PDA

View Full Version : Region IV, Week 7 Preview

R4Editor
10-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Alrightly Region IV football fans, we are heading into crunch time all around the region with every district playing games with huge impact on determining champions and post-season participants.

District 25
La Grange (1-0) (6-0)
Sealy (1-0) (6-0)
Smithville (1-0) (5-1)
Giddings (0-1) (5-1)
Columbus (0-1) (4-2)
Bellville (0-1) (4-2)

D25 continues to bring forward exciting match-ups each week. With GOTW for Region 4 Giddings hosting Bellville there will be two excellent teams with their backs against the wall hoping to avoid an 0-2 start in this competitive district. A determined Smithville is on a winning roll and wants nothing more than to knock off the undefeated La Grange Leopards in their stadium. Sealy travels to Columbus to try to extend their undefeated streak to 7-0.

Bellville @ Giddings
Bellville comes off a very disappointing loss to La Grange and now must face Giddings, a team smarting from a spanking by Sealy. Giddings will be on fire and unless the Brahmas can mount an effective offense they will be in trouble. Giddings wins this one by a couple TDs.

Sealy @ Columbus
Columbus will be looking to ambush the Sealy Tigers in their home stadium after getting thrashed by Smithville last week. Sealy may be going in high from their convincing win over highly ranked Giddings and could be falling into a trap game. That being said we think Columbus will not keep up with the high scoring Sealy offense and this one goes to the Sealy Tigers by 2 or 3 TDs.

La Grange @ Smithville (D25 upset special)
Smithville hosts La Grange in what amounts to their biggest rivalry match of the season. Smithville has been on a huge roll pounding their last three opponents into mud holes on the 50 yard line. If the Leps amble into Tiger Stadium basking in the glory of their narrow win over Bellville and looking ahead to the Giddings game they will get their hats handed to them. Smithville has to have the advantage here with home field, momentum and psychological edge. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain and will "play up" to La Grange. We think they will win and it will not be an upset. Smithville by 2 tds.

District 26
Needville (1-0) (5-1)
Sweeny (1-0) (4-2)
Brookshire Royal (1-0) (2-4)
Stafford (0-1) (5-1)
West Columbia (0-1) (1-4)
Wharton (0-1) (0-5)

Stats

Team Offense AVG

Brookshire Royal 340.7
Sweeny 309.2
Needville 302.0
West Columbia 273.5
Stafford 257.7
Wharton 256.4

Team Defense AVG

Needville 206.2
Sweeny 214.5
Stafford 233.7
Wharton 275.6
West Columbia 295.2
Brookshire Royal 295.7

Brookshire Royal @ Stafford
Brookshire Royal hasn't overpowered opponents yet and may be in for a fight at Stafford against a team that will need to refocus after last week. Brookshire will get an early lead and hold off a tough Spartan squad which boasts 31 seniors.
Prediction: Brookshire Royal

Sweeny @ West Columbia
Sweeny comes in on a high after a surprising whooping of Stafford. Sweeny will have to keep a level head and bring the same type of intensity to West Columbia. The Roughnecks will need a bend not break mentality on defense. On offense West Columbia will lean on QB Daymond Lewis and his athletic abilities. West Columbia will tire and depth will become a factor.
Prediction: Sweeny

Wharton @ Needville
Wharton played Brookshire tough last week and will have to bring it again against Needville. Needville was able to capitalize on West Columbia TO's and continued to show a stingy D. Wharton has a lack of depth and it will show in Needville.
Prediction: Needville

District 27
La Vernia (1-0) (4-2)
Somerset (1-0) (5-1)
Luling (1-0) (2-4)
Sam Houston (0-1) (4-2)
Poteet (0-1) (3-2)
Marion (0-1) (1-5)

La Vernia @ Somerset
The La Vernia Bears are the class of D27 and although Somerset will keep it close for 3 quarters we expect the Bears to pull away late.
LV by 14

Poteet @ Luling
The Luling Eagles have a lot of fans right now and we are among them. Not only that, they’ve won 2 of their last 3 and we think the Eagles make it 3 of 4.
Luling by 4

Marion @ Sam Houston
SH rolls because they’re good and Marion is... struggling.
SH by 30

District 28
Cuero (1-0) (6-0)
Edna (1-0) (4-1)
Palacios (1-0) (3-3)
Yoakum (0-1) (2-4)
Gonzales (0-1) (1-5)
Goliad (0-1) (0-6)

Yoakum @ Edna
Last week Yoakum had Cuero on the ropes for three quarters until giving up 3 scores in the 4th. Edna dominated Gonzales, scoring 40 in the 1st half and holding the Apache O to less than 60 yards. If Yoakum matches the effort they gave last week, they should win, but that is hard to do and these Cowboys are getting better each week. We think Edna pulls out a very close game.
Edna by 3

Palacios @ Cuero
The Sharks have surprised some folks by posting 3 wins so far and we are impressed with the competitiveness Palacios brings to each contest. But, this is Cuero, on their homecoming, and the Sharks are hopelessly overmatched.
Cuero by 40

