PDA

View Full Version : Reg IV GOTW..Needville (6-1, 2-0) @ Sweeny (5-2, 2-0)

SHSBulldog00
10-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Needville will travel to Sweeny this week for a tilt that will more than likely determine the District 26 Championship. Both teams are coming off of hard fought victories. The winner will secure a playoff spot. Sweeny and Needville are bitter rivals in every sport. Which team will recover from last weeks battles for this Game of the Week nominee?

Pudlugger
10-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Needville will win. They have the horses and play a very disciplined game.

Move The Chains
10-17-2009, 06:29 PM
I'll take needville in a close one, but sweeny has a good team. Wouldn't surprise me if sweeny pulls it out.

SHSBulldog00
10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I think this will be another tough contest. Sweeny will use their speed to win over the Jays. Very Close.

mac77
10-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Needville is one of those unimpressive, methodical but fundatmental teams that just does things right. If you don't take care of business they will make you pay. That said, Sweeny will need to create some big plays so their speed is a factor. Turnovers could be the difference in this game. Winner should be district champs.

Move The Chains
10-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Needville is one of those unimpressive, methodical but fundatmental teams that just does things right. If you don't take care of business they will make you pay. That said, Sweeny will need to create some big plays so their speed is a factor. Turnovers could be the difference in this game. Winner should be district champs. Agreed on all points.

carter08
10-18-2009, 12:58 AM
needville wins. Sweeny defense can't let needville get 3 4th quarter redzone trips, because they'll get at least 17 out of them.

Dogs_21
10-18-2009, 01:11 AM
sweeny by 6

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Sweeny 14-10

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Be sure to have plenty of EMS personnel at this game for the fans as this will be a game that will test the fans wills.

Like they say on ESPN "It will be a Maalox masher".:)

Ghostrider
10-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Sweeny and Needville game will be a smash mouth type of game with the team making the fewest mistakes winning. Needville will be putting all it marbles in for this game-it is their game of the year:rolleyes:

Bull's-eye
10-18-2009, 10:29 AM
I was leaning toward Needville, but their struggle with Wharton has me wondering. :thinking:

ol country boy
10-18-2009, 10:30 AM
I like the jays in this one.

OldBison75
10-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Needville will control the game clock with the running game and those big guys upfront. Sweeny might get a big play or two, but Needville won't give them many plays and will win. Needville 21 Sweeny 14.

2-ONES
10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Momentom not talent seems to be the key to wins in this district, the Dogs at home are going to be tough to beat. Sweeny in a close one.

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Needville will control the game clock with the running game and those big guys upfront. Sweeny might get a big play or two, but Needville won't give them many plays and will win. Needville 21 Sweeny 14.

Sweeny can score quickly or they can take time consuming drives. If they play hard and smart Sweeny will come away with the victory.

BRfalconfan
10-18-2009, 06:31 PM
well im pulling for needville to win only because i think it would be easier for royal to beat them at home then sweeny away

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I believe the winner of this game will win the district possibly going 5-0.

BRfalconfan
10-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
I believe the winner of this game will win the district possibly going 5-0.

It really will come down to the last 2 weeks

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
That is true. Brookshire does have a good chance considering the Big 3 (Brookshire, Needville, Sweeny) have not played each other.

44INAROW
10-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Gooooo BlueJays - I say the BlueJays win by 13 - stays close until the middle of the 4th quarter :)

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Where are the Needville poster's? We could really heat this thread up if they were here.:flaming:

IHStangFan
10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
This ought to be a good game. I wouldn't put too much stock into Needville's "performance" against Wharton. They played very coservative and controlled the game tempo scoring only what the needed to win. Perhaps this was in preparation for Sweeny. Who knows. The score was close but the Jays were in control the entire game.

Needville by 10.

Move The Chains
10-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
This ought to be a good game. I wouldn't put too much stock into Needville's "performance" against Wharton. They played very coservative and controlled the game tempo scoring only what the needed to win. Perhaps this was in preparation for Sweeny. Who knows. The score was close but the Jays were in control the entire game.

Needville by 10. I like the way the Jays play, but I like Sweeny's players better.

With that said, Needville plays better "team" ball and they play well in all 3 aspects of the game. I'll take the Jays by a Td. :clap:

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 09:45 PM
If they were looking ahead, they almost got surprised by the Tigers.

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Is all of 25-3A and 26-3A pulling for the Bluejay's?

IHStangFan
10-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Nah. I was at the game. Needville was in control and on cruise control the entire game. They scored at will when necessary and played conservative otherwise. The game was never in jeopardy. Don't read too much into it.

By the way....coming to yo live from the deer lease via my blackberry. :)

If they were looking ahead, they almost got surprised by the Tigers.

BRfalconfan
10-18-2009, 10:05 PM

Sorta seems it sorry bud lol

BigBlue72
10-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I think this is going to be the match up to watch this week. Both teams have alot of talent, and both teams are going to battle til the end no matter what the score is. I agree with MTC, Needville plays TEAM football and I think Sweeny relies more on their RB, Jamell Woodard. So if Needville stops Woodard, I think they will pull out with the win.

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Sounds like no one wants to see Sweeny have a chance at winning district for 3 of the last 4 years.

mac77
10-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Looks like it! LOL!

As someone who has been at the receiving end of loses from both of these teams, each team has its own identity. Sweeny is loaded with team speed in the skill positions but struggles with the power game. Needville can pound it out with the best of them but lack the type of speed that Sweeny has. Sweeny needs to make big plays and Needville needs to keep the ball away from Sweeny's offense. I believe it will come down to who makes the fewest mistakes and can play their game.

