PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering....

Ranger Mom
10-19-2009, 09:10 PM
If you don't think your team is as good as they have been in the past, and you verbalize it on a message board...does that make you LESS of a fan??

I never thought so, but from some of the posts I have read, I guess I am wrong!!!

blowfish
10-19-2009, 09:12 PM
If you are honest about your team and recognize their shortcomings but still support them you are a true fan.

TheDOCTORdre
10-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I think part of being a true fan is being realistic with expectations, but never stop rooting for your team. Realisticly, when you look at Sweetwater/Snyder this week on paper it looks like Snyder should win, but it'll be a cold day in hades before I call it a day and not root for my Stangs

blowfish
10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I think part of being a true fan is being realistic with expectations, but never stop rooting for your team. Realisticly, when you look at Sweetwater/Snyder this week on paper it looks like Snyder should win, but it'll be a cold day in hades before I call it a day and not root for my Stangs

That is what is great about sports. Sometimes the impossible happens and the underdog rises up and smites the unbeatable!

Ranger Mom
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
I guess this thread is in support of the Brownwood Realist dude!!!

I don't see what he has said that is so bad...yet he is getting SLAMMED by his fellow fan(atics!!)

TheDOCTORdre
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
That is what is great about sports. Sometimes the impossible happens and the underdog rises up and smites the unbeatable!

are you calling Sndyer "unbeatable" hahahaha I know your not but when I read your post in context to mine it would seem like you imply that, but i know you dont mean that considering ya'll beat them...

the thought of Snyder being unbeatable makes me LOL literally

LE Dad
10-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If you don't think your team is as good as they have been in the past, and you verbalize it on a message board...does that make you LESS of a fan??

I never thought so, but from some of the posts I have read, I guess I am wrong!!!
No, it is not you that is wrong. :thinking:

blowfish
10-19-2009, 09:18 PM
If you are talkingabout our friend Roket..... his problem is that most people havent met him in real person and dont understand the context in which he roots for his team.

Granted he does go a litle overboard but I have met him and I can honestly say he has a passion for his team and you cant fault the guy for that. When I met him he was humble and expressed without remorse the reasons his team lost the game.

Ranger Mom
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
If you are talkingabout our friend Roket..... his problem is that most people havent met him in real person and dont understand the context in which he roots for his team.

Granted he does go a litle overboard but I have met him and I can honestly say he has a passion for his team and you cant fault the guy for that. When I met him he was humble and expressed without remorse the reasons his team lost the game.

LOL!! No, it's not Rocket I am talking about. I have met him a couple of times, you can't help but like him!!!

blowfish
10-19-2009, 09:20 PM
are you calling Sndyer "unbeatable" hahahaha I know your not but when I read your post in context to mine it would seem like you imply that, but i know you dont mean that considering ya'll beat them...

the thought of Snyder being unbeatable makes me LOL literally

Actually I was thinking of a couple of years ago when Clyde was kicking our rear all over the field. They deserved to win and the beat us. We just happened to score more points and got the win. Ask any kid in that game and they all know Clyde won the game.

LE Dad
10-19-2009, 09:25 PM

I don't see what he has said that is so bad...yet he is getting SLAMMED by his fellow fan(atics!!) He just seems to be "old school" still supports the Wood but without all of the crap. I think he is great and hope he keeps posting. It is nice to see an honest opinion.:clap: :clap:

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Nope. It's called being honest.

Looking4number8
10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
LOL!! No, it's not Rocket I am talking about. I have met him a couple of times, you can't help but like him!!!

I am sure you are talking about me and you may be right. My problem with him is he loves to dog the current program. We are no where near the power house we were "back in the day" but times are different. Gordon Wood was doing things way ahead of his time... Things will never be the same for Brownwood or any team like they were for us way back then. I just dont like it when people come on here pretending to be a fan but love to dog the current kids and program.

I could be way off base on this but he did the same thing last year.

Trashman
10-19-2009, 09:34 PM

I don't see what he has said that is so bad...yet he is getting SLAMMED by his fellow fan(atics!!)

If Brownwood were to win the DII SC "Realist" would complain that it didn't really count because it wasn't in DI. Gordon Wood is dead and all those glory years are in the past. Time to move on and make new traditions for a new era in Brownwood football. Do I agree with everything that is going on in Brownwood football? No.....but I'm smart enough to know that Coach Shipley could be the guy to get us an 8th star. Calling himself a "Realist" justifies his complaining in his own mind, when all it does is make him look like an a$$.

Sign me...

Happy to be a Brownwood Lion fan win or lose.:thinking:

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
If his team was 10-0 he would still complain.:thinking: HIGHLY doubtful. Just saying.