Gonzales @ Goliad
Don’t really know what to say about these teams. We expected Gonzales to be improved over last year, but they’re not. Goliad returned quite a few players; especially linemen and we thought they’d be fighting for a playoff spot. Instead, both teams seem to be in disarray. Gonzales will have the best player on the field in WR Burton and we think he will make the difference.
Gonzales by 9

District 29
Hondo (3-0) (5-1)
Pearsall (2-0) (6-0)
Bandera (2-1) (5-2)
Devine (1-1) (4-2)
Lytle (0-2) (2-4)
Crystal City (0-3) (1-6)
Carrizo Springs (0-3) (2-5)

Pearsall @ Hondo
This is the big one in D29. The last two weeks Pearsall has been the underdog but both times we picked them to win. This week they run into the most underrated team in Region IV, the Hondo Owls.
Hondo by 10

Devine @ Bandera
A must win for both teams as neither can afford their 2nd loss so early in the district season as both have Hondo remaining. Bandera has been hit hard by injury and if they had just a few more healthy players we'd feel good about picking them, but Devine looks to be in better shape this week. Devine wins in a very hard fount game.
Devine by 2

Crystal City @ Lytle
Lytle by 10

District 31
Sinton (3-0) (6-0)
Robstown 3-0 (4-2)
Ingleside (2-1) (5-1)
Mathis (2-1) (3-3)
Orange Grove (1-2) (2-4)
West Oso (1-2) (2-4)
Aransas Pass (0-3) (0-6)
Falfurrias (0-3) (0-6)

(D31 upset special)
Sinton @ Robstown - After Friday night one team will be atop the district standings. Sinton is coming off a dramatic comeback in Mathis and Robstown cruised to an easy victory over Aransas Pass. This will be a barn burner and we think Robstown at home will be good for a 2 pt victory over the Pirates.

Aransas Pass @ Falfurrias - We predict AP may have a slow start, but will eventually beat the Jersies. AP by 7

Orange Grove @ Ingleside - Ingleside got their footing back after a week 1 OT loss to Mathis and cruise this week. Ingleside by 14

Mathis @ West Oso - Oso went toe to toe with Robstown, got beat like a drum against Ingleside and beat Orange Grove. Which Oso team shows up? We like the intensity Mathis is playing with, even in an away game. Mathis by 7

District 32
Lyford (3-0) (6-0)
Raymondville (2-1) (4-2)
Hidalgo (2-1) (3-3)
Rio Hondo (2-1) (2-4)
Zapata (2-1) (2-4)
La Feria (1-2) (2-4)
Port Isabel (0-3) (2-4)
Progresso (0-3) (1-5)

Hidalgo @ Rio Hondo
This is a tough pick, and there are always tough picks in this district. We like Hidalgo.
Hidalgo by 3

Raymondville @ Zapata
The Bearkats are starting to look good and we think they continue to improve their record.
Raymondville by 15

Progresso @ Lyford
Lyford cruises in this one.
Lyford by 20

Port Isabel @ La Feria
Tarpons put one in the win column this week.
PI by 6

Crasher
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Who considers 32-18 playing a team "tough"?? just a a quick poll I know the region IV coordinator does...

R4Editor
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Crasher
Who considers 32-18 playing a team "tough"?? just a a quick poll I know the region IV coordinator does...

That's it, that's all you've got? Nice input.

44INAROW
10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Nice job Reg IV Editor -

Move The Chains
10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Certainly not a beat down. I'd say that's hanging in there and atleast showing some fight. Although a convincing win.

pirate4state
10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
Certainly not a beat down. I'd say that's hanging in there and atleast showing some fight. Although a convincing win. Who are yall talking about? :confused:

:clap: Good read R4E!

44INAROW
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Who are yall talking about? :confused:

:clap: Good read R4E!
I couldn't figure it out either P4S. :confused: Figures though, Reg IV Editor spends alot of time each week compiling the info and breaking it down into "readable" form and each week, someone has a smart*** comment. I am not saying everyone has to agree with everything Reg IV Editor says (I don't think he would say that either) but there is a nice way to disagree and then there's a jerk way to do it.

R4Editor
10-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Im sure he's talking about the D26 game Brookshire vs Wharton won by BR 32-18...but I haven't a clue what his point is.

44, your right, I'd never expect everyone to agree with what we put up. We have people helping with just about every district and it's a collection of opinions...with the goal of getting at least some ink about every game each week.

Crasher
10-15-2009, 02:55 PM
why are people using the word JERK way of disagreeing? i just asked if anyone would consider 32-18 playing a team "tough". I even put that it was just a quick poll. I thought Wharton did play BR tough. Thats why I asked the question because some of my co workers disagreed with me on the issue.

Crasher
10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I couldn't figure it out either P4S. :confused: Figures though, Reg IV Editor spends alot of time each week compiling the info and breaking it down into "readable" form and each week, someone has a smart*** comment. I am not saying everyone has to agree with everything Reg IV Editor says (I don't think he would say that either) but there is a nice way to disagree and then there's a jerk way to do it.