BRfalconfan
10-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Sounds like no one wants to see Sweeny have a chance at winning district for 3 of the last 4 years.

I wanna see Brookshire lol

IHStangFan
10-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Nah. I doubt that's the case. This game could go eithe way. Think maybe people just think Needville might be the favorite this year. There is no doubt Sweeny has a good shot at pulling the "upset" though. Thet are always tough and always have talent.

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 10:16 PM
If you call it an upset it would be a minor upset.

Move The Chains
10-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Sounds like no one wants to see Sweeny have a chance at winning district for 3 of the last 4 years. No, not that.

The reason I am "pulling" for the Jays is because IHStangfan is my favorite poster on 3ADL. :clap:

The reason I am "picking" Needville to win is because I have seen Sweeny and Needville play and I think the Jays have what it takes to pull it out this year. I've said twice that I think it will be VERY close (within a score) and I won't be surprised if Sweeny DOES pull it out.

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 10:30 PM
This is the article about Sweeny vs. W.C.

Bulldogs put down Rouchnecks’ rally

Published October 17, 2009

WEST COLUMBIA — They didn’t coin the phrase “bend, don’t break,” but the Sweeny Bulldogs learned what it meant Friday night.

The Bulldogs’ defense held on downs three times inside its own 10-yard line in the fourth quarter as they held on for a 14-8 District 26-3A victory over their cross-county rivals, the Columbia Roughnecks.

“They have the courage of young people,” Sweeny coach Tommy Zajicek said. “But sometimes you have to step up and be a man, and they did that tonight.”

The Roughnecks were able to drive to the Sweeny 8 early in the fourth quarter and down to their 5 twice later in the fourth, but the Bulldogs’ defense stiffened each time.

“You have to give them credit, they were able to hold us out every time,” Columbia coach Leland Surovik said. “They are a good football team.”

Columbia’s final drive of the game was halted when Gary Woodard intercepted a fourth-down pass on the goal line to stop the Roughnecks from tying the score with 9 seconds remaining in the game.

“I was proud of our defense,” Zajicek said. “They had every opportunity to let them score, but they kept them out.”

Columbia controlled the football for most of the second half.

The ’Necks started it with a 90-yard drive for their only touchdown of the game.

Sean Flannel capped the drive with a 1-yard touchdown plunge with 4:04 left in the third quarter. The drive consumed 5:15 off the clock in the quarter. Flannel would then run up the middle for the two-point conversion to leave the Roughnecks down 6.

The Bulldogs didn’t have much luck on their next possession either when Columbia defense lineman Matt Hunt stepped in front of an attempted screen pass and returned it to the Sweeny 46.

The Bulldogs stiffened as the Roughnecks could only get as far as the Bulldog 8 with 10:32 left in the game.

The Roughnecks consumed another four minutes off the clock on their next possession, only to be turned away again at the Sweeny 5 with five minutes left in the game.

Columbia’s last possession started with 1:57 left in the game at its own 40. Roughneck quarterback Daymond Lewis completed a 29-yard pass to Chaz Easton to the Sweeny 31 to get the drive started.

It would end with Gary Woodard’s interception.

Sweeny (5-2, 2-0) scored all of its points in the first half.

Running back Jamell Woodard, who rushed for 140 yards, scored the first of his two touchdowns with 8:25 left in the first quarter on a 49-yard run to cap a 91-yard drive.

With 2:20 left in the second quarter, the Sweeny senior would score again on a 6-yard run to finish a 72-yard drive and leave the Bulldogs up 14-0 at the half.

Columbia was still confident at the half.

“The kids believed we were still in it. I could see it in their eyes,” Surovik said. “We just fell short.”

SHSBulldog00
10-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Here is an article on Needville vs. Wharton

Missed opportunities haunt Wharton in loss to Bluejays

Published:
Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:20 AM CDT
Needville held off a late Wharton rally to take a 20-15 victory over the Tigers Friday night at Bluejay Stadium.

With the loss, the Tigers are now 0-6 on the season and 0-2 in District 26-3A. Next week, the Tigers are at home and will host the Stafford Spartans starting at 7:30 p.m.

The Bluejays scored on their first possession of the game on a Caleb Berry touchdown pass to Josh Novosad for three yards. Berry added the extra point to make the score 7-0 with 5:42 left in the first quarter.

The Bluejays recovered a Tiger fumble on the next possession and took over at the Tiger 33 with 3:26 left in the quarter and two plays later after Novosad picked up five yards, Berry connected with Jake Johnson from 28 yards out for a touchdown. Berry added the extra point making the score 14-0 with 2:38 left in the first quarter.

The Tigers drove to the Needville 10 yard line on the next drive but the Jays recovered a Tiger fumble and took over at their own 21 with 8:44 left in the half.

On the Bluejays next possession Berry threw an incomplete pass on a fake punt and the Tigers took over at the Bluejay 21 with 7:20 left in the half.

The Tigers got to the Bluejay 14 before turning the ball over on downs.

Wharton took the kickoff to begin the second half and went on a nearly eight minute drive capped off by a diving catch by Ken Lowery on a throw from Doug Ford from 17 yards out for a touchdown. Brett Kocian added the extra point making the score 14-7 with 4:16 left in the half.

The Bluejays were forced to punt on their next drive and the Tigers took over at their own 37.

Deshavian Williams picked up 30 yards on the next play to the Bluejay 33 but the Tigers were stopped on fourth down and the Bluejays took over at their own 32 with only six ticks left in the third quarter.

The Tigers forced another punt on the Bluejays next possession and took over at their 38 with 10:57 left in the game.

On third and 8 from their 40, Williams picked up 14 yards to the Bluejay 46 and on the next play picked up 12 yards to the Bluejay 34.

