PDA

View Full Version : Best Team???

big daddy russ
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I've been wondering this for a while, wanted to get the Downlow's opinion of it.

For the sake of argument, let's just imagine that UT has been rolling all their opponents on their way to a 9-0 record this year. In this fantasy world, they own big victories over Bama, Florida, and USC in non-conference, and OU, Nebraska, Tech, Kansas, and Okie Lite in Big XII play. They've handled each team with ease and are the consensus best team in the nation until week 10, when they lose to 1-8 Colorado.

Do they suddenly lose their title as "best team in the nation" if they lose? If you believe so, tell us why. If you don't think so, why not. Also, why, in your opinion, are we conditioned to think this way? Does it go back to when the AP ranking determined the national champ, or is it something else entirely?

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've been wondering this for a while, wanted to get the Downlow's opinion of it.

For the sake of argument, let's just imagine that UT has been rolling all their opponents on their way to a 9-0 record this year. In this fantasy world, they own big victories over Bama, Florida, and USC in non-conference, and OU, Nebraska, Tech, Kansas, and Okie Lite in Big XII play. They've handled each team with ease and are the consensus best team in the nation until week 10, when they lose to 1-8 Colorado.

Do they suddenly lose their title as "best team in the nation" if they lose? If you believe so, tell us why. If you don't think so, why not. Also, why, in your opinion, are we conditioned to think this way? Does it go back to when the AP ranking determined the national champ, or is it something else entirely? Depends on how bad and the situation of the loss to Colorado.

If they got spanked while at full strength... then yes... they lose it.

But if they had key injuries and bad breaks and only lost by a handfull... then I say they stay #1.

Keith7
10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
In this fantasy world, does Texas have Tebow as QB? Because if so, that means they are overrated and shouldn't be #1 to begin with

carter08
10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Is there another undefeated team in a major conference?

Who is the Colorado win to, how many losses to Top 25 schools?

Any injuries for Texas in the game?

Score?

TheDOCTORdre
10-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Do they suddenly lose their title as "best team in the nation" if they lose? If you believe so, tell us why. If you don't think so, why not. Also, why, in your opinion, are we conditioned to think this way? Does it go back to when the AP ranking determined the national champ, or is it something else entirely?

I need to know some variables, such as who is the 2nd best team in football and what does their resume look like...how bad is the 1-8 Colorado team, is it as bad as their record looks or have they lost to a bunch of good teams along the way and played them close? was the lost to colorado at home and if so by how many? was it snowing in colorado, was any key players hurt? I need to know man:D

big daddy russ
10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Let's say UT's at full strength, the second-best team is Ohio State, and the Bucks' signature win is against a pretty good Notre Dame team. ND is about as good in this fantasy world as they are this year--top 25 material.

Colorado's one win doesn't matter. I'm playing Colorado in this fantasy world as the Colorado of the real world. If they managed a win, it was probably against an Alabama 5A school missing their stud RB, DT, and towel boy. The win against Texas was a tough win... we'll say 13-10. The Horn defense showed up but the offense was awful.

TheDOCTORdre
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Let's say UT's at full strength, the second-best team is Ohio State, and the Bucks' signature win is against a pretty good Notre Dame team. ND is about as good in this fantasy world as they are this year--top 25 material.

Colorado's one win doesn't matter. I'm playing Colorado in this fantasy world as the Colorado of the real world. If they managed a win, it was probably against an Alabama 5A school missing their stud RB, DT, and towel boy.

Ohio State undefeated?

and ND being as good in the real world as they are now means they're over-rated lol:D

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 05:11 PM

Colorado's one win doesn't matter. I'm playing Colorado in this fantasy world as the Colorado of the real world. If they managed a win, it was probably against an Alabama 5A school missing their stud RB, DT, and towel boy. Texas is no longer #1.

big daddy russ
10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
Texas is no longer #1.
The question isn't so much whether they should still be the top team as to why they should or shouldn't still be there.

What makes Texas worse than Ohio State? Why SHOULD we think this way?

Think out of the box and don't just use the stock ESPN answer. And don't think of it in terms of college rankings that mean the world and decide national championships. Think of it as HS or NFL rankings that don't matter at all. We're just ranking the teams where they actually belong.

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
The question isn't so much whether they should still be the top team as to why they should or shouldn't still be there.

What makes Texas worse than Ohio State? Why SHOULD we think this way?

Think out of the box and don't just use the stock ESPN answer. And don't think of it in terms of college rankings that mean the world and decide national championships. Think of it as HS or NFL rankings that don't matter at all. We're just ranking the teams where they actually belong. Assuming OSU is undefeated..... they should get the nod because they don't have a loss and UT had just lost to a terrible team.

carter08
10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
exactly.

if UT loses to Colorado, then it is a sign UT isn't as good as they seem. Ohio State could be the best team, it just depends on if they've played good teams and won good games.

TheDOCTORdre
10-19-2009, 05:29 PM
If OSU is undefeated and has shown just as much dominance as UT has in their victories, then UT should drop and OSU should be #1 however if the Buckeyes have one loss or have not been dominant and have had some escapes against less than quality teams then I think UT tays number 1

big daddy russ
10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
So you're saying that if UT beat nine of the top 15 teams by an average of four or five TDs, you'd put them as underdogs to tOSU?

TheDOCTORdre
10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
So you're saying that if UT beat nine of the top 15 teams by an average of four or five TDs, you'd put them as underdogs to tOSU?

well like i said it depends on OSU whole body of work and their dominance in their games...I wouldnt put them as underdogs unless Ohio State total resume of work

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 05:41 PM
So you're saying that if UT beat nine of the top 15 teams by an average of four or five TDs, you'd put them as underdogs to tOSU? Depends on how dominant tOSU has been.