PDA

View Full Version : Now I have seen it all!

GrTigers6
10-17-2009, 12:07 PM
In our game last night. Whitney was close to a first down After the referee called for a measurement the umpire looked at the down marker and then picked the ball up and moved it forward about a half a yard and then reset it and then went to get the chain. It was all for nothing because they were still short a couple inches but I couldn't believe I saw him do that.

Gobbla2001
10-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
In our game last night. Whitney was close to a first down and when the umpire set the ball. He stood up and looked at the down marker and then picked the ball up and moved it forward about a half a yard and then reset it and then went to get the chain. It was all for nothing because they were still short a couple inches but I couldn't believe I saw him do that.

yah, me and a few buddies called that one in from Buffalo Wild Wings...

GrTigers6
10-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Well that explains it :D

carter08
10-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
yah, me and a few buddies called that one in from Buffalo Wild Wings...

B-Dubs ftw.

carribean jerk wings, win.

Gobbla2001
10-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Had the Jerk a few visits ago... not bad... Asian Zing is pretty good too... usually get the Mango Habenero and Spicy Garlic, but got the Blazing (2nd hottest) last time...

love me some BWWs

TexMike
10-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Not saying this is what he was doing as I was not there to see, but are you sure he was looking at the sticks and not at the official who was likely standing in front of them? The umpire gets the spot from the 2 officials on the sidelines. He is supposed to put the ball wherever they indicate. Perhaps the one who had forward progress told the umpire to slide it up a bit as he saw the spot as wrong? Normally before the referee signals to have the chains brought in the ball is taken out to the foot of the official who has forward progress spot

GrTigers6
10-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
Not saying this is what he was doing as I was not there to see, but are you sure he was looking at the sticks and not at the official who was likely standing in front of them? The umpire gets the spot from the 2 officials on the sidelines. He is supposed to put the ball wherever they indicate. Perhaps the one who had forward progress told the umpire to slide it up a bit as he saw the spot as wrong? Normally before the referee signals to have the chains brought in the ball is taken out to the foot of the official who has forward progress spot That was my first thought but the side judge was already getting the chains hooked on the yard line. I cant imagine that he was really trying to help whitney but once that ball is placed it should be left alone.

Gobbla2001
10-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Not saying this is what he was doing as I was not there to see, but are you sure he was looking at the sticks and not at the official who was likely standing in front of them? The umpire gets the spot from the 2 officials on the sidelines. He is supposed to put the ball wherever they indicate. Perhaps the one who had forward progress told the umpire to slide it up a bit as he saw the spot as wrong? Normally before the referee signals to have the chains brought in the ball is taken out to the foot of the official who has forward progress spot

gotta love you some TexMike

carter08
10-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Had the Jerk a few visits ago... not bad... Asian Zing is pretty good too... usually get the Mango Habenero and Spicy Garlic, but got the Blazing (2nd hottest) last time...

love me some BWWs

my friend loves spicy garlic, even bought a whole bottle of it. not a big fan though, but i do like the asian zing and mango haberno. also like the honey bbq and hot bbq.

Gobbla2001
10-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by carter08
my friend loves spicy garlic, even bought a whole bottle of it. not a big fan though, but i do like the asian zing and mango haberno. also like the honey bbq and hot bbq.

don't think I could honey bbq, just not may flavor, but will have to try hot bbq... cool thing about BWW is you can just get 'em to bring you a sample of their sauce on a to go type lid thingy... gunna have to do that before I order next time... I'm usually three beers deep before I even order...

and you gots to get the potatoe wedge dealies with cajun spice on 'em... mmmmmmmmmm

El CuCUy
10-17-2009, 01:58 PM
That was my first thought but the side judge was already getting the chains hooked on the yard line. I cant imagine that he was really trying to help whitney but once that ball is placed it should be left alone. I don't believe this.... You get on here every week to bitch about some referee tryin to screw gr... I think your full of it

TexMike
10-17-2009, 02:13 PM
That was my first thought but the side judge was already getting the chains hooked on the yard line. I cant imagine that he was really trying to help whitney but once that ball is placed it should be left alone.

Not necessarily true. If the umpire "places" it but the flank believes it is incorrectly spotted, it should be moved. Was this inside or outside the hashes?

GrTigers6
10-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Not necessarily true. If the umpire "places" it but the flank believes it is incorrectly spotted, it should be moved. Was this inside or outside the hashes? it was in the middle.

GrTigers6
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by El CuCUy
I don't believe this.... You get on here every week to bitch about some referee tryin to screw gr... I think your full of it i have one complaint about the refs on here and that was week 0. and this is not a complaint, merely a statement looking for possible reasons for the move. As i said in the first message it didnt have any impact on the game. it was just something i havent seen in my many years of playing and watching football. and i would think that someone that states that abilene wylie and brownwood both suck would be the one who is "full of it".

TexMike
10-18-2009, 01:01 PM
it was in the middle.

The move makes more sense if ball was in the middle of the field. If the flanks do not come all the way in and give the umpire the spot, sometimes the umpire will place the ball and then the flank will adjust them. The flanks are supposed to come in hard when a spot is close to the line to gain and try to get in as close to where the ball is as possible without jumping over players to get there. I can understand why it would look ugly though to have the ball moved after the umpire puts it down and then steps away

GrTigers6
10-18-2009, 06:34 PM
The move makes more sense if ball was in the middle of the field. If the flanks do not come all the way in and give the umpire the spot, sometimes the umpire will place the ball and then the flank will adjust them. The flanks are supposed to come in hard when a spot is close to the line to gain and try to get in as close to where the ball is as possible without jumping over players to get there. I can understand why it would look ugly though to have the ball moved after the umpire puts it down and then steps away That makes sense. it just looked really odd to see that. especially after the referee called for a measurement. Now i can know whats going on if i ever see it again. :D