Three plays later on third and 3 from the 27, Williams picked up 10 yards to the Bluejay 17. After an incomplete pass Ford, Williams picked up 15 yards to the Bluejay 2.

Ford picked up 1 yard on the next play and after a false start penalty Williams ran the ball in from 6 yards out for a touchdown. Kocian’s extra point attempt was blocked leaving the score 14-13 with 5:49 left in the game.

Needville took over at the Tiger 47 with 5:41 left and on the next play Novosad picked up three yards top the 44 and the Tigers were called for a personal foul; moving the ball to the Tiger 29. On the next play Berry connected with Dylan Fuchs for 11 yards to the Tiger 16 and Fuchs picked up another yard on the next play to the Tiger 15.

Shea Lehman ran the ball in for a touchdown on the next play. Berry’s extra point attempt was no good leaving the score 20-13 with 3;38 left.

The Tigers drove to the Bluejay 41 on their next drive before an incomplete pass on fourth down and 9 gave the Bluejays the ball with 1:33 left.

The Bluejays took a safety to run out the clock making the score 20-15.

Williams Led the Tigers with 171 yards on 26 carries. Ford completed five of 12 passes for 42, with Lowery catching four passes for 35 yards.

Fuchs led the Bluejays with 60 yards on 11 carries and Berry completed six of 11 passes for 76 yards and a touchdown.

Johnson caught three passes for 53 yards to lead the Bluejays.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Year in and Year out these two teams have been at the top of District 26. This game is always the best game of the year for this district.

Sweeny wins at home.

jayfan1
10-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Should be a close one. Will a wet field play into it? Rain predicted again in the middle of the week thru Friday.

Fuchs kid is a beast. Would like to see the Jays air it out a little more, but they will probably pound it on the ground most of the night.

Jays by a TD.

Ex-Kat52
10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
I like my Jays this week. It should make for a good game. I think that they are going to be able to come home with a win. My nephew said that the team believes that they are going to win, and that puts them one step closer.
I think that the winner of this one could very well be the dist. champ, but again Royal is going to be 3-0 in Dist. after this week. One of the other teams is going to be 2-1.
Of the three top teams, I think Needville has the lightest load left after this week, therefore, I would have to take them to be the Champs this year. Sweeny has Royal and Wharton left, Needville has Stafford and Royal, and Royal has to play Sweeny and Needville.
I could also see our buddy in between us getting it together and make a playoff run. If Columbia beats Stafford, Royal and Wharton then they will make it. I know that the people here in Needville will be pulling for them.

Kojak
10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Ex-Kat, I hear the coaching staff at needville painted up the field for the Wharton game. Was that for a little extra motivation? By the way, I pick your Jays by a touchdown this week.

Ex-Kat52
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I know that Friday the field had an extra N in the center and the numbers were outlined in Blue. They also had a couple of Jays on the field. I thought that it looked great. I asked my nephew yesterday about it, and he said that the coaches just wanted it to look nice for the last couple of home ballgames. It wouldn't suprize me if they kept it up, it looked great.

Kojak
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
It's nice to see coaches do a little extra for the kids. I think it helps everyone involved buy into the program.

SweenyBulldog
10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Hmmm tough game ahead...I wasen't too impressed with Sweeny's 2nd half of the game against Dub C (Offense Wise...Defense did great and was there when needed)...If Sweeny can complete some passes to open up the defense for Jamell and Tre to run and the defense does a performance like they had against WC I see Sweeny winning...On the other hand Needville does play good TEAM ball and I remeber when Sweeny played Liberty Hill in the playoffs, that team didn't have alot of speed but played TEAM ball and it eventually wore Sweeny down. With that said I wouldn't really call this an upset game we have 2 power house team's in D26 that are bitter rivals every year....One with Speed and tons of talent and another that plays good smashmouth in your face football...I'm honestly not going to say who I think will win because I don't know but I will say this game will be within a touchdown.

Ex-Kat52
10-19-2009, 09:11 AM
[i]With that said I wouldn't really call this an upset game we have 2 power house team's in D26 that are bitter rivals every year....One with Speed and tons of talent and another that plays good smashmouth in your face football...I'm honestly not going to say who I think will win because I don't know but I will say this game will be within a touchdown. [/B]

I don't think that anyone believes that this is going to be a blowout, however one team is going to be a favorite, making for an upset possibility. I think that Needville is going to be the favorite; according to this poll that is the case. That give Sweeny a great opportunity for an upset. I know that Sweeny is not accustomed to be in that position, but that has been Needville's role more times than not, and we are used to that role and have upset teams many times. It is not a bad role it is what it is though.

SweenyBulldog
10-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Kat52
I don't think that anyone believes that this is going to be a blowout, however one team is going to be a favorite, making for an upset possibility. I think that Needville is going to be the favorite; according to this poll that is the case. That give Sweeny a great opportunity for an upset. I know that Sweeny is not accustomed to be in that position, but that has been Needville's role more times than not, and we are used to that role and have upset teams many times. It is not a bad role it is what it is though. True one team will be the favorite...I just see both of these teams equal in their own way and 2-0 in district so thats why I don't think of it as a upset game, just a really big and really important one.

Dogs_21
10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
I heard needville has a good team and all but people think they are better then the dogs just because sweeny lost two to a good Brazosport team and Bay City. No offense to Needville but I don't think the Jays would have beat That bport team and Bay City had played talent all year before they played the Dogs so sweeny lost to two teas that aren't push overs.. I hope the Dogs win... I rather loose to the Roughnecks then the Jays that shows my take on this rival game!

