PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Lake @ Llano

ziggy29
10-17-2009, 10:18 AM
On paper this looks like a good one, and it's obviously a huge game in the District 8 playoff race.

CL is coming off of the biggest win in the history of their young program by far. Llano is at home and it's homecoming week.

Both teams are currently 2-1 in district play.

While neither team clinches a playoff spot with a win and neither team is eliminated with a loss, this game nevertheless has huge playoff implications for both teams, and the winner controls their own destiny for the remainder of the season while the loser may need considerable help.

clhsdad
10-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Going to have to be a homer on this and go with Canyon Lake. I think playing defense 2 weeks in a row against the slot t certainly is to our advantage.
Looking for another hard fought game unfortunately the three remaining games are all tough. Sounds like Fredericksburg stepped it up last night against Burnet so here on out nothing is easy. The winner of this game does take a hugh step in securing a playoff spot though.

STANG RED
10-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by clhsdad
Going to have to be a homer on this and go with Canyon Lake. I think playing defense 2 weeks in a row against the slot t certainly is to our advantage.
Looking for another hard fought game unfortunately the three remaining games are all tough. Sounds like Fredericksburg stepped it up last night against Burnet so here on out nothing is easy. The winner of this game does take a hugh step in securing a playoff spot though.

:devil: :hijacktd: :taunt:

shnydr SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!!!

And the week has only just begun.:D

wimbo_pro
10-17-2009, 11:38 AM
As much as I would want to predict otherwise, I say Llano puts in to CL in a walk away victory.

ziggy29
10-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
As much as I would want to predict otherwise, I say Llano puts in to CL in a walk away victory.
I suspect it may well depend on Llano's ability to stop the pass. The Jackets are a little banged up in the secondary now, and CL can throw the ball some. So I think it comes to the line play, specifically Llano's pass rush. If they can disrupt the tempo of the CL passing game, I think the Jackets take it. If they don't, it's going to be a struggle to overcome it.

lange4
10-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Llano is starting to get a lot of the injured players back and in shape. Our pass defense will be alright, made better by our ability to keep the ball for long periods of time. If you think Llano is only a running team you had better check with Burnet.

ziggy29
10-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by lange4
Llano is starting to get a lot of the injured players back and in shape. Our pass defense will be alright, made better by our ability to keep the ball for long periods of time.
The second half of the Taylor game is a blueprint for what they want to do defensively against a team like CL. Taylor started the game moving the ball in the air, but between adjustments and the time of possession leading to Llano's line wearing down Taylor's, the Ducks QB was on the run (and/or on his back) for the entire second half and it was one of the best halves of defense I've ever seen Llano play.

Glad to hear the team is healing. I suspect some of them may have been held back in the Ingram game as a precaution because they weren't likely to be needed, so an extra week may bring them back to 100%.

Originally posted by lange4
If you think Llano is only a running team you had better check with Burnet.

That is an added dimension this year -- and it needs to be, since the QB run isn't a big part of the offense this year compared to years past, so they need that added dimension to keep defenses honest as the QB run is usually a bigger part of Yeager's offenses.

clhsdad
10-17-2009, 05:04 PM
If you have to pass on us then that means our defense is doing the job. I read the passing game was 11/28 120 yards and 2 interceptions with Burnet. I am not sure but that probably meant you were behind most of the game trying to score quickly and not the type of game you wanted..

No doubt CL has to play their best to have a chance. Hopefully we can keep it close and at least have that chance.

ziggy29
10-17-2009, 05:19 PM
If you have to pass on us then that means our defense is doing the job. I read the passing game was 11/28 120 yards and 2 interceptions with Burnet. I am not sure but that probably meant you were behind most of the game trying to score quickly and not the type of game you wanted..
Llano led 10-0 over Burnet after a quarter.

clhsdad
10-17-2009, 05:43 PM
But you were down 17-10 at the half. My point is if you are throwing the ball it is because either your behind or your rushing game is being shut down. In games you have won you have thrown a total of 12 times in games you lost you have thrown the ball 48 times. These stats are from the San Antonio Express and may not be exact but are close.

