PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having trouble with squirrels?

HotDawg89
01-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Totally off the sports topic, I know... some of you may have read in the Pi$$ed off topic that I have a reason to be upset with a squirrel.

The thing was evil to begin with. I should have guessed it was up to no good. Everytime I would head out to the van, it would snarl at me...it even chased a couple of people and hissed. We thought for a while it was rabid- but the thing wouldn't die. We just decided she was a *it*h.

Then, one day- the air conditioner wouldn't work- the next day, the horn quit blowing, and pretty soon, no heater. So I make an appointment to have it serviced- (still under warranty) and I get this call, telling me that I should contact my home-owners insurance- that my warranty wouldn't cover it. The service "lady" says, "Well, you see, it isn't a manufacturer's default. It seems a squirrel got up inside, and has made a nest. The nest is full of babies. In the meantime, it has chewed through your wiring harness. You'll need to come and take a look, and we'll give you pictures for the insurance company. Oh, and when you come- you might want to bring a b.b. gun- cause this is one really pissed off squirrel."

The squirrel thought she was mad...

turbostud
01-31-2003, 07:23 PM
HotDawg, I have problems with ground squirrels. They dig huge craters in my yard that I step in and are hell on my lawn mower. My cat catches one every now and then but they are real smart and fast. Whenever I fill in the craters with dirt they tunnel out. I havent seen any in a while so I guess they are hibernating or have moved on. They sell poison peanuts at Home Depot but I am afraid my cat might get into the peanuts. My 10 year old tries to pick em off with his pellet gun but no luck yet.

<small>[ January 31, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: turbostud ]</small>

Brahma73
02-01-2003, 10:47 PM
turbostud:
HotDawg, I have problems with ground squirrels. They dig huge craters in my yard that I step in and are hell on my lawn mower. My cat catches one every now and then but they are real smart and fast. Whenever I fill in the craters with dirt they tunnel out. I havent seen any in a while so I guess they are hibernating or have moved on. They sell poison peanuts at Home Depot but I am afraid my cat might get into the peanuts. My 10 year old tries to pick em off with his pellet gun but no luck yet.Hey Stud, It's not likely your cat will eat the peanuts, especially if you put them in the furrows. Most cats just aren't into nuts. However, if a squirrel injests the things and dies, and you cat eats the squirrel, the poison IS still active and can nuke you puddy. (I'm in the business of this stuff, so know this is legit!) wink
I've heard some of the "sonar" electronic gadgets work well for driving them away, but I personally have not tried them. Might p!$$ off your cats. Stay away from poisons, though. Good luck. :)

turbostud
02-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Brahma73, are you a vet?

j_dog
02-05-2003, 12:17 AM
The only trouble I have with squirrels is that there are not enough of them at supper time! I like the fox squirrels best!

<small>[ February 04, 2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: j_dog ]</small>

Brahma73
02-05-2003, 11:25 PM
turbostud:
Brahma73, are you a vet?No, but I play one on TV. LOL Actually I am wink