PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Jaramillio is gone

IrishTex
10-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Dallas-raised Rudy Jaramillo, the Rangers hitting instructor for the last 15 seasons, has turned down the club's one-year contract offer and is preparing to explore the free agent market after his contract expires October 31.

Jaramillo, who turned 59 on September 20, has been a player, coach or manager in the Rangers' organization for 26 of his 31 years in baseball.

Rangers officials met with Jaramillo shortly after the season to extend the one-year offer but to also stipulate that the offense needed to improve. The Rangers ranked seventh in runs scored in the AL in 2009, but ranked 11th of 14 teams in batting average (.260) and 12th in on-base percentage (.320). There were concerns about the team's approach, particularly how often the Rangers swung at first pitches and put themselves in unfavorable hitting counts. Though the Rangers ranked in the middle of the pack in pitches per plate appearance (7th at 3.86), they had the highest percentage of first-pitch swings in the AL (31.1) last season.

During his tenure, Jaramillo has produced four MVPs (Juan Gonzalez twice, Ivan Rodriguez and Alex Rodriguez), a batting champ (Michael Young) and three home run champions (Alex Rodriguez 2001-03).

As mentioned earlier, the Cubs have no hitting instructor and Chicago Tribune columnist Phil Rogers has suggested the Cubs make a strong play for Jaramillo.

Source (http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/10/rudy-jaramillo-rangers-to-part-ways.html)

IrishTex
10-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Old friend and former Rangers beat writer Phil Rogers pens a missive this morning about the Cubs vacant hitting coach position in which he lobbies openly for the team to make a run at Rudy Jaramillo for the job.

"Jaramillo is the absolute perfect man for the Cubs' situation. He has worked successfully in the past with both Alfonso Soriano and Milton Bradley, the latter of whom is no guarantee to be eliminated over the offseason (unless general manager Jim Hendry releases him at a cost of $21 million). And he is well acquainted with manager Lou Piniella from the years Piniella spent in Seattle and Tampa."
The Rangers have offered Jaramillo a one-year contract to return, but have also indicated they need to see improvement from the offense.

The moral of this story is this: If the Rangers are willing to let him walk away when his contract expires on Halloween, he's going to be employed quickly. Maybe even before all the candy is eaten.

Source (http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/10/no-waiting-rudy-jaramillo-is-still-under-contract-to-rangers-but-they-are-clamoring-for-him-in-chicago.html)

IrishTex
10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
*****Update********
The rest of the Ranger coaching staff has been invited back for next season..according to www.theticket.com

WylieBulldog92
10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
*****Update********
The rest of the Ranger coaching staff has been invited back for next season..according to www.theticket.com
Well I thought they did a decent job.

crzyjournalist03
10-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Jaramillo is a free agent...he's earned the right to shop around. I don't blame him for not jumping at the Rangers 1-year offer, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him come back to them with a chance to match an offer that he'll get from another team.

I'm really torn about whether he should return to Texas or not.

rholl
10-14-2009, 02:03 PM
I like the reputation Rudy carries with MLB players but I wasn't impressed with the approach I saw from many of the Rangers this year. Hard to say if it was the message...lack of willingness from the players. Many people point to Kinsler's low average as a leadoff hitter but without a doubt 30 home runs 30 stolen bases and a .265 average will draw a bigger contract than a .290 hitter with 11 homeruns!!!!!

Macarthur
10-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Jaramillo is a free agent...he's earned the right to shop around. I don't blame him for not jumping at the Rangers 1-year offer, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him come back to them with a chance to match an offer that he'll get from another team.

I'm really torn about whether he should return to Texas or not.

I heard that he got a stern talking to by Nolan about how the approach has to change and Rudy didn't take well to it.

I think it's a good thing for the organization. I don't dislike Rudy, but his approach has not worked.

This team is at or near the bottom of the league every year in on base %. Watch the way teams like the yankees and red sox work pitchers. I don't care how many home runs you hit, if you don't get on base, you aren't going to win when it counts.

I also think it will be interesting to see if it really is Rudy or is it the ballpark.

This team needed a major philosophical shift in how they approach offense.

GATAPride77
10-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Rudy graduated from Sinton in 1975

rholl
10-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Macarthur, I agree they do need a shift in hitting philosophy but how do you combat the MLB trend of overpaying for the HR hitters ala Adam Dunn versus the contact hitter. Guys see big bucks getting thrown to big home runs hitters that hit .250 so whats the incentive???

Macarthur
10-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by rholl
Macarthur, I agree they do need a shift in hitting philosophy but how do you combat the MLB trend of overpaying for the HR hitters ala Adam Dunn versus the contact hitter. Guys see big bucks getting thrown to big home runs hitters that hit .250 so whats the incentive???

I understand your point, but it's been proven time and again that you can win without paying huge contracts to the offense. Sure, you need to score runs, but with the exception of maybe the Yankees, most of the playoff teams have much more money tied up in the pitching staff than they do hitters.

I think history has proven that there are three key elements to success late in the season and into the playoffs: Pitching, defense and hitters that know how to work pitchers.

And I think you will start to see a trend away from paying giant contracts to guys like that. However, one thing to think about with Dunn is that he walks a lot too. It's all about on-base %.