SweenyBulldog
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Sometimes I think the Sweeny and Needville rivalry are bigger then Sweeny and West Columbia

jaydog34
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I dont think needville has played a push over schedule either. columbus was undefeated when they played and la grange is still undefeated and that is after playing two very good district 25 teams. i think needville should have won that game as well. they were really close. with that being said i think both teams are battle tested and will be a very good game. i think that both teams have the advantage in certain aspects of the game. the team with the least amount of errors will win.

jaydog34
10-19-2009, 10:29 AM
i know that to the jays this is a huge rivalry game. i dont knw what sweenys take is on it but this is the biggest game of the season for needville every year.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 10:34 AM
People in Sweeny are not worried about who else makes the playoffs as long as we beat Needville and win District.

Dogs_21
10-19-2009, 10:48 AM
We don't base our season on the needville game but its a big one! All the coaches go all the way out to get the players pumped up for this one! All the stories that will told and pranks that will be played will have the dogs fired up! I know Needville have played some good teams also from D25 and maybe could have beat la grange but we should have beat Bay City and that the past now...So now its Sweeny Vs Nerdville lol!!

You Gotta Love Texas High School football!

SweenyBulldog
10-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I think it's the same for Sweeny...I distinctly remember the years I have played in games against needville and being much more pumped for the game just like I would be against WC

Ex-Kat52
10-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I think that the people do see Sweeny losing to two pre-season games and not thinking that they are going to win. I know that I cannot say that Needville would have beat those two teams, but I can say that I think Needville will be the toughest team that Sweeny has seen this year. That being said I see Needville playing well and together. I think this will be a great test for the Jays, and an opportunity to put a full game together. Only Monday and cannot wait until Friday.

Dogs_21
10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Needville will be tough But not the best Sweeny played this year trust me!

jaydog34
10-19-2009, 11:17 AM
i think deep down inside sweeny is taking this game as thier biggest of the year. not only because it is needville but also because it has such large district championship implications. yes brookshire royal is also undefeated as well and after friday there will only be two undefeated teams. so i do think sweeny is taking it seriously then any other game they have played this year. say what you want but it is a huge game for both teams. niether team wants to lose to the other. you cant compare what who did vs who, because you cant get an accurate measure that way. needville beat wc by 19 sweeny beat them by 6 so does that mean needville is 13 points better. no. so you cant compare everything by who played who or both teams would end up being three points better than florida by the time it is all over with because of common ties. it is needville vs sweeny in the region IV game of the week enough said.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by jaydog34
i think deep down inside sweeny is taking this game as thier biggest of the year. not only because it is needville but also because it has such large district championship implications. yes brookshire royal is also undefeated as well and after friday there will only be two undefeated teams. so i do think sweeny is taking it seriously then any other game they have played this year. say what you want but it is a huge game for both teams. niether team wants to lose to the other. you cant compare what who did vs who, because you cant get an accurate measure that way. needville beat wc by 19 sweeny beat them by 6 so does that mean needville is 13 points better. no. so you cant compare everything by who played who or both teams would end up being three points better than florida by the time it is all over with because of common ties. it is needville vs sweeny in the region IV game of the week enough said. :iagree:

This game will definitely be entertaining. The field may be wet after Thursday's forecasted rain. I'll update the field conditions as the week continues.

SweenyBulldog
10-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm def. getting excited about this game...If their's two Sweeny games I go see their entire season its Sweeny vs WC and Sweeny and Needville

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Kat52
I like my Jays this week. It should make for a good game. I think that they are going to be able to come home with a win. My nephew said that the team believes that they are going to win, and that puts them one step closer.
I think that the winner of this one could very well be the dist. champ, but again Royal is going to be 3-0 in Dist. after this week. One of the other teams is going to be 2-1.
Of the three top teams, I think Needville has the lightest load left after this week, therefore, I would have to take them to be the Champs this year. Sweeny has Royal and Wharton left, Needville has Stafford and Royal, and Royal has to play Sweeny and Needville.
I could also see our buddy in between us getting it together and make a playoff run. If Columbia beats Stafford, Royal and Wharton then they will make it. I know that the people here in Needville will be pulling for them. Woohoo! And this WC fan is pulling for the Jays!

West Columbia needs to win out if they want to make the playoffs. Although, they have played the 2 "best" teams in their first 2 district games.

jaydog34
10-19-2009, 02:42 PM
all i can say is that this game is shaping up to be a great one. also what has sweenys jv and freshman been doing. i know needville's jv is still undefeated and thier freshman have lost one game to west columbia. i think these two games on thursday will be just as exciting.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't know about the other's but The Sweeny freshmen lost to West Columbia and the Sweeny JV won 40-21.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
How has Brandon Shaver's done this year? I was very impressed by him last year on J.V..

jaydog34
10-19-2009, 03:34 PM
wow should be a good game between teh jays and the dogs on thursday night. i have always like that when the big game effect travels all the way down to the sub varsity's as well.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 03:38 PM
The Sweeny Freshmen are extremely HUGE. But they are slow off of the ball. The Sweeny Varsity OL is very big and more mobile. Sweeny will try to hit the big play or have long time consuming drives which could make the Jay's defense tired at the end of the game.

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 04:00 PM
The Sweeny Freshmen are extremely HUGE. But they are slow off of the ball. The Sweeny Varsity OL is very big and more mobile. Sweeny will try to hit the big play or have long time consuming drives which could make the Jay's defense tired at the end of the game. Jays have a better Run D than W.C. Gonna be a long night for Woodard. He popped off a few big ones (and will against Needville too) but other than that was contained quite well.

