down big and chooses to act as if they have a chance by calling timeouts etc, then obviously they feel they are still in the game. So keep keep going until it's obvious they aren't trying to stage a comeback.

If a team is down by 40 or so in the 4th and their coach is calling timeouts and running no huddle and kicking onside kicks, then just keep scoring.

If they run a normal offense, and huddle, and don't call timeouts, or let the clock run.... then you show some respect and you don' try to score anymore. All depends on if the other teams acts like they're still in it. When it was 52-0 for NE, you pull the starters. The Titans had already given up on the game. There was no fight left.

Coach BS
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
This is kinda stupid it all depends there is no set score that is enough. 56-0 thats enough but if your opponent scores 56 you may need to score 70-80.I just think 70 or 80 to 0 is a little much, unless your playing Cameron

lulu
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
If you can't stopp'em, don't play'em!:hand:

Well heck Buckeye80.....Friday nights game at SH is cancelled.:D

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Coach BS
This is kinda stupid it all depends there is no set score that is enough. 56-0 thats enough but if your opponent scores 56 you may need to score 70-80.I just think 70 or 80 to 0 is a little much, unless your playing Cameron
So it's okay if you're playing Cameron but not any other team in the state? Would you actually leave in your starters to make sure that you score 70-80 on them?

So your 2nd string goes in at 42-0 and they continue to score, both offense & defense, then 3rd string goes in at 56-0 and now all of the sudden you tell your 3rd string to lay a goose egg and don't "try"? :thinking: :thinking:

Some things are best left unsaid by me so I'll just say "it fits".

ziggy29
10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
So your 2nd string goes in at 42-0 and they continue to score, both offense & defense, then 3rd string goes in at 56-0 and now all of the sudden you tell your 3rd string to lay a goose egg and don't "try"? :thinking: :thinking:
I think we had a common opponent this year where the only way you could avoid scoring 56 was to start taking a knee three times and punting on every possession in the 4th quarter -- and that would be a lot more insulting and offensive than trying to keep moving the ball...

Coach BS
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
So it's okay if you're playing Cameron but not any other team in the state? Would you actually leave in your starters to make sure that you score 70-80 on them?

Some things are best left unsaid by me so I'll just say "it fits". LHPM, the part about Cameron was a joke, haha,get it ? No I guess not. You ask a question about what is acceptable and you get opinions, now you want to change peoples opinions to fit your own. If you don't want to know what people think don't ask.

1st and goal
10-20-2009, 08:55 PM
We got in trouble with the LH gang cuz we threw a deep pass while winning 25-0. Pardon us for having a new QB that can pass and a team not used to throwing the ball but once a game the previous years...

Water under the bridge.:p

Gobbla2001
10-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I remember we posted a pic on here once of a Cuero receiver missing an overthrown pass... the scoreboard in the background said "42-0 Cuero in the 2nd qt"... okay, it didn't say it like that, but if you looked at the scoreboard you could see that's what was going on...

someone asked why we were still trying to score... answer is pretty simple "it's the first half, our team needs to work on things, that defense needs to stop us"...

plus it was coming up on playoffs... can't have your starting O playing just 7 minutes a game...

Coach BS
10-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
We got in trouble with the LH gang cuz we threw a deep pass while winning 25-0. Pardon us for having a new QB that can pass and a team not used to throwing the ball but once a game the previous years...

Water under the bridge.:p Agree

BLACK ATTACK
10-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I think 40-50 points is enough. A win is a win. Now I certainly think the game should be out of reach before you get off the gas. But, i also think that the backups that come in should be allowed to run normal offense. They have put in their practice time too. For instance, in our game against Whitesboro, we were winning 35-0 at the half. Our JV played the 2nd half since their game against Whiresboro had been cancelled. They didn't score any, but got the experience.

LH Panther Mom
10-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Coach BS
LHPM, the part about Cameron was a joke, haha,get it ? No I guess not. You ask a question about what is acceptable and you get opinions, now you want to change peoples opinions to fit your own. If you don't want to know what people think don't ask.
You should've said "haha" the first time. :p Although Cameron wouldn't be my personal choice. :devil:

And actually, I'm not interested in changing peoples' opinions. Part of the original post was "what do you do to NOT keep scoring more than is acceptable".

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2009, 09:12 PM
How many points is "acceptable" to score on your opponent? And for discussion - what method(s) do you use to keep from scoring more than the acceptable number of points?

Depends on the opponent, if it's SOURWATER, no limits, other than that, 35 points

Diocletian
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Last choice should read 80+

Because not even 100 points is enough to be too high.

It's human nature to beat a dead horse. Nothing wrong with acting on physical needs to prove that your better than someone else.

In fact, that's why sports were created..because seeing someone do something better is entertaining.

lange4
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Put in a 6-man rule that says once you are ahead by 45 at halftime or later the game is over. This rule hurt Richland Springs several years ago because they never went past halftime till the semi-final game and then did not have the stamina to play a whole game and lost. Thier only loss in 4 years.

big daddy russ
10-21-2009, 11:37 PM
I haven't read any of the posts in this thread, but how can you say what's "too much?" If you do everything possible to call off the dogs but still score every time you touch the ball, it's not your problem.

On the same note, I'm a big believer that second- and third-stringers should have every chance to score a TD that the starters do. They put just as much effort as the first string the rest of the week. So when a team is up by 30 in the fourth, by all means- put in the backups and let them play.