PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City also ready for Girls Softball

Old Cardinal
01-14-2003, 08:30 PM
I understand that the BC boys are ranked #7 to start the 3A season in baseball...The girls softball should be extremely competitive this year. Last season they again made a round or two in the playoffs with an infield that, with the exception on one great catcher(Jessica LeMoine), could not drive a car, by themselves. The pitching situation could not be better. Two-time All-Stater Laura Gremillion(FR& SOPH year)could not play last year because of a back injury. Laura is back in great form for her Senior year. That great bat was also missed last year. The interesting thing is that Miss M. Godwin, a freshman last year, stepped up and pitched them with poise and determination. With a good Soph. coupled with good Senior, BC has depth to spare, on the mound. Laura Gremillion, was recruited already by a great Softball program in New York-after they saw several performances at National level AFA/ASA Tournaments. BC has a new Coach this year and she actually played some College Softball! I kind of think they may be ready to make a big statement after doing real will for a number of years in the playoffs....TELL US ABOUT YOUR H.S. SOFTBALL PROGRAM?

Chris Hart
01-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Old Card, I didn't realize that girls played sports too. :D :D :D

greendog fan
01-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Chris Hart:
Old Card, I didn't realize that girls played sports too. :D :D :D Chris, dont get me started on ladies in sports. Ilove girls softball. All the ladies that are playing this year for Burnet, I either coached them or umpired their games. Burnet has a good chance to go a couple of rounds in the playoffs this year.

Old Cardinal
01-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi Chris, I really love girls softball. It takes real dedication to pitch 150+ balls every other day YEAR ROUND. Its called "muscle memory". I have a grandaughter that at 12 years of age, throws her drop ball at 53 mph and her fast ball at 57 mph. That's along with 4 other difficult pitches. Most folks have no idea the dedication that it takes, for many many years to pitch for teams like West, Splendora, Bridge City, Sweeny, Kelly, Van are some of the others. Chris go out and watch an ASA/AFA tournament of select ball clubs, and I think you will be quite impressed with this growing phenomenon.

Chris Hart
01-15-2003, 11:42 PM
Old Card, yes I was only kidding, I too enjoy the girls softball. I was just going to pick at you a little since I haven't got to reply to any of your posts lately. I watch some of the college softball on TV, and some of them pitchers are simply amazing. Your grandaughter sounds awesome for her age, I hope to watch her also oneday.

Greendog fan, I know the Burnet girls are pretty good lately too. I keep up with them through the local paper, I haven't ever went and watched em yet though. I have just always teased others about girls sports, because all I have had are boys. I have 3 boys of my own, but I have recently remarried and now have a 6 year old stepdaughter who is deaf and already extremely athletic. I hope to watch her play softball and other sports for the lady dawgs someday soon.

<small>[ January 15, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

Old Cardinal
01-16-2003, 01:39 PM
Chris, If your stepdaughter develops an interest in pitching, get her to a good pitching Coach, that teaches correct ergo and bio-dynamic techniques. Girls have a different center of gravity and can be mis-taught- to pitch like men softball pitchers, using the small of the back muscles only. They then tend to develop only one side of the lower back, that can turn into a nightmare later on. Read up on throwing inside curves (to bunters), circle slowball, torqueing sliders, etc: With your interest in sports, I would predict that you end up an "A" ball select team Coach. If you look at the teams that progress in HS, it is directly proportional to the number of select team players on the roster.

<small>[ January 16, 2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
01-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Having looked over the field, I think the State Championship will be decided this year between Splendora and Bridge City. They have two of the best Pitchers in year round Select ball competition in the USA. It's a matter of who can get the hits; that will win that ballgame! Orangefield has a very good team this year-they were young and tough last year.