Uncle Buck
10-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by SweenyBulldog
Hmmm tough game ahead...I wasen't too impressed with Sweeny's 2nd half of the game against Dub C (Offense Wise...Defense did great and was there when needed)...If Sweeny can complete some passes to open up the defense for Jamell and Tre to run and the defense does a performance like they had against WC I see Sweeny winning...On the other hand Needville does play good TEAM ball and I remeber when Sweeny played Liberty Hill in the playoffs, that team didn't have alot of speed but played TEAM ball and it eventually wore Sweeny down. With that said I wouldn't really call this an upset game we have 2 power house team's in D26 that are bitter rivals every year....One with Speed and tons of talent and another that plays good smashmouth in your face football...I'm honestly not going to say who I think will win because I don't know but I will say this game will be within a touchdown.

Dude, Liberty hill had as much speed as Sweeny, if not more.

SweenyBulldog
10-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Buck
Dude, Liberty hill had as much speed as Sweeny, if not more. Maybe they matched Sweeny's speed but I didn't notice much I just know that Liberty played damn good team football and were in your face the whole time and that is the point I'm trying to compare with this needville team they might not have alot of speed but they play good team football, they're going to hit you everytime.

IHStangFan
10-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure Needville is as lacking of speed as some like to think. What speed they DON'T have....they make up for w/ a consistent power game. With that said....let's look at these two potential D26 winners....

Here's how the two teams stack up....

Needville:

Total Yds: 1953
Rushing: 1211/5.18 a carry
Passing: 742/16.86/catch
1st Downs: 95

3 of the Jays' RBs are avg. over 5-6yds a carry

Defense has 7 INTs

Needville is avg. 29.42 pts/game. and allowing 13pts/game.

Schedule:
Houston Worthing (W): 21-0 (CXL in 2nd)
Splendora (W): 42-14
La Grange (L): 22-28
Columbus (W): 27-13
Tidehaven (W): 41-14
West Columbia (W): 33-7
Wharton (W): 20-15

Sweeny:

Total Yds: 2105
Rushing: 1481/5.76 a carry
Passing: 624/15.22 a catch
1st Downs: 92

Sweeny's RB Woodard is avg. 7.49 yds a carry w/ 13 TDs. Their 2 other RBs used on a consistant basis are avg. 3-4yds a carry.

Dogs D has 4 INTs

Sweeny is avg. 24.57pts a game and allowing 13.14pts a game.

Schedule:
Van Vleck (W): Shutout 27-0
Brazosport (L): Shutout 0-33
Houston Sterling (W): 35-18
Bay City (L): 7-14
Houston Christian (W): 41-17
Stafford (W): 48-2
West Columbia (W): 14-8

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure Needville is as lacking of speed as some like to think. Needville has more Speed than in years past. They're a bit more athletic this year.

IHStangFan
10-19-2009, 10:58 PM
On a side note.....what happened to Needville's Hajdik at RB? Did he graduate, move, focus on another sport?

Move The Chains
10-19-2009, 11:36 PM
On a side note.....what happened to Needville's Hajdik at RB? Did he graduate, move, focus on another sport? Idk, but they're not hurting for him. Lehman is pretty dang good!

IHStangFan
10-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
Idk, but they're not hurting for him. Lehman is pretty dang good! I can't argue that! Was just curious as to where he is and why he isn't playing....I coulda SWORE he was a junior last year. I understand he's quite the baseball player though....maybe he's focusing on baseball.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 11:41 PM
On a side note.....what happened to Needville's Hajdik at RB? Did he graduate, move, focus on another sport?

IDK but I heard someone say Kobe Hajdik moved to Rosenberg. Can anyone confirm?

IHStangFan
10-19-2009, 11:42 PM
IDK but I heard someone say Kobe Hajdik moved to Rosenberg. Can anyone confirm? Hmmm....I don't know...didn't think he graduated......so maybe so. Wonder which school he wound up at.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Hmmm....I don't know...didn't think he graduated......so maybe so. Wonder which school he wound up at.

They didn't know. They just said he moved to Rosenberg.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Forecast for Friday in Sweeny

Sunny Hi 68
Low 56

Rain on Thursday could make the field wet and muddy.

IHStangFan
10-19-2009, 11:56 PM

Sunny Hi 68
Low 56

Rain on Thursday could make the field wet and muddy. Hopefully the field will be good to go. Otherwise that is PERFECT football weather provided the wind calms down.

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Last Week our Freshmen and J.V. had to play in West Columbia because of rain.

IHStangFan
10-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Last Week our Freshmen and J.V. had to play in West Columbia because of rain. Heck I think we've all been "weather tested" this year. The Needville/La Grange game was halted twice by weather after getting underway late due to an initial delay if I'm not mistaken.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Yeah, will Needville turf their field when the new high school is complete?

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah, will Needville turf their field when the new high school is complete? I honestly don't know amigo. I've only been back home for a couple of weeks now....haven't really been up in town much nor have I heard any of the latest "gossip" about what's what. I'm out of touch I guess, LOL.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Is Briscoe one of the many Jr.'s that are key proponents to the Jay's success?

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Is Briscoe one of the many Jr.'s that are key proponents to the Jay's success? Briscoe has played a big role in the passing game as a WR if I'm not mistaken.....but as of Fri. night I think he may be injured. He did not play in the 2nd half against Wharton if memory serves me correct.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Sorry to here that. One of our starters is injured and can't play for two weeks.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Wouldn't you know we play the Jay's and then Brookshire.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:28 AM
How has Brandon Shaver's done this year? I was very impressed by him last year on J.V..

Any thoughts?

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Wouldn't you know we play the Jay's and then Brookshire. LOL...I know the feeling....if we have any weakness...it's our depth to begin with....now this. Hopefully it was just precautionary. We'll see.