Ranger Mom
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I am sure you are talking about me and you may be right. My problem with him is he loves to dog the current program. We are no where near the power house we were "back in the day" but times are different. Gordon Wood was doing things way ahead of his time... Things will never be the same for Brownwood or any team like they were for us way back then. I just dont like it when people come on here pretending to be a fan but love to dog the current kids and program.

I could be way off base on this but he did the same thing last year.

I went back and read his posts from last year. I liked him then too!!!

Personally, I don't think you have to agree with every play the coach calls...I think it's okay to have your own opinion.

Heck...that is what makes the games so fun to me is to listen to people grumble in the stands...I don't know why those fans should "STAY HOME" as I have seen some say!!

I know I have asked my husband countless times..."What in the heck is he doing?? That play hasn't worked the past eleventy-three times he is ran it!!!".....but I don't think I should have to STAY HOME because I think it's a stupid call. Heck..what do I know??? Not nearly as much as the coach does...but I can still have an opinion and voice it.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

Trashman
10-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I went back and read his posts from last year. I liked him then too!!!

Personally, I don't think you have to agree with every play the coach calls...I think it's okay to have your own opinion.

Heck...that is what makes the games so fun to me is to listen to people grumble in the stands...I don't know why those fans should "STAY HOME" as I have seen some say!!

I know I have asked my husband countless times..."What in the heck is he doing?? That play hasn't worked the past eleventy-three times he is ran it!!!".....but I don't think I should have to STAY HOME because I think it's a stupid call. Heck..what do I know??? Not nearly as much as the coach does...but I can still have an opinion and voice it.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

You are right RM, but that is not what "Realist" wants.

Ranger Mom
10-19-2009, 10:02 PM
If Brownwood were to win the DII SC "Realist" would complain that it didn't really count because it wasn't in DI. Gordon Wood is dead and all those glory years are in the past. Time to move on and make new traditions for a new era in Brownwood football. Do I agree with everything that is going on in Brownwood football? No.....but I'm smart enough to know that Coach Shipley could be the guy to get us an 8th star. Calling himself a "Realist" justifies his complaining in his own mind, when all it does is make him look like an a$$.

Sign me...

Happy to be a Brownwood Lion fan win or lose.:thinking:

He gave Shipley credit and said he thinks that Brownwood has turned the corner.....he just has a wait and see attitude....I don't see where that is such a bad thing.

I just can't help but wonder if the "Brownwood fans" are too close to the situation to read what he is saying.

Or.....maybe I am just dumb!

:p

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Can I get a link to the posts in question?

LE Dad
10-19-2009, 10:10 PM
He gave Shipley credit and said he thinks that Brownwood has turned the corner.....he just has a wait and see attitude....I don't see where that is such a bad thing.

I just can't help but wonder if the "Brownwood fans" are too close to the situation to read what he is saying.

:p I am reading what you are. I can't speak for last year but from what I read today his main point of complaint was all of the chest thumping. He seems to be a Bwd fan to me??

Trashman
10-19-2009, 10:11 PM

No ma'am quite the contrary. IMO "Realist" has to give Shipley the credit because he is winning. If Brownwood stumbles on it's way to the playoffs "Realist" will be all over Shipley like a bum on a bologna sandwich. The true Lion Fan will reserve judgement until Shipley proves he can't win in Brownwood. Most fans will give him 5 years.

95mustang
10-19-2009, 10:20 PM

I have never thought you were dumb. I can also see where you may be talking about my post. As for BWDrealist if he has been watching games as long as he says he has then he has seen way more games than I have. He has seen some of the best teams in the state for many years. If this is the case then I can see where he is a fan. I just can't imagine a fan saying that their team will be rocked by anyone. I've seen many games in my life where the team that was suppose to lose won the game. Do I like our chances Friday night, yes I do. I also don't understand why anyone would automatically assume we are going to get rocked.

He probably is a fan of Brownwood Lions. A fan from a different era then some of us that post on here. Maybe that is why we don't understand his logic.

skins4life
10-19-2009, 10:33 PM

That is exactly the way I feel about "MY" 'Skins. I root for them every time they get on the field knowing in my heart right now, they don't have the HEART to win. They have the personal, they just lack that extra something to get them motivated. I will root for them every game this year. I will jump up and down, scream and holler at the TV and probably say something derogatory about the coach. If they go 2-14 I will still be a 'Skins fan.
Enough about the 'Skins.

