PDA

View Full Version : Wylie vs. Sweetwater

Animal02
09-22-2002, 04:25 AM
Lets hear everyone's thoughts on this game..

wildstangs
09-22-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Animal02:

Personally I cant wait. Both teams look to me to be pretty much even. I am glad it is on our turf.

sinton66
09-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Although Data Poll has A.W. by +7.5, this is one of those "storied" rivalrys, that the polls can't predict very well. I really can't make up my mind on this one. It's bound to be very competitive. Best of luck to both teams for an injury free game.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited September 22, 2002).]

Ranger Mom
09-22-2002, 11:34 AM
I am an "underdog" kinda girl, so I am going with Sweetwater. Mainly because I don't know squat about AW and the fact that Wildstangs has always been a nice poster, even when it was his hometeam VS my hometeam. GO MUSTANGS!!
Okay, Wildstangs, now it's your turn to back Greenwood!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

wildstangs
09-22-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom:
I am an "underdog" kinda girl, so I am going with Sweetwater. Mainly because I don't know squat about AW and the fact that Wildstangs has always been a nice poster, even when it was his hometeam VS my hometeam. GO MUSTANGS!!
Okay, Wildstangs, now it's your turn to back Greenwood!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

After the thrashing Greenwood gave Snyder, I am a lifetime fan of Greenwood. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif Except of course against my mustangs!

Ranger Mom
09-22-2002, 12:01 PM
Hey, that's OK, I understand. You've seen both teams play, what is your opinion?? Does Greenwood have a fighting chance?? I still don't think the game between Greenwood and Sweetwater showed either team's strengths. I really believe the 1.25 hour delay and the rain through the first half, made it a different ballgame than it would have been otherwise. Would we still have pulled out with the win - who knows??
Anyway, in my opinion, Sweetwater was a much better team than Snyder, from 7th grade all the way up!! Do ya'll play Friday night in Sweetwater?? If so, my husband and I were looking for a game to see since we don't play til Saturday, we may have to make the trip to Sweetwater!

wildstangs
09-22-2002, 12:13 PM
Hey, that's OK, I understand. You've seen both teams play, what is your opinion?? Does Greenwood have a fighting chance?? I still don't think the game between Greenwood and Sweetwater showed either team's strengths. I really believe the 1.25 hour delay and the rain through the first half, made it a different ballgame than it would have been otherwise. Would we still have pulled out with the win - who knows??
Anyway, in my opinion, Sweetwater was a much better team than Snyder, from 7th grade all the way up!! Do ya'll play Friday night in Sweetwater?? If so, my husband and I were looking for a game to see since we don't play til Saturday, we may have to make the trip to Sweetwater!

The Snyder game is not until October 11th, in Snyder. We have Wylie this week. I really think Greenwood has a good chance. I know our guys were really fired up since it was homecoming and they had been doubted all week by most people. As long as Greenwood doesnt get to cocky and use the "well we beat Sweetwater and Sweetwater beat them" logic then the Rangers should make a great game of it. I also dont think we saw both teams strengths that night in Greenwood. I still dont think I wanna play yall in the playoffs though. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Ranger Mom
09-22-2002, 01:50 PM
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I tend to jump from topic to topic. Ya'll play Abilene Wylie this Friday....right?? Is it in Sweetwater?? If so, I would like to see that one.

whsfan
09-22-2002, 09:36 PM
The Wylie & Sweetwater matchup last year was excellent. The game this year should be every bit as much fun. My prediction is that Wylie comes out on top. We're all looking forward to seeing the new turf.

Animal02
09-22-2002, 11:09 PM
personally i think that wylie will beat the crap out of sweetwater!!

wildstangs
09-22-2002, 11:23 PM
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I tend to jump from topic to topic. Ya'll play Abilene Wylie this Friday....right?? Is it in Sweetwater?? If so, I would like to see that one.

Yes Ma'am its in Sweetwater. Come on out and support the Stangs!

wildstangs
09-22-2002, 11:25 PM
personally i think that wylie will beat the crap out of sweetwater!!

I will bet you money its not a blow out. Cant say I know the winner, but it wont be a blow out.

Animal02
09-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs:
I will bet you money its not a blow out. Cant say I know the winner, but it wont be a blow out.i guess we will find out come friday night!

VWG
09-23-2002, 10:16 AM
C'mon fellas... let's make this simple.
If Wylie beats Sweetwater on their home field it will be because of containing Carillo. The Mustangs are a "one horse team". I am not trying to take anything away from Sweetwater but Carillo is so valuable to them. I would love to see stats on the percentage of offense that revolves around Carillo.

pero chato
09-23-2002, 12:24 PM
There is no way this will be a blowout. If you look at common opponents, Wylie may have a slight edge. Factor in home field advantage and it evens out. Should be a good game, and even more importantly, a good warm up before district for both teams.

Animal02
09-23-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by pero chato:
There is no way this will be a blowout. If you look at common opponents, Wylie may have a slight edge. Factor in home field advantage and it evens out. Should be a good game, and even more importantly, a good warm up before district for both teams.in my opinion sweetwater will not have any advantage playing at home...wylie will have just as many if not more at the game to support them than sweetwater..