On a separate note......BR scares me a little. That RB of theirs is a beast and ran all over Sealy. If he can't be contained, BR could sneak up on a few of us.

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Any thoughts?

Rushing 6att for 14yds 0TD
Receiving: 2catches for 28yds 0TD

Also plays LB

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:34 AM
He is very impressive. I saw him in Junior High. He is only a Junior.:eek:

I think the players that will step in will do their best to help their team win.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Rushing 6att for 14yds 0TD
Receiving: 2catches for 28yds 0TD

Also plays LB

I thought they would use him a little more but maybe your saving him for us.:D

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:41 AM
On another note

Our district needs to get it going in the playoffs. I know the teams in 25-3A are really good but we need to break that cycle.

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Briscoe is the main target/threat through the air with 216yds and 4 TDs followed by Lehman w/ 210yds and 1 TD. There are 3 other Jays w/ receiving TDs.

The Jays primarily do their business on the ground....

Fuchs has 373yds, 7TDs, 5.92yds/carry
Lehman has 369yds, 4TDs, 6.36yds/carry
Novosad has 278yds, 3TDs, 5.45yds/carry
Wilson has 74yds, 4TDs, 4.11yds/carry
Berry and Scott both have 2 rushing TDs as well.

We've got a good RB rotation w/ several kids that can tote the rock, which is good as it keeps us fresh and cuts down on fatigue in the 2nd half.

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:44 AM
I thought they would use him a little more but maybe your saving him for us.:D Well.....the Jays' D is clicking.....perhaps he's an intricate part? They are very fast to the ball and wind up in the back field a lot.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:44 AM
That's what I call spreading the wealth.

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:45 AM
On another note

Our district needs to get it going in the playoffs. I know the teams in 25-3A are really good but we need to break that cycle. I agree amigo!!

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:46 AM
How has the Jay's OL progressed through the year?

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 12:52 AM

Sunny Hi 68
Low 56

Rain on Thursday could make the field wet and muddy.

This weather usually isn't here till the last week of the regular season. So what will it be like when the playoff's begin?:thinking:

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Lehman w/ 210yds and 1 TD. That can't be right! Lehman had 2 rec TD's for 88 yds against WC alone!

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:58 AM
How has the Jay's OL progressed through the year? They're not too shabby from what I've seen/read. Avg. just under 240lbs (238lbs) and just over 6'0" if I'm not mistaken.

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:59 AM
That can't be right! Lehman had 2 rec TD's for 88 yds against WC alone! I get my stats from the Houston Chronicle.......there's a chance they could be wrong. :thinking:

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 01:00 AM
I get my stats from the Houston Chronicle.......there's a chance they could be wrong. :thinking: Well, one of us is wrong. Who knows?

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 01:02 AM
They're not too shabby from what I've seen/read. Avg. just under 240lbs (238lbs) and just over 6'0" if I'm not mistaken.

Our OL currently Avg. 241lbs. Before some changes we were Avg. 253lbs.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 01:08 AM
We have 3 guys on the sideline that are about 275 each. All Juniors to go along with our LT 6'4" 265 lbs. that is a Jr. as well.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 01:12 AM
We all know you want to stop our RB because everyone does. He has done well. You will try to keep the ball out of his hands. Am I wrong with this assumption?

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Needville will try and control the tempo of the game. But I think Sweeny will win in a tight one.

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Yup....Needville will try to contain yall's RB. The Jays' run defense is pretty decent. Needville can play a very controlled, tempo grinding game w/ their power running game.

It ought to be a good one!! I might just have to venture down to Sweeny on Friday!

:)

jayfan1
10-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Hadjik is a very good baseball player and is still living in Needville and going to school there.

Briscoe is a SR WR/DB with a sore ankle

BRfalconfan
10-20-2009, 06:46 AM
LOL...I know the feeling....if we have any weakness...it's our depth to begin with....now this. Hopefully it was just precautionary. We'll see.

On a separate note......BR scares me a little. That RB of theirs is a beast and ran all over Sealy. If he can't be contained, BR could sneak up on a few of us.

Looks like BR is having there chance this year

Kojak
10-20-2009, 09:28 AM
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Coach Walthall take BR to the state final game several years ago?

Move The Chains
10-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Kojak
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Coach Walthall take BR to the state final game several years ago? I think they made it to the semi's in 2A. :thinking:

BRfalconfan
10-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Kojak
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Coach Walthall take BR to the state final game several years ago?

Sure did I remember watching that game myself they really were the better team I wish they could have played like it that night

Dogs_21
10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I watched BR play in the playoff that year against Van Vleck and I can honestly say they were better then ever team in our 3A district that year...

onsideanytime
10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Needville 63 Sweeny 21, I heard Needville has gone to the spread offensively and the Arkansas Stack Monster on defense, Sweeny Weenies better be ready

Trapper
10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Needville in the spread...very funny.

jaydog34
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
all i can say to needville being in the spread is "BEWARE OF THE DOG"

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Needville in the spread, LOL.....

onsideanytime
10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
just joking about the spread, but the arkansas stack monster i am not joking about, i hear that pancho villa came over and gave the nerdville coaching staff a clinic on the ASM all day on sunday

BigBlue72
10-20-2009, 07:38 PM
That can't be right! Lehman had 2 rec TD's for 88 yds against WC alone!