GO TIGERS

Ranger Mom
10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
No ma'am quite the contrary. IMO "Realist" has to give Shipley the credit because he is winning. If Brownwood stumbles on it's way to the playoffs "Realist" will be all over Shipley like a bum on a bologna sandwich. The true Lion Fan will reserve judgement until Shipley proves he can't win in Brownwood. Most fans will give him 5 years.

I will adopt his "wait and see" attitude. In 2 seasons he has 16 posts...so it's not like he is just all over the board spouting off.

Looking4number8
10-19-2009, 10:36 PM
This could be pretty easy, many of you did not like Rocket until the meet and greets. Once you met him, you understood him more and what he says comes across differently. Right now, I dont know bwdrealist, invite him to the meet and greet and lets see who he is and get a better feel of his personality. Then we will all feel better about it. If we still dont like each other, then we know it for sure.

Ranger Mom
10-19-2009, 10:38 PM
This could be pretty easy, many of you did not like Rocket until the meet and greets. Once you met him, you understood him more and what he says comes across differently. Right now, I dont know bwdrealist, invite him to the meet and greet and lets see who he is and get a better feel of his personality. Then we will all feel better about it. If we still dont like each other, then we know it for sure.

Good idea!! I put you in charge of the next Brownwood M&G!!!:D

Looking4number8
10-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Good idea!! I put you in charge of the next Brownwood M&G!!!:D

Not me, I'm a follower, not a leader!:)

Trashman
10-19-2009, 10:45 PM
FOOTBALL IS WAR........YOUR EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME.....NOW PICK A SIDE.................

:D

ccmom
10-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Good idea!! I put you in charge of the next Brownwood M&G!!!:D Maybe he will actually SHOW UP if you put him in charge?? Will you, L48?? JK...I was a no-show at DaHop's M&G, and he even bought me hot chocolate! I just wanted to have something to add here...toodles.

Looking4number8
10-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
Maybe he will actually SHOW UP if you put him in charge?? Will you, L48?? JK...I was a no-show at DaHop's M&G, and he even bought me hot chocolate! I just wanted to have something to add here...toodles.

The truth is I did not show up at the Wylie meet and greet because I had a date at the game and I was embarrassed to admit I knew you guys:)

ccmom
10-20-2009, 07:15 AM
The truth is I did not show up at the Wylie meet and greet because I had a date at the game and I was embarrassed to admit I knew you guys:) Wow...you are much smarter than I give you credit for! Wise move!

ccmom
10-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Actually I just got lazy and did not walk down there.. Lion King and I waved from a distance but you guys snubbed us and did not wave back. You acted like you did not notice me in the crowd.:)

The truth is I did not show up at the Wylie meet and greet because I had a date at the game and I was embarrassed to admit I knew you guys:)

Awww....that is soooo sweet!:inlove: :inlove:

DaHop72
10-20-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking wookin knows double-speak.:D :D

ccmom
10-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I'm thinking wookin knows double-speak.:D :D

Either that or he knows Lion King a little better than I thought? :eek: :confused: Just saying...:D

Looking4number8
10-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Either that or he knows Lion King a little better than I thought? :eek: :confused: Just saying...:D

no way on that one, if you knew his wife you would not even think it... She scares the crap out of me and she is one of my best buddies, no way do I want to piss her off!!!!!

SintonFan
10-20-2009, 10:33 PM

You're not wrong
Let me broaden this:
In the early days of this board, it was sometimes considered that you were less of a fan if you mentioned that your team could lose or give your honest constructive criticism. Looking back then, almost a decade ago, every one was a lot younger. A decade is a long time to many of us. Time to grow up, raise kids and attend maybe 100-200 High School games in that time(not including middle scruel, freshman and jv games). Many folks have become more mature in that time(talking about sports mostly lol).
There will always be those who portray themselves as "the ultimate fan". Life tends to frown on being one of those. Sometimes you learn that dealing with failures is more important than dealing with success. You get a better outlook at life and happiness when you do your best to deal with failure.
I have seen that many times on this board...
I've dealt with it myself quite a bit.
I can remember times that those from Burnet, Bellville and Sinton(and many other towns) wanted to kill each other and some of their own posters. Years later, after many trials between us; teams and fans, I would think most of us, have more respect for the others' teams than sometimes even our own teams.
This board, gives you a chance to get a flavor of other towns intimately and learn from their mistakes, to an extent.
So many of us were shocked when a state-favorited title team left early in the playoffs or even didn't make it. Those that have been here(or read) for some time have learned that lesson over and over again. So IT IS OK now to have a realistic vision of what your team can or might do.
Those who criticize those for not blindly following their team might have "rose colored glasses" still and just might be fairly new here, afterall.

just my .02