PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Call This? (Video)

Bullaholic
10-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Is this a touchdown, or was the holder's knee down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFWIzoxYQ4s&feature=player_embedded

88bobcats
10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
The holder is allowed to position the ball for a kick with his knee on the ground, and it's not considered "downing" the ball. Because it was blocked right back to him, and he had not completely stood up, I think it's O.K. for him to pick it up, whether his knee was down or not.

It's kind of like addressing the ball in golf. He had not yet made a "football move" and then put his knee down. He was still in a crouched position when he scooped the ball.

For this reason, I'd call it a TD.

As an aside, no one on the other team appears to consider the question of whether or not the ball is down. It appears that they "assume" that the game's over 'cause they blocked the kick. I think the Plymouth Coach (Sawchuck) is grasping at straws when he claims the knee was down. His players don't appear to me to be ENSURING that the play has ended. You can be sure that everyone will understand this rule from now on.

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2009, 11:21 AM
:iagree:

pirate4state
10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Isn't this already being discussed on the board? :devil:

Bullaholic
10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Isn't this already being discussed on the board? :devil:

Possibly, and you seem to manage to find em' all---I didn't look. Don't good 'stores' have more than 1 location? :D Maybe a merge is in order---Sorry.

pirate4state
10-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Possibly, and you seem to manage to find em' all---I didn't look. Don't good 'stores' have more than 1 location? :D I don't find them all, that's emerson. I guess we can start calling you Starbucks. You never have to look hard for those! :D

Bullaholic
10-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I don't find them all, that's emerson. I guess we can start calling you Starbucks. You never have to look hard for those! :D

That's MR. Starbucks, to you. :D Go cook some chicken enchiladas for lunch and UPS them to me. :inlove:

pirate4state
10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
That's MR. Starbucks, to you. :D Go cook some chicken enchiladas for lunch and UPS them to me. :inlove: Making some this weekend.

GreenMonster
10-14-2009, 12:15 PM
My question about the play is why was the kicking team's coach not flagged for crossing the numbers to tell his players to run?

88bobcats
10-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
My question about the play is why was the kicking team's coach not flagged for crossing the numbers to tell his players to run?

It appears that the Plymouth coaches go onto the field as well, just not as far. I don't know if that was noticed or considered.

I'm glad I don't have to call this one, 'cause I can see both sides of it. If I had to call it, I'd still call it as a TD.

I just hate to see games decided on plays like these. The PROSPER/WYLIE semi's. game comes to mind.....

CenTexSports
10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
I think the ball should have been blown dead when the holder gained possession with his knee down. That is a tough call for a five man crew because the Line Judge is under the goal and the Referee has responsibilities for the LJ sideline (as well as his regular duties) in case of a fake or botched snap.

If no one saw the ball being picked up by a player with his knee on the ground, then it is still a live ball and it is a touckdown.

The only thing I know for sure is it is an ugly play that no official wants to see happen on his watch.

Rabid Cougar
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Down by contact.

Mustangpride09
10-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Honestly, im willing to bet this play was blown dead immediately after the block. I just can't imagine 22 players, and not one of them realizing that just because a kick is blocked the play isn't dead. ESPECIALLY this being Michigan high schools. The majority of these kids probably love Michigan, so they all must have watched the App State - Michigan game. Just a big mistake on all the officials on this one.

blowfish
10-14-2009, 03:02 PM
All I know is if that had happened for Wylie there would be rioting in the streets all over Texas!

mwynn05
10-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I would just like to have one of our officials weigh in on this

ccmom
10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05

One did weigh in....on the other thread about this.

CenTexSports
10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
One weighed in on this thread.

TexMike
10-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05

Where to start....
1 - Coaches claim an official blew a whistle. I do not hear it but if they did, play was over. Down would be repeated due to the inadvertent whistle.

2 - The exemption that lets the holder have a knee down evaporates when there is no longer a player in position to make a kick or who had just simulated a kick. In this play, the kicker actually kicked so not sure the exemption still exists. The holder ceases to be the holder (by definition) once the kicker has had time to regain his balance.

3 - Coaches on the field did not appear to interfere so the penalty would have been handled as a dead ball foul. Since game was over, there would be no penalty enforcement. If refs ruled the coaches did interfere, then you could enforce as a live ball foul.

4 - Only 1 of the officials reacted as if he thought play was over. The other 4 seemed to be "playing on".

5 - How could this happen? I believe the NFHS rules make the ball dead when an extra point kick try gets blocked. I suspect that confused the players.

As for this being a hard play to officiate, I disagree. This crew only had 1 official at the posts. That meant the Referee only had to worry about the kicker and holder. He was looking right at the holder and the ball and would have had an excellent angle to determine if the knee was up before ball was possessed by "holder".

CenTexSports
10-14-2009, 07:45 PM
When I watched it, I did not see the official on the white sideline but that would have been the HL and I did see the LJ. So you are right about the mechanics. That menas that the Ref should have been on top of it all the way. He missed it.

I started white hatting again this year after 10 years on the wing and it is definitely different. I have a 4a game this Friday night.