Lehman does have 3 TD catches along with 4 rushing

IHStangFan
10-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
just joking about the spread, but the arkansas stack monster i am not joking about, i hear that pancho villa came over and gave the nerdville coaching staff a clinic on the ASM all day on sunday pancho helping out in Needville? Blasphemy!!! :D

SHSBulldog00
10-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Pancho taught me the proper way to grow and manicure my grass. It will be put to the test; maybe he can swing over to Sweeny and help them after some WC students burnt WC into the field at Sweeny. That was their prank last week. Same thing every year.

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by BigBlue72
Lehman does have 3 TD catches along with 4 rushing Him and Fuchs look pretty dang good this year. Along w/ Berry on both sides of the ball....not to mention the D as a whole.

GO JAYS!!

SHSBulldog00
10-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Do ya'll have many going both ways? Some of your players moved to Boling earlier this year right? Don't know the number who did.

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Do ya'll have many going both ways? Some of your players moved to Boling earlier this year right? Don't know the number who did. SEVERAL go both ways.....our QB is a very effective player on the D as well.

They are very well conditioned to be able to pull it off and be successful. My hats off to the coach and their conditioning/weight, etc. program.

garciap77
10-21-2009, 07:33 AM
I'll take Needville on this one! Backing the Blue Jays! :)

SweenyBulldog
10-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Friday needs to hurry up!:mad:

Ex-Kat52
10-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Cannot wait for Friday, but let's not forget about tomorrow night's game. Has all the making for a great game. I think both JV teams handled Columbia about the same. I know that Needville's JV is undefeated, and looking to stay that way. Sweeny should be the best JV team that Needville has faced this year. I like the way that the stars are lineing up.

jaydog34
10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
i couldnt agree more the more and more things get closer to friday the more exciting everything gets. the game thursday will be a good one as well. i promise this rivarly has been passed down to the jv and freshman teams as well nobody wants to lose to sweeny in needville. which will make fridays game even more exciting.

SweenyBulldog
10-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh yeah the rivalry is big on the freshmen and JV lol...when I was on JV and we played Needville the game ended in a tie now how do you deal with that ha ha it was a good game tho....:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

jaydog34
10-21-2009, 10:34 AM
i understand that games on the sub varisty level are not as big as the friday night games, but to me if you beat a team as freshman and then beat them on the jv level then you get an extra bit of confidence when you play them on the varisty level. i know there are a lot of different factors between the two levels but winning is winning. and if you can develope an attitude that teams cant beat you then you play with a lot more confidence. so i see these two games tommorrow being very competative.

carter08
10-21-2009, 10:44 AM
wish i was off so i could go to this one. needville by 14, i think.

No, not that.

The reason I am "pulling" for the Jays is because IHStangfan is my favorite poster on 3ADL. :clap:

don't lie, we all know your real favorite is keith.

yes brookshire royal is also undefeated as well and after friday there will only be two undefeated teams.

wrong. WC will beat brookshire.

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by carter08

wrong. WC will beat brookshire. He has no confidence in the Necks. That's ok. We'll be fine. :)

bulldog25
10-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Ill take sweeny in a close one :

Sweeny 17
Neeville 14

The key factors for sweeny i believe will have to be RB Jamell Woodard who will need to get started early and the defense on our side of the field, because i heard this Leyman is very very good as well

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by bulldog25
Ill take sweeny in a close one :

Sweeny 17
Neeville 14

The key factors for sweeny i believe will have to be RB Jamell Woodard who will need to get started early and the defense on our side of the field, because i heard this Leyman is very very good as well From what I've seen....Lehman and Fuchs both are the punishing, bruiser, power type of backs. There is usually always yardage after initial contact.

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
From what I've seen....Lehman and Fuchs both are the punishing, bruiser, power type of backs. There is usually always yardage after initial contact. Looked to me like Lehman had some pretty good vision and decent speed too.

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Looked to me like Lehman had some pretty good vision and decent speed too. Oh he does.....but he's also big enough and strong enough he doesn't have a problem running right over the top of you if you're in his way.....or so...it appeared last week.

SweenyBulldog
10-21-2009, 01:18 PM
What was the score for the Sweeny and Needville game last year I don't remember.

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
What was the score for the Sweeny and Needville game last year I don't remember. The Chronicle says 55-36 Sweeny.

jaydog34
10-21-2009, 03:31 PM
that could be right i dont remember that far back but i think they did get the better of the jays last year. hopefully this year will be different. hopefully it will be the other way around this year.

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 03:35 PM
that could be right i dont remember that far back but i think they did get the better of the jays last year. hopefully this year will be different. hopefully it will be the other way around this year. I look for a different outcome this year......Needville is a totally different team, w/ a totally different attitude this year. Totally different backfield personnel wise, etc. Much more "rounded".

It is going to be a good one though no doubt!!

SweenyBulldog
10-21-2009, 03:38 PM
For some reason I don't think it will be a high score game, I think both defense's will show up friday night and it will be a low scoreing battle I still haven't really decided who I think will win. I want to see an overtime game!

Move The Chains
10-21-2009, 04:29 PM
The Chronicle says 55-36 Sweeny. Both teams have a WAY better D this year. Game will be MUCH lower scoring.

IHStangFan
10-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Both teams have a WAY better D this year. Game will be MUCH lower scoring. Agreed

SHSBulldog00
10-21-2009, 07:14 PM
I want to see an overtime game!

Not me!!! I want Sweeny to win and give their fans a break after last week. It will be close but I think penalties could have a huge effect on the outcome.

SHSBulldog00
10-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Here is the latest update on weather for Sweeny

10/22
Thu 78°
Showers and thunderstorms, some heavy; cloudy Feels Like: 81°
Winds: 8mph WSW 57° Feels like: 53°
Winds: 13mph N

10/23
Fri 72°
Less humid with sunshine and a few clouds Feels Like: 72°
Winds: 13mph N 53° Feels like: 51°
Winds: 8mph NNE

I'll give another update Friday before the game.