This is the post i am referring to. I dont see how my comment was a smart *** comment. just and honest question 44 IN A ROW

Crasher
10-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by R4Editor
That's it, that's all you've got? Nice input.

It would seem that I dont have the mental prowess to converse on this board. I just got put down because I inquired as to whether or not anyone agreed with Region 4 Editor that 32-18 was playing a team tough. I agreed that it was but some of my coworkers were disagreeing so i decided to hear the thoughts of the people on the board.

Maybe yall should drink some decaf.

44INAROW
10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
It would seem that I dont have the mental prowess to converse on this board. I just got put down because I inquired as to whether or not anyone agreed with Region 4 Editor that 32-18 was playing a team tough. I agreed that it was but some of my coworkers were disagreeing so i decided to hear the thoughts of the people on the board.

Maybe yall should drink some decaf.

I guess things are all left up to interpretation. By the way - I was making a broad and general comment. If you thought it pertained to you totally, I am sorry. I just think after someone takes the time and effort to do a nice summary (no matter what Region) it would be nice to say something nice, 1st rattle out of the box, instead of questioning them. That's all. That is also the problem with reading comments instead of hearing a person's tone of voice. Typed words lose somthing in the "translation" sometimes.

GiddingsFan
10-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Great job r4editor

Move The Chains
10-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Maybe yall should drink some decaf. I answered the question straight up. Go me! :clap: :cool:

Crasher
10-15-2009, 03:35 PM
yes move the chains.. you just answered.thank you. thats why i was wondering where all the "jerk" and smart *** stuff started.

Third
10-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Hard to say, coulda been 25-18 and a late score made it 32-18 but it also coulda been 32-0 or 32-6 and some garbage time TDs made it look respectable.

R4Editor
10-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Crasher,
welcome to the party...sorry if I missed your meaning...I'm slow so it's always better to give me a little more info so I can grasp what your saying.
In fact, Wharton did play BR tough and they're going to play Needville tough as well. Always beware a senior laden team that has underperformed. Every once in a while they get mad.

sinton66
10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
yes move the chains.. you just answered.thank you. thats why i was wondering where all the "jerk" and smart *** stuff started.

Thank God there are never any Sinton threads for you to do that on.:D

Move The Chains
10-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Thank God there are never any Sinton threads for you to do that on.:D I don't care about Sinton.

Pancho tells me that it's futbol y'all play down South, not football. And I don't concern myself with soccer. :hand:

Gobbla2001
10-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Last week Yoakum had Cuero on the ropes for three quarters until giving up 3 scores in the 4th.

the preview was great, minus this line...

it should read: "Last week Yoakum had Cuero on the ropes for three quarters until the Gobblers pulled their heads out of their asses and scored 3 scores in the 4th"

seriously, that's a lot of work you've done... great job!

SintonFan
10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Move The Chains
I don't care about Sinton.

Pancho tells me that it's futbol y'all play down South, not football. And I don't concern myself with soccer. :hand:

lol
Don't worry about ole Pancho, he'll tell you that's his name because of Pancho Villa but everyone knows it's because of Pancho's Mexican Buffet.;)

SHSBulldog00
10-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey R4Editor it looks really nice. Keep up the good work!:D :clap:

sotex
10-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Great job R4Editor! I am amazed each week at the work you obviously put in.

pirate4state
10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Caller Times picking us to lose, R4E picking us to lose, bunch of Mustang fans picking us to lose :D

That just means we'll win BIG!!! :cheerl:

mac77
10-15-2009, 09:31 PM
A Needville was able to capitalize on West Columbia TO's and continued to show a stingy D.

That's TO. We had one interception and it really didn't hurt us. Needville is a solid football team that just plain whipped us up front. It would have been nice to have the TO excuse but it wasn't the case!

Pudlugger
10-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Weather is going to be cool and clear tonight. Great for good football. There are plenty of great match ups to follow in R4 this week. After tonight we will see which teams are going to rise to the top of their districts.

44INAROW
10-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Weather is really nice today. Assume it will be that way tonight. Cool. I can't wait. Since it's kinda slow today - here is the article from the Bay City paper about the Palacios vs Cuero game.

Link (http://baycitytribune.com/story.lasso?ewcd=20a89dbea0a04432)

bd62
10-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Excellent job. I enjoy reading your analysis each week.

Pudlugger
10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Maybe R4editor will change the Smithville /LG prediction now that the Leps have received their cake from Smithville.:eek: :foul:

pirate4state
10-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Maybe R4editor will change the Smithville /LG prediction now that the Leps have received their cake from Smithville.:eek: :foul: Cake? What cake? Sounds like a story waiting to be told. :1popcorn:

R4Editor
10-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Maybe R4editor will change the Smithville /LG prediction now that the Leps have received their cake from Smithville.:eek: :foul:

Mr. Pud,
We like cake, so scrape the icing off if it offends you, thank them for the gift and eat it.
Or, keep it until after the game, and if you win, offer to share a bite.

Pudlugger
10-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Smithville? Piece of cake.:D