GATORADE
09-23-2002, 07:01 PM
In no way will this be a blowout. This game will be a definite one to watch. Both teams have there strong and weak points. I see this as being a hard fought win for either side. Good luck to the stangs this Friday. We Wylie fans are sure ready for the game in the bowl.

hsguru
09-23-2002, 08:08 PM
I have to agree that Sweetwater is pretty much a one man team. Carrillo is selfish and if he would spread the wealth a little more they might be a better squad. It ought to be a great battle though.
I also have to disagree about this being a storied rivalry. It has only been played recently and Sweetwater has yet to win a game. They did keep last years close though.

wildstangs
09-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by hsguru:
I have to agree that Sweetwater is pretty much a one man team. Carrillo is selfish and if he would spread the wealth a little more they might be a better squad. It ought to be a great battle though.
I also have to disagree about this being a storied rivalry. It has only been played recently and Sweetwater has yet to win a game. They did keep last years close though.

Carillo is not selfish. He is the best player we have, why would you not want him to have the ball? Seems to me like he gets the job done pretty well also.

GATORADE
09-23-2002, 09:22 PM
I agree Wildstangs. Carillo is a fine athlete who has incredible speed. I would imagine Wylie is working on containing him during practices this week. I just hope they have someone on scout team O that can imitate him somewhat at least.

whsfan
09-23-2002, 09:34 PM
I think Wylie has the team to contain Mr. Carrillo. They just have to take away the inside game first. That forces him to try and make things happen outside on his own. Wylie just needs to play good hard nosed defense, move the ball on offense, and don't fumble the ball. The advantage on speed goes to Wylie.

vet93
09-24-2002, 10:41 AM
I know that we have had some discussion on this before and we can certainly disagree and be friends. I agree with Hsguru on this one. Granted, Carillo is the best offensive player on the field but, as I have said before, the greatness of an option qb is his ability to elevate the players around him. By using himself as a decoy (not all of the time but more) and setting up the defense he will give himself that many more opportunities. This is especially important when playing a team with a good defense. Most good defenses can slow down a one man team enough to limit his ability to control the game. They have a much more difficult time when the ball is distributed to others. I think of the great option teams of OU. The qb was the playmaker but he knew how and when to pitch or hand the ball off so that his backfield had the best chance to succeed. Currently, when it is crunch time everybody knows that Carillo is going to run the ball. Amazingly he is still very successful due to his ability. But what if he had the defense off balance so that they had no idea who was going to get the ball. They could no longer key solely on Carillo and would have to defend the whole field. Squires is a good enough back to rack up some yards if Carillo will suck the defense in more. This is just my opinion and I haven't had the pleasure of watching the Mustangs this year, but I really think that it would help. By the way...I think that the game is too close to call but I will give Sweetwater the edge by a field goal because they are playing at home.

Originally posted by wildstangs:
Carillo is not selfish. He is the best player we have, why would you not want him to have the ball? Seems to me like he gets the job done pretty well also.

Animal02
09-25-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by vet93:
I know that we have had some discussion on this before and we can certainly disagree and be friends. I agree with Hsguru on this one. Granted, Carillo is the best offensive player on the field but, as I have said before, the greatness of an option qb is his ability to elevate the players around him. By using himself as a decoy (not all of the time but more) and setting up the defense he will give himself that many more opportunities. This is especially important when playing a team with a good defense. Most good defenses can slow down a one man team enough to limit his ability to control the game. They have a much more difficult time when the ball is distributed to others. I think of the great option teams of OU. The qb was the playmaker but he knew how and when to pitch or hand the ball off so that his backfield had the best chance to succeed. Currently, when it is crunch time everybody knows that Carillo is going to run the ball. Amazingly he is still very successful due to his ability. But what if he had the defense off balance so that they had no idea who was going to get the ball. They could no longer key solely on Carillo and would have to defend the whole field. Squires is a good enough back to rack up some yards if Carillo will suck the defense in more. This is just my opinion and I haven't had the pleasure of watching the Mustangs this year, but I really think that it would help. By the way...I think that the game is too close to call but I will give Sweetwater the edge by a field goal because they are playing at home.

i would have to totally agree with you vet93!

Ranger Mom
09-25-2002, 08:39 AM
I watched Sweetwater play, and I wouldn't consider Carillo selfish AT ALL. He is an awesome athlete. I'm not the most savvy on football here, but I did notice he normally looked for the open man, if he didn't find one, he took the ball and ran. And boy, can he run!!

pero chato
09-25-2002, 08:51 AM
I think we all agree that Carillo is a fine athlete. I don't for a minute think he is selfish. The coaches would "adjust" him if they thought he wasn't doing his job. Sweetwater's 2-2 record is a bit deceiving. A few breaks and they could be 3-1 or 4-0. Their defense has improved greatly over the last two games. Wylie will have all they can handle and more. Should be a great game. Here's to both teams being injury free and ready for district play!

whsfan
09-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Everybody is talking about the talents of Mr. Carrillo. The key question might be about the Sweetwater defense. Do they have the stuff to stop the Wylie offense?

pero chato
09-26-2002, 09:46 AM
I certainly hope our offense can get past their defense. I was duly impressed with our defense this last week stopping an explosive Graham offense. We are going to have to adjust our offense to keep scoring for 4 quarters this week. Last week Graham basically shut us down after the first quarter. Carillo has proved himself to be the man to stop for Sweetwater, so he gets a lot of deserved press. Outta be a great game.