SweenyBulldog
10-22-2009, 06:45 AM
Not me!!! I want Sweeny to win and give their fans a break after last week. It will be close but I think penalties could have a huge effect on the outcome. I want them to win too...but it would still be good for them to get an overtime game because they just may be in a situation like that in the playoffs

Ex-Kat52
10-22-2009, 10:54 AM
The skies have opened up, and we should have good weather for tonights JV matchups. What is this that I hear about the Fresh. JV games getting moved to Comlumbia. Does it have any truth to it?

onsideanytime
10-22-2009, 11:07 AM
yes, heard it from a coach, the games have been moved to the Dub C, fresh @ 5, jv @630

jaydog34
10-22-2009, 11:15 AM
i just heard that as well, they are going to play at west columbia since west columbia will not play tonight due to brookshire royal not haveing a freshman or jv team. so they are moving to the turf since the weather and field conditions are so bad in needville. thats a shame that everybody in this district doesnt have the numbers to play three games each week.

SweenyBulldog
10-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Hmm if the games are going to be in West Cambodia I might go watch the teams play tonight.

mac77
10-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Hmm if the games are going to be in West Cambodia I might go watch the teams play tonight.

Hey! Watch it with that West Cambodia stuff! What happened to just callin us the River Rats, you, you Railroad Roach!

LOL!

SHSBulldog00
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Can we get an update on those games?

SHSBulldog00
10-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Weather change

The storms moved out at 12pm Thursday.

10/23
Fri 72°
Less humid with sunshine and a few clouds Feels Like: 75°
Winds: 10mph NNW 51° Feels like: 51°
Winds: 6mph N

Kickoff update on Friday.

SHSBulldog00
10-22-2009, 08:14 PM
I think it's going to be a close game between Needville and Sweeny :)

Ex-Kat52
10-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Freshmen: Needville 23
Sweeny 25

JV: Needville 23
Sweeny 20

Close hard faught games on both levels. Both games came down to the last drives.

carter08
10-23-2009, 02:14 AM
based on that, i expect needville to win 23-22

jaydog34
10-23-2009, 07:54 AM
sounds like the perfect set up to a great game tonight. i heard that the jr high games where close as well. i think one was a tie, one was decided by three points and then those tow games last night. wow who knows what we will get tonight. i cant wait till tonight it is going to be exciting. i can see the varisty game tonight going just like the jv game did last night. needvilel controlling the clock and defense making plays when they had to, but sweeny making big plays with thier speed. its going to be a war. congrats to the jv and freshman coaches last night two very well called and executed games.

SweenyBulldog
10-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by mac77
Hey! Watch it with that West Cambodia stuff! What happened to just callin us the River Rats, you, you Railroad Roach!

LOL! LOL! ah thats great first time I heard that one.

SHSBulldog00
10-23-2009, 04:09 PM
7pm Conditions

64 wind NNW 7 no rain

End of game

55 wind N 5 no rain

It is going to be a great night for football.

IHStangFan
10-23-2009, 04:24 PM
7pm Conditions

64 wind NNW 7 no rain

End of game

55 wind N 5 no rain

It is going to be a great night for football. Yes sir!!! Perfect weather!!

SHSBulldog00
10-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Hope you get there early.

SHSBulldog00
10-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Sweeny and Needville i bet sweeny is going to win:cool:;)

SHSBulldog00
10-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Final Score 24-21 Sweeny. Thats what I say. Go Dogs!!

SweenyBulldog
10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
WOOHOO Goodjob Sweeny and good game needville....Sweeny wins 28-6:D :D :D

SHSBulldog00
10-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Needville scored their TD late in the 4th when their WR pushed off, but the game was already decided.

Sweeny had 2 TD's called back due to holding penalties. The Dogs played extremely well. Good Luck to Needville for the remainder of the year.:)

IHStangFan
10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Hats off to Sweeny for a heck of a game. They are legit and will represent D26 well in the playoffs.

SHSBulldog00
10-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Needville controlled the ball for a lot of the game. Sweeny was able to score quickly and on one TO (fumbled KO). Hollis Woodard played well tonight filling in at corner for injured starter John Horton. The defense played well overall but he stepping in and starting tonight was important.Great Game DOGS!!!!

28-6

BRfalconfan
10-23-2009, 11:58 PM
35 0 brookshire royal makes playoffs first time in 3a

SHSBulldog00
10-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by BRfalconfan
35 0 brookshire royal makes playoffs first time in 3a

Congrats Brookshire! Hope you are ready for a Dog fight.

BRfalconfan
10-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Congrats Brookshire! Hope you are ready for a Dog fight.

Sweeny and royal for district champs never thought I would see the day

SHSBulldog00
10-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Glad to see Brookshire finally get over the hump. Exciting game next week in Sweeny.

Needville plays Stafford

Wharton and West Columbia

Good Luck to all six teams.

BRfalconfan
10-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Glad to see Brookshire finally get over the hump. Exciting game next week in Sweeny.

Needville plays Stafford

Wharton and West Columbia

Good Luck to all six teams.

So needville gets into the playoffs next week lmao
And yes should be a really good game

SHSBulldog00
10-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I think Needville will beat Stafford. I was a little suprised Wharton beat Stafford only 15-9:eek: .

SHSBulldog00
10-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Needville WILL be in the playoffs. Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

Move The Chains
10-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Yep. Looks like WC, Wharton, and Stafford are the odd men out. Now it's up to you top 3 to determine the order and that's all that's left pretty much.

A special congrats to Brookshire for making the playoffs for the first time in 3a.