What I am saying is that the passing game is not a game Llano wants and our defense goal will be to put you in that situation.
To do that then we have to shut down the ground game.

ziggy29
10-17-2009, 05:49 PM
What I am saying is that the passing game is not a game Llano wants and our defense goal will be to put you in that situation.
To do that then we have to shut down the ground game.
Can't argue with any of this.

wimbo_pro
10-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Who'da thunk it...Canyon Lake in the hunt with just 3 games to go. Too Cool!

ziggy29
10-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Hopefully, my last post above gets deleted -- I noticed I goofed 31 minutes after posting with a 30 minute edit window. CL has already played Ingram in fact... duh.

gold_33
10-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
[B If CL wins on Friday, they have Ingram after Llano, which would make them 4-1. ... [/B]

They already played Ingram, they have Burnet and Fredricksburg left. Anyways I believe CL wins this one, Llano runs a poor mans version of LH's offense, with a little bit more passing, but I think CL is better than people think and they will shut down Llano. CL's D line is good and i dont think Llano has enough to stop them.

44INAROW
10-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Ziggy - did I delete the right post? I hope so - if not - just PM what you want deleted. I might not see the PM until in the morning.. thanks

44inarow :)

ziggy29
10-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Ziggy - did I delete the right post? I hope so - if not - just PM what you want deleted. I might not see the PM until in the morning.. thanks
Yes, thanks. I have it when I look at my notes on what's left and screw them up anyway... :)

Red&White_9x5
10-19-2009, 08:09 AM
This should be a tough game Friday night. I have not seen Canyon Lake play, but they have obviously made HUGE strides in the last year. The outcome of their game last week against Liberty Hill proves that they are a determined, and very talented football team. This weeks game should have a playoff type feel to it

sandmaster
10-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
They already played Ingram, they have Burnet and Fredricksburg left. Anyways I believe CL wins this one, Llano runs a poor mans version of LH's offense, with a little bit more passing, but I think CL is better than people think and they will shut down Llano. CL's D line is good and i dont think Llano has enough to stop them.

You just hatin on Llano or something? I got Llano in this one, I'm saying its close through a quarter or so. Then Llano pulls away, Yeager has got the boys playing good football right now. Ziggy and Lange-hopefully the QB doesnt have to throw to much, means we would be running the ball right down CL throat! Good luck to both teams.

lange4
10-19-2009, 01:11 PM
All Llano needs to do is get right on 72's butt and ride him play after play. There is no stopping him. He is a beast.

wimbo_pro
10-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Come on canyon Lake...beat em good!!!

clhsdad
10-19-2009, 03:20 PM
We will give it our best shot gonna be a tough one and on the road too. And if we end up 1 point ahead as far as we are concerned that is a beating.

lv2937
10-19-2009, 05:54 PM
have 2 take CL in this one. Llano will not be able 2 stop their passing game. If Llano has 2 pass, it will turn out 2 be a cake walk for CL

sandmaster
10-19-2009, 08:29 PM
In this game it will be whoever controls the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. However Llano has gotten a lot better at covering the pass. They did hold burnet's qb to just a little more than 200 yards passing well below his season average. It will be a great game with huge playoff implications for both teams. I will take Llano by 10 in this one.

Red&White_9x5
10-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by lv2937
have 2 take CL in this one. Llano will not be able 2 stop their passing game. If Llano has 2 pass, it will turn out 2 be a cake walk for CL

I bet this is good game and I can't see it being a "cake walk" for either team. Canyon Lake seems to be much improved and Llano seems to be getting better every week so I anticipate the score of this game to be pretty close

Dawg Dad
10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Earlier in the year I would have said Llano. However, with cl's recent surge of confidence I may have to go with the Hawks. No, Jackets. Yea, Jackets.

lange4
10-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I have read on other threads how seeing the slot-t once or twice a year has been the the downfall of LH's awsome offense. I do not believe it is how often somebody sees an offense but how well it is executed. We follow LH week after week in district play, giving some teams 3 weeks to work on the slot-t because they also have an off week before LH. So by some peoples theories Llano should not win very many games given they also say we run a poor man's version of LH's offense.

clhsdad
10-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Anyone have any idea on the condition of the field. I imagine they may be just a little soggy on game night.

Red&White_9x5
10-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I am betting it is pretty soggy. They got a ton of rain in that area overnight. This could be a mud bowl

lange4
10-22-2009, 12:15 PM
I live about .5 of a mile from field and recieved 2.20 of rain last night. The field ought to hold up well. Sun is shining on it right now.

ziggy29
10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Llano got shredded pretty badly by repeated quick outs to the receivers, particularly without much pass rush.

And almost every time they kicked off, they kicked off deep to someone who busted a huge wedge in the middle of the field and ran well into Llano territory. At some point I think considering a pooch kick might have worthwhile.

And three straight fumbles on three first half possessions... that's a lot to overcome. I think most of CL's scoring drives started in Llano territory between the kickoff returns and the fumbles.

Daddy D 11
10-23-2009, 10:25 PM
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

When someone is consistently hitting the quick out to the wide receiver, you may want to think about not playing so soft on the corners and taking it away a bit.

When your deep kickoffs are consistently busted for huge returns straight up the gut into your territory, you may want to think about a pooch kick to an up man or changing how you approach the return team.

When you don't think about those things and you keep doing the same things that hadn't been working all game, when you fumble on three straight possessions in the first half (leading directly to 14 points) and you get no pass rush on a prolific passing team, you lose 48-27.

When you take shots at your coaching staff.. it looks bad on you

ziggy29
10-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
When you take shots at your coaching staff.. it looks bad on you
Yeah, I went back and toned it down a bit, but the lack of adjustments was puzzling and frustrating.

clhsdad
10-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Llano got shredded pretty badly by repeated quick outs to the receivers, particularly without much pass rush.

And almost every time they kicked off, they kicked off deep to someone who busted a huge wedge in the middle of the field and ran well into Llano territory. At some point I think considering a pooch kick might have worthwhile.

And three straight fumbles on three first half possessions... that's a lot to overcome. I think most of CL's scoring drives started in Llano territory between the kickoff returns and the fumbles.

Congratulatons HAWKS on a great win!!!!!

wimbo_pro
10-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Wow!! This is excellent!! CL is in the hunt bigtime!! Cant wait to see how this plays out.

ziggy29
10-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Wow!! This is excellent!! CL is in the hunt bigtime!! Cant wait to see how this plays out.
They are more than in the hunt. They have to be favored to make it in at this point.

They had all the answers; I was really impressed. They managed to dictate the tempo in a way that forced Llano to play CL's game and play right into the Hawks' strengths. To some degree it looked like a lack of adjustments by the Jackets, and it probably was -- but on the few times I saw Llano adjust, they seemed to have another answer.

That was what I was most afraid of headed into the game; that Llano's defense couldn't solve the CL short passing game and that they wouldn't find the pass rush I thought they would need to win.

I didn't expect to see what their kickoff return team was consistently doing, though. I'm not sure why Llano didn't start pooch kicking to an up man after being burned by it a number of times earlier. Every time the Jackets started got within a TD and tried to take momentum back, the Hawks would rip off another big kickoff return into Llano territory and took the wind out.

And the way those CL kids were constantly aware of trying to pry the football out on defense -- on three straight possessions they did it, and after that Llano took care of the ball, but only after giving up 14 quick points on those turnovers.

If CL takes care of Fredericksburg next week, it's hard for me to build a scenario where they'd miss the playoffs even if they fell to Burnet in Week 10. I think this is a team that is getting better and more confident every week, and their rapid maturation is phenomenal.

Red&White_9x5
10-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Wow, reading your remarks tells me the simple answer to Llano's problems. Ziggy, you need to go to college, get your degree, and join the coaching staff. If they had you on staff, Canyon Lake wouldn't have completed a pass all night, would have never gained a yard on their special teams, and Llano would have never fumbled. Seriously, show some class, with 16,17, and 18 yr old kids anything can happen on any given Friday night.

This was only my second time to see Llano play live this year. I agree that they put themselves in a hole early with the turnovers, that would kill any team. And as much as I would agree with you about some things they didn't do well, I can't take anything away from a second year program that has obviously made a lot of strides. This was my first time to see CL an I was impressed. The had size, an accurate qb, and receivers with great hands. There may have been too much cushion at times, but I disagree about the pass rush Ziggy. That #8 was pretty quick with the release which would make it hard for anyone to get to him. Overall CL played a great game. Best of luck to them the rest of the way. And best of luck to Llano as well, hopefully they can rebound and put together two good weeks.

District 8-3A is going to be a wild finish

lange4
10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree, the pass rush was not the problem. CL qb never held the ball very long at all. Just about as soon as it hit his hands it was out.

SHSBulldog00
10-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't know much about CL so I'll go with Llano.

clhsdad
10-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Don't know much about CL so I'll go with Llano.

I am willing to give a few points if you would care to make a little side wager.

lange4
10-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Give him 20 points. Maybe he'll take it.